No announcement yet.

Primal Journal-deMuralist

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well, not a great new start to my plan...I didn't do the treadmill today, (my "excuse" was that none of my work out pants were clean-how dumb-once my brain woke up I was like "so what, you work out alone in your basement, wear them dirty" but by then I didn't have enough time to do it and be ready for work on time). Also, we have a group using the upstairs at work today, so I have to use the downstairs restroom.

I have to meet BFF's hubby to help them with reno ideas right after work. But I am hoping that when I get home, I won't talk myself out of the treadmill. I also still want to take the after dinner walk with DH.

Fast day today, so far so good. And my plan for dinner looks good as well. If I am really hungry, I can always add some konjac noodles to my spaghetti squash for bulk. I even allowed for a T of butter on them. Also doing baked fish. Then after dinner I should have enough calories left for a decaf iced coffee.

Sleep has been lousy the last couple of nights. I have been in bed long enough, but lots of little wake ups.

p.s. the scale this morning was NOT kind. I am up to 264.4, I had gotten down to 255.2 just 3 weeks ago. Much of it is likely water, as I can feel it in my ankles and my clothes are still fitting well.
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• well, the scale finally did something you would expect, it showed a loss after a very low calorie day, 2 pounds down in fact. I still did not drink enough, which I will diligently work on today, but there is obviously some water loss.

Food yesterday was very good. I came in under my 550, though I am trying to bring it in under 500 so that when my weight drops enough to have to do that it will already be in place. It was 527.

NEAT well, I hang my head, I just have trouble with this..6045 and 6 flights of stairs. Actually 6 flights is pretty good when you consider I could not use the upstairs at work yesterday (or the rest of this week actually). It rained last night so no evening walk, and I met with a friend to help him with a reno he is doing on a rental property, so no treadmill when I got home either.

I have done something to my back, it is likely from when I cleaned the front door and did a bit of reaching from a step stool that I probably should not have. So I have a little catch that pinches me when I take a long stride or twist, obviously it is cutting down on my movement.

Sleep, still crappy...7:10 81% efficiency, on a positive note though I had 2 stretches of 1:30 and one that lasted 2:20, now if I could just figure out how to string those together.
      Chris
      "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
      Unknown

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• ouch.. pinches in the back are so inconvenient. Maybe a massage will help and a muscle relaxer. Yeah for 2 pounds down no matter the reason. LOL bummer about the walking. As soon as the brace comes off I want to get back to at least walking on the treadmill.
        Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

Comment

• The pinch is getting better, I have errands to run after work today, and it looks like rain again. We have had the wettest summer, all of my "drought tolerant" plants are wilting and turning brown, they don't like wet feet.
          Chris
          Unknown

Comment

• My back seems to have pretty much resolved its issue. Only a very slight tweek when I twist.

woke up this morning before the alarm, it felt good. I got right on the treadmill, then came up and cleaned the kitchen. ran short on time so I didn't check my sleep or steps or stairs for yesterday. But I know that the food did ok. It was a non-fast day, but I only ended up eating dinner, no afternoon snack as I got home late from the errands. So my calories were a bit low, even though I was stuffed from dinner (which was not very primal but was very good). I even had a wine spritzer with dinner and a 100 calorie dark chocolate bar after dinner, and the days calories still came in under 1,000.

Today is a fast day, had my usual iced coffee for breakfast. Dinner will be baked fish and spaghetti squash since it was so very good on Tuesday! I sprinkled a bit of Parm on it and broiled it to make a crust, added my measured T of kerrygold to the squash (I added konjac noodles but that was too much so I will skip that tonight).

So the scale showed me down another 1.2 pounds to 261.2, that is still 6.2 above my 255 low three weeks ago, but 3+ down from my high last week. Going in the right direction, so I am happy. Really want to get into the low 230's by my June doc appt.
            Chris
            Unknown

Comment

• dang, a huge storm just opened up and I am stuck at work, and none of my girls are posting.....aaaak
              Chris
              Unknown

Comment

• hmm. got a compliment from the rental car guy about how nice I looked in heels and all :-) nothing and exciting in my world. in a plane home...
                -- Ruth

Comment

• wow, that is a way to perk up the day!
                  Chris
                  Unknown

Comment

• you get hit on and its nothing and exciting? GIRL!!
                    Karin

Comment

• He was old. Either the young Hispanics or old men (and my DH, of course) find me attractive.
                      -- Ruth

Comment

• psh.. take it and run girlie..
                        Karin

Comment

• me too, and most especially old Hispanic men. I had an old, very short, Hispanic man hitting on me in Home Depot when I was standing in line with my daughter. He was very straight forward and persistent. My daughter could not stop laughing.

Saw this article this morning, feel like it is worth sharing as I had just heard about this research yesterday on the radio...
                          A recent study reported in the medical journal, SCIENCE,
                          reported the following:

"Researchers gathered human twins in which one
                          was obese and the other lean. They transferred gut
                          bacteria from these twins into the guts of mice and
                          watched what happened.

The mice with bacteria from the overweight twin grew
                          fat; those that got bacteria from lean twin stayed lean."

Here's what this means...

*Good digestive bacteria is associated with weight loss/ healthy weight
                          *Bad digestive bacteria is associated with weight gain and obesity

For some people, their digestion is impaired due to
                          years of poor food choices and lifestyle habits; and for
                          others, their poor digestive health might actually predate
                          (and hence be the root cause) of obesity.

It's a chicken vs. egg question, but regardless of how your
                          digestion became impaired, there is no question that healing
                          your digestion is paramount to losing weight long term.

Here are some very simple ways to start right healing right
                          now...

(1) REDUCE INFLAMMATION – Make sure to eat essential fats
                          every day in the form of flax, chia, cold water fish, or fish oil
                          (all are extremely anti-inflammatory). Also try to go gluten-free
                          when you can.

(2) EAT PREBIOTICS – most people have heard of probiotics,
                          but prebiotics are just as important. They are what the
                          beneficial bacteria actually live and thrive on. The best
                          prebiotics are water- and fiber-dense vegetables, ideally
                          raw or lightly cooked.

(3) TAKE PROBIOTICS – fermented foods such as sauerkraut,
                          kim chi, and kefir are all great sources of natural bacteria.
                          And for most people, I also recommend taking a strong and
                          diverse probiotic supplement, particularly during the healing
                          phase.

(4) USE HEALTHIER SUGARS - While we all know that things
                          like soft drinks, cookies, crackers, and bread products cause
                          you to gain weight for hormonal reasons, what you may not
                          know is that the bad bugs feed off of processed sugar, making
                          your intestines a breeding ground for unfriendly bacteria.

Whenever possible find alternatives to these types of packaged
                          foods and sweeten your foods with healthier sugars, like
                          coconut palm sugar, stevia and xylitol.

I won't add any pills (i.e.. the suggestion of probiotics), but I could take more care with the food, add some Kombucha, and start taking my fish oil again.
                          Last edited by demuralist; 09-13-2013, 05:38 AM.
                          Chris
                          Unknown

Comment

• So on to the report of my progress...

Food yesterday was very good, I am still coming in over 500 calories on my fast day, but still under my 550 goal. Yesterday was 542. I guess I will let myself get good at under 550, then slowly lower it as I lose the weight in the method prescribed by the 5:2 plan.

NEAT yesterday was helped by the fact that I got on the treadmill, even though I couldn't go upstairs since we had a conference going on, and still did not get to walk after work because of the rain. So steps were 8558 and 6 floors.

Sleep is interesting lately...my efficiency is still high 80's to low 90's, I am getting less than 7 hours of actual sleep. However I have been waking up without the alarm feeling refreshed and the long stretches between wake ups are becoming more frequent. In other words I have been getting 3 to 4 stretches a night that are at least 90 minutes long. Don't know what I can do to promote that but I am happy about it.

I have lately seen a few things that talk about sleep time and weight and it drives me insane because there is an assumption that the reason we don't get sleep is because we don't get into bed soon enough to allow enough sleep. I keep thinking that people who obviously have no trouble sleeping are the ones writing these articles. I want to smack them on the head and tell them that we all know all the shit they are dishing out for getting into bed and falling asleep, if they want to make a contribution they need to find out why we can't stay asleep all night!

p.s. the scale is still being kind, down another .8 to 259.4...so back in the 50's Yeah! Today is a non-fast day, will probably do a 3rd fast for this week on Sunday.
                            Last edited by demuralist; 09-13-2013, 08:18 AM.
                            Chris
                            Unknown

Comment

• Interesting article. I read something else that was also interesting, will post it if I can find the link again.

Amen on the sleep. I leave myself at least 9 hours for sleep. I have two problems: (i) I can't stay asleep (wake up around 3 am and can't go back to sleep, regardless of when I go to bed); and (ii) I sleep very lightly (rarely get into that restorative deep sleep). I haven't seen anything that addresses these issues.
                              -- Ruth

Comment

• One of the things I have planned is to switch out our king mattress for 2 twins when we next need a new mattress. I will keep the box springs, so it will be a lot cheaper. Then I will put a strip of memory foam between the 2, and layer the egg crate foam, a memory foam, and a feather bed topper on top of that. This is what I did to our spare bed, because I had the 2 twin mattresses already and wanted a king in there. The only catch is that I will need to use XL twins because the regular twins are 4" shorter than the king box springs. We have a sleigh bed but this arrangement will still fit within it. What this does is make the bed crazy comfy and nearly totally eliminates the wave from your partner's movements.

Our room is already dark, cool, and quiet but with a box fan for white noise. When we have company in that spare room, they ALWAYS sleep in and rave about how comfy that bed is. We use it whenever we have a good excuse to.

I am pretty sure that this arrangement will cut back considerably on the wake ups as I am almost positive they are from DH going to the bathroom.

the only suggestion I have for the not being able to go back to sleep (given you are not Thomas Edison and able to nap whenever you get the urge) is to try a sleep meditation. I have a couple that I listen to that are about 30 minutes long, and use them to fall asleep every night. So that now, my body knows that they signal it is time to sleep, and I use them when I cannot fall back asleep in the middle of the night, which thankfully is becoming very rare.
                                Chris
                                Unknown

Comment

Working...
                                X