No announcement yet.

Primal Journal - Grok in Japan (JPGrok)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More thunderstorms mixed with sunny weather today. Missed the sun but still got plenty of time outside, loads of exercise. Felt groggy and had belly ache this morning, caused by the beer and salty food?

Breakfast: Wasn't too hungry this morning so just had a small bowl of blueberries and half an apple.

8:00: Walked to my associates' office for a Sunday morning meeting (sigh) and back again, had to call into my office for an hour to follow up a meeting I had yesterday. The pleasure of working for oneself!

10:30 Came back hungry so had a plain 2 egg omelette cooked in coconut oil.

11:30 Went out with the family (wife, 2 year old and 2 month old) to do the lake circuit. Carried the 2 year for about half the way round. Good gentle exercise, narrowly missed a downpour. Came back and did my push ups/pull ups:

Push ups: 60 (20/15/10/10/5) Will hit 65 next time.
    Pull ups: 23 (7/5/4/4/3) Not quite the 25 I aimed for but I'll get there next time.

Lunch: Tried to make primal fried chicken by using almond powder and egg then deep frying. Disaster! All the batter fell off and the chicken went dry. Still ate it though, with lots of cabbage, spinach and red bell pepper.

Afternoon: Weather cleared up so went outside and played football (soccer) for about an hour. Carried the trash to the station (about 500 metres) and ran back home. Also did some light sprints to test my right leg which felt fine.

Dinner: Made a very tasty beef stew: fine cut beef fried off in butter with garlic and spicy spring onions, stewed in chopped tomatoes with aubergine (eggplant) and mushrooms. Added lots of paprika, some spice and other seasonings. Topped off with fresh parmesan.

Snacks: Did lots of exercise so was hungry throughout the day: plenty of nuts, a few pieces of 86% and a kiwi fruit.

Tomorrow: not sure yet, I'll see how I feel. Squats if I have the energy, a walk after work if I don't. Nothing if I feel I need a rest.

It's weird always being first to finish the weekend due to the time difference (apart from my Aussie friends). All the other people I know here will still be enjoying a relaxing Sunday afternoon whilst I'm asleep. Looking forward to seeing your updates when I wake up.
    Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it. - Ferris Bueller

JpGrok Journal

Comment

I know what you mean about the time difference. I spent five weeks in Tokyo one summer and had a tough time adjusting.

I love reading about your day. Sounds like you are dialing it in pretty well.
      Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Beautiful day here - really love this time of year: warm sunny, not so humid and clear skies. We also get some great clouds too as the colder air mass from Siberia starts to flows up above.

Breakfast: 3 egg omelette, plain with a little salt. We found a new free range organic farm and had some eggs delivered a couple of days ago so wanted to taste the eggs - delicious. Big fat yolks too. Yum. Will try them with some spring onions and peppers tomorrow. Had some nuts too.

Post breakfast: sat in the sun reading a magazine for 30 minutes. The sun was still low in the sky but it was nice to take it in. After all my sun exposure this summer, I'm still about as white as a man can be: thanks north European genes! Even my half-Japanese little boy has a better tan than me!

Lunch: Chicken salad: spinach, red bell peppers, tomatoes. Dressed in avocado oil.

After work: Outside for 30 minutes in the fading sun. Did a series of short sprints and reflex work with a tennis ball against a wall. Followed by a cool/cold shower. Brrr.

Dinner: Double beef extravaganza: 8 oz skirt flank and 4 oz sirloin with a good dose of fresh veggies. Followed by a small bowl of Brazil nuts and walnuts plus a sneaky block of 76% (must have bought this by accident - looks identical to the 86%). I'm still hungry so no doubt I'll have a small Grok supper before bed.

Couldn't resist the scales today and found out I broke the 18% fat mark! Now at 17.9%. This was a small goal I'd been looking forward for a week or so. 15% is getting closer every day! Weight still not increasing too much but happy to take it one goal at a time.

Tomorrow: Squats methinks. 5 sets at 60 kg (132 lbs). Will need plenty of warm up as I found the last three sets much easier than the first two last time. Will also do 5 sets of hanging leg raises to brutalise my abs.

Would love to make some more friends here - anyone else reading this let me know!
        Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it. - Ferris Bueller

JpGrok Journal

Comment

Congrats on busting the 18% mark. That's excellent motivation in itself particularly after my own set back.

I'm reading with a degree of fascination. Japan is a country I'd love to visit one day.
          Our own life is the instrument with which we experiment with the truth.

Comment

Thanks DP, next mini goal is cracking 17%! I haven't had body fat this low for years and years. I still have a disproportionate chunk of fat around my belly though - I blame the beer for that.

Cloudy and rainy today, no real sun exposure.

Breakfast: Remembered we had a new delivery of good bacon so fried up two pans' worth and made some scrambled eggs too. Side of spinach with avocado oil.

7:45 Walked to work for an early meeting, just over 2 kms and slightly uphill.

Lunch: Ate out at a restaurant chosen by someone else, avoided the rice and tried to order primal but ended up with battered chicken (fish 'n' chips style) and a kind of potato baked cake thing. Came with a big salad and vegetables so I doubt my blood sugar rose too much. Plenty of bad oil and flour though - not bad but you can only do your best.

Late afternoon: Came home early from work and warmed up outside for 15 minutes before hitting the weights:

Squats: 60 kg (132 lbs): 5/5/5/5/5 Strangely I found these easy even though I found last week's 55 kg quite difficult - perhaps the lengthier warm up did the trick. Feel confident to go for 65 kg (143 lbs) next week. Eventually, I'd like to be squatting closer to 250 lbs but one step at a time.

Leg raises: 10/10/10 Trust me, this was enough. My abs are still twitching a little.

Drank a one-scoop protein shake after this 'cause I was hungry.

Dinner: The lovely wife made a chicken tomato stew with fresh organic tomatoes which tasted divine. It was full of beans and not much chicken so I added a can of tuna with some coconut oil. She ate my beans for me.

I was hungry all day today, possibly a sign that I need more energy to increase the muscle mass to keep up with lifting heavy things. In addition to the above I ate a big bowl of mixed nuts at home, a small bag of cashews at work, two blocks of 76%, a chunk of cheese and a kiwi fruit. Still hungry now but have run out of things I fancy eating - might have to cook some more eggs before bed.

Tomorrow: Sprints I think. Will aim for 100m x 8 and might head out to the local football field to run on a flat surface, I'm a bit tired of the pot holes at the back of my house.

JpGrok Journal

Comment

As far as being hungry all day, what about keeping easily consumed protein, such as jerky, around? When I have a long hike, consuming jerky, almonds, cheese and dried fruit keeps me totally satisfied no matter the distance. If you look, its mostly protein with some simple sugars from the fruit.

When I have a high protein meal or snack I am not hungry for a long time after that.

Comment

HB - I wish we could find good jerky here: it's all full of chemical preservatives and flavourings, including the imported stuff. We do get dried squid and fish here though which is not so bad - they only added ingredient is salt but it makes me so thirsty. I wonder how difficult it is to make your own jerky?

JpGrok Journal

Comment

Hey, nice log! I'm nissei so it's fun to read about someone in the Motherland. I've been wondering what goes into Japanese chickens that makes their egg yolks such a deep orange.

Jerky is pretty easy to make (lean meat, brine, airflow), but I wonder how well it would work with Japanese humidity. I use a dehydrator on the lowest setting. Alton Brown dehydrates with A/C filters + box fan + bungee cord.
                  Cooking Primal with Otter - Journal
                  Otter's (Defunct) Primal Log
                  "Not baked goods, Professor, baked bads!" ~ The Tick

Comment

You can also use an oven on the lowest setting to dehydrate your jerky.
                    Speaking of jerky, I have had beef and turkey jerky and just today tried a barbeque pork jerky. I have found my new favorite!!

Comment

Thanks for the good ideas about jerky - I will be giving this a try soon! I had some dried fish in the office today and my staff asked me to put it away!

ottercat: I think Japanese chicken eggs are orange due to artificial colourings in their feed *sigh* - the organic ones we buy are pale.

It was hot again today with a few thunderclouds, hoping for more sun before the autumn comes.

Breakfast: 3 egg omelette with paprika, butter, chilli pepper and some nuts.

Mid morning: came home to catch some sun and sprint, did 8 x 80 metres on the loose gravel road leading to my house. No problems with my right quad although it was a little tight. When I first started the sprints it would take me 5-10 minutes to recover and I would get shaky legs. After 2 minutes I was fine today and no shaky legs at all - it seems I am getting fitter. I had a protein shake after.

Lunch: Had 300 grams (10 ounces) of beef shoulder rib with an enormous salad (tomatoes, lettuce, mozzarella, dill pickle, olive oil). I was still hungry so ate some nuts and a chunk of cheddar cheese.

Afternoon: Work, work, work. Boo. Stressful meetings about cash flow problems (not my company thankfully but a business partner's).

Dinner: Cooked up a big pork joint with herbs and another big salad. Also made an awesome dessert - we froze some of the organic blueberries we bought recently and I poured fresh cream on the frozen blueberries and mixed them. The cream froze on the blueberries so I had frozen cream berries. Awesomeness. I'm still hungry though - I can't seem to get full at the moment so I'll have some more Grok goodness before bed.

I have also ordered some Vivo Barefoot shoes from the UK (strong yen and weak pound is a good mix) so looking forward to their arrival. Still haven't heard form the shop though...

Tomorrow: Deadlift (going for 115 kg/254 lbs), bent over rows (60 kg/132 lbs for 5 x 5) and bench press (time to break the 50 kg/110 lbs for 5 x 5). Ultimate goals for deadlift: 160 kg/350 lbs, bench: 90kg/200 lbs.

JpGrok Journal

Comment

Still no word from the shop about my shoes - living in Japan you get used to immaculate customer service, I wonder if 3 days after an order is enough to raise an issue with them.

Woken up by an energetic 2 year old at 5:00 so everything was a couple of hours early today.

Breakfast: 2 egg omelette, salad with olive oil dressing, walnuts and a kiwi fruit.

8:00: Lift heavy things:
                        Deadlift: 115 kg/253 lbs x 4 (My back and legs were fine but my wrist hurt, I lost momentum so stopped at 4, will do 5 next week. I'm pretty sure this is a PB for me.)
                        Bent over rows: 60 kg/ 132 lbs 5/5/5, added 5 kg/11 lbs and did another 5. Will start with 65 kg next time
                        Bench press: 50 kg/110 lbs 5/5/5/5/5 Nailed this and it felt light. Will increase by a couple kg next time.
                        Followed by a protein shake

Mid morning: Ate a big handful of macadamia nuts/walnuts/86%

Lunch: Ate out with a client, had a big salad of fresh, local produce, skipped the bread and had a delicious, if not small, tenderloin steak. Skipped dessert too.

Mid afternoon: Just couldn't fill my belly today so ate left over chilli con carne minus the beans, left over pork roast from yesterday, some cheese, more nuts, chocolate, a protein shake and some watermelon. Usually I get full easily so not sure what's going on. Hope all this food is building muscle and not replacing fat.

Dinner: Aussie fillet steak (more beef!) with salad followed by frozen blueberries and cream. Finally full.

Tomorrow: I'll either relax or go for a walk, muscles are a bit tight so might do some yoga. I've never done yoga before so if anyone has any tips please let me know.

JpGrok Journal

Comment

Friday weigh in

Body weight: 77.8 kg (171.5 lbs) -> 77.6 kg (171.0 lbs) GOAL: 85 kg (190 lbs)
                          Body fat: 18.0% -> 17.7% GOAL: 15%

Lean body mass: 63.8 kg (140.5 lbs) -> 63.9 kg (141 lbs) increase of 0.1 kg (0.25 lb)

Considering I ate a lot more this week than last, I'm surprised at the results, I thought I would have increased in weight and possibly fat too. I don't feel particularly leaner this week as I have in the last two. According to the scales I've increased my lean mass by a measly 100 grams but reduced fat by 0.3% (250 grams), at least I'm still going in the right direction.

Distance left to 1st goal. Weight: +18.7 pounds to go. Body fat: -2.7% to go.

I'm realising that the electrical impedance scales are an increasingly poor method of measuring body fat. I have found that my body fat measurements drop significantly following exercise and then rise again as I cool down. Bizarre. On Wednesday, I was as low as 17.4% body fat and yesterday I was up to 19.5%. Still, measuring at the same time each Friday gives me the only way of keeping things constant.

Things I did differently this week:
                          - I stopped taking my omega-3 oils (I will go back to 6 a day)
                          - Drank more protein shakes (I will reduce to only after heavy weights)
                          - Ate more nuts/less fruit (I will aim for more protein/fruit)

JpGrok Journal

Comment

We use a dehydrator to make our own biltong (South African Jerky) It is so easy to do and you know exactly what is in it.

Body fat measurement can vary a lot depending on when you measure. Take a look at page 20-21 of this for an idea http://ec1.images-amazon.com/media/i...L000029901.pdf
                            Became Primal August 2011

SW - 84kg / 185lb
                            CW - 60kg / 132lb
                            GW - 60kg / 132lb

Comment

Originally posted by Athanasey View Post
                              Body fat measurement can vary a lot depending on when you measure. Take a look at page 20-21 of this for an idea http://ec1.images-amazon.com/media/i...L000029901.pdf
                              Thanks Athanasey, interesting read, and it pretty much confirmed what I had discovered. On Fridays I usually weigh myself after I've been outside playing with a soccer ball or running around: this might explain why my readings are a little lower than normal because my blood circulation is increased.
                              I'll try to stay within the "2 hours after lunch" period from now on.

JpGrok Journal

Comment

Rainy morning and sunny afternoon. Beautiful sunset and clouds on the mountains.

Breakfast: 3 egg omelette with fresh basil, flax seed oil, cream and a pinch of salt. Yum. Also had a couple of small sausages.

8:00 Walked to walk, 2.5 km slightly uphill

13:00 Came home and sat in the sun reading Robb Wolf's Primal Solution for 30 mins. Compelling stuff; it convinces me that we are all doing the right thing on this site. Messed around with a tennis ball for a while - not killer exercise but my heart rate was a little elevated.

13:30 Friday weigh-in

14:00 Lunch: 300 grams (10 oz) of Aussie beef with a fresh salad (lettuce, yellow bell pepper, tomatoes, dill pickles, parmesan cheese, macadamia oil and balsamic vinegar.) More yum. Couple of small pieces of 72% chocolate the wife bought: it tasted sweet - I definitely prefer the 86%.

16:30 Went outside with my boy and took a stroll down to the main road and back (about 600 metres or so)

Dinner: Revenge of the primal fried chicken. This time it worked! Small chunks of chicken thigh coated in almond powder and shallow fried in coconut oil with another very similar salad. Another couple of small pieces of 72%

It's a little disappointing to discover I have been inadvertently "cheating" by weighing my body fat immediately after exercise. I'm hoping it won't have too much of an effect on next week's weigh in when I'm rested. In truth, I don't feel much leaner this week - I felt much better in the previous two weeks. Still, I'm guessing this is a blip so will continue apace and see how things go next week.

Still no word from the shoe shop so I have filed a dispute with PayPal <sigh>

JpGrok Journal

Comment

Working...
                                X