No announcement yet.

Primal Journal-deMuralist

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it possible/feasible to ship items to him that he can not take when he rides with his friend?

Glad you will be home in this weather though. Around here they are warning everyone to take precautions not so much for the snow, we are not getting much but for the sub zero temps.

Sent from my KFOT using Tapatalk 2
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

Comment

• He is riding with his buddy, but at the moment their plan is to go on Monday, they may actually end up having to go Tuesday if they don't leave here by about 4pm today. They are now predicting much less snow here and along their route than earlier predictions (less than an inch), but the predictions for temps is that they will be lower. So ice on the roads could be an issue, except that their route is 99.9% major highways that are heavily traveled and salted. Their route is also along the lower edge of the worst of the weather as currently predicted. Their classes don't start until Wednesday, so there is some leeway there. Dudla goes back today, and unfortunately there is not enough room in that car to take Boo as well, (small car and everyone is taking back their winter clothes and coats) or he would be riding with them.

Yesterday was a fairly reasonable up day, I did indulge in some less than nutritious calories, (a single cookie and 1/2C of ice cream-cookie was worth the calories the ice cream was not) but small amounts, so I don't feel too badly about that. I did have 2 handfuls of pecans-nutritious but too many basically. I dressed this morning before coming out of our bedroom because we have overnight guests, so I didn't weigh myself this morning.

I did get my iced coffee with collagen, my 50oz green tea, my 50oz ACV, and additional iced and hot teas, so plenty of fluids. I got in a good serving of beef and a large salad as well as some sautéed cabbage at dinner. Lunch was some protein powder pancakes we are experimenting with so Dudla can get some added protein in a way that fits with her plan and tastes (cream cheese, eggs, protein powder cooked in CO) with a raspberry spread. I did have a very small taste of the beef soup I made as a "snack" and am looking forward to that for lunch today.

Today, I am feeling very nourished, still a bit puffy, so I will still be pushing the fluids, and focusing on nutritious calories. Life will be getting back to "normal" this week.
      Chris
      "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
      Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• To get rid of cankles it took me 3 days.

Glad Boo found a ride

Karin

Comment

• Almost a month off track, I can't expect a day to put me back on.

Honey is now stressing me about the weather, like I can do anything about the weather or when they leave (these are college kids now right, too old and too young to take advice from their parents). Luckily though there is a reasonable window of time for them to get back, but I admit I will feel a little sick to my stomach till I know they are safely in their dorms.
          Chris
          "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
          Unknown

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• Read the following article and while you have moved to a standing desk, the following moves during the day may help..love the term movement snacks.

Departments GETTING UNSTUCK-PART1

MOVEMENT

BY : ADAM FARRAH

It's no secret that I spend a lot of time working, and most of that time is spent on a computer in a seated position.

Advice about taking time out to move and play and work out is great, but what if your body isn't able to make the transition from sitting to moving so easily? What if your body -the wonderfully adaptable and complex system that it is – has developed a wide range of patterns that have adapted it very well to sitting and working?

Starting in January 2013, I began work on the new edition of my book, The Paleo Dieter's Missing Link. A wonderful and exciting project that also brought with it a ton of "seat time" at the computer and a lot of pressure, deadlines and hard work. My plan was to work on the book all winter and train both at home and in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and CrossFit in formal gym settings.

As I ramped up my training, I started to experience two problems. The first was that I had a hard time peeling myself away from the computer work to move. I was simply more comfortable sitting and working both mentally and physically. My mind and body literally didn't want to move – I was stuck in every sense of the word. The second problem was that I kept getting injured in my training. Most of these injuries were in the posterior chain, primarily hamstrings, glutes and lower back.

I determined that had a number of muscle imbalances, movement pattern issues and inflexibility problems. Essentially, my body became unhealthy, even injured, from sitting and working.

Think about that for a minute. Our culture has become so sedentary, work-focused and computer-dependent that we can actually become injured – by sitting at a desk!

In this series, I’ll detail some of the movements, routines and strategies I've used to get myself moving again and start to restore health and vitality to my body. It hasn't come overnight, but currently, I have virtually no back pain and haven't suffered a training related injury in a while.

“ FUNNY HOW PEOPLE , AFTER YEARS OF PHYSICAL NEGLECT , THINK THEY CAN BRUTALIZE THEIR BODY BACK TO FITNESS IN A MATTER OF WEEKS.”

—ERWAN LE CORRE

Consider this an invitation to explore your body, ask it questions and see what it tells you. Our bodies will tell us what we need to know if we learn to listen and hear them.

Also, remember that there are many ways to work with your body. An eclectic collection of techniques, done slowly, safely and consistently, has been much better for me than making a massive research project out of taking care of and nurturing myself.

Try this short sequence as a “Movement Snack” (credit Frank Forencich for the term) a few times a day as a break from sitting. They’ll make a big difference. THE BASICS

The major areas we have problems with when we sit a lot are going to be closed hips, tight hamstrings and rounded shoulders. The front of the body also "closes up" and we don't breathe fully. In yogic terms, our "heart" or "Heart Chakra" closes. SHOULDERS,T-SPINE AND BREATHING

Start by standing up tall and straight. Interlace your fingers and turn your hands inside out. On an exhale, bring your arms up over your head. You want to get tall, keep a strong low back and legs, and gently work your arms up overhead.

Inhale and really open up your chest to let the breath in as you bend the elbows.

You can do multiple breaths here, moving your arms with each breath. Exhale arms up and get nice and tall. Inhale, open the body, and bend the elbows. Do anywhere from 6 to 12 inhale and exhale cycles.

OPENING THE HE ART AND THORACIC SPINE

With your body starting to warm up, move your hands behind your back and interlace the fingers. Move into a gentle backbend here. Work on opening the heart and aim the curve into the upper back, right behind the heart center. Be careful not to dump any pressure into the lower back or strain that area – keep the curve in the upper back. Stay here for a few breaths and enjoy opening your heart and breathing fully. Breathe all the way down the front of the body into your lower abdomen and pelvic region.

If you’d like, you can release the arms and bring them overhead. This is a deeper backbend and will really open the front of the body. This pose is called ‘The Bow’ and is used in Bioenergetic healing. I feel it in my hips mostly and my body usually shakes as energy is released in this pose. The energy released is all the trapped energy from keeping a closed front of the body while sitting.

Come to a nice neutral stance and take a few breaths here. At this point, you’ll probably feel some tingling in your fingers and other parts of your body as you wake up and things get flowing.

Come to your knees gently and take a few more breaths here. Keep your spine straight and your head up. Really fill your lungs with breath and exhale completely as you breathe.

DOWNWARD DOG AND PLANK

From the kneeling position, move forward into a nice strong Plank Pose with the hands under the shoulders. Stay here for a few breaths while you build heat in the body.

Keep your hands where they are and, on the exhale, pull your body backward using your hips, to move into Downward Dog. Move between Downward Dog and Plank for 6-12 repetitions. Move into Downward Dog on the exhale and into Plank on the inhale.

Work into Downward Dog slowly as you get into your shoulders and gently stretch out the hamstrings and calves. Gently work your heels to the ground and don’t worry if they actually touch. You should feel like your hips are being pulled back and up.

Go easy on your hamstrings and calves and gently work them loose as you move between the two positions. Relax your head and neck, and your jaw and tongue. Feel free to stay in Downward Dog for multiple inhales and exhales while you work the tightness out of your legs and upper back.

HIPS

Move from Downward Dog straight into a Lunge by bringing one foot forward to the inside of the same side hand and then standing up.

Relax into the stretch on the exhale and go for 6-12 breaths per side. You can return to Downward Dog before changing sides if you’d like. Note that I’m stretching the hip that’s furthest from the camera in this picture. To open the hip more, use a slight forward pressure on the hip while straightening the back and opening the chest.

Try these movements in this sequence a few times a day as a short break from sitting and working. Go slow and explore your body.

Be sure to visit the Paleo Magazine website for videos of Adamdoing these movements to help you alongand see them inmotion. PALEOMAGONLINE.COM

Karin

Comment

• essentially a Sun Salutation, I have been known to do these on occasion, but it is not in my repertoire of daily movements (not that anything that resembles exercise is yet), something I do need to add for flexibility though.

Yoga 101: Sun Salutations Explained | ShiningSoulYoga
              Chris
              Unknown

Comment

• 259.6, which means that 2 days of nutrition have stopped the upward progression of the scale. It makes me feel good to know that I can eat with a focus on nutrition and not really worry about calories and it will keep my 4:3 stable. So today is a fast day, come hell or high water.

My plan for my fitness regime in a perfect world...
                1. 4:3, M-W-F or Sa as fasting days
                2. treadmill on my days off, 60 mins, give or take
                3. Sun Salutation for flexibility, daily
                4. Tabata on my work days

In the eating plan, I want to keep no more than one of the days each week for indulgences. So that if I decide to do a carb fest on a Tuesday, lets say, that is it for the week. This doesn't include the occasional 100 calorie dark chocolate TJ bar on my non-fasting days, but is intended more for eating out, parties, company, etc.

Supplements...I will now only take those which my blood work shows to be low or borderline, and only those that are verified by USP or similar organizations to be what the company claims it is and in the amount advertised. Currently that means 4,000IU of D3, 300mg of Calcium, and a VSL#3 tablet. I am stocking up on my Asacol (not currently taking it) in the off chance that my IBD flares up, and hoping that the VSL#3 holds that off (it is the only pro-biotic researched and proven to do that).

Today, I am going to color my roots, and clean the house. And pray that Boo and his BFF have a safe trip back to school.
                Chris
                Unknown

Comment

• nice about the improvement in the scale. Sounds like a good day to stay home where you are.
                  Karin

Comment

• Our home is full of windows, so even with the heat it is not super warm in the house (we do keep the heat at 65, which is fine normally, I just wear layers and keep moving). I am going to have to sit in the bathroom with a space heater if I want the color on my roots to take.
                    Chris
                    Unknown

Comment

• So yesterday's fast day was not my best ever, but it was much better than my last few attempts. 668 calories instead of 550. today is a non-fast day, and a staff "retreat" at work all day. We will be sitting most of the day and lunch will be served.

I spent way too much time yesterday on the computer, I was looking for a lap blanket pattern I could make for my dad, I had a look in mind, and could not find it, and I am not quite good enough to make up a pattern of my own. I want it to not look feminine, but still be one I can whip up reasonably quickly. I think I finally decided on one, but it took me almost as much time as knitting it will!

I did get my roots done, but not the Christmas decorations down, have to do that today, the Maji arrived (my wise men travel around the house looking for the manger all season) and now it is time for everyone to go home. Then a thorough cleaning is in order.

I chatted with a fellow designer on the youth committee, we made decisions without having to be in the space (basically we went back to our design, which we submitted, but people are now second guessing even though they originally liked it they now all have ideas to make it better not realizing we have already cycled through those ideas).
                      Chris
                      Unknown

Comment

• weird, all the appliances cycled off at the same time in the house and it is a lovely/eerie quiet
                        Chris
                        Unknown

Comment

• Sometimes you have to get back on the wagon however you can. I'm doing a couple of "nutrition days" (I cannot calorie cycle if my nutritional tank is empty), then I'm getting back on board.
                          -- Ruth

Comment

• Hey, progress after the holidays is what I see. Your calories were very close actually!!

How did the hair turn out? Ugh! Christmas decoration. Thats a to-do tonight for me as well.
                            Karin

Comment

• You did the most important thing "To Look Good is to Feel Good"

Christmas decorations come down this weekend at our house. Glad I went for minimalism.
                              Primal since 9/24/2010
                              "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
                              MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Comment

• Originally posted by Pebbles67 View Post
                                You did the most important thing "To Look Good is to Feel Good"

Christmas decorations come down this weekend at our house. Glad I went for minimalism.
                                me too!
                                Karin

Comment

Working...
                                X