No announcement yet.

The Journey begins with me

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The flour was rice flour. I also have coconut flour but its, ya know coconut. A little goes a ginormous way. I have not tried arrowroot. Does it act the same way as other flour? Potatoes are gf (Thank God). I had forgotten about quinoa. I used to eat that a lot back in my vegetarian days and my WW days with their more natural program. Quinoa would have been awesome in that dish last night! Thanks for the reminder, i need to put it on the grocery list.

Had leftovers this morning.. I love left overs when its a tasty dish

Sent from my iPad using Marks Daily Apple Forum
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

Comment

• The Journey begins with me

Arrowroot is one of the things I sub out for corn starch in thickening things. I don't know if it would work as a straight roux but could be added at the end to thicken. I think it doesn't like to boil, I usually Google just before I use it to make sure it works. It is also an ingredient that gets added to homemade gf baked goods.

I am just starting to play with coconut flour but I would think that very little would be required to make a sauce very thick.
      Chris
      "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
      Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• Lately my 500 calorie fast days are 1200 to 1500 calories. So maybe the trick for you is to shoot for 500 and you will hit your higher target.
        Chris
        "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
        Unknown

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• WOW.. crazy days lately. Had to grab breakfast yesterday and cheese was snuck in it.. yup.. hit me and had me running. Other than that, my tummy has been better. I have not had gluten, dairy or tomatoes (yup- I think those are bad but have yet to determine how much is bad) There were a few in my breakfast but a little salsa later in the day did not seem to have an affect. However, marinara sauce was a very ugly story.

I made some flat bread with rice flour that was amazing. Making it is not hard but a little time consuming so it will not be made frequently. However, after going to a colleagues house for lunch the other day I brought it as she was serving rolls with soup. Perfect as well as the gluten free brownies. These are once in a while treats as I am happy with my chicken etc., potatoes, salads and veggies.
          Karin

Comment

• Hauled hay to set up the hale bales garden. Yup.. 20 huge bales later... lol
            Karin

Comment

• sweet, good to see you are dialing in the foods that cause you issues.

Congrats on the hay hauling, can't wait to see how it works out.
              Chris
              Unknown

Comment

• Interesting thing about the hay hauling.. me, who is asthmatic had no issue and was in contact the most with it. Mom, is sick with sinuses from the hay (Lily had been fighting a cold before the hay). I feel fine with no adverse affects. Most strange indeed. I will say though, since my hysterectomy I have been sick WAY LESS OFTEN. I am not sure of the connection only that there HAS to be one. It seemed like before the Hysterectomy I lived on antibiotics..not any more. I am also using essential oils and plucking those foods that cause inflammatory out of my diet. I am sure it all works together.

Tummy feeling pretty good.

Yesterday food:
                B: sausage and.. do not remember
                L: salald with rozini noodles and crab and an avocado
                D: baked potato with butter and bacon, bbq brisket and slaw

edit: oh, saw a man about building a chicken coop. Close to getting our own chickens!!!
                Last edited by athomeontherange; 02-19-2015, 09:39 AM.
                Karin

Comment

• crab and avocado? YUM!

I am sure it is the interplay of the hysterectomy, the oils, and the diet, the human body is very complex.

jealous about the chickens and will be watching closely.
                  Chris
                  Unknown

Comment

• Well, it was artificial crab (whitefish and crab meat kinda crab). Its good and lately been snacking on the sticks (kind of like a person would string cheese)

Made the best potato soup tonight..Lily ate 2 bowls..whaaaat??? It was gluten and dairy free

Onions, garlic, butter, coconut milk, chicken broth, salt, gf flour and gold yukon potatoes. When it was done put chives on top and yum.

Great for a chilly day. Yuck ice weather heading tomorrow thru the weekend so might be making more soup. I think with the leftovers i will dump some clams in a viola! 2 meals in one!

Sent from my iPad using Marks Daily Apple Forum
                    Karin

Comment

• Sounds yum.
                      Chris
                      Unknown

Comment

• OHMYGOSH! I am getting 18 DUCK eggs from my egg lady! I know weird to be EGGcited! Best way to prepare duck eggs??!!

Also, I eh hm... am needing some highlights to camouflage some much distressing silver (its up front in the center!). In the past I have used peroxide and went for some blond in the strawberry. Its hard on the hair for the most part. I need easy (read cheap and easy like a $3 hooker here) that I can do myself and not look like a freak of nature.
                        Karin

Comment

• I would not do highlights on my own hair, and I know what I am doing (that is probably why). If you put a color on the hair that is essentially the same as yours it should give you a highlighted look (you should not be trying to 'cover' the grey so much as make it look like purposeful highlights) and be easier to keep up with.

Do you have a Sally Beauty Supply near you? Even without a license the color there is cheaper and better quality than the drug store stuff. Not sure how light or dark your hair is, but a L'Oreal 7.43 or an 8.4 with equal amounts of 20 volume peroxide, first time application put on damp hair cover all the hair leave on 25 minutes. They have swatches in the store, pick the one closest to your hair color. Either Preference or Excellence will do about the same, and you will likely only need 1oz of color and 1 oz of peroxide. Subsequent applications, only do the roots, and maybe every 3rd time add a bit of conditioner to the color left in the bottle and pull through to the ends for the last 5 or 10 minutes. I actually only color my hair from just below the crown forward. That makes the underside darker and looks very natural and is easier to do.

p.s. pinterest on those duck eggs.

http://www.sallybeauty.com/loreal-pr...LOREAL&start=2
                          Chris
                          Unknown

Comment

• Well, just so ya know.. the scale is still not moving but then, I am not much either. I think PT is working as the pain seems better today. I am not sure I am going to get back to the Y this week, we will see how my hip and ankle feel but possible next week. Going to PT today.

Food: Eating simple foods though not as many veggies as I should be. This has always been an issue for me though.

Hair: umm.. For now because of $$ sticking to the peroxide in a spray bottle every now and then to gradually lighten things up.
                            Karin

Comment

• re:hair, as a retired hairdresser that breaks my heart. Admittedly peroxide in a spray bottle is pretty cheap, and I guess if it gives you the look you want, that is a good thing.
                              Chris
                              Unknown

Comment

• hands are tied right now regards to $$. I am making less now than at the first of the year because insurance costs went up.
                                Karin

Comment

Working...
                                X