Monty's Quest for the Holy Grail (ABS!)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whole 30 Day 7: Rest Day

Although today was a rest day, I played around with my paralletes. Doing some L-sits and working on pressing up to a hand stand, but in a tucked position. Kids had fun on them too.

Today was our office "pizza day" that we do every two weeks right before pay day. We went to a burger joint where everything is smothered in cheesey goodness and they have sweet potato fries and a maple butter dipping sauce. Those are hard to resist.

Meal 1 (noon): Salad with tomatoes, sliced almonds and raisins. Got back to the office and had some pulled pork.
    Meal 2 (4 pm): 1 small apple
    Meal 3 (6 pm): Haddock sauteed in coconut oil and seasoned with old bay, roasted broccoli and garlic, and a salad.
    Meal 4 (7:30 pm): Rest of haddock/broccoli and some toasted almonds.

I love fish, but it just doesn't keep me full long. Today was a grazing day. I think I was grazing since I got home, or at least I felt that way. Looking more lean in the mirror. Especially right before bed, which seems to be the worst time for me...usually a little more flabby then. I can see a change just below my chest and in the obliqe area (love handles).
    My weak attempt at a journal:http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread35809.html

M/30y/190#

Comment

Whole 30 Day 8: Chest/Pull ups

Not much to report. 8 days in and I think the only thing I'm really missing is butter. Other than that, its been pretty easy.

Meal 1 (noon):Pulled pork and salad.

Meal 2 (6 pm):12 baked chicken wings in hot sauce, mashed sweet potatoes with coconut oil and salad.

Meal 3 (8 pm):Another 10 chicken wings in hot sauce and some toasted almonds.

Workout (4:30 pm)
      Bench Press: 1x10 @ 135#; 1x5 @ 185#; 1x3 @ 205; 2x2 @ 215; 1x2 @ 220; 1x2 @ 225

Pull ups: 10 @ BW; 8 @ BW; 5 @ BW+20#; 3 @ BW+25#; 3 @ BW+30#; 3 @ BW + 35#
      My weak attempt at a journal:http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread35809.html

M/30y/190#

Comment

Whole 30 Day 9: ?

Can't remember what the hell happened. I know I went shopping after work. Got some thin steaks that I'm going to use to make jerky. Got a dehydrator earlier in the week.

Meal 1 (noon):Pulled pork and salad.

Meal 2 (7 pm):Home made onion rings and grilled burgers.

After that, just snacked on some nuts. No workout.

M/30y/190#

Comment

Whole 30 Day 10: Roofing

Went to my brother-in-laws to help with his steel roof. Learned a lot. Mine is due, but hopefully it can make it until next spring when we're going to do steel too.

Meal 1 (9 am):Bacon and eggs
          Meal 2 (noon):Steak and salad and some hot dogs
          Meal 3 (7 pm):Salad and pulled pork. Thank god that pork is gone. I've had my fill of it.

May have broken my whole 30 with the dogs. 2 days later and I have some achy joints (elbow). Not sure what was in there. But they were out of steak and I was still hungry. Roofing will do that to ya.

M/30y/190#

Comment

Whole 30 Day 11: Whole lot of everything

Occasionally, I get overwhelmed with what I have to do around the house. I went and got drywall for the laundry room cause we have a new tankless waterheater coming and I need to get that started. On a good note, all 3 pieces of drywall fit perfectly in my minivan. Just removed one middle seat and they fit perfect from front to back. Probably could fit 6 total in there. For those of you that hate minivans, I love mine. Can fit tons of shit in there, but I still need a truck.

Next, our pop up pool was just sitting in the back yard with about 2 inches of water in it, so I cleaned that and put that away.

Then I started burning some branches from some pine trees I cut down earlier this summer.

Then I hung another storm door on the back door for the garage. That makes 3.

Weekends are quickly filling up and things need to get done for winter. So, yesterday, I was a huge douche.

Meal 1 (9 am): Bacon and an onion/spinach/mushroom omlet.
            Meal 2 (noon): Salad with grilled chicken.
            Meal 3 (7 pm): Spaghetti and Meatballs: Meatball (burger and sausage) with sauteed zucchini (noodles) and home made sauce.

Made kids some scrambled eggs. My son, who only wants toast in the mornings, devoured 2 bowls of eggs and wanted more, but we were out of eggs. Gotta break him of that toast but I am glad he likes eggs, again. My daughter is a bacon eating machine. She had 3 pieces and wanted more, but I had already ate the rest. Sorry punkin.

Wife was canning tomatoes all day. I love love love fresh sauce. So much better than store bought and tastes "sweet" without anything being added.

M/30y/190#

Comment

Whole 30 Day 12: Nothing again

Meal 1 (noon): Left over zucchini spaghetti and meatballs.
              Meal 2 (4:30 pm): BAS with chicken breast. Salad had cukes, tomatoes, shredded carrots, avocados and green olives.
              Meal 3 (7:30 pm): 3 pieces of bacon and 2 scrambled eggs and an apple.
              Meal 4 (9 pm) Fried up some plantains in coconut oil and sprinkled some cinnamon on top. Pretty tasty. Definitely something for the ol' sweet tooth.

Looking more lean in the mirror, especially right before bed. That's usually when I look the puffiest. Played around with my paralletes and I can see more definition in my chest and shoulders in an L-sit, then I tuck into a push up position without my feet touching the ground do a couple push ups, and right back into an L-sit. L-sits are tough, especially when your hammy's and back are tight. Need to do some stretching.

M/30y/190#

Comment

Its cool that so many people want to take on the primal 30 day challenge and decide to document their progress in the journal section, but what a pain in the ass to look thru 10 pages of journals to find mine. Good luck to all. Stick with it. Give it time. You will be successful.

M/30y/190#

Comment

Sad news for Sparticus Fans Andy Whitfield Dead: 'Spartacus' Star Dies Of Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma

Looks like season 3 is all set to go. Can't wait, but saddened by the fact Whitfield cannot play sparticus.

M/30y/190#

Comment

Whole 30 Day 13: Lawn Mowing and Burning Shit

Mowed the front lawn. I can't wait to get my riding lawn mower. I like the exercise I get from push mowing, but I am crunched for time every time I need to mow.

Fire rules. Burnt some more brush last night. I picked up this empty keg at the beginning of summer for $7 and kinda forgot about it. Well, last night I did some overhead keg throws...highland style. Even empty, it takes a lot of oomph to get one of those suckers airborne.

Meal 1 (11:30 am): BAS with Chicken
                    Meal 2 (6 pm): Steak, BAS and roasted broccoli/garlic
                    Meal 3 (8 pm): Bacon and the rest of my plantain chips. These are better about 1-2 days after frying up.

Made some jerky using these thin flank steaks I got from Wegmans. I did the jerky recipe on MDA recipe site and boiled the meat first. Only took 2.5 hours in the dehydrator. Success! I had a few strips of that before bed.

M/30y/190#

Comment

My one year primal anniversary is next month (10/12/2011). I'm going to extend the whole 30 to at least that date. So, it will be a whole 42. I was pondering extending it to my 31st birthday (11/16/2011). I just may. Whole 77. I can't make all of the holidays/hunting season without alcohol and pies...ummm...pies....

M/30y/190#

Comment

Whole 30 Day 14: Lawn Mowing

Mowed the back lawn last night. Nothing else. Was a little chilly last night and all that walking kicked my ass. I was so tired, but that's probably cause I've been getting to bed late. But, with the day light hours getting shorter, I find myself getting tired earlier, usually 2 hours after sundown.

Meal 1 (6:30 am): Can of coconut milk. I had to drive to Rochester today and I was absolutely starving. This held me over very well.
                        Meal 2 (noon): BAS and left over steak (about 1/2#).
                        Meal 3 (5 pm): Breakfast for dinner. Scrambled eggs, tons of bacon and sweet potato hash browns.

I must be undereating a ton cause I'm always hungry. This happens when I try the 16/8 IF. I must must must start devouring more fat in my diet. I can tell that is where I am lacking. I got some good high cal/high fat soup and tapioca recipes from the whole9life web site. I just got to get off my lazy ass and start cooking.

M/30y/190#

Comment

Whole 30 Day 15: Crossfit Football Day 1 with no cookies

Well, I knew I would get bored sooner or later with my workout schedule. I always liked crossfit, but sometimes it can be just too much. However, I feel I haven't been doing enough lately. I'm going to follow the Crossfit Football web site and schedule. We'll see how long that lasts.

These 16/8 IF days are getting rough. I'm thinking I have to stop. I am starving at about 8 am, just after I get to work. I think the IFs may be good once in a while for a few days at a time, but sooner or later, I think the benefits wear off and I start feeling like shit, especially in the afternoons.

Meal 1 (11:30 am): BAS with grilled chicken. Some left over roasted broccoli and garlic.
                          Meal 2 (3:30 pm): Can of coconut milk (gag...almost threw up. Good once in a while, not daily)
                          Meal 3 (5:30 pm): Cottage/Shepards Pie. This was fan-freking-tastic. I will definitely make this again. It consisted of chopped onions, mushrooms and garlic, sliced carrots, worcestershire sauce (with no bad stuff in it), peas, chorizo and some molested beef. I say molested because it probably was due to the fact it is conventional farmed meat. And topped with boiled sweet potatoes. Cook everything up, bake, broil, serve, rub all over yourself...only after it cools. Otherwise you'll end up with burn marks all over you unmentionables.

My new favorite web site for recipes: Modern Paleo Warfare. These guys are hilarious and make some manly food.

Workout from CFFB was:
                          SWOD (Strength WOD):
                          Deadlift 3@80% 1 rm (240#); 3@85% 1 rm (255#); 3 @ 95% 1rm (275#). Warm up sets were 5@135# and 3@205#.
                          Shoulder Press 3,3,3,3,3 (all at 115#)
                          DWOD (Daily WOD): Sprint 110 yds every minute on the minute for 10 minutes.

Right now, my deadlift max is only around 300# for a couple of reasons. first, my grip sucks. I have some pretty small hands and my grip has always been weak. Secondly, all I have is 300# worth of weight. But I could really care less about deadlifting more than that right now.

Sprints were brutal. Averaged about 17 to 20 seconds per sprint. 40 sec of rest is not easy, but that's football for ya. Not sure if I did 110 yds. I got to measure my back yard. I'm pretty sure I only managed around 90 yds. Plus, running in the cold hurts the lungs. It was pretty chilly here last night, down around 50, maybe less.
                          Last edited by Monty; 09-16-2011, 06:32 AM.

M/30y/190#

Comment

The wife made cookies on day 15. Almond flour chocolate chip cookies. Surprisingly, not hard to resist.

M/30y/190#

Comment

Whole 30 Day 16: CFFB

Hung some drywall for the new water heater/laundry room. Can't wait to get that looking nice.

Meal 1 (10 am): Left over shepards pie. I was so hungry. Going to ditch the daily 16/8 IF. Will do intermittently.
                              Meal 2 (3 pm): Charizo sausage and 4 eggs.
                              Meal 3 (?): can't remember.

Workout was
                              Power Snatch: 2,2,2,2,2
                              Power Clean: 3,3,3,3,3
                              Then, 5 rds at 70% max power snatch
                              Snatch Pull, 2 reps
                              Power Snatch, 2 reps
                              Snatch Press, 2 reps

I can't remember the snatch amounts, but I know I used about 70# for the second part of the work out. I love doing oly style lifts, but they often leave me injured/with a pain somewhere. Today, it was my knee. I really need to re-evaluate my goals.
                              Last edited by Monty; 09-19-2011, 07:02 AM.

M/30y/190#

Comment

Whole 30 Day 17: Holy Apples Batman

Meal 1 (9 am): Bacon and eggs for breakfast.
                                Meal 2 (1 pm): Made some mayo from everydaypaleo.com. Then added that to some tuna with avocado and tomatoes and eaten on lettuce leaves.
                                Meal 3 (3 pm): We went apple picking. So, I probably ate around 3 apples. Nothing beats a fresh picked apple.
                                Meal 4 (7 pm): Pork loin, roasted broccoli and garlic, mashed sweet potatoes and salad. What a feast.

M/30y/190#

Comment

Working...
                                X