No announcement yet.

The Journey begins with me

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hmm..interesting, i will see if i can find the tea.

Did 15 minutes on the incumbent bike. Very slow beginning but dang, you should see my ankle.. Twice normal size so its a good thing i am delaying the elliptical. I will build up time on the bike. I need to do some upper body when my legs feel like jello though instead of stopping. I am ashamed to admit that the whole leg movement was chopping and difficult. Ugh. Lily biked next to me and obviously, it was not enough time for her.

Sent from my iPad using Marks Daily Apple Forum
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

Comment

• A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

Celebrate that you did the workout and go from there, consistency is your goal remember. Get your foot up to help reduce the swelling. Ice it. Do it again tomorrow and you are on your way! Congrats.
      Chris
      "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
      Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• I have always found swimming to work magic on my body. Even just treading water vigorously will give a good muscle burn, but not hurt my joints. It also seems to help with swelling. You mentioned the Y, so swimming is possible? Bummer that even a little bike caused so much swelling. Can you lie on your back and peddle your legs or just do leg lifts? Also, I am often surprised what flapping and waving just your arms over your head can do. Maybe try arm pumps while resting your foot.

Comment

• I would like to get to the pool. Not sure if my swim suits will fit :/ Next payday I am wanting to take a page from Paula's journal and get some swim capris from Amazon. That will help I think. That will also give me a few weeks to maybe lose some to better fir in my suit. However, once I get in the pool I want to do laps and maybe some exercises. In the mean time, I will be heading back to the recumbent bike and try and slowly increase my time on it. I am hoping that by biking it will help making going DOWN the stairs easier. Going up is fine, down not so much.

Mud Flinger- my arms need SO MUCH WORK. Flapping in the water will help once I get there. I need to see what I can use at the Y until then. Maybe movement in more places will make the weight loss faster.

Watching my food intake. Yet, I like how my mom says, ooo I got this sugar cookie from Panera, want some? I am like, no.. cant have it and you know it. So then she goes, oh yum.. its lemon flavor and SO GOOD. mmmm.. ok.. thats being a bitch says I. grr
          Karin

Comment

• I think that Mudslinger was suggesting that just flinging arms around while you are sitting with your foot up icing the ankle can bring up the heart rate, you could also use exercise bands or cans of beans as weights while you are sitting at home to work on your arms.

I thought your mom had diabetes, or is at least overweight right? She shouldn't be eating the sugar cookie from Panera either. You could just tell her to paste it to her belly or hips since that is where it will end up anyway and at least it will last longer.
            Chris
            "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
            Unknown

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• LOL.. she does have diabetes and you are right she should not be eating that either!

gotcha on the arm thing. I think I even have some bands at home. I will check it out.
              Karin

Comment

• Well, another visit to the Y, did 15 min on the incumbent bike before pain hit. While I was there I did finally sign up for my free personal trainer sessions. My first session is in 2 weeks (scheduling is tight there). They also have a deal on an additional 3 more for $99, which I am seriously considering. I have flex money and while I am sure it would pay for PT, I am wondering if it will pay for a personal trainer to help me regain my flexibility, strength and endurance. This is a call I plan on making to find out today. Is there really a lot of difference between the two? Anyway, if I need a script, pretty sure doc would give one to me.

tracking food but seriously wonder about that. Thinking maybe I need to have smoothies in the morning with coconut milk and fruit. Whey protein is out. I know there are hemp, pea and egg white protein but at the moment my pockets are not feeling so deep.
                Karin

Comment

• As someone who has been seeing a physical therapist for several months I think PT would be more helpful. We have worked on strength, mobility, mechanics, and flexibility.

Endurance, was not an issue for me as I work on that on my on own.Getting more strength and mobility has helped endurance..

One of the things we worked on was my achilles tendon. It was very tight and had a lot of scar tissue from a surgery I had as a child. My mobility, while improved, is still very limited. However, that is because of CP.

Either one you choose, make sure they are good at what they do.

Comment

• Marcadav- thank you so much for your input. I see there are many classifications of personal trainers and that would make a huge difference I think. To be honest, I need my range of motion back and strength. I think the rest will follow.
                    Karin

Comment

• One thing to be careful of - almost anyone, with very little qualifications, can be a personal trainer. I'm not saying there aren't some good ones - there are - but a lot of them don't truly know that much. A PT, on the other hand, goes through pretty rigorous training (not to say that there aren't bad ones of those, either). I'm suspecting a PT can help you with everything you need. Just my two cents
                      -- Ruth

Comment

• You're welcome.

The skill and knowledge any physical therapist or trainer has can vary a lot from person to person. I've done PT a few times before and none of those were as good as my present therapist.

In the past I think the therapists I had were either self limiting and not able/willing to work and push me past my CP or lazy. They did very little actual work on me or with me. Instead, they simply showed me exercises, watched me do them for awhile then had me do them on my own in a free area.

My present therapist is very different. From day one he made it clear that while the CP was a part of things, his goal was to get me as healthy and "normal", in regards to mobility/mechanics/flexibility, as possible.

Each session starts with a 5 minute warm up on the machine associated with the targeted area. Lately for me that's the hand bike, as we are focusing on my torn rotator cuff/shoulder/arm.

After the warm up he runs me through a few of my home exercises to check my form. He might add a new exercise here or tweak one I struggle with.

Then we head back to what I call the torture room. Here the target area will get tooled, stretched, manipulated in order to lessen symptoms, help with blood flow into the area to aid healing, and improve mobility and function.

Some of the things in the torture room can be painful. However, I have made it clear I will put up with anything that "fixes me".

He will also check any other area that is bothering me and work on that too. I started PT for plantar faciitis. The limping from that issue messed up my SI joint. While I was still in therapy for those I tore my rotator cuff.

The plantar fasciitis is gone. The SI joint needs to be manipulated once in a while.

The shoulder was really bad with a complete tear, tendonosis, bursitis....I could not raise, or hardly move my, arm. Now my range of motion is about where it should be. I've been relatively pain free for the last 2 weeks and I've started lifting weights-slowly and lightly-- again at home.

I also do the home program religiously. All of this has helped me avoid surgery to repair the rotator cuff.

I hope this helps. If you dont think you are getting the help you need after 2-3 sessions I would suggest finding a new therapist or trainer if you go that route.

Comment

• Originally posted by RMS123 View Post
                          One thing to be careful of - almost anyone, with very little qualifications, can be a personal trainer. I'm not saying there aren't some good ones - there are - but a lot of them don't truly know that much. A PT, on the other hand, goes through pretty rigorous training (not to say that there aren't bad ones of those, either). I'm suspecting a PT can help you with everything you need. Just my two cents
                          I see many, many personal trainers and coaches in my job, and I can say unequivocally that the VAST majority of them are having clients/athletes do things that are at best ineffective and at worst downright dangerous. A truly good personal trainer is a rarity. They exist, but they're not the norm.

Just saying to study up, don't get fooled, and use caution.

Comment

• Ruth, Marcadav and Mr. Anthony,
                            Thank you so much for feedback. I had PT years ago following a car accident and while it started off well, it did end up in a do these exercises, i will check on you in a bit kind of thing. I want to avoid that if possible.

Ok..so the scale this morning showed a 5 pound drop. I am thinking its a reduction of swelling as opposed to fat but, its a loss.

Sent from my iPad using Marks Daily Apple Forum
                            Karin

Comment

• 5 lb, water or not, changes which pair of jeans I can wear...........
                              -- Ruth

Comment

• me too. or at least if they pinch or not.
                                Chris
                                Unknown

Comment

Working...
                                X