No announcement yet.

Primal Journal-deMuralist

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't mind doing cardio and I hate weight lifting so I figured this was a good start. Also he posted a study on the forum that basically said that the participants gained more upper body strength when they worked out the larger lower body muscles than when they worked just the smaller arm muscles. So I figure this workout gets the big lower body muscles and hopefully I am still gaining a bit of upper body strength, that way when I do start the weights I won't feel like such a weakling!
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• Ok, so here is a link to a list I saw this morning which includes things I had not heard before to help you get a good night's sleep. Very doable stuff here, so I am going to give most of them a try.

Use a New Pillowcase, and a New Scent | iVillage.com: 10 Surprising Ways to Get a Better Night

The calcium/magnesium/D3 combo that I started taking doesn't seem to be getting me more actual sleep, but I am waking up not as tired as before, so maybe what I am getting is deeper/better quality. I'll keep it up and just add to it.
      Chris
      "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
      Unknown

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• Originally posted by demuralist View Post
        I don't mind doing cardio and I hate weight lifting so I figured this was a good start. Also he posted a study on the forum that basically said that the participants gained more upper body strength when they worked out the larger lower body muscles than when they worked just the smaller arm muscles. So I figure this workout gets the big lower body muscles and hopefully I am still gaining a bit of upper body strength, that way when I do start the weights I won't feel like such a weakling!
        That's correct, something like squatting is the best resistance exercise you can do as you engage so many core muscles, and this is key. Targeting individual muscles is pointless and is for young guys who want to show off (and who end up with disproportional muscles).
        I think kettlebell work-outs would work well for you. I always hated weightlifting myself but there is something about kettlebells that combines good cardio and working your core muscles, so I am hooked now. I love how you can do them from home in the kitchen, and because it is so intense when done properly, less is more.
        Good to hear you are getting better sleep, this is key.

Comment

• Thanks, I will look into the kettlebells.
          Chris
          Unknown

Comment

• So TTOM started yesterday, RATS. Although I think that the longer it is before I hit it the better off I am (I think I heard that somewhere?)

Anyway, odd thing is that for the 2 days before I was really hungry. Not bingey, but quantity. Yesterday, I ended up not eating my afternoon smoothie and still had a fairly small dinner. Today feels normal hunger wise, although I do feel a bit creaky.

So the thing about the sleep...my fitbit says I am getting pretty much the same amount of sleep as before I started the magnesium/calcium/D3 combo, but I feel more rested. I will take it! I am going to implement most of the suggestions from the article I linked up above, but want to space them so I can tell which are helpful and which are not.
            Chris
            Unknown

Comment

• Just for my own records, this run of clean SANEity started Sunday Sept. 9th (I ate 1/2C ice cream on Saturday night), So no "cheats" allowed before this Saturday. I find that since I have such a bad sense of time passage that I think that I have gone clean longer than I have.

I have a pain in my back, I first noticed it on Tuesday morning. I think I may have stretched something while shifting in bed. It is what the docs like to call positional, ie. it hurts in certain positions and not in others, although in my case it hurts in most positions. Well, hurts is a bit of a strong work, lets say pretty uncomfortable. Since I had the pulmonary embolism though these sorts of things make me a little freaky. I am sort of constantly taking a deep breath to make sure it doesn't hurt more when I do that.

Sleep last night was negatively effected by TTOM and a full bladder, I finished drinking my tea a bit too late. Today on my way home from work I am going to pick up the few items I need from that sleep link and see what I can get to help. Oddly, even though the fitbit is telling me my sleep is restless, I feel pretty well rested.
              Chris
              Unknown

Comment

• So yesterday I had a craving, a very specific craving. Instead of powering through it, or eating other "healthy" things to fill me up, I decided that since it was so specific to go ahead and fulfill it.

It was oatmeal (weird right?). But even more specific, it was the way I used to eat it when I was in college. 1/2C of raw oats, with 2T of butter melted on top. Then sweetened, used to be with brown sugar, but I figured I could fudge here and went with a mix of xylitol, erythritol, and stevia. It was yummy, just as I remembered it. Probably needed it for mental health more than a physical craving.

Years ago I was on some diet, who knows which one, and beans were specifically not allowed on the diet. Now, I don't really love beans, and don't miss them now, but for some reason that really bothered me. So after I was on the diet for several months, a craving for beans started to overtake me. The kind my grandmother used to make. I obviously had none in the house. So I went to an all night grocery store and bought the stuff, it was like 3am. Got home and started making a pot of beans. using the 'fast soak' method, I ended up falling asleep and burning them because I boiled the water out. The smoke alarm woke me up (luckily it was just smoke, they had not caught fire). So now I go ahead and go with cravings when they are that specific!

So I didn't have my afternoon smoothie or a salad with my pulled pork at dinner. Which means I was way shy of my veggie goal for the day, and probably the protein too.

So today is new day "1" of SANEity.
                Last edited by demuralist; 09-14-2012, 04:38 AM.
                Chris
                Unknown

Comment

• That's exactly how I used to eat oatmeal. My grandpa always put butter on his...and then I did too. People thought I was weird. The other day, I was thinking how nice oatmeal would be... Weird, because I've never really eaten a lot of it
                  -- Ruth

Comment

• I think that going ahead and eating the oatmeal was a good idea, I am done with it now, and I expect not to think of it again for years! Instead of binging my way to finally eating it, just going ahead and giving in allowed me to enjoy it in a controlled/reasonable fashion. I think I started doing that because I lived in Florida and wanted oatmeal (well probably an oatmeal cookie) and it was too hot and I was too lazy to make a real bowl (I was too poor to buy convenience packages of anything-so instant was out of the question).
                    Chris
                    Unknown

Comment

• I feel like crap. TMI ALERT!!!!!!!

My Ulcerative Colitis is starting to act up, mostly so far, just making me feel crappy, no urgency issues yet, and not yet to multiple visits, just a spastic feeling in the colon and an unsettled feeling in the intestines. I have increased my meds to try to stop and reverse the course.

Not sure if it is related, or even maybe the reason for this situation and the IBD is not returning, but yesterday made it official that in the past week and a half I spent more days inSANE than SANE. There were a few SANE then 3 not, then 4 yes, then 3 really not. I have to get back on track with that, really need to pretty much consider it part of the remedy.

So far so good today. I will just go hour by hour.
                      Chris
                      Unknown

Comment

• Ugh, hope it gets better soon.
                        Primal since 9/24/2010
                        "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
                        MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Comment

• Pumpkin Spice Protein Latte!!!!

1C Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk
                          1C strong brewed coffee-chilled
                          1/2C pumpkin puree
                          Sugar Free Caramel Syrup (to taste)
                          1/8 tsp pumpkin pie spice
                          1/2 C egg whites
                          1T of HWC
                          scoop zNatural unflavored whey powder
                          1/2 tsp xanthum gum (optional, but makes it really creamy)
                          any additional sweeteners to your taste-I was looking for dessert so I added a small bit of stevia and xylitol

Put it in the blender, fantastic!

UC is getting worse, kicking up the meds, hope to turn it around.

Yesterday was a very good day. Weird, because I just got pissed that I have been at least 80% Primal for over a year, and 90%SANE for over a month and I swear I am getting bigger. I have not gotten on the scale or measured, keeping true to my pledge to keep away till November. But I just decided to let go of the rules and eat what I felt like eating.

So I had...

Breakfast: a Strawberry breakfast smoothie, no veggies, YUMMY!
                          Snack: I drank a liter and a half of water into which I had brewed 3 green tea bags and added stevia.
                          Lunch: Natural Peanut butter, with raspberry sugar free syrup (tastes like PB & J), with some raw pecans, and one square of a club cracker (after I bit into it I decided it wasn't what I wanted so I tossed the rest of it).
                          Snack: Pumpkin Spice Latte
                          Dinner: while cooking dinner I munched on raw carrots, radishes, and cauliflower dipped into homemade ranch dressing, then had about 8 oz of grass fed beef that I cooked with fresh salsa, and a very small piece of homemade fried bread (2.5" diameter)

Not totally Primal, not totally SANE, but it felt good, I was not obsessed with food all day, I was not hungry, and I was not stuffed.

STATS:
                          Calories: 1,722
                          Carbs: 89
                          Fat: 80
                          Protein: 159
                          Fiber: 19

I am going to continue on this path and see where it gets me, at least mentally it is much less stressful!
                          Chris
                          Unknown

Comment

• Well last night I went to a class at church, boring! The lecturer read from his dissertation. Got home late, needed to make dinner for DH and myself (DS eats at the Wednesday night supper, I don't). I had made myself a pumpkin latte on the way out so I wasn't starving. But DH had brought home a bag of fresh bagels. Normally this would be no big deal, I actually don't really care much for them. But for some reason they drew me in last night. I had 2! One was a cinnamon one and one was pumpkin. I didn't eat dinner though and that is actually a step forward as in the past I would have binged and still eaten dinner. I made DH gnocci which I definitely don't care for so it was easy to skip it.

And again I say,,,today is a new day.
                            Chris
                            Unknown

Comment

• Yesterday was busy. Thursday night is rifle practice, and as soon as DS and I got home from there DH and I went out to a new restaurant with friends. Yummy, and swanky.

I had a salad, which was almost a cup of greens in a little pile with a few slices of red onion and crushed nuts on top on one side of the plate, and 2 cubes of fresh beets on the other with a 1 oz cube of blue cheese next to them and a swirl of dressing on top and in between it all. Then for dinner had salmon which they had rolled around spinach and baked, and I had on top of spinach (which I had substituted out for the risotto that it came with). Had a bit of red wine and french press decaf after dinner. Dh ordered a dessert, fried bread (basically donut holes) rolled in cinnamon sugar set on top of blueberry compote and lemon curd (a small smear of each) with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top. I had a small bite of the donut, it was good but not spectacular, and I knew better than to touch any ice cream on his plate! All in all very good and successful. And it was a treat from the other couple, so no cost to us, even better!
                              Chris
                              Unknown

Comment

• Sounds absolutely wonderful. That's exactly the way I think eating out should be!!!!

I used to LOVE, LOVE, LOVE bagels. The ONLY thing that probably saves me is intense stomach pain. Love to see that you jump right back on the wagon.

The pumpkin protein latte sounds wonderful... I've got to check and see if Sam's Club has the pumpkin in yet. I buy 2 cases to get me through the winter I adore pumpkin!
                                -- Ruth

Comment

Working...
                                X