Primal Journal-deMuralist

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by demuralist View Post
    yeah! I would be so sad to have this smell permeate the house and then not get to eat it (tomorrow being a down day and Saturday being company).

The cakes have always tasted good, but the cream in the middle is always too liquid and thus the top layer either slides off or squishes the cream out. For my taste I would rather just do a layer cake with frosting between the layers, but this is what his grandmother made for his every year and so I keep up the tradition in my own sad way.
    Can you a some gelatin to the cream pudding layer? Let it set up a bit before assembling the cake? I also bet you flops are still spectacular! Plus the home made cakes are " real" in a way that the perfect store bought ones will never be

Comment

• mmm...cake. nuff said lol

However, April is the month for birthdays so we will have cake.. from a mix and from the store. lol
      Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

Comment

• adding a bit of gelatin to the creme is a great idea, I will try it. Oh, no, he would never complain and actually brags on it all the time, it is all me.

For me, truthfully it is much easier to do a scratch cake than boxed, because I always have the ingredients on hand. Now they are old since I make them so rarely, but they still work. So much easier for me than keeping boxes of cake mix around, cause everyone's birthday is a different flavor, heck one of them is a pie. I will break down and do store bought if I am out of town though.
        Chris
        "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
        Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• ok, the pastry cream is half done, and so far it looks like the pictures in the recipe. The recipe calls for adding whipped creme fraiche to the pastry cream, I have not done this before and it is supposed to help stabilize the cream. Also, the directions were very specific about how long to boil and stir the cream and what it should look like, so I am feeling pretty good about it. It is supposed to get so stiff that it might require whipping before I can fold in the creme fraiche. If that is not the case then I am going to go ahead and add the gelatin to the creme fraiche when I whip it. If not, then I will continue to meticulously follow the recipe.

I also made some eye lotion that is luxurious and supposed to help reduce puffy eyes. The recipe...

1/2 oz shaved bee's wax
          5 drops of glycerin (optional)
          2 oz of almond oil
          5 drops of your fav essential oil (optional, I used lavender)

Melt in microwave or double boiler (I used a mason jar, since that is what I was going to use to mix it in). Let cool a bit but not all the way to room temperature. (I put it in the fridge for a bit less than 5 minutes) then I gave it a whirl with the whip attachment to my stick blender.

Then here you are going to make a mayonnaise basically...take 4 oz of Aloe Gel (99% pure aloe) and VERY slowly drip some into the above mix and whip, then add more and whip, keep going until you get all of the Aloe incorporated. It should end up looking pretty much like mayo, since you took an oil and added a water type substance (the aloe) and created an emulsion. I put it in 4 small sterilized mason jars. I am going to give some to BFF, Mom, and sis.

If you put it in the fridge, it will work better to reduce swelling under the eyes and hold up better. I will keep you posted on how much younger it makes me look.
          Chris
          "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
          Unknown

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• Aha, now I know why your DH and I are so alike...our birthdays must be within a day or two of eachother

Ugh, I keep forgetting to mail your book. I will try to remember tomorrow. Sorry (tough week!).
            -- Ruth

Comment

• His is the 6th, though probably quite a few years before you!

No hurry on the book, don't stress about it, I appreciate the chance to borrow it at all. Plus I am sure it will take me quite a while to get around to reading the whole thing.
              Last edited by demuralist; 04-04-2014, 05:59 AM.
              Chris
              Unknown

Comment

• 253.8 up.2 after a "normal" day. I had over 8,000 steps and 9 sets of stairs yesterday, just from running errands, if I could have gotten my lazy butt on the treadmill I would have easily gone over my 10,000 goal. Oh well, woulda, coulda, shoulda don't get it done.

Work today, then prepping for dinner (well working on the cake) for tomorrow.

The crock pot roast was perfect! I may have to do frozen meat in the crock pot more often.
                Chris
                Unknown

Comment

• Can I put in a request for a gluten-free carrot cake?
                  -- Ruth

Comment

• Originally posted by RMS123 View Post
                    Can I put in a request for a gluten-free carrot cake?
                    GF carrot cake?!?!
                    Recipe, pleeeeaaaase?
                    Thx!
                    K

Comment

• me three!! (minus nuts of course). Lily's birthday is the 7th.. she is in good company!
                      Karin

Comment

• Mine is the 5th, Chris's DH's is the 6th, and Lily is the 7th. Are they both stubborn? That's what my mom says about me

I don't know that Chris has a recipe, I just figured that since she's such a good baker, she could figure out how to make me a good one Karin, tell me again, when is yours? Soon, right?
                        -- Ruth

Comment

• Oh my is she stubborn!!! Nothing like her mom . hahah. Mine is the 13th.
                          Karin

Comment

• My grandfather's was the 3rd, one of my sisters' is the the 10th, another sister's is the 11th and my grandmother's was the 12th.

In May, 4 people that share/shared the same birthday- my dad, my son, second niece and best friend's daughter.

Comment

• sorry double post
                              Last edited by demuralist; 06-30-2014, 07:02 AM.
                              Chris
                              Unknown

Comment

• sorry, if I do it I do it the old fashioned way. Plain ole white flour and straight up white sugar. It is a rare event so I just go for it. OMG, I have so much trouble with this cake anyway, it would be a nightmare to try for gluten free! Carrot cake shouldn't be that hard to do Gluten free though, right? This looks likely, though it seems complicated to me, and I am pretty sure powdered sugar has cornstarch in it (is that gluten?)Gluten Free Carrot Cake | Gluten Free Recipes | Gluten Free Recipe Box and this one looks nice and much less complicated Flourless Carrot Cake with Mascarpone Frosting Recipe | Diethood Though if it was me, I would likely do something more like this Carrot Cake Larabar Bites | My Whole Food Life or just pancakes Carrot Cake Pancakes - Dessert Now, Dinner Later! with mascarpone or cream cheese on top. Nut issues there though, sorry. Darn it is a down day and this talk is making me hungry!

My Dudla's birthday is May 12, she is 21 this year (OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
                                Chris
                                Unknown

Comment

Working...
                                X