Primal Journal-deMuralist

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cross post.

I really think that I don't set limits for my non-fasting days keep me from using food to fight my feelings of deprivation, because I don't have feelings of deprivation. And the other reasons that I binge...work avoidance, sleep deprivation, boredom...don't seem so hard to handle when I don't feel like I am depriving myself of food.

With the work avoidance, I have just started doing those things that usually set me off, first thing in the morning.

With sleep deprivation I find if I am tired I just plan to do my more sedentary stuff (knitting, organizing drawers,etc)

With the boredom, which can happen even when I am busy, I just shift to a new activity.

Odd how my brain has now figured out how to work through these things now that I don't feel deprived. The solutions were there all the time, they are not earth shattering.
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• Cross post again!

I think I am going to plan to have a md week. Just do the best I can, eat when I need to and not when it is convenient.
      Chris
      "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
      Unknown

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• That's the beauty of this plan, yes? So much flexibility. It can work with life. Yeah, it might be a maintenance week, but at least it won't be a gain 10 pounds week.
        -- Ruth

Comment

• YES! That is exactly why I love it so much. Maintenance week is a good name for it. Emotionally stressful, for sure, so maintaining would be a great outcome!
          Chris
          Unknown

Comment

• Originally posted by RMS123 View Post
            That's the beauty of this plan, yes? So much flexibility. It can work with life. Yeah, it might be a maintenance week, but at least it won't be a gain 10 pounds week.
            THIS!

Originally posted by demuralist View Post
            Cross post.

I really think that I don't set limits for my non-fasting days keep me from using food to fight my feelings of deprivation, because I don't have feelings of deprivation. And the other reasons that I binge...work avoidance, sleep deprivation, boredom...don't seem so hard to handle when I don't feel like I am depriving myself of food.

With the work avoidance, I have just started doing those things that usually set me off, first thing in the morning.

With sleep deprivation I find if I am tired I just plan to do my more sedentary stuff (knitting, organizing drawers,etc)

With the boredom, which can happen even when I am busy, I just shift to a new activity.

Odd how my brain has now figured out how to work through these things now that I don't feel deprived. The solutions were there all the time, they are not earth shattering.
            my triggers as well. They just have to be worked through instead of eaten through LOL
            Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

Comment

• I eat when I'm stressed (it makes me feel in control, though in many senses I'm not in control...kinda self-soothing), when I'm procrastinating, and when I'm tired. DDs make me more aware of these things and I find other "treatments". Food is fuel, food is nourishment, food is enjoyment. However, it shouldn't be used to relieve stress or avoidance. I'm working on it... Not having to be so super-vigilant and strict is really helping things. Knowing that tomorrow I can have some small decadent something helps me get past things. A lot of times, while I eat well on my UDs, I don't even go for anything sweet -- just more fat
              -- Ruth

Comment

• The changes that are going on mentally, are amazing to me. Partly because I didn't expect them. I thought I would be food obsessed, and I am actually less so, even on dd's. I expected to feel sick, headachy, lethargic, cranky. I have not. I have been surprised to learn, really feel, that hunger comes in waves and is not a steady incline building until it is so painful I can no longer stand it. It has been very nice to learn that falling off the program does not doom it, that I can easily jump right back in and be on track. And I am happy to see that it has, cross my fingers, apparently solved the binge issue. Even if I don't lose weight without more tweaking, this has been a very valuable set of lessons.
                Chris
                Unknown

Comment

• I agree. Hunger comes in waves. If I can distract myself and get past it, it goes away. Although I eat lunch (no dinner) on most DDs, my sleep is the same (in fact, last night was down right good...for me, at any rate). I will admit, however, I don't enjoy DDs. I'm generally good at them, but don't like them.
                  -- Ruth

Comment

• While I get a very small grin in the morning when I realize it is an ud, I don't like or dislike the dd's, just something I have to do. Like vacuuming the floor, brushing my teeth, doing the laundry, going to work, or any number of things that just have to be done for life to run smoothly. When I think about the shit I have done to lose weight in my life, and trust me after over 40 years of dieting I have done it all, this just feels so much nicer, only having to "diet" less than half the time. Which if I am going to be completely honest with myself is probably about how compliant I have been with just about every diet/program/lifestyle change I have ever attempted, especially after a couple weeks in when the weight loss slows. Then I would see how much I could cheat and still lose, not so much purposely but almost as survival and knowing I couldn't sustain what ever it was anyway.
                    Chris
                    Unknown

Comment

• You do have a much better attitude than I do My best course of action is to view it as a game or a challenge (it's why my DDs are usually around 200 calories or so). And, knowing that tomorrow is around the corner, it's all tolerable. The only time I try to make an exception is if it is something extraordinary or special, and for some reason I could not have it tomorrow. Very empowering, on many levels.
                      -- Ruth

Comment

• Knowing I can actually have something I want, usually makes it less desirable. So most things that I put off I want even less on my ud's. On my dd's mostly, once I put a piece of food in my mouth, then I am eating and the longer I can put that off the less I eat. I do best when I don't put food in my mouth until dinner, and force myself to put my fork down between bites. Which oddly I find easier to accomplish when I am playing Words With Friends with my mom. Even though I am not paying as much attention to my food as I should, it does slow the process down enough to give me time to know I am done eating.

p.s. my attitude is not something I worked on, it is just the way I am. the only way I could get up in the morning truthfully. Because the things I really like to do, I have not been able to do for quite some time. Looking forward to being an empty nester on a 3 day work week come January.
                        Chris
                        Unknown

Comment

• I have always loved your PMA and sensible advice.

I eat REALLY slowly on my DDs. Hoping to start doing the same on my UDs.

I miss Words with Friends. I stopped playing, because it seemed like I just didn't have the energy. I will start again soon.
                          -- Ruth

Comment

• Thank you.

The PMA comes from the fact that I am a volatile personality, who is mostly up, but will blow off things with a quick (and usually private) WTF and then forget about it, literally. For some reason my mind will not hold onto most of the negative stuff. Well except for when I believe I have created a hurt feeling or made a complete idiot of myself, that I hold onto forever. But my husband will mention things that one of the kids did or some health issue I had and I am amazed that I cannot think of what it is he is referring to. On the other hand, I will mention things to him that are positive, some award one of the kids got or a comment a teacher or authority made and he cannot being that to memory.

If I followed my own advice even half the time I doubt I would have 100 pounds to lose.

My down day meals always include raw veggies, they take longer to eat.

Right now I only play WWF with my mom and one friend in NY. It makes me feel more connected to them. I don't care if I win or lose, it is all about the connection.
                            Chris
                            Unknown

Comment

• Originally posted by demuralist View Post
                              Knowing I can actually have something I want, usually makes it less desirable. So most things that I put off I want even less on my ud's.
                              I have been successfully 'putting off' having peanut m&ms for about two weeks. I may have them this next weekend, after taking Middlest to college (or I may not!), but I feel good for not giving in to having them as soon as I first thought of them, which is what I used to do. And then I would have them again, because, shoot, if I slipped, I might as well have more, right? And then have them again, because that will be the ABSOLUTE, LAST time I have them (yeah, right). So, in a way, putting them off, has saved me from three(or more) peanut m&ms eating occasions. I feel super strong!

Comment

• Sabine..I feel the same @ pretzel mms. At school i have a gum ball machine with plain mms. Each penny gives 5-6. I on occasion hsve been known to eat 5 cents worth at times..lol

Sent from my KFOT using Tapatalk 2
                                Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

Comment

Working...
                                X