No announcement yet.

Primal Journal-deMuralist

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The body is amazingly resilient, that's for sure!

I've been reading Durkan (I'm the only one who could probably follow him - low cal/low fat/fairly high protein). While I'm not so sure I have any interest in following his plan, he does have some interesting points. Two things struck me as interesting: (i) as you gain/lose weight many times, the body becomes more efficient at digesting food. While in the past you may have gotten only 100 calories out of a piece of bread, you become more efficient, and now you get say 120 calories out of it. May explain why low carb becomes more important (I'm theorizing that it is more difficult for the body to extract calories from meat than say a sweet potato) for us who have dieted a lot. (ii) he says the body "remembers" your weight stabilization. For me, I was probably 160 all the way through high school (modestly overweight), some of college, and then again for a few years after I lost weight. It may explain why breaking the 160 barrier is hard -- my body remembers this as a set point of sorts.

Not that any of this helps, but it was interesting at least

I like that it is the diet, not me. I seem to have no problems getting the protein (today, I got in 135 grams, and I was NOT trying to get anything close to this much) and, as long as I keep calories down, seem to digest it okay (this is why I hypothesize that I do better with beef and other "hard" proteins, as noted earlier -- I think my body is too efficient at digesting other foods -- which, oddly enough, matches my personality [I am BIG on efficiency]), but I do not think this works near as well for you ladies. Sabine does well to totally fast, whereas I'm happier with one small meal (it's a mental thing, I know). Just goes to show, when all the Paleo folks say it is an N=1, it really is true....
    -- Ruth

Comment

• I think if you do a mainly meat diet that whatever fat you get with it and while cooking it is plenty low enough. I can see not wanting to add it for the sake of increasing your fat. However low fat gives me the shivers just thinking about it.

I also have no doubt that we each utilize food, and macros in particular, differently. And is likely the reason that one diet that is effective for everyone has not been found.
      Chris
      "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
      Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• I don't mind lo cal, but at the moment, can't conceive of lo fat. However, if nothing else works or I get close to my goal weight, I could go there. But, I'm not there now
        -- Ruth

Comment

• There are some things I thought I would never do. One was to go very low calorie or fast. Hmmm. the other was low carb. Hmmm. So I hesitate to say I wont do anything. But I will have to be pretty desperate to do low fat again. I sort of feel like there is a reason it tastes so darn good. Of course that could be said of sugar as well. So what do I know.
          Chris
          "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
          Unknown

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• Bringing fat back into my diet has been literally joyful. I can live without sugar (or rare), but I'll be saddened if fat has to drop back out, unless it's a temporary thing. Let's hope it doesn't come to that, at least for long, for any of us!
            -- Ruth

Comment

• I am with you on that one!
              Chris
              Unknown

Comment

• SW 4/1/13 =274.8
                CW=268.2 down 1.8
                Sleep= 6:24 81% efficiency --damn it the bedroom is not cool enough.
                Urine Ketones= didn't bother
                Blood Ketones= didn't bother
                Calories = 576
                Net Carbs = 8g/6%
                Fat= 49g/76%
                Protein= 27g/19%
                KR = 1.98
                Steps=7072

Yesterday went very well, just light occasional hunger pangs, drank all day, ate a bit when I got home and it didn't set off a frenzy! I drank some more, had a bit of the boys caesar salad, and ended the night with a nice cup of tea with a splash of half and half (a measured 2T actually-I weigh everything!)

What I did notice was that I was a bit "on edge" sort of easily irritated, although I didn't say or do anything about it, I could feel it in my gut.

I bank overtime hours at work so I can take my comp time whenever I want. I realized yesterday that I did the math wrong and now technically have no more opportunity to get "paid" time off this year, unless we have an event or something that happens outside of our regular business hours and I work it. That was a bit disappointing.
                Last edited by demuralist; 04-11-2013, 05:46 AM.
                Chris
                Unknown

Comment

• Originally posted by demuralist View Post

What I did notice was that I was a bit "on edge" sort of easily irritated, although I didn't say or do anything about it, I could feel it in my gut.
                  I wonder if this feeling will lessen or disappear as your body gets used to the Down Days. I haven't noticed it yet, but it does seem that a ot of people mention it at the beginning, but then not after a while. Either it dissipates, or they get used to it and adjust.

Comment

• Originally posted by RMS123 View Post
                    Bringing fat back into my diet has been literally joyful. I can live without sugar (or rare), but I'll be saddened if fat has to drop back out, unless it's a temporary thing. Let's hope it doesn't come to that, at least for long, for any of us!
                    who is talking low fat?? EWWW.. lol

Originally posted by Sabine View Post
                    I wonder if this feeling will lessen or disappear as your body gets used to the Down Days. I haven't noticed it yet, but it does seem that a ot of people mention it at the beginning, but then not after a while. Either it dissipates, or they get used to it and adjust.
                    I noticed this in myself.. not a good thing when teaching kids.

Sorry about the sleep and the heat. We have a layer of ice covering everything.. kinda pretty when spring is covered in ice, flowers and all. Its too chilly here for this time of year to me. I would send you some if I could.
                    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

Comment

• the problem is that DH comes to bed after I do (he falls asleep in the recliner about 8:00, then comes to bed after 11:00), otherwise I would just adjust the AC. Now I am going to have to talk him into it.

I am sure the irritation thing will go away, I am generally someone who gets irritated and then forgets all about it within like 5 minutes, a pretty easy going personality, so this can't hold on too long!
                      Chris
                      Unknown

Comment

• I run 20 degrees colder than DH and mom. You can imagine that we are NOT on the same page in terms of heating or cooling... In the summer, I'd rather be hot all day and cool at night (better sleeping). DH would rather be cool during the day. Mom just wants to be cool all of the time (but she does not pay the electric bill!)
                        -- Ruth

Comment

• lol.. im like you..my mom never thinks my ac is low enough especially in the summer..LOL
                          Karin

Comment

• I actually don't care much about what it is during the day unless I am just burning up, but I gotta have it cold to sleep well!
                            Chris
                            Unknown

Comment

• yep.. it needs to be cool to sleep. Poor Lily, she is always cold.
                              Karin

Comment

• ah, but that is what sweat pants/shirts and down comforters are for! We have an all season down comforter on the bed, but I sleep in a t-shirt weight pj year round. I have a box fan blowing on my feet, and the ceiling fan is on.
                                Chris
                                Unknown

Comment

Working...
                                X