No announcement yet.

Primal Journal-deMuralist

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The more I chat with people who have contact with him I doubt he is as much an introvert as it appears when he is at home. But even if he is, he grew up living with 3 extroverts of varying degrees.
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• Good job getting through the college drop off. A tricky time emotionally, that's for sure!

Comment

• Well, oddly, food as comfort on this one didn't even enter my mind. Maybe because it was an anticipated emotion, maybe because I have been allowing myself to feel it, maybe because I was so busy after the drop off I didn't think of the food, maybe because by the time I would have done food he was sending me happy texts which reduced my stress, and maybe because the 5:2 (or whatever version I am on now-4:3) has helped me to see food a little differently (I hope it is this last one).

So anyway, yesterday went well. I am knitting like a crazy woman so my steps for this week will be low. The baby shower is Sunday, and I have finished 8 of 12 repetitions of rows, so 4 more plus the border need to get done before Sunday.

Food yesterday was good, though likely over the 550 goal. I had my morning iced coffee, then at 4:30 had watermelon, then at 7 had leftovers from the picnic concert. These were portable salads I had made so whole fresh foods with homemade dressings...there is a wild rice one, a "company chicken salad", and a cucumber/tomato/avocado one. Too much of a PITA to input them to MFP to track, so I will just take it and move on.

NEAT for yesterday...7374 steps not bad for sitting and knitting all day (I mowed the lawn and did the treadmill for 30 minutes) and got 9 flights of stairs in-had I know that last night I would have gone upstairs one more time! I will pay more attention today.

Sleep yesterday was not great. I did not have to wake up early, which was good since I got to bed late, but still only managed to sleep 6:02, efficiency was 83% (I am using the sleep night that effects the day, so this is not last night as that sleep effects today, this is the sleep event in which I woke up yesterday morning-confusing I know, but more useful to figure out how sleep effects NEAT and food)
        Chris
        "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
        Unknown

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• Food yesterday was good. It was a non-fast day and I ate reasonably, just when I was hungry and just what I was hungry for. Today is a fast day. I will hold off until dinner (except for the cream and coconut milk in my coffee and tea). Tonight I am going to make a spaghetti squash then I will take the innards and add tomatoes and spices and poach a couple of eggs in there for protein. If I am really hungry, I will add some zero calorie noodles.

NEAT for yesterday, well I did ok on the flights of stairs but I am trying to finish knitting that blanket and there is no way I can knit and walk at the same time. This goal will have to wait till I get done with that blanket, or Sunday (when the shower is) whichever comes first!

Sleep was finally good! When the hubs woke up early yesterday to go to work I just rolled over and went back to bed, so I ended up with over 8 hours of actual sleep, felt great, too bad I had to sit all day.
          Chris
          Unknown

Comment

• Food yesterday was yummy and very close to my target. I was at 610, so 60 calories over. For dinner I had a half of a spaghetti squash, after I baked it, I shredded it in the shell, then added 2 triangles of laughing cow, 1/4C of red sauce, 1/2C of cottage cheese and mixed that all up. Then on top of that I sprinkled shredded cheese and popped it all back into the oven till the cheese got bubbly and started to brown. YUMY!

NEAT for yesterday...well I watched Michael Moseley's documentary on it, still knitting though so very few steps-6630-and only 3 flights of steps, but that last is just lazy so I will pop right back on it today.

Sleep yesterday was very good 7:17 and 91%

Yesterday when I got home from work instead of going into the kitchen, I decided to do a meditation. I have downloaded 2 free apps to my phone. One is called Headspace, and it is about teaching you how to meditate, in 10 minutes a day. The other is Lose Weight With Hypnosis. That one is a bit annoying as there is about 5 minutes of instruction at the beginning that you can't bypass unless you pay for the upgrade. So I will likely go to my Paul McKenna one, if I can figure out how to reload it onto the iTunes on my new computer.

ANYWAY, the point is that I did that and did not eat, it worked. It was the time I would normally have spent prowling the kitchen to figure out what I could eat on my down day and still have enough calories left for dinner.

Word from the kids...DD got a horrible case of poison ivy, legs and arms, and she had to get an oral prescription for it. DS joined a campus club (skeet shooting), so he is not hanging out in his room! Their classes start today.
            Chris
            Unknown

Comment

• So I was just reading stats that the 5:2 forum posted on a questionnaire they ran. She broke the results down into 5 categories going from slowest losers to fastest losers. The part that is interesting to me, ie. a change I can make, is that the fastest losers did a complete fast that lasted at least 20 hours, and only ate 1 meal (dinner). I do the one meal on fast days, but I have calories from my morning cream etc in my coffee and green tea.

So starting tomorrow, I will drink my coffee on a fast day morning with ice and stevia no cream, and I will skip the green tea and switch it out for water. Then I will only have dinner after 20 hours have passed since my last calories, I can have a creamed decaf coffee for "dessert". First shot at this will be tomorrow, hope I remember about the coffee in my groggy morning state.
              Chris
              Unknown

Comment

• When I do IF, that is exactly the way I do it.
                Primal since 9/24/2010
                "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
                MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Comment

• That's interesting, hadn't seen that on the 5:2 forum but will have a look.

Good luck with making the change. I'm the same, just milk or cream in my coffee on fast day mornings and then nothing until dinner. May try again some time in the future to learn to have my coffee black. They do say you appreciate the flavour of the coffee more that way!

The spaghetti squash sounds yummy - I don't think they're that popular over here but will have a look in farmers' markets as squash season is starting now. Would be fun to try it.
                  Well and happy - Journalling a primal life in London

Comment

• Pineneedles, it is called "Questionnaire results: first look, interesting" and I came across it under the active topics. She listed other things that were significant statistically, but none that I could change...ie. dieted before started 5:2, length of time on 5:2, etc.

P, I always hold off eating till at least 4:30 on a fast day, usually later, but not tried doing it with black coffee, always get almost 100 calories spread out from 6:30am till about noon. I know I can't do hot black coffee, but think I can manage it iced, and maybe I will get used to it.
                    Chris
                    Unknown

Comment

• So on a positive note, I remembered that I was doing black coffee this morning and made my morning coffee accordingly. I can get used to it, I don't love it, it doesn't have the creamy goodness I am used to, but again I can live with it. On a less than positive note, my stomach is growling this morning. I never get hungry in the morning, which I now suspect might have to do with the cream etc. I put in my coffee. Again, I will get used to it, but not as pleasant as my normal fasting morning.

However, I hit a low "after non-fasting day" weight, 258.6. This is only .6 over my "after fasting day" low. And yesterday was a true non-fasting day, I went right up to my TDEE. So this will help sustain me through the grumbling tummy this morning. I will do a meditation when I get home from work and dinner will be at 6:30 since I nibbled when I was cleaning the kitchen last night so that will be my 20 hour fast.

Food yesterday was yummy, "healthy", and right up to my TDEE at 2038. Today is a 20 hour fast and under 550 calories.

NEAT ok so here I have put off the goal until the blanket is finished. I was the only one at work yesterday so I had to stay on the main floor, so only 3 flights of stairs. I start this with a vengeance on Monday. I re-watched Michael Moseley's video on exercise and am motivated (though I will probably have to watch it again on Sunday night to get another boost). So my plan is to not only do the treadmill every morning to help get my 10,000 steps (and get up and move at least once an hour), use the upstairs bathrooms (at home and at work) to get 10 flights of stairs, but on 3 of my non-fasting days I am going to use my mini-stair stepper to do three 20 second bursts of the highest intensity stepping I can manage before I get on my treadmill! (hope I can keep this motivation up and this isn't just the low scale number talking)

Sleep yesterday was not great 6:17 and 85% efficiency. I guess the good news about this is that I can honestly say that whether I eat or not, i.e.. go to bed hungry or full, it doesn't seem to effect my sleep one way or another. So while I don't know yet how to positively effect my sleep, I know that eating is not a way to do it. Good to know.
                      Chris
                      Unknown

Comment

• It is interesting about the spread between your two weights being so small. What is your usual? I am usually about 2-3 pounds lighter after fasting days.

Comment

• Usually about a pound and a half to 2 pounds, before I took my little (what ended up being) 4 week break it was starting to get to where you could almost not tell what the day before was by looking at my number on the scale. I was having about a 2 pound fluctuation but seemed unrelated to fast or feast, but both were trending downward. I keep 2 records, one is low weights and one is of the high weights, not necessarily fast days or feast days though.
                          Chris
                          Unknown

Comment

• ok, I made it, even with a growling tummy most of the day. It was kind of odd that it was grumbling, but not uncomfortable at all.

Anyway, made it to 6:30, and came in just under 550. Full report in the morning.
                            Chris
                            Unknown

Comment

• So it is doable, and I think since the health benefits are likely stronger with a complete fast, I plan to do a 20 hour fast for my 2 work day fasts. My weekend fast is enough work without adding a complication to it, so I will likely still go with cream in my coffee for that one.

Food yesterday went very well. I did the black coffee, iced, in the morning and drank water at work. I came home and listened to a meditation and then started knitting. For my non-fasting work days I plan to have a smoothie when I get home from work, though I like doing the meditation as I walk in the door so the smoothie will come after that.

NEAT yes well this starts in earnest on Sunday. Yesterday's steps were 4508, with 8 flights of steps.

Sleep 7:09 91% efficiency. So I am starting to wonder if my quality of sleep is better when I go to bed earlier. I need to go back into my fitbit and see if there is some way I can easily figure this out. I am definitely sleepier between 9 and 9:30 than I am at any other time after that.

The blanket is coming along, I have 1 more "set" (which is 18 rows) and the border (which is also 18 rows). I have until Sunday around noon. So I will finish. The question is will I finish and have time to do my hair color so that I don't look like an old hag in the photos?

Kids are doing well I heard from both of them yesterday. DD ran across a book by one of her favorite authors while at the library, and DS received his personalized Tervis (insulated mug-drinks are like 20 cents if they bring in their own tumbler or cup). Their classes are a mixed bag, as it should be, each have a couple that will push them a bit, a relatively easy one, and a fun one, so they did well at registration.

p.s. my reward for a 20 hour fast, a new low on the scale...257, one pound lower than my last low and 1.6 lower than yesterday. So that is a nice incentive to keep it up.

p.p.s. I just checked and this means that I am losing an average of .83 pounds a week since I started 5:2, and that includes those weeks that I slid a bit and gained and then had to re-lose 6 pounds.
                              Last edited by demuralist; 08-23-2013, 05:59 AM.
                              Chris
                              Unknown

Comment

• Nice numbers.
                                Primal since 9/24/2010
                                "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
                                MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Comment

Working...
                                X