No announcement yet.

Primal Journal-deMuralist

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pre-tracking is usually good for me, unless I "plan" say a 300 calorie dinner and then something unavailable comes up (usually business related). Hate it when my plans go astray!

I'm so glad your cabbage soup is in our recipe group. I'm forever having to search for it and now I can go find it easily

I think the FF is a good experiment for us both. If it works, then I'll work even harder on my macros. I'm actually at about 80% fat right now. If 90% works, well, it'll give me some kind of information. If nothing else, maybe I do 3 days 1x/month to get a little weight loss. I'd be happy to lose 1 pound/month as long as it could be somewhat consistent!
    -- Ruth

Comment

• From doing the Atkins Fat Fast before, I would suggest weighing yourself every day while you are doing it. One caveat Atkins offered was that this should be used only by very insulin resistant people, and that the weight loss for 'normal' people might be too quick for comfort. I think we probably are all resistant(not sure I am using the right term, but I think you know what I mean) and it sounds like you are not keeping to 1,000 calories, but I would still be careful.

Comment

• thanks, I think if the jeans get loose I will start worrying. But yes, I think since I am up closer to 1500 calories and only 3 days I should be fine. also I am a wimp if I feel crappy I will stop!

I am with you Ruth, if I lose 1 pound a month consistently I would be great with that. Just get the scale going down. Of course that, for me, would mean 2 years from now, I will hit goal. But since I have been dieting for 40+, 2 seems like a drop in the Pacific. And yes if my normal WOE is maintenance, and I have to do a fat fast once a month so be it. I doubt it, I think both our bodies will heal and allow us to eat LCHF, without having to go to extremes.
        Chris
        "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
        Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• so your moving to 1500 calories for 3 days?
          Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

Comment

• I think it's more that both of us are going to 90% fat for 3 (short or long, depending on the view) days. Then, back to "normal" LCHF. In theory, for those of us who are particularly resistant, it is supposed to help us jump start things. Atkins has something like 1000 or 1200 calories (just for these 3 days), but I think Chris & I are more getting the macros and eating to satisfaction (for me, that's probably between 1200-1400 calories per day).
            -- Ruth

Comment

• ^what she said. I am aiming to hit 90% fat. My pre-tracking says it is 1483 calories for today. Yep, Atkins says 1,000 calories and 4 to 5 small meals. Not going there. That is why it is my own version. It could end up being less calories if I skip some of the planned HWC in my teas. But I did those to balance the macros, so we shall see.

I am feeling good, it is 2:40 here, and I am eating my lunch. Running errands all morning, and just replaced my regular "can" facing in the kitchen ceiling with an LED. Brighter, right color temp, and cheaper to run -$25 a piece to buy though and I need 8, so I just wanted to try 1 before I invested in the whole shebang.
              Chris
              "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
              Unknown

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• So, for me, yesterday was not that hard. I did have Sunday as a sort of practice day though. Now, if I was also trying to come in under 1,000 calories I would not have been able to do it. Well, I could have, but I wouldn't have. Too much restriction for me.

I did not have a great night's sleep last night, Dh forgot to turn the heat down so our room was warm. Also wonder if the carbs are too low for good sleep. I guess we will see tonight. I woke up at 4:30, wide awake, so I just got out of bed. That means I was in bed for 7:10, slept for 6:27 which is a 90% efficiency. I don't feel sleepy, and I did have one long stretch with just a 1 minute blip in the middle. So we shall see how it goes.

STATS:
                Calories 1498
                Carbs: 20g/4% (5%)
                Net Carbs 7g
                Fat 158g/89% (90%)
                Protein 26g/7% (5%)

I call that close if not quite spot on.

Good news and bad news...bad news DH came home early and I ran errands all day, so still did not get to play with my Vitamix Good new is my treadmill is coming tomorrow
                Chris
                Unknown

Comment

• happy treadmill dance!!

Awesome news nailing the 90%. I have wondered about the relationship between carbs and sleep myself.
                  Karin

Comment

• I'm pretty sure I call that perfect. Yay for the treadmill!
                    -- Ruth

Comment

• so mid morning, still not sleepy, actually feel pretty energetic. Little tummy growl a few minutes ago, but it is gone now.
                      Chris
                      Unknown

Comment

• hmmm.. watching your progress...

Karin

Comment

• Never did get sleepy, interesting.

So i made a seafood chowder using the clam chowder recipe as a base. Figuring I could add enough fat to over ride the protein. What i didnt bargain for was that they added sugar into the clams. So when i tracked the recipe i was surprised at the amount of carbs. So i didnt eat any. I just went on and had a bullet proof tea.
                          Chris
                          Unknown

Comment

• I would say that my experiment is not terribly successful. Last night was another crappy sleep night. Yesterday evening I was prowling the pantry for protein. I will hang on today at least until dinner, but truly felt best on the first "real" day that I did this, which was Monday. But certainly not better than before I started the 90%. I think I need the protein, what I did find out though is that I don't really need the carbs. I tend to blame the lack of carbs on any down turn in the way I am feeling, and I think that keeping the fat fairly high actually has mitigated those issues.

I can see going high fat (90%) for a day maybe once a month or to shove myself quickly back into ketosis, maybe even, if I am only doing one day, keeping the calories lower. I could do that on a day that I am at work, and have something to do in the evening, away from my pantry.

TMI alert...last night I felt like I was going to start my period. You know that sort of unpleasant awareness of my lower abdomen. I am past due by about 2 weeks, so there is a possibility that hormones are in play here. Of course, they always are in one way or another, so I gotta learn to live with that.

So sleep last night, I was in bed for 8:15 and slept for 6:56 for an 84% efficiency. There was one stretch of 2 hours, and I can remember not long ago shooting to get at least a 90 minute stretch so it is all relative, but given what was happening last week, I call this a fail.

STATS:
                            Calories 1,397
                            Carbs 22g/6%
                            Net Carbs 10
                            Fat 148g/90%
                            Protein 14g/4%

I find it odd that protein is less than carbs, shows how hard it is to get away from those little buggers!
                            Chris
                            Unknown

Comment

• So what other measures are you using to determine if this experiment was a success besides sleep?
                              Karin

Comment

• my jeans, I will try them on tomorrow morning, my rings-which are spinning in place but still a tug to get off, and my face as far as "looks" are concerned. My energy level and general attitude as far as non-looks are concerned.

So I am going to start to push lowering my carbs, because this experiment did show me that is doable and not that hard.

So I plan to shoot for less than 25g of carb, and about half that as fiber-so about 13g of Net Carbs, I am going to shoot for about 75g of fiber and 140g of fat. That comes to about 1,660 calories. I may eventually try to work my way down to 20g of carb or less, but my carbs come from my cream, my avocado, and my dinner salad, so I don't see those as being an issue. The clams for last night did sort of smack me in the head though as I assumed it was clams in clam juice, no thought that they would add sugar. So I need to get back to paying attention to labels.
                                Chris
                                Unknown

Comment

Working...
                                X