No announcement yet.

Primal Journal - Grok in Japan (JPGrok)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There are two types of LDL cholesterol. Type A is fat and fluffy and not a problem. Type B is the problem child. See if you can find the cholesterol primer thread. It explains it thoroughly. You may be just fine.
    Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

• HB - thanks for that - it seems my TG/HDL ratio suggests I mainly have the A pattern LDL which are the fluffy kind. Good news! Chris Kresser has an excellent page about cholesterol here. Part of his post states...
      ...But for crying out loud, if you’re going to get your lipds tested at least pay attention to the right numbers. And the most important number on a conventional lipid panel is the relationship between triglycerides and HDL. (Divide triglyercids by HDL to get it.) If that number is less than 2, this suggests you have mostly large, buoyant LDL – which is not a risk factor for heart disease. If that number is higher than 3, it suggests you have mostly small, dense LDL – which most certainly is a risk factor for heart disease...
      I had a long weekend away without a computer which was great. Worked out on Friday and again today and I'm starting to feel stronger and more focused in the gym. The daily meditation is making a big difference but more about that later.

We scavenged well over the weekend, free range eggs, tomato-stew meatballs, fresh mackerel, salads, although there were a few cheats too - a 350 ml glass of cold beer and some fried chicken. On Saturday night, we had the in-laws look after the older boy and went out to a yakiniku (grilled meat) restaurant. These are amazing - you order plates of raw meat and cook them yourself over a charcoal grill on the table. Yes please to beef flank, rump, cheek (amazing!), lamb, pork belly and a big bowl of kimchee.

I've put my addictive scales in the gym so I only weigh myself before I work out. Today I broke a new record for the scales:
      78.2 kg (172.5 lbs) at 16.9% body fat. Lean body mass of 65 kg.

As for the meditation - it is the best thing I have done since going primal. The book I am reading is called Advanced Yoga Practices - Easy Lessons for Ecstatic Living by Yogani. The kindle version is less than $8 and worth every penny. It suggests to meditate twice a day for 20 minutes and the difference is amazing - my mind is much quieter and things bother me much less. I find myself caring for others more and having much more focus for work, study, play and the gym. I'll keep you posted on the journey but the first few days have been excellent - check it out yourself.

Two weeks before Thailand and I'm getting pretty excited.

Hope you all had (are having?) a great weekend.

JP
      Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it. - Ferris Bueller

JpGrok Journal

Comment

• Another busy day at work - cold, grey and windy.

Breakfast: 4 jumbo eggs, butter, 3 rashers of bacon, salad
        Lunch: Chicken tenderloins slowly fried in the bacon fat, olives, salad, pine nuts, cream sauce
        Dinner: Pork meatballs in tomato stew. 12 large meatballs with added coconut cream for calories - a huge dinner

Felt great this morning but a little sleepy in the afternoon. A big package of shorts and T-shirts arrived from the States and everything fits! I can't wait for Thailand.

Tomorrow: I'll try to get a walk or sprints in. More heavy weights on Wednesday.
        Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it. - Ferris Bueller

JpGrok Journal

Comment

• More rain, cold and grey. Snow on the mountains. Brrr.

Breakfast: Leftover meatballs - enough to feed 2 people
          Lunch: Some great low-salt, no-crap sausages with a salad
          Dinner: Salmon cakes wrapped in bacon. Ate all the planned leftovers too - just can't control my appetite at the moment, I ate 10 of these things and probably about a pound of fish and bacon. Also had a big bowl of yoghurt and blueberries for dessert with a piece of 86%.

I'm still meditating daily although finding myself more fidgety and less calm than the first couple of days. Still, I'm in a much better mental state every day so I'll keep going.

Just finalised a quote for a big property management job - fingers crossed for this one. Also contracted on a big systems upgrade that will be ongoing until March - it'll make all of our work SO much easier when it's done. More time for being primal.

I decided to bring the weights forward. Squats, OHP and Deadlifts. Starting to get fairly heavy so workouts are a challenge again. Good stuff.

Tomorrow - busy day. I'll try to get some exercise somewhere.

JpGrok Journal

Comment

• Amazing sun and autumn colours today, spent some time walking around looking at land and then most of the afternoon in the office.

Breakfast: 5 jumbo eggs, 3 rashers of bacon, salad with avocado oil
            Lunch: Big plate of fried pork with coconut cream and Chinese radish
            Dinner: Stewed beef, nuts, a few blocks of chocolate, some sausage, 2 kiwi fruits and some jerky. And I'm still hungry.

We are currently in the stink-bug season here as they try to find a warm place to winter up. Spent an hour or so sweeping the things out of my porch and garage. For the ones inside, I made an ingenious trap out of a PET bottle so they fall in but can't get back out and spray me. Roll on the first few frosts to wipe them out.

While I was down in the basement I tried a few pull ups and did ten pull ups from straight arms with strict form right off the bat. For those keeping track, this is a PR and a goal I've been looking forward to for ages. Seems like that big appetite has been adding muscles somewhere.

Tomorrow: If I'm back in time, I'll try to get in the gym after work. The weights are starting to get heavy now so need more focus than I can give in a morning session.

JpGrok Journal

Comment

• Autumn continues apace here and I changed to winter tyres yesterday, not long until snow and ice. The stink bugs have decided that our house is the place to be this winter and I have been waging a war for nearly a week. I think we have nearly come to the end of it.

The workouts are getting harder and my legs were sore yesterday. I'm getting stronger though which is great. I must remember to keep eating lots to keep up with things.

Yesterday was an unplanned semi-fast day. Today I will eat a lot more.

Have a great weekend all.

JpGrok Journal

Comment

• Well, I fell off the radar for a few days - I hope you didn't miss me.

Still been 95% primal and in the gym just busy at work and looking after two little boys. I've noticed a slight return of flab around my belly and wonder whether stress is the real cause of fat gain as my diet has been very good and I'm still exercising.

Breakfast: Leftover steak, salad
                Lunch: Big bowl of tuna salad, two eggs, nuts (this was not enough food as I was hungry again at 4 ish)
                Dinner: 400 grams (14 oz) of pork belly stewed with daikon, pumpkin and more eggs

Strained my back a little in the gym yesterday but it's not too bad. Squats are up to 70 kg next workout and starting to feel pretty heavy.

Only a few days until Thailand. Sun, sea and MovNat.

JpGrok Journal

Comment

• Hope you're having a great time at MovNat!
                  Cooking Primal with Otter - Journal
                  Otter's (Defunct) Primal Log
                  "Not baked goods, Professor, baked bads!" ~ The Tick

Comment

• And... I'm back.

The MovNat Thailand 7-day retreat was everything I thought it would be. We learnt how to walk, run, crawl, balance, swim, lift, fight, dive, carry and throw all at the beach and jungle in southern Thailand. The biggest point was relearning all the movements that we learn as children. Relearning how to run properly (and barefoot), how to swim efficiently, how to balance, breathe, and a hundred other things too detailed to post here. Truly fantastic stuff and totally scalable to real life. A life-changing experience and one that has me seriously questioning my current lifestyle and work.

Vic was an excellent teacher; very patient with the ability to tailor any exercise to various levels of ability. The place in Thailand was also perfect for the course - amazing paleo food, beach on the doorstep and hot sunny weather.

In my post MovNat trip to Malaysia I struggled to find good paleo food and was tempted into a few drinks and other non-paleo indulgences. When I came back to Japan I was still 3% lower body fat at around the same weight. Pretty impressive stuff.

After three days of "normal" food, I caught a killer cold and have spent three days recovering at home. It really is amazing how quickly sugar, crap fats and alcohol can reduce your immunity to such a mess.

I'm not really enjoying the below freezing temperatures and sleet/snow in Japan after the amazing weather in Thailand and trying hard to recover from this damn cold. On a plus note however, I went out and bought a load of beef and pork belly to make stews later this week.

I've missed everyone's updates - looking forward to seeing how you all are.

JP

JpGrok Journal

Comment

• Welcome back!
                      Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

• Sounds like a wonderful trip!
                        Cooking Primal with Otter - Journal
                        Otter's (Defunct) Primal Log
                        "Not baked goods, Professor, baked bads!" ~ The Tick

Comment

• Just a quick update. We're well into the swing of winter here and my companies are keeping me very busy. I'm still very much primal although add the odd sweet potato, apple, protein shake and glass of wine into the mix without too much worry (although I'm still sure I would be better off without the alcohol). I take vitamin D supplements and probiotics daily.

My weight has stabilized at around 78 kg (172 lbs) and my body fat was 17.5% the last time I measured it. I'm quite a lot stronger but don't look too much bigger.

I'm still weight training three times a week. Current stats at 5 reps/5 sets:

Squat: 87.5 kg (193 lbs)
                          Deadlift: 110 kg (242 lbs)
                          Bench: 57.5 kg (127 lbs)
                          OHP: 37.5 kg (83 lbs)
                          Rows: 60 kg (132 lbs)

To all of you reading this journal, have a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!!

JP

JpGrok Journal

Comment

Working...
                          X