No announcement yet.

Primal Journal-deMuralist

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've been reading the diet doctors experiment with NK. He seems to see nuts & cream as cheats. Not sure why. I am going to give up the nuts (they have all been put at the back of the freezer) & I have just run out of cream. The cream cheese has also run out. If I am going to over eat I will also go for the Kerrygold butter which is salted. This has just gone in the freezer. So, going forward, the only dairy I shall be having for the next week will be grass fed, organic unsalted butter (I cannot this eat this on its own) & raw cheddar which I do not binge on anyway. Maybe that will get me out of my stall. At the very least it might stop my fat cravings.

Thank you everyone for giving me the momentum to do this.

Comment

• why unsalted butter?
      Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

Comment

• I really am brain dead - Have put this post where it should be sorry
        Last edited by Ddraig Goch; 03-14-2013, 12:18 PM.

Comment

• Alright, I am going to start dropping Dairy and Artificial Sweeteners tomorrow, with the goal of being totally clean of them by 3/22.

Primal since 9/24/2010
          "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
          MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Comment

• Rosedale's Protein guidelines
            Protein is broken down by digestion into amino acids, which provide the building blocks for structure and repair in the body. It can be used for energy if we are starving, as we often do on low calorie diets, but this process is very inefficient and generates toxic by-products.

The amount of protein in one's diet is determined on an individual basis by factoring in weight, metabolism, activity level and gender. This is the only thing we ask you to count in our program. It is necessary to understand this is not a high protein diet, but actually an adequate protein, higher quality fat diet. Your body needs some protein to survive, but not so much that it views it as a liability and tries to burn it off as sugar. This is a very unhealthy way to live and can be easily avoided by keeping a within normal range of protein intake.

On average, you want to have approximately one gram of protein for every kilogram of lean body mass (that is, the weight of your body minus the fat - we all have some fat). The easiest way to calculate your daily protein requirement is to take your ideal weight in kilograms (that is, what you would like to weigh if you could weigh anything) and have roughly one gram of protein per kilogram, minus 10%. For example, if you were a woman who is 5.4 ft (165 centimeters) tall, your ‘ideal’ weight would likely be in the neighborhood of 110 lbs (50 kilograms). Thus, your protein intake per day should be somewhere around the 50g - 10% = 45 grams of protein, split approximately evenly between meals. If you have an especially active lifestyle, you can add 5-10 grams or so. An egg is roughly 6-8g of protein and a piece of meat the size of a deck of cards is around 15. Remember this is 15 grams of protein; the meat will weigh much more as it also has water and fat, so we are not talking about the 'weight' of the meat, but the protein grams. This doesn’t have to be exact, but it’s a good ballpark figure to keep in mind when you’re eating. Males will have a little more, if you are pregnant you would add about 5 grams as well.

I took a range between 150 lbs and 175 lbs (60-70g protein)
            Primal since 9/24/2010
            "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
            MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Comment

• Originally posted by athomeontherange View Post
              why unsalted butter?
              When I first started this WOE I tried using salted butter (I bought a load in the sale at the beginning) but it made me feel quite ill so I switched to unsalted for putting in my broth & for cooking with (I haven't used salt for years) . Since then I occasionally eat the salted if I am roaming the fridge, even though it still affects me, because it tastes nice & has no protein, so its now all in the freezer.

I have been following all the discussions on salt with interest but still don't salt anything & haven't been able to find any commercial broth I would want to drink. If I get any of the apparent symptoms or when I start exercising & its hot, then I will think again.

I suppose I could just use CO for cooking but prefer to get my fats from a range or sources & butter is a lot cheaper

Comment

• Originally posted by Pebbles67 View Post
                Alright, I am going to start dropping Dairy and Artificial Sweeteners tomorrow, with the goal of being totally clean of them by 3/22.

Fantastic am sure dropping these (especially the AS) will help your binging. I promise you do get used to unsweetened food. I have not had sugar or AS for a year now & I find 85% chocolate & strawberries too sweet to eat

Comment

• good luck. I guess I just don't want to lose weight enough to put myself through that just yet.
                  Chris
                  "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
                  Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• Originally posted by demuralist View Post
                    Well, here is the deal. I am not giving up dairy or AS, not right now. I will cut it way back, as far as I can and not feel deprived, but geez lets be reasonable here. My first and last teas of the day are going to be loaded up with HWC, butter, and stevia. I can switch my butter out for coconut oil or MCT in the broth, and just drink the rest of my tea without fat, but I like sweet and I honestly think that drinking it keeps me out of the sugar sweets in the house, so I am reticent to give it up.
                    I have two divergent thoughts. When I first figured out I had to give up gluten, I didn't think I could do it. I did. Then I found I couldn't do dairy. I did it. Then I gave up grains. I haven't looked back. Then fruit. More recently, nuts, avocados, olives, etc. have been limited. So, can we do these things and feel okay? Yes. But, for most of us, not at once.

Having said that, there should really be some enjoyment in our food. If a little stevia brightens our day, but doesn't cause binges or other really obvious side effects, I say go for it. Also, all of us have lost weight before (although I'd say we've struggled to keep it off). Surely, and I have to believe, there is a plan out there where we don't have to be so exact (because it's nearly impossible anyway) and that allows us to take the weight off. Really, there has to be. Driving ourselves so crazy and not being able to eat anything or enjoy what we eat? That's not sustainable. I'm ready and willing to make changes, and recognize that I have to work harder than others, but it has to be reasonable. And, frankly, most of us are not looking to take off those "vanity" pounds - which might require such craziness and exactness.
                    -- Ruth

Comment

• Originally posted by Ddraig Goch View Post
                      Fantastic am sure dropping these (especially the AS) will help your binging. I promise you do get used to unsweetened food. I have not had sugar or AS for a year now & I find 85% chocolate & strawberries too sweet to eat
                      Originally posted by Pebbles67 View Post
                      Alright, I am going to start dropping Dairy and Artificial Sweeteners tomorrow, with the goal of being totally clean of them by 3/22.

I am going to use the last of my HWC, throw the cream cheese in the freezer with the cheese (I do not eat it much anyway) and then switch to coconut milk. I am keeping the butter in though unless it becomes problematic. I think he said he did not count butter in with dairy as its mostly fat. I will be interested in your progress with AS.. I need to drop it but might wait until summer. No way I can travel by car and not have it LOL
                      Karin

Comment

• Over the last few weeks my focus has shifted from losing the weight to being able to eat when hungry & listen to my body to know when to stop. When I do that I believe the weight will come off & more importantly stay off. But to do that I need to get rid of whatever is causing me to over eat so temptation must be banished.

Comment

• Oh, I am sure I could do it, but I will have to get to a point where I really believe I need to. I have quit smoking, I had been a vegetarian for years, I have given up coffee, grains, fruits, sugar, many vegetables, most nuts, nearly all alcohol (left with a glass of wine or beer once or twice a month at most), I rarely get to have sex, never get to go dancing, shit, I have to stop I am making myself depressed-don't wanna have a binge about the things I can't have!
                          Chris
                          "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
                          Unknown

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• Originally posted by demuralist View Post
                            Oh, I am sure I could do it, but I will have to get to a point where I really believe I need to. I have quit smoking, I had been a vegetarian for years, I have given up coffee, grains, fruits, sugar, many vegetables, most nuts, nearly all alcohol (left with a glass of wine or beer once or twice a month at most), I rarely get to have sex, never get to go dancing, shit, I have to stop I am making myself depressed-don't wanna have a binge about the things I can't have!
                            agreed.. unfortunately, I think I am there
                            Karin

Comment

• I am not even close!
                              Chris
                              Unknown

Comment

• I'm fighting it every step of the way. My latest developments (that I do best on mostly all animals) haven't really thrilled me.
                                -- Ruth

Comment

Working...
                                X