No announcement yet.

Primal Journal-deMuralist

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• not sure it would work, but don't see why it wouldn't. Kombucha Kamp lady suggestion is to pour off 25% and bottle that much, and replace the liquid with the sweet tea. But like I said, I don't see why doing it 8oz at a time wouldn't work. I am sure some days would be sweeter and some more tart, but as long as it still had the health properties, I could adjust the flavor by adding ice to water down the sweetness or stevia to make the tart drinkable, right?
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• absolutely!! I love this idea.. may have to hitch my kombucha wagon back up LOL
      Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

Comment

• I am not going to buy her very high priced vessels, but will buy her starter kit. I want a glass vessel (so I can see what is going on in there -it will be in the pantry which is normally dark, and with stainless steel spigot to hopefully prevent leaking.
        Chris
        "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
        Unknown

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• Ok.. here is the thing.. metal and Kombucha DO NOT mix. I am not sure why but I get the idea that its a chemical thing and kills it. I had a jar with a plastic spigot which leaked.. hence how jars without spigot
          Karin

Comment

• I may be jumping on too. How about big glass pickle jars?
            Primal since 9/24/2010
            "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
            MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Comment

• Kombucha Kamp says stainless steel is good. Not other metals, or plastic.

Kombucha Tea | Kombucha Recipe | Kombucha Benefits scroll down and it says glass, stainless, or oak.

on the other hand, it costs me less than $1.75 for 8oz from Whole Foods (Organic and Raw), tastes good, and I don't have to worry about any of this. At about $50+ for the jar with spigot, and another $25+ for the Scoby, it would take me almost 2 months to break even, and that isn't including the time to mess with it. Maybe I should get a case (make it even cheaper) and see if it makes a difference to see if it is worth the trouble!
              Chris
              Unknown

Comment

• One of my jars is a pickle jar. One is an import form Italy.
                Karin

Comment

• This is how my costs have worked out:

The kombucha I have bought is $2.50-3.00 per 2-cup bottle. I spent ~$13.00 on six half gallon jars(after using an old artichoke jar for my first two batches).

For the tea and sugar, my ingredients cost for each 2-cup bottle I make is about 45 cents. Plus a little more for the fruit and ginger I put in each bottle for flavor and carbonization(sp?). Each batch gives me 2 1/2 bottles(saving some for the next batch.

So at a $2.00 minimum savings per 2-cup bottle, it will take 3 batches before I have paid for my bottles. After that, it is all gravy. So to speak.

Of course, all those bottles I am using to bottle the booch, where purchased at $2.50-3.00. If I subtract the kombucha cost, multiply by number of bottles(16, I think) it will take my 4 additional batches before I am really free and clear. So, by New Year's.

Comment

• my heart says go go, my head says "again? really? another great thing?" I may start with store bought then if I get hooked I will switch (or if I find the perfect vessel with spigot and need an excuse to buy it)
                    Chris
                    Unknown

Comment

• One 16 oz bottle is $3.69 at my local store.
                      Primal since 9/24/2010
                      "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
                      MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Comment

• It was $3.29 here, plus 9.75% tax. I have started with 4 oz to make sure my intestines did not rebel. I will probably jump up to 8oz tomorrow, and see what happens.

I have found a vessel online, but I would prefer to buy local, I will stop at a possible place on the way home tomorrow.
                        Chris
                        Unknown

Comment

• just posting so I don't forget the numbers (I gotta go get ready and go to work) -I will edit in details later

+2.2 = 262.6
                          5246 4
                          7:12 89%

ttfn

So food yesterday, well lets just say I deserve the two plus pounds. Food wise I did very well, actually had 3 meals, of reasonable proportions, and well within my TDEE with about 400 calories to spare. THEN....I made the icing for the competition cake. It is by far the best I have ever made and maybe the best I have ever had! It required a lot of tasting, admittedly not as much as I did though. It is a Vanilla Whipped Buttercream, which is flavored with Jack Daniels Honey Liqueur, Orange flavoring, and crushed lavender flowers from my garden. All whipped up to be a nice fluffy cloud of deliciousness. And not even a little Primal.

Regarding this "tasting" and the extra pounds...I know that I did not eat 7,000 calories worth of icing, so I also know that I didn't gain 2 pounds of fat, so I am not worried. I am beginning to see that calories from sugar effect the scale differently than extra calories from fat or protein. So we can see that it isn't totally about calories in vs. calories out.

NEAT not many steps or flights of stairs, but 3 hours of gardening again and I am so sore today. I also went to bed late, no good reason, so didn't wake up this morning and do my treadmill. Rats. I have got to get in bed by 9:30 if I want to get up and do the treadmill.

Sleep well I did have a 3.5 hour stretch, but then the rest was pretty broken up. The new bed is now on my list...after the living room furniture, although it may be before if this broken up sleep keeps up. I may try a few nights upstairs to see if I can really blame it on DH or if it is something else.

Today is a fast day, a very welcome one!

also, I think that Pier 1 may have a vessel that fits my description and on sale no less. I am going to stop on the way home from work today and see.
                          Last edited by demuralist; 09-17-2013, 09:21 AM.
                          Chris
                          Unknown

Comment

• I will tell you, when I was making it regularly, its was about all I was drinking.. oh the tummy was a happy happy place.
                            Karin

Comment

• Not sure how my tummy would react to that much acid and carbonation, if I switched out over 125oz of fluids, or even a fraction of it. Think I will stick to between 8 and 16 oz.

p.s. how different are the health benefits of Kombucha vs. Bragg's ACV I wonder?
                              Chris
                              Unknown

Comment

• its different. I can't remember the details but I did google it.

Kombucha Fuel: Kombucha SCOBYs vs. Mothers of Vinegar (MOVs)
                                Karin

Comment

Working...
                                X