No announcement yet.

Primal Journal-deMuralist

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When I walked through the house yesterday with the glittery fabric, my son went "mom, nooo, don't". And yes I still sparkle this morning.

DS and I were ragging Dh because he is turning into an old man (he is technically 56, and not chronologically old at all), he has an attitude that is giving him old man characteristics. Any way, he finally said "at least I don't have glitter on my face", and DS and I look at each other and we both had it! I said "so I sparkle, nothing wrong with that" and DS says "mom, I don't want to sparkle, I am a guy". Whatcha gonna do, we will all be sparkly for a while.

So I got on the scale today. Mostly I think as a punishment and partly to snap my brain back into shape. I am up 5 pounds in, what, 3 weeks. I am not worried or upset about this, for a couple of reasons...because it is only 1 pound above my last "up day weight" and because I have been home for 4 days and while none of them were super high cal, none were the low cal either, and because this coming week is finally back to a "normal" sort of schedule.

After some yard work this morning, I will go grocery shopping to ensure I have what I need to do 2 down days easily. I don't have a problem with not eating all day, I just need to have low cal choices when I get home. So the plan....

Today, a "normal" day around 2,000 calories, easy. Tuesday through Friday when I get home from work I will do a berry/coconut milk/spinach smoothie and munch on salty celery, on the higher cal days I will add other things to the smoothie, like yogurt or cocoa powder. Then for the low cal days it will be fish and a ton of salad greens, for the higher cal days it will be beef with salad greens as well as other veggies from the farmer's market.

I need to work on my low cal and, oddly, my high cal days. I am pretty good at the middle range (1,100 to 1,500) but that is not enjoyable long term and the consistency doesn't seem to promote weight loss in me.

Mentally, I am in a pretty good place right now. I am not overly worried about DD, she has been keeping in touch sending photos, and seems to have a good mix of work and play going on. She does her explorations into the "city" with the other girls from her group (safety in numbers), and seems to have decided to stay close to the dig site on her days off, the towns and countryside around her are beautiful and she had a hard time getting around in Barcelona so she is not as drawn to the big city. DS seems to be getting into a routine that includes hanging with friends, working on his summer reading assignment, working at his summer job, prepping for college, camp/mission work/counseling, and relaxing. DH and I are going to take a weekend to meet some friends in Asheville, NC in the fall, stay at a sweet B&B, and just hang out. We have some fun planned for the summer, with friends visiting, day trips to the winery, and a few evening concerts.

My current plan for N.E.A.T. is to only allow myself 1 hour on the computer on my days off, and use the rest of my time accomplishing something. For the days that I work, I will continue to get up at 6:30 and do my 30 minutes on the treadmill (I am getting a little slack here), and use the restroom upstairs-getting up from my desk at least once an hour whether I need to go or not, stop using the phone intercom to talk to co-workers and instead walk to their offices when this is reasonable. And everyday, when I am sitting in front of the tv I need to be knitting or crocheting (I have gotten very lax with this and have 2 projects I need to finish).
    Last edited by demuralist; 07-08-2013, 07:33 AM. Reason: spelling duh
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• well that was a long post!

I forgot to mention that starting in January I go back to 3 days at work, but salaried instead of hourly, so the pay stays the same, and I will do comp time for when I work more than 3 days. I actually do comp time now so that I can take vacation time without losing money, so it won't be much different except that I will get an extra day off. I am happy because I will likely get most Fridays off and that is when I used to go to estate sales.

@Sabine, I could take the machine outside, but the glitter was all over the clothes I was wearing, and I couldn't strip outside-our neighbors are very close, so I would still bring it inside. I think I am done with the glittery stuff for a while. I will have to glitter spray some lanterns and such but will do that in the parking lot at the church!
      Last edited by demuralist; 07-08-2013, 07:55 AM.
      Chris
      "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
      Unknown

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• Today is a down day, so less than 500 calories. This will be made easier because I have errands to run after work, and I went grocery shopping yesterday. That means that I will have less time at home near the pantry and that I have the food necessary to make good choices.

Mentally still feeling very good, and kind of excited now that I can get back on track with my eating plan.

Physically, well, feeling creaky. I have not limited the types of foods I eat in these past couple of weeks, within reason. I have allowed grains and sugar to sneak back in, but nothing boxed or packaged. I never thought that I was effected by these, but am now thinking that I probably am. So wheat and sugar are back out of the diet. I am not a big fan of pasta, potatoes, or rice so they will remain out of the diet. I am a huge fan of seasonal fruit so that stays. The dairy and AS haven't changed and won't. I plan to get all of my carbs, basically, from veggies and fruit and try to keep them under 100g a day.

Oh yes, and I am back to tracking, or at least putting it down in the notes on MFP if not actually tracking it.
        Chris
        Unknown

Comment

• Yesterday went well, I hit 550. I made a fantastic raspberry sauce for my white fish. It was some raspberry liqueur, beef broth, salt, pepper, and stevia. I boiled it down to about 1/3rd of where it started then add a tiny bit of arrowroot to thicken. I baked the fish with just a small bit of KerryGold and salt and pepper. Then I roasted Vidalias with salt and pepper till they just started to caramelize. I ate this on top of a huge green salad. For "dessert" I had some watermelon.

I am holding a bit of fluids today, which may be due to the reduction in carbs? Even with the watermelon, my carbs were a bit less than half of what I have been doing.

Oh, well, will pay more attention to drinking fluids today.

So far today, I have remembered to walk to the upstairs bathroom at least once an hour, so I am working on my NEAT.

Good news, I found out this morning that DS has been running on the treadmill in the evenings, working on his C25K I think. while I am not a proponent of chronic cardio, I am sure this doesn't describe what he is doing. And he desperately needs to move. I like that he is getting in a habit. Once at college maybe he will add some weights to his routine, the rec center is across the street from his dorm.
          Chris
          Unknown

Comment

• Hooray for a good DD And, very cool about DS. I wish I had learned good habits when I was young instead of trying to undo 30 some odd years of bad behaviors. College is hard. All of those people eating pizza and drinking beer. Unlimited french fries, etc. in the school dorm.
            -- Ruth

Comment

• Thanks, and yesterday was a very good Moderate day. I am getting better at my NEAT. My eventual goal for that is to not be on technology at home for more than an hour total all day. So now that my mom and I tend to have 6 to 8 games of "Words with Friends" going at any time that will pretty severely limit my time at home. Of course I still sit at a computer at work, so I will still get on when I need to, just not at home.

I worry about DS because he is sedentary by nature, his hobbies and pursuits tend to be sedentary (if not sitting then at least standing very still-ie rifle), and he is introverted. The good news is there won't be food in his room though, he will at least have to go out to get something to eat. Although it is likely he will just take the elevator to the cafeteria in his dorm. They purportedly have the best cafeteria food on campus. But I think as he gets more fit and comfortable in his skin, and if my daughter has any say in the matter he will be visiting the rec center.
              Chris
              Unknown

Comment

• DS and I were chatting last night about Myers-Briggs, and we are literally the exact opposite personality types. He is an ISTJ and I am an ENFP. Maybe that is why we get along so well?

The past week or so, I had decided I needed to get a serious belly laugh in at least once a day. So I started reading the Pinterest "Humor" page at night (or the awkward picture website, or the People of Walmart site). There are things on there that make me laugh till I cry.

Last night I was trying to read one to DS but was laughing too hard to finish it. He started laughing so hard he had tears streaming down his face. Then just as we were finally getting to where I was almost calm enough to finish reading it to him, DH lets out a loud snoring snort-he had slept through our entire laugh fest. We stopped for a second, looked at each other, realized what had happened, and then started back up again to the point that DS was literally on the floor. And DH still slept!

Burned some calories though.
                Chris
                Unknown

Comment

• Ok, feeling good, the 5:2 (well 3:2:2) is falling back into place. Paula has reminded me about sleep, so tonight I will get back to my old pattern. I am doing better and better with staying away from the computer while at home. I am remembering to use the bathroom upstairs at work (yesterday I did 12 flights of stairs according to fitbit), so NEAT is improving. Now I need to get back on the treadmill, not so much about cardio but so that I can get my steps up to at least 10,000 a day. Not had any wheat or sugar all week and the creeks and aches are subsiding.

Gotta take DS to camp on Saturday, and have tons of stuff to do this weekend for the church obligations I have gotten myself into. I did finally get the 5 shrubs transplanted last week, so I would like to go get some succulents to put in the planters out front and get those planted this weekend. So except for the crafting and car ride, I should be able to stay off my derriere.
                  Chris
                  Unknown

Comment

• so, Dh went flying yesterday afternoon. He had not gotten home by 11pm and I had not heard from him. Every time a mental picture of his smashed plane with his and co-owners bodies mangled up inside I would tell myself that I would have gotten a call, and I would walk into the kitchen and put something else in my mouth. Telling myself I would get a call was helpful eating was not. I felt like crap at the end of the night, physically and emotionally exhausted. He finally called at 11:30 to say he was on his way home from the airport. The funny thing is, my phone was recharging in the bedroom, so I didn't get there in time, and the message he left said, "well you must have gone to sleep, so much for being worried", as his co-owners wife had let them have it for not getting in touch earlier and that was really the only reason he had called.

Tummy is not happy today, one of the things I ate was part of the pizza I had made for DH's dinner. So I am going to keep food to a minimum. This should be reasonably easy since I have to take DS to camp mid-afternoon, and then run some errands on the way home, and then do some serious crafting this evening to be ready for tomorrow's church decorating gig.
                    Chris
                    Unknown

Comment

• I know if it were me, I would let him know how much you appreciated the call and that YES you were worried but did not reach the phone in time. This way, he will (hopefully) call again should he be running late.

So then was yesterday an UD since you had pizza. If it was a moderate day I would just move on and not be restrictful today.
                      Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

Comment

• It was an UD. I am not being restrictive so much as giving my intestines a rest. TMI Alert, but I have a bit of loose stools (multiple) this morning, not sure if it is from what I ate or how much I ate, but pretty sure it is food related (although the work to keep worry down could have contributed), so a little rest is in order I think.

I did tell him that I was worried, and that unlike when we were teenagers, cell phones take away the excuse that "I couldn't get to a phone". A text, email, or phone call are all possible from that "greatest Christmas present of all time" (what he calls the phones) and any of them would have been appreciated. I also let him know that I had to work hard to keep my worry/panic level down, because every time it started to rise my brain threw in concerns over our DD (who is still in Spain) and I would begin to feel really sick to my stomach. He got it, I think.

I watched Netflix stand-up comedians all night, trying to keep my mind in a happy state.
                        Chris
                        Unknown

Comment

• Unfortunately, I'm a bit like your DH. Sometimes, it doesn't occur to me that other people might be worrying about me.
                          -- Ruth

Comment

• It also rarely seems to occur to him to worry about others. Oh he worries about a lot of shit, don't get me wrong. It is probably a good thing that we worry about different kinds of things.
                            Chris
                            Unknown

Comment

• Gotta admit the worry is the worst! My hubby and teen know to call or text or fear my wrath! You guys seem much nicer about it than I am as I always come up with an equally inconsiderate pay back. It rarely happens now

Comment

• As fear and worry creep into my head (as regards the safety of someone who is later than I think they should be) I work hard to remind myself that I would be the first person called as my phone number is on the lock screen for everyone's phone. Then I get myself busy with something that makes me forget time. It is the only way I could survive. I can't bitch too much as I was one of those kids who didn't call, so I get it from the other side. I guess this kind of event is my pay back.
                                Chris
                                Unknown

Comment

Working...
                                X