No announcement yet.

Primal Journal-deMuralist

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• well sort of, they suggest 2 to 4 meals or IFing every other day while trying to lose weight. I am not into fasting so the 3 meals works well for me. It is not drastically different from the leptin reset, except in the details. They suggest you split your nutrients faily evenly into however many meals you do, but you don't have to eat within 30 minutes. But it does end up being a lot of protein at breakfast still. they also essentially advocate eating pretty much the way the Primal Blueprint book does if you want to lose weight (ie. lower carb, real food, etc), but they just add specific calorie ideas (backed by science). They also add the rest of the components (the SPE&E of SPEED) which kind of get lost on this forum (as so much of the emphasis seems to be on what you are not allowed to eat here) , but which I feel confident that Mark would go along with.

To me it just sort of rounds out the details of Primal Blueprint-of course that could just be that is what I want it to say!
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• I see. I am still trying to wrap my brain around HOW I can consume @ 207 g protein/day or @ 69g/meal.. I mean, Ok a scoop of protein powder is like 24g, an egg is like 8, 1 c full fat yogurt os 8 etc. etc.. I would almost need to have a protein shake 2-3 times per day to get it all in. Going to have to strategize. Do they give parameters for carbs? Like <50 etc.?
      Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

Comment

• They are into high nutrient density, and think carbs should be less than 40% of intake, but can be as low as 20%, which they predict will put you between 50g and 150g.

I can't advise you on the protein except to say, I don't eat eggs now as they are too low in protein-I would have to eat like 10 of them-no can do! But my canned salmon at lunch has 39g of protein and in only a 6oz serving and 2 (or 1 1/2) servings of it would not be an unreasonable amount of food. Also, when you start plugging into fitday (or whatever you use) you find that most foods have some protein in them. An avocado, 4C of salad greens, or my 1T of chia seeds each have 3g of protein. It starts to add up. I got 170 the day before yesterday.

At breakfast I have 2 scoops of protein (50g), coffee (has .6g of protein), cream (.6), 2T cocoa powder (2.1g) 1/2C fage full fat (9g), 1/2C wild blueberries (.5g) so my smoothie with blueberry yogurt breakfast has 62.8g of protein.

I did 8oz of Laura's lean ground beef 92% (it was on sale) and it had 42g of protein. I think lean beef works better for nutrient density and so you don't get full before you finish. I put in lots of parsley and thyme because both are high in iron. and ate that with a big salad.

oops I meant to add that I may have to switch to Trader Joes low fat greek yogurt as I get 12g of protein for a 1/2C every little bit counts. It will be sad though the full fat tastes so good.
        Last edited by demuralist; 10-13-2011, 10:58 AM. Reason: oops
        Chris
        "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
        Unknown

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• Hi Chris.
          I'm intrigued with the book you mentioned on the Leptin Menu Sharing thread. I couldn't find it on Amazon. Who is the author, and the title again, please!
          Indigogirl

Comment

• Hi Indigogirl, if you buy it from the author's you get a month of consultation at no additional cost. Matt is the author I have been corresponding with so far.

S.P.E.E.D. - Evidence Based Weight Loss

The title is S.P.E.E.D. the authors are Jeff Thiboutot and Matt Schoeneberge

I downloaded it as a pdf onto my computer then loaded it onto my nook. very easy and I have the copy on my computer to use to look things up and the one on the nook for reading. I finished today, will begin reread in a day or two.
            Chris
            Unknown

Comment

• ok, so yesterday I ate too much, way too much over even my maintenance level of calories. Partly to see if I could get the protein grams and partly to see what my limit is. It wasn't about mass quantity of food, it was having beef instead of salmon at lunch, too much sauce with my fish (basically 3T of butter). I need to seek out lean sources of protein. Conservatively my calorie count was 700 higher than my previous days and I still didn't get to the 180g of protein. My weight went up. Total learning process, so it is cool. Today I am going to IF lunch-so big breakfast and nice dinner. I don't have time for lunch today anyway.

Yesterday's foods:

B: mocha, fage, blueberries
              L: pot roast, avocado, cabbage, oil, vinegar, tea, coconut milk
              D: tilapia, scallops, sauce, cauliflower, broccoli, caeser salad

I will have to leave work early today to take DS to his rifle match, he has to be there by 12:30 it starts at 1:30 probably ends near 4:30. Then he has a retreat out of town he goes to this weekend which he has to be at by 7 we will leave the house by 6. I will run to Trader Joes while he is packing to pick up salad fixin's and we will eat before we leave. I am just going to do Laura's lean with herbs for me and sloppy Joe style for him, with salad side.

today's weight 263.6
              Chris
              Unknown

Comment

• Originally posted by demuralist View Post
                ok, so yesterday I ate too much, way too much over even my maintenance level of calories. Partly to see if I could get the protein grams and partly to see what my limit is. It wasn't about mass quantity of food, it was having beef instead of salmon at lunch, too much sauce with my fish (basically 3T of butter). I need to seek out lean sources of protein. Conservatively my calorie count was 700 higher than my previous days and I still didn't get to the 180g of protein. My weight went up. Total learning process, so it is cool. Today I am going to IF lunch-so big breakfast and nice dinner. I don't have time for lunch today anyway.

Yesterday's foods:

B: mocha, fage, blueberries
                L: pot roast, avocado, cabbage, oil, vinegar, tea, coconut milk
                D: tilapia, scallops, sauce, cauliflower, broccoli, caeser salad

I will have to leave work early today to take DS to his rifle match, he has to be there by 12:30 it starts at 1:30 probably ends near 4:30. Then he has a retreat out of town he goes to this weekend which he has to be at by 7 we will leave the house by 6. I will run to Trader Joes while he is packing to pick up salad fixin's and we will eat before we leave. I am just going to do Laura's lean with herbs for me and sloppy Joe style for him, with salad side.

today's weight 263.6
                So I am wondering the affect is if you eat pretty close to the recommended protein but fall short of long of the calories.. I got to get this book!
                Karin

Comment

• Got the book.. going to read it this weekend
                  Karin

Comment

• Ok.. I have read the book and am armed with numbers and a plan. Do you plan to IF a certain amount of times per week?
                    Karin

Comment

• I am soooo excited you got to read it and it appears to have had the same effect on you as it did on me! This is going to be fun.

Yesterday the number on the scale was up, for very good reason, for the 2 days before I had eaten too many calories. One of those days was 2 meals out, and the other I just ate (?) thought I was doing ok, but in my focus to get enough protein I got way too many calories.

So I thought yesterday I would IF lunch, it just didn't work, in fact while trying so hard to restrict my calories that much I ended up very hungry at night-not had this in months-and had a few nuts and dried apricots. No problem, except that once I put in my food for yesterday I was only about 250 lower than what I am shooting for, but it was way more stressful. Enough of that! I will just shoot for my calorie target as best I can, and move on! p.s. only lost .2lbs for the stress of trying to keep my calories so low! So no IF for me, I will be doing 3 equal meals, no snacks, no skipping-for now. If I accidentally IF fine, but it will not be planned.

Yesterday I ended up with 1,480 calories, 113g of protein (31%), 58g net carbs (18%), 81g of fat (51%), so the percentages were about right, but not fun.

The day before (that caused the gain) was 2714 calories, 185g protein (27%), 45g net carbs (10%), 178g fat (59%), and I had a half glass of red wine.

So obviously it is about more than the carbs, and about more than being Primal. This week just solidified that the SPEED book is right for me!

I am going to try to keep my calories as well as my micronutrients at the levels they were when I started this at the beginning of the week as these created a smaller number on the scale. That means I am shooting for about 1,500 to 1,800 calories, with about 150g to 180g of protein, and close to 50g of net carbs, and fill in the rest with fat making it about 50% of my calories (600 to 900 calories of fat or 66g to 100g).

I am going to gather my goals today and put them in one place, my journal.

So excited to have a partner on this journey!!

Yesterday's Food:

B: mocha with coffee, 2T cream, 2 scoops whey, 2T cocoa powder, squirt of stevia

L: (had planned IF, but hungry so I had the rest of what I would have eaten for breakfast had I not been trying to cut my calories so much) 1/2C fage full fat yogurt, 1/2C wild blueberries

D: 8oz. laura's lean ground beef 92%, parsley, thyme, minced onions, caesar salad

S: tea, coconut milk, stevia, 4 dried apricots, 7 macadamia nuts

weight this morning 263.4
                      Chris
                      Unknown

Comment

• My goals...

My Ultimate Goal: is to achieve the highest expression of my body and my being.

My Intention: is to learn to follow my body cues, to naturally end my weight struggle, and to free myself to thrive in the rest of my life. To become my dream.

My Weight Goals with no time limit...
                        -weigh in and record daily, no matter what the number, tape measure and bodyfat % once a month, on or near the 1st.
                        -my first was to relose the weight I had gained from a round of prednisone, accomplished while on vacation no less, 270 July 29th, 2011.
                        -my second goal is to lose my 10%, which would be 29 pounds, which is basically to break below 260.
                        -my 3rd goal is to get below my weight at delivery of my children (I weighed exactly the same at the last appointment before delivery for both of them), which is 252.
                        -my 4th goal is to get back below my most recent "low weight" of 235. This is the point where people really start to notice the loss and where I was when I decided to go vegetarian to lose weight.
                        -My 5th, and the real biggie, is to get below 200.
                        -my sixth weight goal is to get to the weight I was when I started my first pregnancy, 182
                        -my 7th weight goal is the final push I would like to get to 162 which is what I weighed when I met my dh,
                        -my weight maintenance goal is to hover between 160 and 165.

Sleep Goals:

get 8 hours quality sleep every night-so get in bed by 9:30 when the alarm is going to go off at 5:30!

Psychology Goals:

Listen to my sleep meditations ever night as I fall alseep
                        Start the yoga Sun Salutation at least once a day

Exercise Goals:

10,000 to 12,000 steps on my pedometer daily
                        5 essential movements 1 to 2 times a week
                        1 sprint a week

Environment:

at least 2 meals a day, alone, focused on the food-no tv, no book, no computer. the 3rd meal eaten with family.

Diet Goals:

-my calories as well as my micronutrients at the levels they were when I started this at the beginning of this week as these created a smaller number on the scale.
                        -1,500 to 1,800 calories, with about 150g to 180g of protein, and close to 50g of net carbs, and fill in the rest with fat making it about 50% of my calories (600 to 900 calories of fat or 66g to 100g).
                        -track on fitday.com every day
                        Chris
                        Unknown

Comment

• So day 1was 10-10-2011, weight was 265.6. Six days later and my weight is 263.0. Down 2.6 pounds and losing-which is more than I can say about the last 2.5 months.

Of those 6 days, 1 of them was a day in which I ate out 2 times, and another of them was a day I tested the upper limits of my calorie target but stayed within a VLC count as well as hitting my protein target. So to the naysayers...calories count for me. And since I have been at this calorie count numerous times in my life, but using a CW, it means that carbs count too. It is what you eat and how much of it you eat-that makes sense.

So yesterday, I did the grocery shopping, mowed the lawn, and did another coat of paint on the front door. Showered then went to the Vandy football game with Dh (so close, so painful), got to bed late, but got to sleep in so I got my 8 hours. My energy is returning!

They were subsequent days and I guess since I had gotten down to 261.6 I guess I got a little cocky. Those 2 days took me back up to 263.6. So the 2 days since I am back on track, I now know my 'limits' if I want to lose weight, and I am losing weight at a nice slow but steady pace and in a manner than does not feel weird or as if I am on a diet (ie. not deprived)

Yesterday's food:

B: my 'new' mocha, fage yogurt, blueberies
                          L: lettuce, avocado, salmon, chia seeds, vinegar (skipping the oil to allow for extra calories at dinner)
                          D: lettuce, fresh salsa, 1T sour cream, laura's lean 92% beef
                          Last edited by demuralist; 10-16-2011, 07:00 AM. Reason: fix it
                          Chris
                          Unknown

Comment

• I love your ultimate goal! Considering plagiarizing you and putting that over my kitchen table.

Comment

• Chris,

I have calculated what I think I need and am not sure its in the right line.

I should have 1759 cal/day
                              64% protein
                              16% carbs
                              20% fat

does this even "sound" right?
                              Last edited by athomeontherange; 10-16-2011, 09:19 AM. Reason: I answered my own question and erased it
                              Karin

Comment

• @abigaillyn go for it, I am pretty sure I got it nearly verbatim from a book called "Fit From Within" - which by the way is well worth the read, loved it!

@karin, I think your calories and fat are too low. I think your protein should be about 40% which would be about where you are -up to 200g or 800 Calories-well I think it would actually be 700 Cals or 175g of protein, but close so maybe shoot for 175 up to 200- and 50% or so from fat - 875 calories or 97g- and about 10% net carbs -which gives you a lot of flexibility for veggies/some fruit. I only subtracted 500 from my BMR (using sedentary as my amount of exercise). Anyway, you may have to experiment a bit, which is what I am doing and why I like a daily weigh in.
                                Chris
                                Unknown

Comment

Working...
                                X