No announcement yet.

The Journey begins with me

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• why are we so bad with the whole tweaking thing, wonder if that isn't part of my problem? Gotta give something time to work. though part of me thinks that if I can't sustain it long enough to start losing it is unlikely I will sustain it long enough to maintain once I do lose.

I missed the part about power salads, mmm, now I am hungry.

p.s. we really need a like button so we can show when we agree with something. given the foods that you like and that like you, vlc does seem like an excellent choice.
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• I think there are (at least) two reasons we tweak. First, we read about everyone's (often quick, often initial) success, and we want that too. Although I know VLC is not for me, particularly right now, part of me saw Karin's 8 lb (I don't care if it's water - my jeans would fit WAY better) loss and thought, hmmm, maybe before some pictures coming up? Second, I don't think we like the fact that our bodies don't lose quickly or linearly. It's hard to be patient and stay the course. I keep going back to Sabine's numbers. On a weekly basis, there had to be weeks where she just wanted to throw in the towel. But if you look back at her long term progress, wow!!! That's what I'm trying to remember. [Having said that, some things just won't work long term. I do not believe I could go low-fat for the long term or even for the short-term (beyond like every other day in an ADF-style eating pattern.]
      -- Ruth

Comment

• one of the reasons I particularly like the uddd way of eating is that on ud's you can tweak what you eat ratio wise as long as your calories are reasonable. If I feel like I could use the energy from some carbs I can do that, if my iron feels low - I go big steak/lots of protein and fat, too many cravings, throw in a fat bomb. I just need to keep myself honest on the dd's.

Having 2 sets of weight charts to me is really the key. I have one which only goes linear, in that I only add a weight when it is lower than the previous, and one that is crazy wild that I post in daily. the linear helps me to see that there is progress and the non-linear reminds me that the scale doesn't always reflect what I did the day before.
        Chris
        "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
        Unknown

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• What is Sabine doing again? Or is the point that she just sticks with one thing? I totally get and agree why we tweak.. it is a vicious way we attack and sabotage ourselves I think.

I am wondering how long I can do VLC before 1. it no longer works and/or 2. It starts causing issues.

I need to ensure I am eating enough veggies though (thinking mass for the carbs rather than like an apple). Had a bit of constipation this morning. I also need to ensure I drink my fluids and move. The importance of good gut flora was mentioned and I want to maintain that. Would think mean taking probiotics regularly while VLC?
          Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

Comment

• Chris- I think my problem when i moved to uddd, I had a problem with consistency. Then it all went to hell..
            Karin

Comment

• she did uddd to lose, I think she has picked 2 or 3 days of the week that are her down days now that she is in maintenance. But yes, mostly it is about the fact that she stuck to it and didn't tweak.

I take a probiotic (VSL#3-best for IBD sufferers) and an enzyme (Bromelain again best for IBD sufferers). You might do better with either an enzyme or probiotic or both, or make your veggies count (fermented and or nutrient dense).

Actually read about a recent study that showed that it is in fact not true that you need grains or high fiber (insoluble) for good transit, that was just about volume (ie. when you eat high fiber it compacts and finally the shear volume forces its way out), that fat and the fiber in veggies and fruits (soluble) actually does a better job.
              Chris
              Unknown

Comment

• Sabine is doing UDDD, primal style. More than anything though, she is crazy consistent.

I like UDDD, and I'm about to try it again. BUT, I truly believe it is not good if we are very stressed. In fact, if I get too stressed, I will back off again. Fasting, even with 500 calories a day, is hard on the body. If you want to try it, I would seriously recommend you wait until the summer. You have so much on your plate, especially trying to keep sane with Lily.
                -- Ruth

Comment

• Originally posted by athomeontherange View Post
                  Chris- I think my problem when i moved to uddd, I had a problem with consistency. Then it all went to hell..
                  I have had to really work to figure out which 2 or 3 days a week are my down days. when I am not traveling, I try to get at least 2 but preferably 3 of them in a week. when I travel, I try to just eat one meal a day, with maybe one light snack- oh and always coffee with cream!
                  Chris
                  Unknown

Comment

• Originally posted by RMS123 View Post
                    Sabine is doing UDDD, primal style. More than anything though, she is crazy consistent.

I like UDDD, and I'm about to try it again. BUT, I truly believe it is not good if we are very stressed. In fact, if I get too stressed, I will back off again. Fasting, even with 500 calories a day, is hard on the body. If you want to try it, I would seriously recommend you wait until the summer. You have so much on your plate, especially trying to keep sane with Lily.
                    On days I have not been able to cope with the 500, I try to simply eat half of what I think I should put on my plate or what would be my 'normal' serving, then no seconds for at least an hour, it takes me much longer than 30 minutes to realize I am full and this way I am giving my body a chance to realize that I can be satisfied with much less.
                    Chris
                    Unknown

Comment

• Originally posted by demuralist View Post
                      she did uddd to lose, I think she has picked 2 or 3 days of the week that are her down days now that she is in maintenance. But yes, mostly it is about the fact that she stuck to it and didn't tweak.

I take a probiotic (VSL#3-best for IBD sufferers) and an enzyme (Bromelain again best for IBD sufferers). You might do better with either an enzyme or probiotic or both, or make your veggies count (fermented and or nutrient dense).

Actually read about a recent study that showed that it is in fact not true that you need grains or high fiber (insoluble) for good transit, that was just about volume (ie. when you eat high fiber it compacts and finally the shear volume forces its way out), that fat and the fiber in veggies and fruits (soluble) actually does a better job.
                      so fermented as in pickles, olives etc? I LOOOOOVE Olives!

Originally posted by RMS123 View Post
                      Sabine is doing UDDD, primal style. More than anything though, she is crazy consistent.

powerful sentence there are so very true!
                      Karin

Comment

• Funny, that's sorta how I've decided to start again (roughly). Basically, on a normal day, I get about 1400 calories. I decided to start by getting about 700 on my low days. That gives me a small lunch (basically, a huge salad with some protein) and a small, but normal, dinner with the family.
                        -- Ruth

Comment

• Originally posted by RMS123 View Post
                          Funny, that's sorta how I've decided to start again (roughly). Basically, on a normal day, I get about 1400 calories. I decided to start by getting about 700 on my low days. That gives me a small lunch (basically, a huge salad with some protein) and a small, but normal, dinner with the family.
                          I think making dinner look 'normal' with the family helps keep you from feeling deprived.
                          Chris
                          Unknown

Comment

• Originally posted by athomeontherange View Post
                            so fermented as in pickles, olives etc? I LOOOOOVE Olives!

Obviously I have not figured out the ole multiple quote thing, but olives should be good for vlc as well as pickles, but I was thinking more like sauerkraut (rinse the salt off) and kefir
                            Chris
                            Unknown

Comment

• Originally posted by demuralist View Post
                              Obviously I have not figured out the ole multiple quote thing, but olives should be good for vlc as well as pickles, but I was thinking more like sauerkraut (rinse the salt off) and kefir
                              Oh..hmmm.. Not a fan of either sauerkraut or kefir..what else ya got? Lol
                              Karin

Comment

• kombucha, yogurt (cow milk or coconut milk), pickles, miso, kimchi. If you rinse the sauerkraut (the one you get in a bag that comes refrigerated) in a colander, then in a large pan saute some of your favorite sausage and some bacon, add the rinsed and drained sauerkraut and a sliced apple-do not drain the fat, get them to start caramelizing, I can say that even the pickiest eaters have loved this at my house. dang that got my stomach growling.
                                Chris
                                Unknown

Comment

Working...
                                X