No announcement yet.

The Journey begins with me

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So starting Oct 1 for 31 days going to do a whole 30 (more or less) with a friend. Yesterday and today have been freebies.. not proud of it but there it is. Also getting over a respiratory infection (I have not had one in so long). By the end of the day yesterday I was fuzzy headed and dizzy. Driving home made me car sick so chilled on the couch. How did I comfort myself? Food.
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

Comment

• Respiratory infection still kicking my butt..head is so foggy and i sound like a chain smoker. Today starts day 1 of whole 30. I am trying to lose inflammation before surgery. Maybe the whole 30 comes at a good time and will help me kick this sickness. I went back and re-read pays off it starts with food. I know they allow white potato now (yes it's a night shade but better than other things i could be eating). My coffee is just not the same with cm and no sweet of any kind. I was doing a little white sugar with it, even so, while 30 is no sf sweet either. Can't exactly squeeze juice in my coffee. Trying to be positive and upbeat, it's just hard when every breath is a chore.

Sent from my KFOT using Tapatalk 2
      Karin

Comment

• Feel Better and good luck on W30.
        I am cleaning up my act after yet another set of binge days. Trying not to feel depressed, hopeless and angry with myself.
        Primal since 9/24/2010
        "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
        MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Comment

• tomorrow will be better..(so I tell myself) but not easier..
          Karin

Comment

• Hope you are feeling well. Re:W30, come in and talk it out and let's see if we can figure out a way to help you get as reasonably close to compliant as your current life situations will allow.
            Chris
            "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
            Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• So, my goal was simple.. so you would think.. whole 30 for October. Yup.. had the desire.. big emphasis on HAD. Stress from my kid (still in drama club, but we have so much going on- its one more thing on the plate), my mom, my mom/kid, my mom/me (I m frustrated at her passive aggressiveness-yep.. she has stress too, I get it), crap at job #2, my house is a zoo..the little dogs STILL bark at Lulu like they have never seen her before and then of course job #1 (getting crap done, conferences coming up and preparing for a sub at the end of the month), surgery prep and all the phone calls etc. that entails. Yeah, food just not a priority. I am also waffling back and forth whether I can just cashier on the weekends after surgery while in a knee walker. Some days I am like, yeah- no sweat and other days I am like.. oh hell no.

What am I currently trying to do? eat more protein and less grains. Trying to reduce sugar and then something goes to hell and I cope.. binge and cope.
              Karin

Comment

• I think you need to go to that PNC (or whatever it was, Ruth help me out here) concept. Change 1 thing and make it something so small you know you can absolutely do it for 30 days. If you choose something and you have a misstep, make it an even smaller change. You need to do something to get your confidence up, so that you know in your heart that you can make changes successfully. Think of one thing you know you can stick with until your surgery, just one very small specific thing. Not a whole 30, not cut back on grains or sugar...Whole 30 is too big, and cut back is not specific enough. Maybe you can focus on something you can do for yourself instead of dealing with any food issues right now, say a daily 15 minute quiet time-to read or listen to music or a meditation or just lay quietly with cucumber slices on your eyes. Let everyone know it is sacred, ie. unless the house is burning down it can wait till your 15 minutes is up. In this sense the cucumber slices and a set of headphones would help everyone to know now is the time. You can set an alarm on your phone as a reminder. Maybe doing something like that will help you to feel calmer and let you know that you are important enough and it will be easier to make better food choices.

also, you may need to lower your standards, for a while, regarding a clean house?
                Chris
                "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
                Unknown

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• I am making time to read for pleasure everyday (its the only way I can GET THE F*** away sometimes). Food- lets not discuss it. Although, I am trying to "listen" for hunger signals.

I put my notice in at TSC. The more I read about this surgery.. I have read the the med staff has said this is the most difficult one they do (greeeeaaaattt). I had thought after a couple of weeks I could do basic cashiering. The more I read, if I become unstable and fall- I can REALLY screw things up and then be laid up for A LOT LONGER. So.. told TSC the 19th was my last day. She begged me to work the 25 and 26 for an event, told her I promised Lily the 25th (pre-Halloween activities and my last hooray on both feet really) so, my last day is Oct 26th. Surgery is the 29th.

Surgery prep:
                  Getting what I need to bed rest which I am planning only 2 weeks. I have the knee scooter reserved, I have the iWalk, my friend found a ramp that we can borrow, making lists, mega cleaning and ensuring paths are clear for me to get through, menus etc. Mom is taking the 29th off to take me to surgery-take me home etc etc. Lily has the 30-31 off from school (how great of timing is that??) SHE will be nursing me, fetching for me etc. etc. GOD HELP ME (in more ways than one!!). This is all in addition of course to planning for conferences and my sub.
                  Karin

Comment

• Yikes. I do not know how you keep all this going...............
                    -- Ruth

Comment

• You have a lot going on! Be kind to yourself! I will say from personal experience.......... jumping into a Whole30 is nearly impossible to do unless you are absolutely 100% prepared - emotionally and physically (meaning you have food and your environment is stable). Otherwise, you're setting yourself up for failure. I've done this several times!

As you're preparing for this surgery - just focus on eating healthy, anti-inflammatory foods. Don't throw the strictness of a whole30 into what is already going to be a difficult month ahead.

Stress causes inflammation...... so do whatever you can, what you have control over, to reduce stress. I love the quiet time with the cucumber slices suggestion! relaxing reading - YES!
                      1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
                      2. Eat to heal
                      3. Move to live
                      4. Embrace today
                      5. Live with intention
                      6. Respect my body
                      7. Cultivate joy
                      8. Find my passion
                      9. Meditate on peace in my soul

Comment

• Karin, I really feel like you need to let go of worrying about the food. Just make each decision as best as you can. And sometimes the best decision may be more about comfort than about "health" or "weight loss". And that is ok, you are not going to have much control over that given your immobility. No apologies or guilt, only positive thoughts allowed. also...laughter really is the best medicine, hope you have lined up a stack of fun movies.

p.s. foods high in magnesium are anti-inflammatory, dark chocolate is high in magnesium, just sayin
                        Chris
                        Unknown

Comment

• Rainy rainy day (it seriously has not stopped since about 9pm last night). We need the rain so I will keep my bitching to a minimum.

Yeah, if you read my FB post.. going on little sleep <enter chocolate here>

Not worrying too much about food. I am trying to make good choices. I DO need to quit-beyond cut back- cut out etc. wheat/gluten. The last 2 times I have had any I have been sick sick sick. My tummy feels bloaty and I just feel ill. Soo.. yeah, going to do the Udi's but dang they are expensive! It will be an occasional treat. I have been eating yukon gold potatoes though and oh my.. they are so good. they a nightshade and I am not noticing a whole lot of joint issues. However, I do know and realize I am in continuous or semi-continuos pain so, anything added too I think gets lost in what I already experience.

I have gone through my movies and have grouped "marathons" for my time in bed. I have also bought some new ones (well, old shows but on DVD that I have not seen in forever).
                          Karin

Comment

• I think you can stream Netflix or HuluPlus free for a month trial, might want to check that out?

The body is a funny thing, when we are hurting it is often something that will make us feel worse that we actually crave. Maybe for something like pizza you can just do a pizza casserole with no grain. Can you do eggplant? I got some in my CSA and dipped slices in a egg white, then through ground seeds (well nuts and seeds but you can't do nuts right?), then baked it till it was golden and crunchy. It was very good just like this out of the oven, but then I put it into the oven with some sauce on it and a bit of cheese on top and it was heavenly. Froze well too. I have actually even slowly weaned my husband off of most grains, and he doesn't even realize it! I used to give him pasta on my down days, and now he gets it even other week at most. I am finding that it works better if I am not trying to use say a different kind of noodle or something to replace the noodle, but just totally change the dish. So instead of lasagna, it is eggplant parm, same attitude, better ingredients (especially since the eggplant is from my CSA!)
                            Chris
                            Unknown

Comment

• Got any good books lined up?
                              Primal since 9/24/2010
                              "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
                              MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Comment

• books? Yup. I ALWAYS have a ton I have yet to read on my kindle but then downloaded some classics. I want to read a Christmas Carol- I do not think I have ever read it. I will also be studying for my test (its the ONLY way to get out of the 2 job thing). But, yeah.. have some mystery and some smut Oh.. and I will be working on the Christmas presents for my team at school. I had Owl cozies for coffee cups crocheted (they are so fricking cute!!). However, I need to weave a bit of elastic through them because they stretch out a bit. Its kind of time intensive. Anyway FWIW: Christmas for my team is an owl cozie (in school and alma mater colors) around an empty cup with a cocoa or something inside.
                                Karin

Comment

Working...
                                X