Primal Journal-deMuralist

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by demuralist View Post
    yes, but if what we are looking for is comparative numbers (ie. am I losing LBM or holding steady) it should be just as reasonable as using a meter that is consistent right?
    If I take Monday's readings:

weight 173 lb BF% 40.9 Water% 42.0 LBM% 55.7%

so BF = 40.9/100x173=70.8lb LBM = weight=BF =173-70.8 = 102.2lb

but LBM = 55.7/100x173=96.3lb a difference of 5.9lb.

I believe the LBM% figure is more accurate but off the top of head I cant remember the reason for the discrepancy, its something to do with the way body fat is measured using electrical current I think.

UPDATE: Just dug out the manual. It doesn't say how the LBM% is calculated I will ask at t4h pharmacy when Igo past.

NB: Having now read the manual (i'm not a manual reader) I have just discovered there are 2 results screens & that the second screed gives BMI & TDEE based on activity level. It also has a normal/athlete mode. So thanks for making me read the manual!
    Last edited by Ddraig Goch; 02-19-2013, 01:14 PM. Reason: update

Comment

• yes, but what I was saying is that since we admitted that neither is perfectly accurate, what we are looking for is a consistent number, and if there is a loss or gain of LBM, not necessarily exactly how much of it there is. I was thinking that as long as LBM didn't go down, that for now, that was enough information to know whether or not to raise grams of protein. So to try to unmirk the water, if I use the same measurement every time from the same machine, I should be able to use the information to determine whether or not I am losing LBM.
      Chris
      "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
      Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• argh, I am too lazy to put the pizza casserole recipe into MFP. What a pain.
        Chris
        "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
        Unknown

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

So, thinking that calorie intake, generally should be between BMR and TDEE? So for me 1840 and 2210 (or so). Or should I calculate BMR and TDEE for my goal weight? So then 1400 and 1680? Or somewhere at the midpoint?
          yes but make sure your TDEE is calculated at the appropriate activity level. Eg if you normally do no exercise during the week & exercise hard at the weekend you would have one TDEE for the weekday & a higher one for the weekend

Originally posted by demuralist View Post
          ahh, didn't think of the water. So if your scale would do the BF% and the Water% then you could do a subtraction and get LBM. I get it.
          No the water % just records hydration - muscle contains water, fat doesn't So as your muscle mass increases so the body's hydration level increases. I think the added extra is bone mass.

Comment

yes, but what I was saying is that since we admitted that neither is perfectly accurate, what we are looking for is a consistent number, and if there is a loss or gain of LBM, not necessarily exactly how much of it there is. I was thinking that as long as LBM didn't go down, that for now, that was enough information to know whether or not to raise grams of protein. So to try to unmirk the water, if I use the same measurement every time from the same machine, I should be able to use the information to determine whether or not I am losing LBM.
            yes I guess

Comment

• Originally posted by Ddraig Goch View Post
              yes but make sure your TDEE is calculated at the appropriate activity level. Eg if you normally do no exercise during the week & exercise hard at the weekend you would have one TDEE for the weekday & a higher one for the weekend
              Ah, yeah, not to worry on the hard exercise issue.

I think I am just not going to go over the BMR number and be good with that.
              Chris
              Unknown

Comment

• I'm having a really hard time making my brain think it can lose weight eating as high as my BMR. It keeps setting menu plans at 1250 cal which is 120 cals below. Just shows how brain washed I am by CW

Comment

• I can't believe I am about to type this, because when everyone else types something like this my first thought is "oh come on", but I don't think I can even get to 1660 today let alone get up to 1800! I will probably double up on my fat for my final BP tea, and that will get me to the 1600 or so mark.

I have to say that today I am feeling fair amount of dissonance about how much fat this is and how little of anything else. I am not hungry, and physically I am ok with it, but mentally I just can't think that fat should be my main source of nutrients/energy.

We'll see, I really want to have a smaller number on the scale when I go into the doc's office on March 5th.
                  Chris
                  Unknown

Comment

• My bmr is roughly 1500 calories. I do not lose at that weight. I maintain, usually.

I'm convinced, Chris, when you find the right combo, the weight loss will happen.

I was somewhat concerned about the fat other ratio. We need the fat the absorb the minerals, but don't we need enough to get the minerals? I'm thinking that's why I need more organ meats & that all my non-fat calories have to maximize nutrients. Still thinking on this.
                    -- Ruth

Comment

• Re: muscle loss. In the comments on the diagnosis diet site. Interesting. True? Who knows. This was Dr. E's response.

The fact that my blood sugar levels were so much higher on 75 g of protein than on 50 g of protein suggests to me that my body wasn't using that extra protein to build muscle or enzymes or mucus or anything else...it was just turning it into blood glucose--far in excess of what anyone needs in the bloodstream. Unhealthy levels of blood glucose. Even according to the Jaminets, hyperglycemia is perilous. I do agree with them on that. How would they propose I lower my blood glucose below 90's then? I was already eating very low carbs, and even low calories on many days. Lowering protein really did the trick.
                      -- Ruth

Comment

• I really want to get a meter. But i also dont want to put money out for another weight loss device
                        Chris
                        Unknown

Comment

• The meter doesn't phase me. It's the continued (expensive) strips. Oh, sigh.
                          -- Ruth

Comment

• yes, exactly it is the strips, I can get the meter for free. But I suspect in the end I will do it, because I will not want to let go of the idea that this will work for me. And also the possibility of cancer avoidance, although I really should find more studies on that part of it.

Yesterday went well, but 12g of carb is just super restrictive for me. Once I get below 30g it is work. I am actually having an easier time getting the protein down. Of course, per our discussion on calories and BMR, my calories are low (NEVER thought I would ever say that!).

STATS:
                            Calories 1711
                            Carbs 16g/3% (12g) -I ended up eating 2 servings of the pizza casserole-it was good but it added extra carbs
                            Fat 165g/84%
                            Protein 53g/13% (60g)

My boys start skeet shooting lessons today. I am excited for them. They have found a father/son activity they both enjoy and look forward to, and that we already have the equipment for (DH shot skeet years ago).

sleep last night was better, although I did not have an uninterrupted stretch of any great length, I did sleep 7:28 out of 8:15 with a 91% efficiency, and all of the wake ups were very short and I don't remember any dreams.

I think while DH is out of town this week I am going to take the memory foam off of the bed (it is a huge ordeal to do it because it is inside a zipped allergy full mattress cover and we have a huge king sized mattress). I think it did not help my sleep and it actually is so soft on top of the pillow top that it is difficult to turn over. I just have to figure out what to do with it when I get it off, probably try to roll it up and put it under the spare bed for now.

I will also be painting that rug in the breakfast nook, and if I feel really ambitious I will paint the master bedroom. I only have 3 walls left to paint in there because I painted the bay wall when I put up the curtains. Although, way more fun would be to go thrifting to look for the other 2 frames I need so I can get the pictures hung above the bed.
                            Chris
                            Unknown

Comment

• Originally posted by RMS123 View Post
                              Re: muscle loss. In the comments on the diagnosis diet site. Interesting. True? Who knows. This was Dr. E's response.

The fact that my blood sugar levels were so much higher on 75 g of protein than on 50 g of protein suggests to me that my body wasn't using that extra protein to build muscle or enzymes or mucus or anything else...it was just turning it into blood glucose--far in excess of what anyone needs in the bloodstream. Unhealthy levels of blood glucose. Even according to the Jaminets, hyperglycemia is perilous. I do agree with them on that. How would they propose I lower my blood glucose below 90's then? I was already eating very low carbs, and even low calories on many days. Lowering protein really did the trick.
                              Yes, the body turns about 10% of excess protein into glucose.
                              The interesting thing is that I just found research that says a sedentary woman only need 46 grams of protein. An average light exerciser needs .8 x wt. in kg. Dr Ede did not exercise for the first 2 weeks at all So it is likely that her body did fine on 50 grams.
                              Primal since 9/24/2010
                              "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
                              MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Comment

• I find I am happy with not more than 1600.. I really can not manage to get to 1800 because I feel full sooner. So I see what you mean.
                                Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

Comment

Working...
                                X