• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I love antique jewelry.

Sounds like you scored perfectly for Christmas

When do you head to the beach?
    -- Ruth

Comment

• A jeweler made my wedding ring. A customer of mine gave me a few emeralds to pay for her hair (whole head highlight and cut and style), she was cash poor and her mother had sent her the stones from South America. There were 3 that were in an Emerald cut but they were different sizes, very dark, very clear, and beautiful. So when we were getting our wedding rings (and my engagement), I traded in those 3 emerald cut ones for 8 small round cut ones the jeweler had taken out of a ring with a setting that was beyond repair and he put them into a band (and made Honey's as well) to cover the extra value of the ones that I had. So my wedding ring technically didn't cost us anything (which made up for the price of the engagement ring I picked out) Funny thing is Honey has eczema and he can't wear the ring, even though the jeweler did a few different things to the inside of the ring to try to make it wearable. He ended up wearing it for the wedding and the wedding night, but woke up with a very swollen finger and hand, so hasn't worn it since.

Generally though the accountant in him despises the false scarcity created by the diamond and gold industries. So we don't do much jewelry.

Yes, Ruth we had a lovely Christmas. We all get along well 99% of the time and enjoy each others company 80% of the time so it was fun.
      Chris
      "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
      Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• How is dad?? How is Florida?

Quite depressing everyone but Ruth and I heading to Florida..

Sent from my KFOT using Tapatalk 2
        Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

Comment

• I know. I want to be heading to the warm weather...........
          -- Ruth

Comment

• Originally posted by RMS123 View Post
            I know. I want to be heading to the warm weather...........
            Word.

Sent from my KFOT using Tapatalk 2
            Karin

Comment

• Well, first my dad is making an amazing recovery. Unfortunately he is mentally ready to go home, physically not so much. He needs to get to a point where my mom can help him up out of a chair if necessary and his legs are not strong enough yet. When you are old and you don't walk for a week you lose serious muscle strength. He goes to the gym religiously under normal circumstances, but had not gone since he started this decline just after Thanksgiving. The therapist has been having him do squats from a fairly low wheelchair to standing and back to get the muscles in his core and legs built up. Good news is he is eating like crazy, mom is supplementing his meals from the rehab center with stuff from home because they were high in carbs and low in fresh fruits and veggies and protein, so the nutrition is there for rebuilding.

Next, for those of you jealous of the "warm" weather....it was not pleasant while we were there. It was overcast, muggy, and misty rain most of the time we were there. Finally the last evening we were there it cleared up and got just cool enough so we sat outside by the fire pit. Very bad hair days for everyone!

So, since dad missed Christmas at home, we took it to him. We reserved their community room and decorated it with things from home. All 4 siblings, and all of their significant others, and all of the grandchildren were in the room together, for almost a half hour. My sister sent her children along so they would be on time for photos, but her and her husband did not show up until their daughter had to leave to go to work, so there is not photographic proof that we were all there together, but there are over a 100 photos of the grandkids together, and at least 50 of the siblings and their spouses together. My parents were thrilled. We brought lunch, and my SIL brought a very large plate of her family's Christmas cookies. So, oh yes, I ate too much!

Afterward, we sent dad back to let him take a nap, and 3 siblings and kids and spouses (not the late coming sister's family-there is always one in every family right?) went to a secluded park that only locals know about, that has a small bay and a nice dock and we watched dolphins catching their meal. So lovely, it had stopped raining and was just overcast so the temps were perfect, and watching wild dolphins do what they do was mesmerizing. We had great conversation, and then it was time to go.

All in all it was a lovely day.

Unfortunately, we had planned to spend the next day and night roaming around St. Augustine, but the weather took a turn for the worse, St. Augustine got some serious thunderstorms which made it silly to try to hang out there, so we just came on home. The "Nights of Lights" that is Christmas in St. Augustine will have to wait for next year.
              Chris
              "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
              Unknown

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• p.s. 257.4 up exactly 10 pounds in the month of December, hit my low weight on the 5th.

Today is a down day.
                Chris
                Unknown

Comment

• It sounds like your holiday was wonderful. How fantastic your dad's health is on the rise! With the OT working with him, he will be stronger in no time. Is there an ETA when he can come home?

I LOVE the fact you took Christmas to him! I am sure the memory will be treasured. Sounds like a nice large family reunion and you had sugar cookies? I LOVE sugar cookies!

Did you get any pics of the dolphins? See, that is something I want to see. I have only seen live dolphins at seaworld or something similar in Mexico and not in the wild.

Too bad about the weather.. although to be honest, it was still nicer there. LOL How far away were you from Paula?
                  Karin

Comment

• ETA for dad to go home is 5 to 10 days, it is more about ability than time, and my sis who lives in the apt attached to their house will be out of town for a few days and she needs to be home before he can come home so she can help mom.

Sugar cookies, we had every kind of cookie, my SIL's family spend a weekend baking about 10 different kinds. It was a lovely reunion. Mom and Dad were very happy.

We didn't get photos of the dolphins. I am sad to say we are a bit jaded, as we do this every time we are together, and though we all oohed and ahhhed and were very excited to see the dolphins, we see them wild often enough that we don't do pics of them anymore. This bay has one called twin fin, because her dorsal is split in half after a run in with a boat propellor, and her baby and at least one or two friends or family that hang in the bay with them.

Sarasota is on the opposite coast and a bit south of where we were, I am going to guess and say at least a 5 hour drive on what I would consider the very worst highway (I-4) I have ever been on even without holiday traffic!
                    Chris
                    Unknown

Comment

• ok.. well where was Canio? You mean that skinny state has towns far apart? LOL
                      Karin

Comment

• Chris, loved the photos on FB!!!
                        -- Ruth

Comment

• I dont know where he goes. Yep if you go coast to coast catacorner it will take a while. Plus my memory is that it takes a bit of time to get to the beaches in Sarasota.

Thanks Ruth! My sister's boyfriend took 190 photos! The ones with the siblings and spouses were taken by my daughter, she started getting silly acting like a pro photographer going low and sideways and my son was yelling ok give me fierce. My mom and dad were so happy.
                          Chris
                          Unknown

Comment

• How fun. I'm so glad that everyone could get together for your dad.

I'm so impressed that you just dived right in with another DD.
                            -- Ruth

Comment

• Semi successful DD, about 1,000 calories but no sweets or junk, so it is a start. We have company for dinner tomorrow so I will just do my coffees and water till dinner, figuring if I limit my eating window it will help limit calories.
                              Chris
                              Unknown

Comment

• Jon was on the panhandle. We were all set to have lunch. He and K were going to meet us in Gainesville. Unfortunately, I had to back out. I am very sad about that.
                                Primal since 9/24/2010
                                "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
                                MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Comment

Working...
                                X