The Journey begins with me

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• well, shit. Sorry about all of that.

the easiest way for me to do a low calorie meal is to use things that are low calorie that I can eat in quantity...broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower (these are all excellent when roasted so that the edges start to caramelize-put parchment paper or foil on the cookie sheet and clean up is a breeze), salad greens with cukes (though you do have to watch the oil in dressing a salad), and fish and chicken for protein. LOTS of teas (I like them iced). And truthfully, I feel like if you are going to stick to 1,100 calories it would be easier if you did just 2 meals a day, just under 500 calories each, and have a nice cup of coffee with protein powder and a shot of CM for breakfast?
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• Darn it! That sucks. So sorry.
      Primal since 9/24/2010
      "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
      MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Comment

• so on a positive note...if the pain meds don't wack you out, it will give you time to study for your test, right.

also, RE: no movement...Seated Workouts on Pinterest There ought to be something here you can do and enjoy. If not, maybe a google search or youtube search will.

also, for a while you will have to have someone else bring you food, that should cut down on any sneaking or cheating right?
        Chris
        "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
        Unknown

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• sorry, it double posted, weird
          Last edited by demuralist; 08-27-2014, 12:01 PM.
          Chris
          Unknown

Comment

• I had my achilles tendon surgically lengthened when I was a child. X-rays last March for plantar fasciitis showed bones spurs all along the tendon and a large spur on my heel. I also have a lot of scar tissue.

Part of my physical therapy for the plantar fasciitis was "tooling" all along my foot, ankle, calf to break up the spurs and scar tissue. It helped a great deal.

I wonder if PT might help you.

Comment

• I was in a cast for my achilles when I was in middle school. My mom thinks that this is when the whole thing started.. meh, who knows. I will have to look into tooling. It seems the bump on the back of heel keeps growing but I know there is a lot of inflammation. I have essentially 2 months to prepare for this. Lots of self talk. I will be glad when the pain is just over to be honest. Every step I take, yes, every move I make, feels like hell..

I am lining up my ducks (appointments, post op gear, taking care of things around the house etc.). I work tonight but we will see how this goes. This may be my last night, last week etc.

Chris- I got to thinking, I am not ignoring you but you are right about 2 meals a day being all I really need. I am really thinking breakfast and lunch. Here lately, I am not hungry in the evening but will eat sometimes because its what you do? Slowing down and listening to the body. I find though when I am hydrated in the evening, I am not hungry. I think I was made to be tall, well, tallish, and thin but bad habits changed that. I am working on just being content for now and being healthy. I am a realist and know I will never be thin and I am working on being OK with that.

Currently putting ideas together for some crafty stuff as I will not be crafting post op. More about this later.
              Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

Comment

• Oh, I didn't think you were ignoring me. I was starting to feel like a carp though. It is just that I think about you a lot, and I put myself in your place, and I think, how the hell would I do trying to survive on anything close to 1,100 calories a day. Honestly I would probably be best to just do a very small snack and a good sized meal (for me that would be 2:30 to 4:30 snack and 5:30 to 7:30 dinner). I feel sure I am repeating myself to the point of nagging, but I keep hoping a new bit of helpful info will come out. I am a verbal person (and this typing is much like having a conversation from my point of view), and I tend to keep talking until it jars something in my brain. Just ignore me when I get to be too much for you!

Truthfully what is working for me right now, mentally, is a very strong focus on today, with a little bit of planning for how I can expect the week to go and with a loose focus on the December 8th doc visit. But honestly, if I start to think too much about my final goal (or really even the doc visit goal), I get discouraged. It just seems too much. But, today, that I can handle. I am paying more attention to what I am doing (eating and movement, but also projects and volunteer stuff) than what I am (bloated, or puffy, or achy, or fat, or etc). It makes the whole thing much more manageable for me.

And I work each morning to put on something that makes me feel good, that is comfortable and attractive (it has cut down the wardrobe considerably) so I go out of the house with a positive attitude.
                Chris
                Unknown

Comment

• Aren't we a pair with the dr visits and such and trying to make lite of them?

To be honest, I am feeling stressed and as you know stressed equals HANGRY. I am really wanting to quit my 2nd job.. I feel a little guilty though because the receiver at work is in a boot because he has pulled the tendons in his foot again and here I am, not yet to surgery and bitching. Still, the pain in my foot just sucks.. it does and there is no other word. Things at home just go to hell because I am not there to get things done.. I swear to goodness it drives me mad and not the crazy kind.

I am not at the 1100 calories because damn, I feel like I am being pulled in more than one direction and my mom just wants to feed me and I let her. It just seems easier. However, I know only I can stop it. I do think a decent breakfast (only because I am up before the sun) and a decent lunch are the way to go. It would be nice to squeeze a little sumpin sumpin at dinner but I think I need to just drink my decaf with CM or hot tea and shut up already.

sistahs- I need y'all to just pick up the houses and move here. lol I need to talk to ya'll and sometimes this is just not the best venue. Actually, I need to whine, bitch and moan.. better not call after all. LOL

Chris- messaging you
                  Karin

Comment

• Well, I have been trying to get you to move here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Your mom could hang with my mom. Or your mom and my mom could live together???

Text me anytime. I know that I often don't post here, not because I don't want to, but because it can be a PITA. But, texting, well, I like that............
                    -- Ruth

Comment

• Ruth..got it will do. I tell you, if my mom was ever willing to move back to Albuquerque, i would in a new York minute.

On a side note: until now, i have been having issues with the app for mda on my kindle. Fixed i think, so i sold be in contact more often.

Sent from my KFOT using Tapatalk 2
                      Karin

Comment

• Do you like soup? I'm thinking you need big pots of a lovely veggie soup. While I think it's better to make ones own bone broth, sometimes, it just doesn't happen. But, this looks decent. Lots of healthy stuff and filling. Organic Chicken Bone Broth - Pacific Foods
                        -- Ruth

Comment

• My MDA doesn't work on my phone and I can't remember the password Thus, it's a pain. If I'm at my computer, I can type away.
                          -- Ruth

Comment

• I had to go through the whole reset then i could connect again on my kindle..it is a pita though. I like soup generally, but it is still a little warm for soup. I must say, ww has even gone my mind and as you know, they show you to eat anything out at least they did. I mean shoot, it's easy to buy low calorie goods but it's nutritionally vacant. Yet, i almost don't care except that simple prepared food aggravates and causes inflammation. Soooo...thinking my best options are breakfast with weeks and perhaps a second protein and some veggies or fruit and a lunch that is a protein and a salad or a slaw.that might leave just enough calories for a decaf latte in the evening.

Sent from my KFOT using Tapatalk 2
                            Karin

Comment

• ok, so some ideas for being low cal...On my pinterest board "my recipes" I have a veggie soup that has very few calories. It is just as good cold (to me). Also Gazpacho is very low in calories, just don't add avocado or oil and save those to add later if you have enough calories left in the day.

The thing I have been doing at the end of the day is to drink 12 oz of coconut milk (unsweetened, 30 cals a cup-so from the carton not a can-not primal but it is low cal-for you) with a scoop of protein powder, use a hand mixer to froth it up. Last night I actually poured coffee into a 30oz cup with ice in it added 4 oz of the coconut milk and a scoop of the protein powder and a few drops of stevia (my protein powder is unflavored). Fantastic, filling, just over 100 calories. (my scoop actually does not dole out the 30g of powder that is considered a serving, so I get fewer calories from a scoop than the package says).

The other thing I have been drinking every day to reduce inflammation-ginger tea. So easy and super yummy! Slice up about 1/8th to 1/4th Cup of fresh ginger (you can leave the skin on) put it in a small saucepan and smash it up a bit to release the juices. Add about 2 C of fresh water and a slice or 2 of fresh lemon. Bring to boil, and boil for about 10 minutes. you can drink it hot or cold (I strain it over a 30oz cup of ice-I sense a pattern here) and add a few drops of stevia-the directions suggest honey but I don't care that much for honey and don't want the calories anyway. I can tell when I forget (like yesterday, having some issues with discomfort today).

And my big tip for the day, have something (lets say that coffee/milk/protein powder) that has some flexibility in the recipe for the last thing you have in your day. So that if you get to the end of the day and have no calories left then it is just the coffee and a splash of the milk, or just a cup of tea, if you have 50 calories left you can use a half scoop of the protein powder, if you have 200 calories left then use coconut milk from a can instead of the low cal stuff. But I think it is a bad idea not to eat up to the calorie limit you set for yourself in a day because you get a slight sense of having "done good" and then the next day goes down in flames.

One more thing, sore foot or not, everything I have read recently suggests waiting until you are on the path to weight loss and have your eating down pat before you start to put any real emphasis on exercise, movement ok, exercise not so much.

end of lecture, carry on
                              Last edited by demuralist; 09-03-2014, 10:38 AM.
                              Chris
                              Unknown

Comment

• What was that I read... was it in your journal Chris about diluting the CM in 1/2 gallon? Is it one can per 1/2 gal of water? That would really dilute the CM but also reduce calories.
                                Karin

Comment

Working...
                                X