No announcement yet.

The Journey begins with me

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think I am becoming a serious foodie!! I am exploring my creative food side. Stepping out of the comfort level of my regular food will be a challenge but I am willing- kind of.

Observations: I feel different but can not explain it. It just seems like my circulation is better or something. I feel really good though but can not pin point it yet. Perhaps inflammation is going down?

What am I eating? Yes, it is 113 here and I made the most fantastic chili con carne. Recipe here:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread34560.htmlt

Exercise: Boot is off tomorrow and I have ordered some work out video's to go with my gazelle. I know, working out outside is best but really.. I prefer air conditioning. I am a wimp and well.. there are living plants and flowers out there and guess who is allergic. YUP! I am already taking mega allergy meds for when I do need to be outside. Frickin Kansas.. never had this problem when I grew up in Colorado.
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

Comment

Footloose! Footloose! I won dance but I so happy to be free from stitches and the boot!! Doc said when I got out of the boot I would be able to be in an Asics. Not true.. thought the Asic was trying to kill me!! However, I saw advertised a NB vibram minnimus shoe. Tried it on and LOVE them!! Looking for more colors! They are so comfortable! I have read you need to work your way up in them and will do that but I am loving the barefoot feeling without being barefoot!

Observation: Ok.. I have quit journaling. After considering what some others have said, I am going to eat 90-100% (I find its not that hard) and just work on being stronger instead of focusing on the food. I plan to hop on the scale tomorrow morning just to get a point of reference and plan my working out Monday. Based on experience from the June surgery, I need a couple days acclimation before starting anything.

What am I eating: I ate lunch at Red Robin and think I was 80-90%. They have GREAT burgers and they can serve them in a lettuce bun. How delightful!! I also find I am so happy drinking water only. I drink coffee in the AM and the occasional tea but really, loving the water. I sure hope this continues in the winter when its harder to drink the water because I am freezing all the time.

Exercise: Pretty much addressed this already. Looking forward to moving more. Not sure how to go about working my upper body/arms (I admit it, I am weak-FOR NOW)
      Karin

Comment

Ok.. wore the runners all day with not one worry or pain. I am thinking that since I love barefoot anyway and pre-surgery was wearing dreadful flip-flops, perhaps I wont have to make the transition most make because I haven't been wearing the typical supportive shoe. Love them though, plan on getting more, in other colors as well.

Observation- umm yeah, had some chocolate today and did not wow me like my strawberries with a little coconut milk. GOAL TIME: I am transitioning to simple salad dressings. I want to get to the point where red wine vinegar and evoo is enough dressing on a salad. It is a process but I think I am almost there. Salad dressing, not matter how few carbs it has is just too sweet or strong or.. ya know.

What am i eating: Had a BAS tonight with precooked fajita chicken. Not sure how primal that is but in a pinch I can not see the harm. I did not pull anything out of the freezer and plan for supper tonight so this was a quick save. Made bacon wrapped eggs for breakfast and YUM!

Exercise: I have moved heavy things today LOL does that count??? I moved furniture so i could put the treadmill in the dining room and the gazelle in the living room. I cleaned in between (you know vacuum and the like). Let me just say that neither the treadmill or gazelle was light. I plan on starting tomorrow.

NEWS NEWS: ok.. I weighed myself this morning. 308.5! So that down like 6.5 pounds this past month. You know, I weighed myself 2 weeks ago and I was at 318.5 so its more like down 10. I noticed that I dropped those extra I gained and then some when I dumped the dairy. I have discovered that while cottage cheese is nice, greek yogurt is fabulous and cheese is good- they are all something I can live without (even cream). I have gone coconuts!
        Karin

Comment

Drink hot water in the winter! Especially tasty with a lemon wedge.
          Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

So hot today!

Observations: I am finding that eating this way is starting to be a habit. I have said "no" to food I used to eat and feel nary a regret.

What am I eating: I REFUSE TO APOLOGIZE FOR EATING ALL OF MY SALAD!! Ok.. so after swimming (small town- 2 restaurants and a pizza hut), we went to the "drive through" a local restaurant to grab something. This guy cooks all his own stuff and you can watch to see what goes in it- its great. Anyhoo.. I wanted a philly cheese steak MINUS the cheese MINUS the bread on a salad and yes put a hard-boiled egg with that. It was a lovely bit of deliciousness!! Yes, I ate every bite. My friend ordered a salad with a fried chicken fried steak on top (blech) she said it was good, I know mine was better- anyway, halfway through her salad she is like.. ohhhh I am just so full (makes me look the pig/feel the pig- you KNOW!). I don't care.. it was primal all the way. Man I am just a brat!

Exercise: I went to my classroom and thank you cleaning staff for dumping all my furniture in the center of the room. Lots of tugging and heaving, pushing and pulling to get furniture where it goes. Sweat-a-plenty! On a side note- foot movement/range of motion improving.
            Karin

Comment

well at 113 degrees its too hot to do much of anything but stay inside in front of a fan with the AC on. How hot is it? The propane company down the road exploded today- so not a joke. Propane Explosion Injures Three, Sparks Grass And House Fires

Observations: When I first read about IFing, I was like, no way!! I GOT to have my 3 meals!! If I skip a meal I will be starving and miserable. Ehh.. ya, not so much. I 'IF' a lot. Sometimes though I have coffee and 'IF' the rest if I am in a hurry or just not hungry. I did this morning because I had some corned beef pretty late last night as a snack.. So, IFing is really not a big deal and you know that kind of empty feeling?? Its not so bad either.

What am I eating: Since I IF'd breakfast, I still kept it light at lunch. A hamburger patty and some celery. Its so hot not really wanting to eat but I am a little hungry. I am going to eat a little something and then call it good. Last night though I did have a 1/3 of a scoop of homemade ice cream. It was a treat (yes it had sugar) but I was content with what I had and did not need more. I do not feel guilty as its a rare occurrence.

Exercise: moved heavy things, did up/downs on some chairs..
              Karin

Comment

Marks article was timely. I am still not sure I can explain why grains are poison though. PB book FINALLY came!! I have been flipping through it and reading area's I have questions in. One thing it mentions and also the article covered is that eating grains raises glucose levels and you have to eat more frequent to maintain those levels. This leads to my observation: I am not hungry between meals like I used to be. In fact, even when I start to get hungry its not that "eat your arm off"hunger. I can live with that.

What am I eating: Ate some delish cherries!! Usually stick with berries but had these fresh ones that are awesome. I figure since its nt an everyday thing, we are all good. I would say I am eating at least 95% PB.

EXERCISE: overdid yesterday and due to pain, today was a rest day. In fact, I am curled up with an ice pack. I have not hopped on the gazelle YET. However, a workout video for it arrived today!
                Karin

Comment

Did anyone get the plate of that wagon I fell off of and that ran me over??? Ok.. I am eating PB, my mom is also venturing full out into PB but not my daughter. She has her own food issues that as long as she eats I am happy. Well for dinner mom wanted regular wings from Pizza Hut (i am like sounds good- no sauce which is also good), my daughter pineapple pan pizza. I was fine.. I was fine.. I was fine.. and then I was not. We got home and I ate a slice. WTF? I have had no desire for breads, baked good etc. but I ate a slice of this. crap crap crap! Moving on from here...

Exercise: Ugh.. swelling in the feet. I am surprised the left is swollen as I have not had this problem even since surgery. The right foot is still hurting a little and REALLY swollen so I don't think the gazelle is a good idea.

Any ideas????? I am on a water pill, I elevate and I ice.....
                  Karin

Comment

the results of the pizza have indeed but me in the ass! I felt sluggish most of the day and my tummy has been crampy. Well I guess that will learn me!!

drinking lots of water with lemon and elevating my feet has managed to keep the swelling of feet and ankles at bay. I think I just need to be patient (something I never have enough of).

observation for the day: I went to the grocery store and am amazed at how little I need. I no longer shop all over the store for this and that. produce, meat, dairy, laundry and thats about it. So nice not to have bags and bags of groceries.
                    Karin

Comment

geez when will I learn?? STAY OFF THE FRIGGIN SCALE!! I think, hmm.. wonder if I will see anything.. yeah, NO! In fact its up 2. I still have a lot of swelling so I am pretty sure that is the culprit.

Eating good.. still amazed that less food keeps me satisfied. All those grain fillers just mucked it all up.
                      Karin

Comment

WTH WAS I THINKING?? SODA! LIQUID SATAN! crap moving on...

well yesterday was the official clean out the pantry to rid the house of grains, nonsense and yes, the occasional expired food. You name the grain and I had it in abundance and properly labeled. What was I thinking?? Oh yeah.. CW! 6 black trash bags later.... trash day is not until Friday and the can is full. Had to buy another can for outside. Now I have a nice set of empty tupperware cabinet storage containers and rubbermaid storage containers. The pantry looks empty and I am all right with that. With the pantry being fairly empty I do not feel bad having my mega freezer full of healthy food.
                        Karin

Comment

Ok.. have hid a skid in the road but I am just going to run over it rather than let it stop me. The edema is kickin my butt on the scale. Soo.. Not going to look at the scale until.....Oct 31 (why not). I am on a whole30 or rather a bacon30 and so far am doing well. You know, I had not been using a food diary for a while but I think for my own peace of mind, I am going to start up again.

Dr. BB suggested finding my sweet spot and that is my focus.. I am not going to focus on my Dr and his comments. I feel better. My clothes, while they do not hang on me, go on easier (that has to count for something).

Good news: My 4:30am workout buddy is ready to go starting Monday! I think my feet are ready to go as well.. the edema will be there until I lose the weight and if I don't workout, I wont lose it as steadily and wont be as healthy (vicious circle I am going to circumvent). I am going to work with my gazelle (not much impact) as a beginner with the tootsies and also work on my core and strength training. I WANT TO DO A PUSH UP!!! Course I am a wimp right now... but that is a goal!
                          Karin

Comment

I have the feeling of success today.

1. I DID NOT want to get up at 4:30a to workout. I seriously thought of baling, but I didn't. I worked out and it felt good.
                            2. I DID NOT succumb to the delicious looking cake bon-bon's in the lounge. Nope, I pulled my delicious chicken salad from the fridge and a bottle of water and had that instead. I ALMOST forgot/baled on the bacon30, but I didn't.

Its the little things, ya know? In fact, I do not feel sad about the bon-bons or the extra sleep time.. these are happy, healthy decisions!
                            Karin

Comment

I am mastering my sugar consumption and am doing very well.. have not succumbed! It seems with every reward there is a trip on the road.. so, I have this bump on my arm I think may be a sting, although I have no idea where I would have got it. (painful and itchy) I think well.. it will just get better, not going to stress it. The next day there are a few more and this morning I have like 5 on my hand. Starting to freak out I head to the doc... some to find out, I have the frickin shingles! So.. ok.. at least Im not laid up in bed, right? Doc gives me an antiviral to stop it AND pregnesone which stimulates the appetite. major bummer!!

On a high note.. had to step on the friggin scale at the docs and I have lost 2 more pounds!!

bittersweet day so far.
                              Karin

Comment

Wow.. been busy starting school and getting back in the swing. The good news is that I am still on track and not even tempted to be derailed. This INCLUDES when thoughtful team members bring in the CUTEST bon-bon cake bites or when my boss brings in the CUTEST cookies decorated with our mascot. No-thank you is my response. We even had popsicles for the kids Friday before they left for the day and I made sure to have a large glass of water in my hands. Can NOT open a wrapper or be tempted to open one with a hand occupied. Tough due to the 110 temps to refuse though- not for a sugar craving. I also am proud to say I was a champion choice maker when we had out luncheon!! Yes!! I just let someone else eat my share of the brownies and other poison present.

Observations: Interesting.. I maybe drink a cup or 2 of coffee early in the morning if there is time, or a glass of tea and then its water the rest of the day. When did water start tasting SWEET?? Oh my!! Yes on occasion I put in lemon but I am amazed at the sweetness of it. Weird!

Also, yep- cut the salt.. about the only salt I get is from Bacon and my edema is SO MUCH BETTER!

Also, (men- skip to the next line) no cramps, no back pain for this time of the month.. really??? If this is primal, Im all for it!

What am I eating?
                                For lunch this week, I prepared hamburger with slaw mix in it.. very satisfying for both breakfast and lunch. I also made some bacon wrapped chicken livers from the cookbook that were to die for!! I find as long as I plan, it is so easy to stay on track and not get derailed. This next week I am planning to make up a big batch of the chicken satay from the cookbook and divide them for lunch. With some slaw, It will be great!! Oh yeah, my slaw is so simple/lazy.. slaw mix, mayo and all purpose herb seasoning- no salt. I like it and find I do better with no muss no fuss combinations. Seems the simpler the better! Been making some salmon for dinner that is awesome as well. Also, when I have to eat out am making some fine choices. Village Inn has a "pick your breakfast" and yeah, they really let you have what you want from their choices! Today had some Mediterranean food with extra grilled veggies instead of the rice- WOW.. who says you have to give it all up? Can you eat just anywhere?? no- not really, but you can still eat smart when you must eat out.

Exercise: Well I started out getting up at 4:30 but then I got the shingles and have not been "at it" since. I am on an antiviral and steroids (I'm going nuts) but am starting to feel better so Monday I am back in the saddle. For my feet I have 2 pair of nice minumus runners and a pair of vibrams I gave a test run with errands today. I am happy to say I did well although my mother laughs at them. Who cares, right?
                                Karin

Comment

Working...
                                X