• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yeah, I gotta have a nut less carrot cake lol
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

Comment

• Karin, that first link goes to a nut less, gluten free carrot cake, where if I remember correctly she also give dairy free suggestions. She uses mostly rice flour, which may even count as Resistant Starch!

253 down .8 after a not so down day. It wasn't an up day though, just a middle day. Today will be an up day.

So my low was 247.3 in mid December. Then Christmas and New Year's was good for a 10 pound gain, the funeral was good for another 7, where on February 12th I hit the high of 264.4, so from mid-December to mid-February I gained 17 pounds. Since then, there has been a pretty steady, though decidedly bumpy, progression down the scale, and I am now within 6 pounds of undoing that damage. It took about 2 months to gain the 17, and it will take just a tad over 2 months to lose it (at this rate), thus dispelling for me the myth that it takes longer to lose it than to gain it, if I am looking at the big picture. I like this because it teaches me to watch the trends over time as opposed to what the scale says on any given day.

Today is cake baking day, everybody cross their fingers. I will post a photo of the finished product.
      Chris
      "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
      Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• I am crossing my fingers....

Chris, do you have a go-to Cheesecake recipe? I need something easy, but totally awesome...
        -- Ruth

Comment

• I don't BUT cheesecake is really about technique rather than ingredients so here is a link with great instructions...How To Make Cheesecake That Will Amaze Your Friends | The Kitchn Note though that I don't personally use a water bath to bake mine, I usually just cook at a very low temperature (225 or so), and then use a topping to cover the cracks if any form.

I do have an amazing recipe for a creamy lime pie, that is really a lime cheese. Fantastic if you are doing a spicy meal. Instead of the crust the recipe calls for I usually either skip the crust (sometimes making it in individual ramekins and top with a candied lime piece) or do a pretzel crust (basically the same as a graham cracker crust but with pretzels-you can actually use just about crunchy thing to make this kind of crust). I can email you a photo of that one if you want it. It uses condensed milk (which if I remember correctly you have a recipe to make with coconut milk), cream cheese, and lime juice and has a slightly sweetened creme fraiche topping.

Just finished baking the cakes...honestly I think this is the most amazing smelling thing I have ever baked. I have no idea why, but OMG!!!

Honey is so cute, he couldn't go to the Wellness Center today (staffing cuts so it is closed on weekends now), so he is roaming around the house. He sort of knows what I am doing but he doesn't want to spoil his surprise, but he really wants to know what I am doing in the kitchen, so he keeps roaming through trying to see what recipes I have sitting out, and he just walked through and saw the cakes on the cooling rack and is acting like he didn't. So funny.
          Chris
          "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
          Unknown

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• rats, it is not looking hopeful, the only thing that may save this one is a suggestion to put the first layer with the cream on top into the fridge to let it set before I put the second layer on top.
            Chris
            Unknown

Comment

• Bummer.... willing to bet it tastes amazing though...:-)

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app
              -- Ruth

Comment

• actually, yes, by far the best tasting cream I have made so far! And best smelling cake I have ever baked. It could still work, we'll see.

So I got cocky, it all looked the same as the pictures in the recipe, so I figured I was safe. I decided not to use the gelatin, because, well I have never used it this way before and it veered from the recipe. Next year I will use the same recipe with the addition of using the gelatin in the whipped creme fraiche and that should make it perfect.
                Last edited by demuralist; 04-05-2014, 01:00 PM.
                Chris
                Unknown

Comment

• ok, scraped off the cream, added gelatin, still not stiff enough to hold the top layer so I added gelatin to a half a cup of whipped cream that I whipped stiff, folded that in and buddy that is it. Still tastes great, now I just have to do the ganache.
                  Chris
                  Unknown

Comment

• :-)

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app
                    -- Ruth

Comment

• Rats forgot to take a picture. Anyway...Absolutely amazing flavor! One of the best cakes I have ever made taste wise. The cream did stiffen up and held the layer on and stayed put while I cut it. The ganache was heavenly. BUT. The cake was a bit dry (easy fix, just don't cook it so long) and a bit too spongie (maybe I over mixed it, not sure but will look it up and correct it next year). And next year I will go with the gelatin straight away in the cream so I don't have to scrape it off, it was an excellent suggestion. Tomorrow I will makes notes so I can do it perfect next year.

Fun night too.
                      Chris
                      Unknown

Comment

• Yeah for a good cake. Sounds like date night was fun!!
                        Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

Comment

• 255.2 up 2.2, no surprise here. Lots of food (cheese and cake) and drink (BFF brought me a bottle of Italian wine that was likely my favorite, and well, it was very good), and not near enough water, no ACV or dandelion root tea.

We always have a great time together. Today is Honey's birthday, so I will make him some PB ice cream tonight.

I am going to paint the entry arch and window sills at the Youth Reno today. That will just leave the 2 discussion rooms to paint, and my part in that is just to do the faux finish on the exterior walls, and I have found 3 helpers for that so essentially maybe 3 more hours. So there is light at the end of the tunnel.
                          Chris
                          Unknown

Comment

• How did the painting go?
                            -- Ruth

Comment

• I tried to upload photos but got a "upload fail network error" message. I finished the faux painting on the arch and the solid color on the side of the arch most of the congregation sees. I also finished the window sills. So I got all the tasks done that I could. I am happy with how it all looks and that I get a break from painting there for a while because they need to empty the discussion rooms and paint the base there before I go back.
                              Chris
                              Unknown

Comment

• 254.8 down .4 which is kind of surprising, because while I did end up going all day without eating because I painted at church till 5pm, I did come home and finish off the meat from the pot roast and then had a huge piece of cake for dessert, and TTOM started. (why the heck am I not done with that yet?????).

So my plan today is to act like a plumber and fix the toilet in the master bathroom. I need to change the insides, HATE doing this, I am a terrible plumber, but totally not worth $200 to call someone, last time I did this it took all day, could not get it to seal properly. This time I got a new "easiest thing to do" (so said the worker at Home Depot) kit. I will keep you posted.

I also need to finish cleaning the house. I had planned to paint our house numbers on our front door (the numbers we had were small, in a weird location, and the same color as the background), but forgot to print them before I left work on Friday (plan to make a stencil) so that is a project that will have to wait for next weekend.

I just spent an hour, trying to find something to check out at my library for my nook to read on the treadmill, jeez, for a such a big city we really have a crappy library! It is funny because one of the bumper stickers you see around town a lot is "a city with a great library is a great city". The public library in Alachua County (Gainesville Florida=small town) was 10x's better. Wish I still had my library card, I could download from there, we certainly paid enough property taxes there that I should have gotten to keep the privilege.
                                IMG_0943.jpgIMG_0942.jpg

These are not very good photos, they don't show all the nuances of color, (the raised ceiling is actually brown, and there are a lot more spots of color in the arch) but it shows what I have been working on, the first is the close up of the side of the arch the youth see as they are going into the rest of the church structure. And the second one is from the end of the hall so you can get an idea of the size of the area, it also shows the checkerboard floor, though I didn't think to take a picture of the big room we have been working on. I will do that next time I am there.
                                Last edited by demuralist; 04-07-2014, 08:13 AM.
                                Chris
                                Unknown

Comment

Working...
                                X