No announcement yet.

Primal Journal-deMuralist

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If he asks or mentions, maybe instead of saying you are cutting grains that you are working to increase veggie intake.

Congrats on the loss. New lows are on your horizon........
    -- Ruth

Comment

• Good idea. He seems to be trying to lose weight and doing a bit of IF on his own. He has been skipping lunch from what I can tell. So I can just play on that. He doesn't need to lose weight but somehow has gotten into his head (thank you cardiologist who didn't bother to check the dexa scan but did check the BMI) that he should be 10 pounds less than his normal. He usually weighs between 185 and 190 and is 6' tall. I remember the dexa showed he was under 15% body fat (12% comes to mind but I may be wrong). Anyway he needs to focus on the quality of his calories instead of the quantity but what do I know? I am not a "world famous" cardiologist. My husband is a "question authority" kind of guy except when it comes to that cardiologist. He has a new one now and she didn't mention that he was 10 lbs. over weight (175 is what the world famous one wanted him to weigh) and honey was wondering why. I said maybe because she looked at your DEXA or even you and realized the BMI didn't tell the whole story? He just rolled his eyes.
      Chris
      "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
      Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• yeah on the weightloss and new couch! Oh and YOU WILL THE THE VEGGIE thingie-bob. I love mine!!

I saw the weather and wondered what TN would be getting.. we had 2 inches here and then are in for more snow/rain (wintry mix) friday and sat.
        Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

Comment

• the sun has been peaking through intermittently here. The "snow" has almost melted.

I hope I use the veggie thing-a-ma-bob! I have an apple corer/slicer that looks pretty much the same except that it cores and doesn't have interchangeable blades, very rarely use it. Actually tried to see if I could take the corer part off and make it work as a zoodler but no luck. I am hopeful. I also joined the winter CSA which starts next week, so thinking I will have things to zoodle.
          Chris
          "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
          Unknown

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• up a little after an UD, to be expected so no problem. Today is a DD, so far so good. Of course this isn't the part of the day that is a problem!

I got a "new" couch. a co-worker could not fit her parlor couch into her new home so I bought it from her for $100. It is a 1920's craftsman style in pristine condition. Very sturdy and perfect for our house. So much nicer than what we had. The one we had is an Ethan Allen, so a good one, but just worn past easy repair. Re-upholstering it would have cost more than a new Ethan Allen couch and the new ones are not as well built as the one we had, which is not as well built or sturdy as the one I just got.
            Chris
            Unknown

Comment

• Picture? Post on Pinterest?
              -- Ruth

Comment

• I will post it on Pinterest when I get home from work.
                Chris
                Unknown

Comment

• Originally posted by demuralist View Post
                  up a little after an UD, to be expected so no problem. Today is a DD, so far so good. Of course this isn't the part of the day that is a problem!

I got a "new" couch. a co-worker could not fit her parlor couch into her new home so I bought it from her for $100. It is a 1920's craftsman style in pristine condition. Very sturdy and perfect for our house. So much nicer than what we had. The one we had is an Ethan Allen, so a good one, but just worn past easy repair. Re-upholstering it would have cost more than a new Ethan Allen couch and the new ones are not as well built as the one we had, which is not as well built or sturdy as the one I just got.
                  Craftsman style furniture is awesome.... and if it's original Stickley or Greene and Greene, or one of the other famous names, you gots a bit o history on your hands and a fair piece of value as well.....

Comment

• Pssssstttttt.... Hey you. Where are you?

Sent from my iPad using Marks Daily Apple Forum
                    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

Comment

• I'm baaack. I was in Phoenix, and Sedona, and Cottonwood, and Jerome, and Scottsdale. We met the couple who introduced us. So fun! When we were dating we ate dinner with this couple most nights, took swing dance lessons with them, and took weekend trips. Now that we live in different cities and my kids are away at college we have decided to start taking weekend trips again. this was a very long weekend, but still love spending time with the people who know us best and longest as a couple.

This trip I only gained 4 pounds. Not sure why it is so much less than Charleston, we walked way less. But our emphasis was much more on scenery than food.

Anyway I am back home now, and getting ready for the rest of the year. Boo comes home tomorrow night, Dudla on Wednesday night, and mom arrives on Friday. The kids go back on Sunday, but mom is with us till Christmas.

Dudla has been in touch with someone who works in the lab with Dr. G. She is the medical examiner for Orange County, Fl, and had a tv show on the discovery science channel for a long time, and is the reason that Dudla wanted to become a forensic pathologist. Well the young lady who works as one of her assistants was my brother's kids nanny while she put herself through school and she has arranged for Dr. G to give Dudla a tour while we are there for the holidays. Needless to say Dudla is beyond excited.

Tomorrow is my DD and Thursday is supposed to be as well but I will likely switch it to Friday, though it is my intention to only eat one meal a day throughout the weekend.

@Doc, pretty sure it is not Stickley (my memory is that Stickley had the slatted sides on their furniture and was a bit heavier in looks than mine is), and neither does it have any of the beautiful joinery that Greene and Greene are known for. Not sure if this will work but here is a link to a picture of it on Pinterest Pin by Chris Hackenbrack on for the home | Pinterest
                      Chris
                      Unknown

Comment

• So well yesterday did not end up being a DD. I think I need to be real with myself. I am not going to follow in P's footsteps and set myself a challenge to prove I can do it. That is not what I am about right now. So I will set myself up a minor challenge...I need to go grain free, when I am I am pain free when I am not, well, even if my IBD doesn't flare my abdomen is uncomfortable. I will adjust recipes that I can reasonably adjust (pecan crust for the pumpkin pie) and skip eating the things that just aren't worth the effort to alter or that the family would miss (stuffing/dressing).

I plan to just eat in a 4 hour window until next week, with the kids home and it being Thanksgiving, well no use being so hard on myself, I will work to maintain my weight and get back on the losing weight band wagon once the kids get back to school.

Mom arrives on Friday morning, and actually she is very helpful when it comes to eating and food. She lost 75 pounds over the course of a couple of years and has kept it off for at least 5 years now. She is supportive of whatever I am doing, never naggy or irritating about it (well or anything really). I am so excited to have her with us!!!
                        Chris
                        Unknown

Comment

• I'm excited you get your kids and then your mom with you.

I had really wanted to keep losing weight, but this week and last week, I'm just maintaining. But, hey, wait, I'm maining at 10 lb lower than where I was many months ago. It's not ideal, but it IS realistic. And, this is life. There's always going to be TDay and Christmas and other special days. Just need to get right back on the train after I enjoy things instead of letting it go all until January. [I'm mostly grain free as well, but for my stuffing, I don't have the energy to make a homemade grain free bread. I don't like it anyway, so I will make it for the boys, who probably won't like my version anyway]
                          -- Ruth

Comment

• I am trying to learn that I can enjoy Thanksgiving feast and Christmas feast and the occasional party or special event as long as I don't do a daily treat or even a weekly treat. I do make homemade yogurt and add some nuts and seeds and dried fruit to it a few times a week and that is my treat (as well as a health boost). As long as I do learn this then I do not have to fear the holidays or deprive myself of those things I rarely make.

Boo went out last night, didn't leave the house till we were watching Jimmy Fallon (so almost 11 our time). No telling when he came in, but he is probably still sleeping! Dudla should be home by now unless they got stuck behind an accident or something.

Dudla sent me a message with 4 recipes she would like to try, unfortunately not until after I had already done the grocery shopping, but we should be able to make reasonable facsimiles of 3 of them.

My co-worker just decided to go to lunch when she knew that I was planning to leave early, shit. She comes in late, leaves early, and takes long lunches. When she gets back I will go ahead and head home. It is ok though because I was going to run an errand on the way home and decided to buy online instead.

I am doing a photo transfer onto canvas as a thank you to the couple we spent the night with in Cottonwood. It is a photo I took of their view from their back door and photoshopped out an electric pole and its wires. I needed the canvas, but just ordered a pack so I can do more of these. I am also going to use calligraphy to write a quote on it (have not narrowed down the quote yet, but I have time). Here is the link to the photo on pinterest http://www.pinterest.com/pin/188588303122131792/
                            Chris
                            Unknown

Comment

• Do you have a go-to fudge recipe? Millions on Pinterest...............
                              -- Ruth

Comment

• Primal Journal-deMuralist

This one is from my grandmother...

5 minute peppermint fudge.....
                                1 can sweetened condensed milk - 14oz
                                1 12oz bag chocolate chips -3C
                                1/2 tsp peppermint extract or your choice of flavor (vanilla or maple)
                                1/4 C crushed candy canes or nuts (optional)

Line an 8x8 or 9x9 baking dish with foil & leave "handles" to pull it out after it cools
                                Heat condensed milk in saucepan and add chocolate to melt but don't let it boil. Stir constantly.
                                Once melted add your extract of choice.
                                Pour into prepared pan and sprinkle with candy if using or nuts or leave plain.
                                Cover with Saran Wrap let sit 4 hours or overnight.
                                Lift with the foil handles and cut into small squares.

I have a more traditional one if you want but this is the one we always use. We often switch out 12oz of a dark chocolate for the chips as it can be a bit sweet. You could also make sweetened condensed coconut milk and add coconut flakes too.
                                Last edited by demuralist; 11-26-2014, 03:45 PM.
                                Chris
                                Unknown

Comment

Working...
                                X