Primal Journal-deMuralist

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So sorry about your period issues.

Yeah, the coumadin does add to the mess. I actually went back to using super plus tampons at night because I couldn't stand it.

Wow, I hope no boys check out your journal today. lol

I love Florida. We are going to Sarasota for Christmas week.
    Primal since 9/24/2010
    "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
    MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Comment

• Originally posted by demuralist View Post

I have not tried the ground beef version of jerky. I am doing an Alton Brown type recipe-I don't use a dehydrator I use a 20x20 fan, with air filters and pizza grates, so no heat. I buy the meat when it is on sale and freeze it. I don't know if ground beef would work with my drying method, I think I would have to have a dehydrator. Also, using ground beef increases the chances of food born illness, because it is not thoroughly cooked. It does not shrink as much as it would in the dehydrator, one flank steak made a lot of jerky!
      I have a dehydrator but to be honest.. I think maybe I used it once and can not even remember what I did in it, it was that long ago. How do you slice your steak thin? Do you slice it slightly frozen?
      Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

Comment

• How is your dad? Weren't you going to have more info on Wed? Hope you have had some beach time and are relaxing/enjoying yourself!

SPEED QUESTION: While reading they mentioned macrogreen items and I am thinking about getting some as I do not get a whole lot of veggies with limited carbs. Have you started taking some of this as well? Do you plan to?
        Last edited by athomeontherange; 10-21-2011, 01:06 PM. Reason: speed question
        Karin

Comment

• Dad is doing well, it is next Wednesday we are supposed to hear something, so I will keep you posted.

I did get some beach time. Mom took dad to his appt. on Wednesday cause they wanted to go to the luncheon afterward and the weather was perfect, spent the whole day (well till I took dad to his late appt) on the deck overlooking the beach reading and knitting, and chatting with mom when they got home. I got a lot of chat time with mom while dad was napping and lots of chat time with dad while I was driving him to his appointments. Great week! DS and I also got to visit with some old very dear friends we had not seen in several years. And we made the trip home in 9 1/2 hours (would have been less if not for Friday afternoon traffic in Chattanooga, and 21 miles of lane closings around Macon) So DS and I had lots of chat time as well, really a great week!

On the macrogreens, I started to look into it, but decided to wait and see how things go now that I am back and will be able to really go a while following the plan very closely. I plan to follow it pretty strictly until we go away for the Christmas week. We do Thanksgiving at home and it is no big thing, so it will be easy really. I am going to get myself a scale to weigh my portions (I think I am getting a little sloppy-translates to putting too much on the plate!). I am Going to work to keep my net carbs under 50g (which would generally mean about 65 total, give or take) and that allows me to have my blueberries and yogurt for breakfast, as well as avocado and cabbage for lunch, and a salad and at least one additional veggie with dinner. I will re-evaluate the greens idea after the new year.

On the jerky, yep we cut it pretty much frozen. When I buy the meat on sale I just toss it in the freezer until I am ready to do something with it. Hope to make some in the next day or so.

Still on TTOM (honestly! Sunday will make it 3 full weeks! I have an appointment with doc first thing Monday morning) but it does seem to be slowing down, except it has slowed down twice before in this sequence, so we'll see. At least it was light for the drive home! (I am on my 4th box of Ultra-2nd bag of overnights) My apologies to anyone who is offended by the tmi!

Paula-LOVE Sarasota, we used to spend 2 weeks every summer there. Love the Oslo Theater, St. Armand's square, the beach, the dolphins, miss it! Know you will have a great time. Have you been there before?
          Chris
          "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
          Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• So, as usual I did lose weight on vacation, a pound, today's weight 262. 5 days of being primal but not really watching other than that, so pretty good. Now I start in earnest! I am off to Trader Joe's for the weeks groceries, then off to buy a food scale, gonna weigh everything I put in my mouth. I will eat pretty much the same breakfast and lunch (with slight variations to keep from getting too bored-although I rarely get bored with what I am eating if I am losing weight!), and plan dinner for the week, basically a protein, a salad, and 2 veggies. Keeping it simple because when I get fancy is when I stop losing.

Meal Plan...

B: 16oz. of coffee, 2T heavy cream, 2T cocoa powder, 2 scoops of whey powder, stevia, 1/2C blueberries, 1/2C greek yogurt (Trader Joe's 2%, prefer Fage full fat, just too hard to come by-requires a special trip)
            L: 6oz can of salmon, 1C cabbage, vinegar, 1T chia seeds, 1 small avocado, cinnamon tea with coconut milk and stevia
            D: serving of protein (about 30g of protein), caesar salad, 2 different veggies.

p.s. I am rereading SPEED, Karin you seem to have better retention of info skills than I do! I was so excited about it when I got it that I speed read it, I need to do a serious read now!
            Last edited by demuralist; 10-22-2011, 08:16 AM. Reason: spelling
            Chris
            "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
            Unknown

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• OMG, I just slept 12 hours! This is gonna be a TMI post so please move on if you are offended by such things!

I think TTOM is finally over, yesterday was clear, yeah!

However, in the morning I realized I was constipated (my UC causes all sorts of crazy issues with BM's), and finally had to do an enema (have not had to do this since my first pregnancy!). It worked but I felt aweful, so I went back to bed and slept 2 hours, even though I had gotten a good 8 the night before. Then last night DH and DS came home from the football game at 9:00 and DH went through the mail (he had not bothered to go to the PO Box while I was gone and had a week's worth of mostly bills to go through). Well in the stack was a bill for my sleep retainer and of course it is screwed up. He got all pissed off and at the end of the rant he said "you said it would cost about $100 I am not paying $1400" ($1400 is a huge exaggeration-it looks like they are saying $360, and that is wrong but I obviously can't do anything about it on a Saturday night). No point in me saying anything, I finished making their dinner, cleaned up the kitchen and went to bed it was 9:30.

I woke up at 5:30 went into the living room and it was dark and cold and thought, what am I doing up so early-so I went back and crawled under my big ole comforter and fell back asleep, woke up at 9:00! Man it felt great.

So the boys are going off to go shooting today, they are excited and so am I, I have some housekeeping to catch up on and some lawn work to do, both are faster and easier with them gone.

Yesterday's food:

B: the mocha, blueberries, yogurt
              L: salmon, avocado, cabbage, vinegar, (I forgot the chia seeds), tea with coconut milk
              D: 6oz. of 80/20 beef, caesar salad, raw brussell sprouts, tea with coconut milk

Weight this morning 260.4!
              Chris
              Unknown

Comment

• I am going to repost these every time I hit a weight goal -yep, that means I just hit one!!!!!- I have lost 10% of my starting weight! 29.4 pounds gone

Note: I read the book S.P.E.E.D. on 10-10-2011, and immediately started using the principles in it. It is primal with portion control, and is about losing weight and keeping it off using scientific research to determine the method. http://doingspeed.com/

My goals...

My Ultimate Goal: is to achieve the highest expression of my body and my being.

My Intention: is to learn to follow my body cues, to naturally end my weight struggle, and to free myself to thrive in the rest of my life. To become my dream.

My Weight Goals with no time limit...
                -My start weight was 289.8 on March 1st, and I went Atkins low carb, got to 267 when I started Primal on 8-20-2011.
                -weigh in and record daily, no matter what the number, tape measure and bodyfat % once a month, on or near the 1st.
                -my first goal was to relose the weight I had gained from a round of prednisone, accomplished while on vacation no less, 270 July 29th, 2011.
                -my second goal is to lose my 10%, which would be 29 pounds, which is basically to hit 260 accomplished, 260.4 on October 23, 2011, lost 5.2 since starting SPEED on the 10th.
                -my 3rd goal is to get below my weight at delivery of my children (I weighed exactly the same at the last appointment before delivery for both of them), which is 252.
                -my 4th goal is to get back below my most recent "low weight" of 235. This is the point where people really start to notice the loss and where I was when I decided to go vegetarian to lose weight.
                -My 5th, and the real biggie, is to get below 200.
                -my sixth weight goal is to get to the weight I was when I started my first pregnancy, 182
                -my 7th weight goal is the final push I would like to get to 162 which is what I weighed when I met my dh,
                -my weight maintenance goal is to hover between 160 and 165.

Sleep Goals:

get 8 hours quality sleep every night-so get in bed by 9:30 when the alarm is going to go off at 5:30!-I am doing very well with this!

Psychology Goals:

Listen to my sleep meditations ever night as I fall asleep-doing well
                Deep breathing instead of joining into DH's stressors

Exercise Goals:

10,000 to 12,000 steps on my pedometer daily-start by adding a 30 minute walk (stroll to start) after dinner every night.
                5 essential movements 1 time a week-Tuesday afternoons
                1 "round" of Sun Salutation every morning (round=right and left side, so twice through)

Environment:

at least 2 meals a day, alone, focused on the food-no tv, no book, no computer. the 3rd meal eaten with family. -doing well here

Diet Goals:

-my calories as well as my micronutrients at the levels they were when I started this at the beginning of this week as these created a smaller number on the scale.
                -1,500 to 1,800 calories, with about 150g to 180g of protein, and close to 50g of net carbs, and fill in the rest with fat making it about 50% of my calories (600 to 900 calories of fat or 66g to 100g).-doing very well here
                -track on fitday.com every day -religiously!
                Last edited by demuralist; 10-27-2011, 05:58 AM. Reason: add website
                Chris
                Unknown

Comment

p.s. I am rereading SPEED, Karin you seem to have better retention of info skills than I do! I was so excited about it when I got it that I speed read it, I need to do a serious read now!
                  LOL.. my brain sometimes processes at a freaky speed and capacity.. it annoys a lot of people..LOL
                  Karin

Comment

• I am sure that is a helpful trait for a teacher. Wish I was better at comprehension, I am good at speed but without comprehension it is not very useful!
                    Chris
                    Unknown

Comment

OMG, I just slept 12 hours! This is gonna be a TMI post so please move on if you are offended by such things!

I think TTOM is finally over, yesterday was clear, yeah!

However, in the morning I realized I was constipated (my UC causes all sorts of crazy issues with BM's), and finally had to do an enema (have not had to do this since my first pregnancy!). It worked but I felt aweful, so I went back to bed and slept 2 hours, even though I had gotten a good 8 the night before. Then last night DH and DS came home from the football game at 9:00 and DH went through the mail (he had not bothered to go to the PO Box while I was gone and had a week's worth of mostly bills to go through). Well in the stack was a bill for my sleep retainer and of course it is screwed up. He got all pissed off and at the end of the rant he said "you said it would cost about $100 I am not paying $1400" ($1400 is a huge exaggeration-it looks like they are saying $360, and that is wrong but I obviously can't do anything about it on a Saturday night). No point in me saying anything, I finished making their dinner, cleaned up the kitchen and went to bed it was 9:30.

I woke up at 5:30 went into the living room and it was dark and cold and thought, what am I doing up so early-so I went back and crawled under my big ole comforter and fell back asleep, woke up at 9:00! Man it felt great.

So the boys are going off to go shooting today, they are excited and so am I, I have some housekeeping to catch up on and some lawn work to do, both are faster and easier with them gone.

Yesterday's food:

B: the mocha, blueberries, yogurt
                      L: salmon, avocado, cabbage, vinegar, (I forgot the chia seeds), tea with coconut milk
                      D: 6oz. of 80/20 beef, caesar salad, raw brussell sprouts, tea with coconut milk

Weight this morning 260.4!
                      I had had some constipation issues lately too.. hoping its the meds though. Have you tried like citricell? That usually does it for me.
                      Karin

Comment

I am going to repost these every time I hit a weight goal -yep, that means I just hit one!!!!!- I have lost 10% of my starting weight! 29.4 pounds gone

Note: I read the book S.P.E.E.D. on 10-10-2011, and immediately started using the principles in it. It is primal with portion control, and is about losing weight and keeping it off using scientific research to determine the method. S.P.E.E.D. - Evidence Based Weight Loss

My goals...

My Ultimate Goal: is to achieve the highest expression of my body and my being.

My Intention: is to learn to follow my body cues, to naturally end my weight struggle, and to free myself to thrive in the rest of my life. To become my dream.

My Weight Goals with no time limit...
                        -My start weight was 289.8 on March 1st, and I went Atkins low carb, got to 267 when I started Primal on 8-20-2011.
                        -weigh in and record daily, no matter what the number, tape measure and bodyfat % once a month, on or near the 1st.
                        -my first goal was to relose the weight I had gained from a round of prednisone, accomplished while on vacation no less, 270 July 29th, 2011.
                        -my second goal is to lose my 10%, which would be 29 pounds, which is basically to hit 260 accomplished, 260.4 on October 23, 2011, lost 5.2 since starting SPEED on the 10th.
                        -my 3rd goal is to get below my weight at delivery of my children (I weighed exactly the same at the last appointment before delivery for both of them), which is 252.
                        -my 4th goal is to get back below my most recent "low weight" of 235. This is the point where people really start to notice the loss and where I was when I decided to go vegetarian to lose weight.
                        -My 5th, and the real biggie, is to get below 200.
                        -my sixth weight goal is to get to the weight I was when I started my first pregnancy, 182
                        -my 7th weight goal is the final push I would like to get to 162 which is what I weighed when I met my dh,
                        -my weight maintenance goal is to hover between 160 and 165.

Sleep Goals:

get 8 hours quality sleep every night-so get in bed by 9:30 when the alarm is going to go off at 5:30!-I am doing very well with this!

Psychology Goals:

Listen to my sleep meditations ever night as I fall asleep-doing well
                        Start the yoga Sun Salutation at least once a day-not yet

Exercise Goals:

10,000 to 12,000 steps on my pedometer daily
                        5 essential movements 1 to 2 times a week
                        1 sprint a week

Environment:

at least 2 meals a day, alone, focused on the food-no tv, no book, no computer. the 3rd meal eaten with family. -doing well here

Diet Goals:

-my calories as well as my micronutrients at the levels they were when I started this at the beginning of this week as these created a smaller number on the scale.
                        -1,500 to 1,800 calories, with about 150g to 180g of protein, and close to 50g of net carbs, and fill in the rest with fat making it about 50% of my calories (600 to 900 calories of fat or 66g to 100g).-doing very well here
                        -track on fitday.com every day -religiously!
                        YEAH YEAH YEAH.. happy dancing with you!! I am so happy for you! CONGRATULATIONS! Meeting those goals is HUGE!
                        Karin

Comment

• If I have troubles I usually do a stool softener because the UC is in my large intestine and that is where the water in the diet is reabsorbed into the body. So when I am stressed or the UC is active usually it doesn't absorb fluids and the BMs are very loose, but on rare occasion it goes the opposite and they are too firm to move.

Again, so sorry for TMI but it is so important to how I feel.

p.s. obviously got this response out of order, this is in answer to using something like citrical

Thanks for the happy dance, I am really feeling so very positive about this since I am confident that not only is it something I am losing weight with but it is also something I feel sure that I can carry out for life with only minor variations once I meet goal.

My mom finally reached her goal weight (she is using a clean version of Weight Watchers-ie. they only eat real food), it took her 2 1/2 years. But what she does for maintenance is pretty much stay with what she has been doing with the occasional treat. She weighs daily and has an upper limit, which if she reaches it she goes back to strict adherence. Sounds very reasonable to me.
                          Last edited by demuralist; 10-23-2011, 10:29 AM.
                          Chris
                          Unknown

Comment

My mom finally reached her goal weight (she is using a clean version of Weight Watchers-ie. they only eat real food), it took her 2 1/2 years. But what she does for maintenance is pretty much stay with what she has been doing with the occasional treat. She weighs daily and has an upper limit, which if she reaches it she goes back to strict adherence. Sounds very reasonable to me.
                            A real foods version of WW and SPEED which is basically Primal with portion control come out to about the same thing in the end.

I contacted the guys over at the SPEED website and asked them how they thought their plan was or wasn't similar to the PB. They sent me a free copy of the ebook and asked me very nicely if I would please read it and give them any feedback I could from a Primal perspective. So I did.

Only a couple of things stood out to me as differences. They are ok with legumes including soy beans and soy products. I go with Mark on that subject. They are also ok with canola oil. Yuck.

I told them that their exercise plan looked really good but that people who are not super in-shape gym rats would probably not know what they were talking about when they just name some of the various exercise moves. I told them they should do some youtube links like Mark does to make sure people do the exercises correctly without hurting themselves. They said they have been working on doing just that for a while and will now really get on it. They both seem like really sweet people.

Congrats on getting things moving in the right direction weight wise.

Robin

Comment

• Yep, I just spent the week with my mom and we are pretty much on the same page food wise.

I don't care for legumes and have tried to cut out soy for quite a while, mostly because it is one of those things like corn that since it is subsidized and cheap it appears in everything. I don't do canola oil because there is no such thing as a canola.

I sent them a link to Mark's youtube video's of his 5 essential movements.

they do seem like very caring helpful people, and I love having the science to back up what I am doing. Obviously, I am thrilled and excited. thanks!
                              Chris
                              Unknown

Comment

• I have a doctor's appointment this morning so I am on a water only fast.

yesterday's food was...

B: mocha, yogurt, blueberries
                                L: cabbage, salmon, chia, avocado, vinegar, tea with coconut milk and stevia
                                D: 6oz beef, salad, 6 brussell sprouts raw, 1C spaghetti squash with 1tsp butter, tea with coconut milk.

That is 1,665 calories, 93g of fat-51%, 65.6g carbs-14%, 147g protein-35% I also had 27.5g of fiber, which puts my net carbs at 38g
                                Chris
                                Unknown

Comment

Working...
                                X