No announcement yet.

Primal Journal-deMuralist

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sorry, actually you are right, and my sexism showed in that comment. Because while most rapes are perpetrated by men on women, not all are. And it was my own bias and not that of the organization she is working with, that was showing there. The general mantra is "Don't Rape" (as opposed to "don't get raped"). However, in my defense, in the situations she is working to prevent, rapes of college students, it is most likely that a man will rape a woman that he knows or is at least acquainted with, and truthfully not even consider it a rape. It’s really hard to prevent campus sexual assault when rapists don’t see themselves as rapists - Salon.com So, studies support that it could be a good thing to do. It would be a mandatory class for everyone, not just silly men, to recognize the scenarios and prevent the occurrence. It would be included as part of the entire orientation week of seminars and classes. It is about coming at the problem from every possible angle, and not just telling girls to not dress too sexy or not to drink, etc. But you are right, I was sexist there and for that I apologize.
    Last edited by demuralist; 08-29-2014, 08:26 AM.
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• No need to apologize, we all come at things with personal bias and experience. The larger issue I have is with institutionalized sexism. For example, until 2012 the FBI's definition of forcible rape was “the carnal knowledge of a female forcibly and against her will.” It puts a bit of a dent in male rape victim statistics if until 2012 the FBI didn't even consider it possible for a man to be forcibly raped. If I remember correctly in England a man can still not be raped only sexually assaulted. Also, if one includes prison, men are raped more than women in the U.S. Not only that but in the latest National Crime Victimization Survey (Bureau of Justice) 38% of household rape/sexual violence was directed towards men, and in 46% of the cases the perpetrator was a woman.

quick summary article: Male rape in America: A new study reveals that men are sexually assaulted almost as often as women.

So yes, I agree women, especially in college, may be the majority of the victims but not by the kind of margin the establishment likes to portray, not to mention there are far more resources for female victims. I wont even get started on the b.s. that is domestic violence.

**edit - my apologies if this seems to be directed at you. That is not the case. I think it is awesome any time rape awareness is taught and all of that is good. I just deal with governmental programs on rape awareness all the time and they are very much skewed towards the woman. So yeah, that is my bias showing.**
      Last edited by canio6; 08-29-2014, 08:43 AM.

Comment

• totally with you on all that you have said. And my daughter does a much better job than I of explaining her programs. In the end, her point is that an amazing amount of victim blaming goes on (and actually men definitely bear the brunt of this when they are the victim), and that there is some education that needs to happen in order to shift the focus to the perpetrator after the fact and preventing the rape before the fact. And a big part of their programing actually does focus on the fact that it is not just men who rape women, their programming is totally gender neutral and basically all about consent. And current events and investigations are showing that there are not enough resources on campuses in general for either prevention or for victims, regardless of gender.

I also like the definition in the article you linked..."nonconsensual sexual contact"
        Chris
        "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
        Unknown

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• The best way to cut down on rapes is to teach potential victims how to effectively stab rapists in the neck, shoot them in the face, or use thumbs to pop their eyeballs like grapes.

Rapists gonna rape, regardless of education classes...

Sent via lightsaber

Comment

• Originally posted by demuralist View Post
            And current events and investigations are showing that there are not enough resources on campuses in general for either prevention or for victims, regardless of gender.
            Which blows my mind as this is not a new issue. It was an issue 20+ years ago when I was in college. Give Dudla a ^5 from me for getting the resources out there.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
              The best way to cut down on rapes is to teach potential victims how to effectively stab rapists in the neck, shoot them in the face, or use thumbs to pop their eyeballs like grapes.

Rapists gonna rape, regardless of education classes...

Sent via lightsaber
              unfortunately, I fear you are right here. My daughter is just young enough and enthusiastic enough to think she can actually change the world, not been jaded yet.
              Last edited by demuralist; 08-29-2014, 01:35 PM.
              Chris
              Unknown

Comment

• Originally posted by canio6 View Post
                Which blows my mind as this is not a new issue. It was an issue 20+ years ago when I was in college. Give Dudla a ^5 from me for getting the resources out there.
                which sort of speaks to Mr. Anthony's point unfortunately. But I give Dudla credit for trying! Thanks, she can use the support.
                Chris
                Unknown

Comment

• Congratulations girl! I was out most of the day and just saw this.

Congrats to Dudla as well for her activism and future possibilities.
                  Primal since 9/24/2010
                  "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
                  MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Comment

• thanks on both counts!!!
                    Chris
                    Unknown

Comment

• So I am spotting a trend in my 4:3, it is actually a 4:1:1:1

Sunday, my first day back after the 2 days of non-fasting and what I consider the start of the week, is very difficult to stay under 500 calories. But it is usually under 700, which is still very good. Then I have a weekday non-fasting day on Monday (i.e.. no treats or desserts just food), so Tuesday is my first work day and a fast day which is much easier since I didn't go crazy on Monday and I usually hit the 500 mark here. then Wednesday is a repeat of Monday. By Thursday I am used to a bit of restriction and letting hunger pass and so I generally come in around 300 calories.

So on balance, I do have 1500 calories total on my down days, and 4 days of eating what I want, and it is working. That makes me happy!
                      Chris
                      Unknown

Comment

• WOW!! Down 50 lbs. You are so close! I would call it Your body is catching up with you.

I have to admit I am biased towards rape being a problem of men as well. And while Mr. A is right on the self defense, imagine if a man did that to a woman. All hell would break loose and no one would believe she was trying to rape him. I understand it happens and still have a hard time picturing it. I love that Dudla is still naive enough to beieve she can make a change. We need more people who believe that!
                        You know all those things you wanted to do: You should go do them.

Age 48
                        height 5'3
                        SW 215 lbs
                        CW 180 lbs (whole foods/primal eating)
                        LW 172 lbs
                        GW 125ish lbs

Comment

• Originally posted by valmason01 View Post
                          I understand it happens and still have a hard time picturing it.
                          Imagine you are a young college student. You have three roomates in a 4 BR apartment. A couple of roomates are having a party. You have a few drinks and fall asleep in your room. You don't lock the door, why would you? It's your house. You feel strange and think you are having a dream. It is realistic and feels like what you imagine sex to be like (you're a virgin and saving yourself for marriage but hell, you can imagine). You open your eyes. It's not a dream. Some woman is on top of you. You are confused and taken aback. You tell her to get the f*ck off of you. You push her onto the floor. The door opens and everyone laughs and wants to know wtf your problem is. You're finally scoring man. You should be happy. It is a source of comedy for weeks.

Yeah, good times. Go Gators.

Comment

• unfortunately, I can imagine many scenarios in which a woman could/would rape a man. Especially when you consider the definition of consent. (UT just posted their definition on their web site-thanks to Dudla's SEAT team!) Now that women are in positions of power there are many more "opportunities" for non-consensual sexual activity to occur, and of course that is what rape is.

On the other hand, It would be very difficult for a man to claim he was being raped (unfortunately in our society) and was acting in self defense if he did do something very physical to fend it off.

Truthfully this all falls under the types of things that Dudla's group is fighting to stop.
                            Chris
                            Unknown

Comment

• And the best part, if a woman rapes a man and becomes pregnant, he gets to pay child support for 18 years.

Comment

• Originally posted by canio6 View Post
                                And the best part, if a woman rapes a man and becomes pregnant, he gets to pay child support for 18 years.
                                Wow...has that ever happened that you know of?
                                Good to get a different view point on such a horrible subject.
                                You know all those things you wanted to do: You should go do them.

Age 48
                                height 5'3
                                SW 215 lbs
                                CW 180 lbs (whole foods/primal eating)
                                LW 172 lbs
                                GW 125ish lbs

Comment

Working...
                                X