No announcement yet.

Primal Journal-deMuralist

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I liked the other thread better - the ones who were testing. They aren't posting, which is a bummer. The one led by reddarin, not my favorite. Unna, an occasional poster, usually has good stuff to say.
    -- Ruth

Comment

• I just saw today's Diet Doctor blog about "optimal ketosis" and he says he will post more details about his N=1 experiment as well as strategies for people who are still having trouble getting into ketosis.
      Chris
      "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
      Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• Good. I'm wondering if I've ever gotten there. I also cant figure out your strange results...
        -- Ruth

Comment

• I know i am hoping that more data points will help us understand
          Chris
          "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
          Unknown

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• I don't think we need as much protein as I once believed, but at some point, it's gotta not get too low.
            -- Ruth

Comment

• Yes. But i just have a really hard time thinking that to get to ideal (for health) weight that this much precision is required. I k ow that doing straight Atkins I lost 22 lbs then adding primal into the mix stopped it and everything i have done since has started me in the other direction. Crazy
              Chris
              Unknown

Comment

• Since starting my n=1 on low protein my BF has dropped by over a % point in 2 weeks. This has never happened to me before. After an initial drop, .LBM is steadily climbing again. I am so glad I have stuck to it & didn't start tweaking when the LBM was falling, but I do miss my high protein meals. It would be lovely to sit down to a whole chicken breast again.

Comment

• Re our discussion on macros I have just read this:

Weight of the Evidence: Search results for Does "Nutritional Ketosis" Require 85% Fat?

very interesting

Comment

• Yes, Very interesting. ARGH!!!!!

In order to get to JM's 85%, I have to eat 2000 calories. I am only able to do that by having 2 mega bullet proof coffees a day. It doesn't feel right. Eventually, I want to be eating REAL food. I'd rather eat fewer calories.
                    When we first started this, I was using the optimal diet macros in out first post. I was eating a normal amount of protein and about 70-75% fat and it felt more balanced.

Tomorrow is the end of the week. I may ratchet my fat back down to 70%ish. That way I can easily drop dairy as I have been wanting to do. And those damn artificial sweeteners which I have been using at an alarming rate. I know when I dropped dairy and AS once before, I had a big drop in weight.

at the situation.
                    Primal since 9/24/2010
                    "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
                    MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Comment

• I agree. The precision seems nuts. And, Paula, from my fat fast, anything above 80% seems like not enough "real" food. I know, for me, I wasn't getting enough fat before. But too much can be crazy as well.
                      -- Ruth

Comment

• Somehow, when I read personal diet experiences from men, I am just not as impressed. I guess I am always thinking, 'yeah, but he's a guy.' The male and female difference in weight loss seems so extreme to me, almost like we are different species. I know most doctors (including ones doing work in nutrition) are still male, so I guess I should let that bias go, but given how many times I have followed a male's weight loss advice and failed, it might be a hard one for me.

Comment

• It does seem to work different for men. Here's a woman doing well on nk. Ketosis Done Right: Meet Anne
                          -- Ruth

Comment

• SW 2/26/13 =274.8
                            CW=268.4 down .8 my feet and fingers are still a bit puffy today
                            Sleep= 7:32 93% efficiency
                            Urine Ketones= gonna wait till the FBS comes down
                            Blood Ketones= not today-waiting for FBS to drop
                            FBS= 99
                            Calories = 1737
                            Net Carbs = 13g/3%
                            Fat= 158g/83%
                            Protein= 62g/14%
                            Steps = 9481

Not quite sure why my FBS is not coming down? I am going to explore that link from DG and see what I can learn. I have not been able to reach 85% for the same reasons, I am simply not going to eat a tablespoon of coconut oil straight.

I will plod along, tomorrow I go for a college visit so my timing will be off and we are going to eat lunch out.
                            Last edited by demuralist; 03-14-2013, 05:08 AM. Reason: fitbit finally answered the computer and gave up its info
                            Chris
                            Unknown

Comment

• Originally posted by Pebbles67 View Post
                              When we first started this, I was using the optimal diet macros in out first post. I was eating a normal amount of protein and about 70-75% fat and it felt more balanced.

Tomorrow is the end of the week. I may ratchet my fat back down to 70%ish. That way I can easily drop dairy as I have been wanting to do.
                              Out of interest, how long did you stick to the optimal diet macros & how much did you lose? Have just read back at the beginning but must be brain dead.

Also do you include butter as dairy? I'm rather confused on this issue. I assume you include cream.

PS: the only reason I would be aiming for 85% fat going forward is to increase the calories, nothing to do with ratios. On 46g protein & 10g carbs I don't have much choice.

PPS: I have been doing 1 tbps CO as per Shangri-La but only because I want the health benefits of CO anyway & I want to test out the set-point theory & AS. I tried doing 2 but found I needed the calories for 'real' food more. I will increase to 2 when my calories go up so I can give SL the full try-out.

Don't you just love it that we are all doing our own n=1 side by side here. We are all learning so much from each other, even if we are all personally frustrated
                              Last edited by Ddraig Goch; 03-14-2013, 05:28 AM. Reason: PS

Comment

• I will get mom to helpmeet check fbs today. Concerned that it seems hard to get a good level...
                                -- Ruth

Comment

Working...
                                X