No announcement yet.

Primal Journal-deMuralist

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chris, I just posted this in Karin's journal.

Jimmy Moore's ketone level doesn't get high enough until his FBS is consistently below 90. I would not waste your ketone strips until you are seeing below 90 FBS for a few days in a row.
    Primal since 9/24/2010
    "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
    MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Comment

• after 2 days??? How are you doing this? I am struggling to get back..grrr
      Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

Comment

• Originally posted by athomeontherange View Post
        after 2 days??? How are you doing this? I am struggling to get back..grrr
        Low protein based on Dr. Rosedale's formula. See today's post in my journal.
        Plus high enough calories to get to 85% fat.
        And carbs below 20 (no veg. only carbs from dairy)
        Primal since 9/24/2010
        "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Comment

• Originally posted by demuralist View Post
          Well, as you can see according to the monitor the ketones were "LO" so none there.
          Been out all day so I rushed through the door & logged straight on. Shame about the anti climax - I was so sure your would be registering something. Still, with your great numbers I'm sure you'll be there soon. Just out of interest what number does it have to register to get a reading?
          Last edited by Ddraig Goch; 03-12-2013, 10:00 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

• Originally posted by Pebbles67 View Post
            Sodium - I start right back in at one cube after a binge. I don't usually drink it on binge days. Then by day two or three, I am back to two. It doesn't pay for me to stop entirely.
            So are you saying that sodium helps you get into ketosis. sorry, its been a long day & I'm confused.

Comment

• I agree it was very anti-climatic, sorry! I think the lowest number it records is 0.6

I think Paula feels better with the bouillon but doesn't necessarily think it helps with the ketosis.

I am sort of surprised that my blood sugar is 98. I actually only have 10 FBS strips on hand, they came with the monitor, but that is a good idea to save the ketone strips. I will have to go out and get some FBS ones.
              Chris
              "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
              Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ddraig Goch View Post
                So are you saying that sodium helps you get into ketosis. sorry, its been a long day & I'm confused.
                No, I just don't see any reason to stop and restart the extra sodium every time. If I were going to stop eating LCHF permanently, I would of course stop adding salt.
                Primal since 9/24/2010

Comment

• No need to apologise. I'm sure it was worse for you!

Comment

• very sad indeed.

I thought I should list my current dietary macros and open myself up for discussion...

Net Carbs <15g This would generally allow no more than 30g of total carbs
                    Protein Between 60 and 70g
                    Fat 80% plus. When hunger strikes I will eat fat.

This should put my calories in about the 1600 to 1900 range. I am going to spend most of my energy watching the macros though.

For the month of March I hope to hit 10,000 a day on average. My average last week was up over 8,000, but the college visits are usually good for walking around.
                    Chris
                    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
                    Unknown

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• From what I understand protein is the key here. The fat should be used for satiety - eat nearer 80-85% to get you into NK, which will then naturally reduce your appetite, then drop it down (no lower than 65%) for weight loss.

Perhaps if you are consistent with your carbs & protein & are still having problems you could maybe drop the protein down a few grams to see if that helps.

Comment

• I am thinking that to give this a fair shake I should keep it through the month of March. Especially since there will be 6 days scattered throughout March when I will have less control than I would like.

My proteins have been a bit lower than the 60 for the past few days. I am getting used to eating less of it at each meal.
                        Chris
                        Unknown

Comment

• Re your 'LO' reading. I assume you have the Nova Max. It seems they may not be particularly accurate, especially at the bottom end oif the range:

Precision Xtra vs. NovaMax Plus: Ketone Meter Evaluation Jimmy Moore&#039;s Livin&#039; La Vida Low Carb Blog

Hope this makes you feel better

Comment

• thanks.

I had the copper mouth on the way home today. I almost tested again, but I am not testing again until I reach below 90 on the FBS test in the morning. Given the urine stick barely changed (and that may have just been the difference between being wet vs. dry) I know it is pretty low, and I gained weight. I don't need that precise a set of numbers, just knowing I am in will work for me.
                            Chris
                            Unknown

Comment

• Given how well you have been eating, I'm surprised at the FBS. It doesn't seem like you should have to go much below where you are on protein, but who knows? I have heard that dairy can impact NK (some types more than others). If I see more about what types impact Ketosis, I'll post a link.
                              -- Ruth

Comment

• thanks. I have been thinking about the dairy. I have cut it back to pretty much just the butter and the HWC. And today I have started to cut back on the HWC (painful I tell ya!).
                                Chris
                                Unknown

Comment

Working...
                                X