No announcement yet.

Primal Journal-deMuralist

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I went back and read your progress. I like how you are doing your accounting of the day.

I think there is something to the EVCO.. I have strayed from it and need to get back to basics. I like your daily criteria though and am working on some of that myself.
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

Comment

• Thank You John for the reminder. Blech! Today I weigh 234, just under that magical wedding weight, but 20+ lbs from my lowest Primal weight. Jumping back in.
      Primal since 9/24/2010
      "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
      MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Comment

• cruel John, very cruel.

Thanks Karin, I am finding it very helpful to do a daily accounting.
        Chris
        "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
        Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• My N=1 experiment. 1. Cut way back on dairy and nightshades and -obviously- grains 2. take a flavorless shot of calories in the form of coconut oil or Olive oil in the middle of a 2 hour flavorless time span twice a day with a tsp of xylitol in a liter of water 3. take a 1 hour nap or listen to meditation

Yesterday...now, things are happening. Yesterday I made the family their weekly homemade loaf of bread. Usually the whole time I am making it I am saying to myself "only 1 piece, only 1 piece" sort of like a mantra. Yesterday I didn't. I was making the bread as I was preparing for a friend to come over for a 'quilting bee', cleaning up the craft area, making a nice salad for lunch, quick bathroom checks, etc. The bread came out. I let it cool and sliced it. This is usually when I eat the ends-I like them no body else does-but I didn't, didn't have to fight myself (no, you don't need that you can have a piece with lunch-that sort of conversation with myself). I just didn't eat it. No drama, no in-fighting, just didn't eat it. Then I had a very small part of the end piece with some Kerrygold, with my lunch, and that was it. No going back, no sneaking another piece, no thought of it at all.

During the witching hour, nothing, no looking for sweets, no perusing the pantry, nothing. The same for after dinner.

Something is definitely different. I am not having to use sheer will power to stay away from a food. Something is very definitely different!

Fantastic!

I am more optimistic, that using the flavorless windows will help me to get where I need to be.

STATS:

Calories: 1478
          Carbs: 34
          Fat: 128
          Protein: 58
          Fiber: 9 Net Carbs: 25
          Sugar: 3

Result: 259.2 down .8

My Golden Rules:

1. Eat only when physically hungry
          2. Eat only what I really want
          3. Eat slowly, mindfully, consciously
          4. Stop when I am no longer hungry
          5. shots of tasteless oil in the middle of 2 hour flavorless time window

Sleep yesterday:
          overnight 5:18
          meditation :00, had company no time.

Thankfulness: RAIN! 2 days in a row, and maybe even again today, my landscape plants may actually survive, no hope for the fescue, but the expensive stuff ought to make it, and this may push DH to agree to me replacing the grass with an evergreen ground cover!
          Chris
          "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
          Unknown

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• What a fantastic accomplishment yesterday - hooray!
            -- Ruth

Comment

• Thanks. I read that the xylitol is supposed to cut down on cravings for sweets? I dunno, whatever, it worked yesterday.
              Chris
              Unknown

Comment

• I don't think I know what xylitol is?
                -- Ruth

Comment

• My N=1 experiment. 1. Cut way back on dairy and nightshades and -obviously- grains 2. take a flavorless shot of calories in the form of coconut oil or Olive oil in the middle of a 2 hour flavorless time span twice a day with a tsp of xylitol in a liter of water 3. take a 1 hour nap or listen to meditation

Yesterday... I feel like I am doing extremely well. I have totally stopped eating anything between meals, for 2 reasons...first the 2 hour flavorless window sort of knocks out a lot of time, and second, just not hungry or interested in eating a snack...yeah!

During the witching hour, nothing, no looking for sweets, no perusing the pantry, nothing. The same for after dinner.
                  I am not having to use sheer will power to stay away from a food.

Now the bad news...even though I am eating less (though not a lot less calorically), I am still essentially in maintenance, unfortunately it is about 100 pounds too heavy.

I will admit that I have not stopped to do my afternoon nap/meditation, so that may have an effect on the scale.

My optimism is waning.

STATS:

Calories: 1406
                  Carbs: 57 (i had a flatout wrap and a cup of watermelon)
                  Fat: 107
                  Protein: 76
                  Fiber: 18 Net Carbs: 39
                  Sugar: 15

Result: 259.6 up .4

My Golden Rules:

Sleep yesterday:
                  overnight 5:29
                  meditation :00, didn't feel tired so didn't think of it.

Thankfulness: Republic of Tea's Double Green Matcha Tea, I drink this every morning, this morning for some reason, it feels particularly good. I made it iced (which I do often), and it feels very healing today, like I am doing something good for myself.
                  Last edited by demuralist; 07-10-2012, 05:48 AM. Reason: math duh!
                  Chris
                  Unknown

Comment

• I am confused about the maintenance. Technically speaking, if you are eating less you should be losing.. or is that CW thinking.. The body is a complicated mess of chemistry and finding that fat burning zone is tough. I think the key to overcoming the maintenance faze is a lot of exercise (which I hate). For me, until that changes, my weight will not and this is what I am resigned to think.
                    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

Comment

• Actually my body does not seem to like calories in the 1400 area. Well, it doesn't lose weight there. Unless I am tracking something incorrectly, it seems to prefer the 1700 range.

Exercise doesn't work for me in weight loss (pretty sure the science backs me up on this), although when I was walking the treadmill every day, I felt better I did not lose any weight. I have done many things in my life to lose weight. When I was on WW I exercised like a fiend, weights (with trainer) and cardio (water aerobics-3 days a week with a movement concentration and 3 days a week with a flexibility concentration). In the course of 5 years I gained 20 pounds a year (pretty sure it was not muscle). When I stopped the gym but stayed with WW I lost 40 pounds in 4 years.
                      Chris
                      Unknown

Comment

• I think the body has a "sweet spot" for weight loss that changes as we get trimmer (though not linearly). Too little food and body uses all it can to just run itself (I don't know about starvation, per se, but more along the lines of enough enough to get through the day). Too much, and well, we know what happens.

I also firmly believe sleep, stress, etc. play a big role. I could be wrong, but I've experienced it for myself (although maybe I eat too much when I'm tired, stressed, etc., and then we're back to calories).

As far as exercise, I don't believe it's necessary for weight loss. In fact, too much, and it messes with the appetite. I workout to strengthen my body for things I enjoy - like hiking. I also use it to maintain muscle mass so that hopefully when I do lose, I'm not losing my hard-earned muscle Actually, I've been working out like a fiend during this period I've gained 15 pounds (though I believe a little bit of it was actually muscle -- unfortunately, I gained some fat on top of it).
                        -- Ruth

Comment

Yesterday...well, I would not call it a success. Through out the day I did very well, although I was not able to do my nap or meditation because I was away from the house. Then after dinner, and this is pretty rare for me, I usually do this pre dinner, I went looking for sweets. I made a cupcake in a mug (primal and pretty low carb), then had a 1/2 C of icecream with a tablespoon of chocolate chips.

I don't think my body wants to hover in the 1400 calorie range and when I hit that for a couple of days I seem to start to look for calories. I am going to keep a closer eye on this.

My optimism is waning, but my curiosity is peeked.

STATS:

Calories: 1955
                          Carbs: 86
                          Fat: 148
                          Protein: 68
                          Fiber: 22 Net Carbs: 64
                          Sugar: 45

Result: 259..2 down .4

My Golden Rules:

Sleep yesterday:
                          overnight 5:11
                          meditation :00, not home during the day

Thankfulness: my curly hair, because even when I think it looks like crap, I get compliments on it, and it looks like today is one of those days.
                          Chris
                          Unknown

Comment

• sorry I missed the question about xylitol, it is a sweetener, alcohol based that naturally occurs in some fruits and veggies. Science supports a variety of positive attributes to it (although I have not dug hard it could be that a maker of xylitol paid for the research).
                            Chris
                            Unknown

Comment

• I'm SO envious of your hair. It's gorgeous. [and, your figure, and your optimism]. I really enjoy you on the forums. You must be so must fun in person

Don't let the results discourage you. I think you have learned a ton. Perhaps you should finish out what you're doing for the week and then next week add one thing - and only one thing - to the mix and see what happens (I suggest the nap/meditation). You're laying a good foundation and just likely need one or two tweaks to start the losing process again.
                              -- Ruth

Comment

• Ruth, you are so sweet, and I think you are right. I am very close to a breakthrough, and it is probably best to tweak one thing at a time so I know what it was that worked, since I believe I will have to pretty much keep whatever it is up for the rest of my life.

I am sure we would have a lot of fun together! I am usually up for most anything.
                                Chris
                                Unknown

Comment

Working...
                                X