No announcement yet.

The Journey begins with me

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chris- see thats the thing, can not go to bed until my kid does. That is sometimes easier said that done.

Today: ahhhh well rested in comparison. So the kid wanted to be woke up at 4am, she did not get up. This morning was a get up get up get up kind of day. However, mama got sleep!

stepped on the scale, why do I do this? I am so flippin tired of looking at that number. Ruth, I know I know..I am not even sure how to eat anymore.. low carb, mod carb, high carb etc. etc. All I know, is I am taking my supplements and fish oil. Speaking of fish oil, I notice a fishy smell later in the day.. OMG.. my breath, I think, I hope.. I hope its not leaching out of my skin! I am also warmer on the whole more than normal. Fish oil? (this is ALMOSt a haiku)
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

Comment

• That's sometimes my problem I need a lot of sleep, but my boys don't go to bed in time and then they get up early. It probably wouldn't work for mom to help get the kiddo in bed?

Okay, I totally hear you on the scale (totally...but that's a story for my journal, not yours). I'll think on it. I know this is unpopular, and I could be completely wrong (the girl who has gained 40 lb in the last few months...but needed to lose that amount...), but I still contend that the issue isn't so much about low carb, high carb, no carb, etc. I think it's about nourishing your body (and I suspect that's different for different people) and watching calories. Are you getting enough protein? Are you doing bone broth (I think this is important since you aren't a real veggie fan)? I do think you might (like me................) have to think about whether you have some autoimmune issues that are affecting the gut (and thus cravings and everything else). I finally got that book from the Paleo Mom in from the library. Of course, it's not a week that I have time to read it, but I've read so far is really solid. You might thing about this book and think about whether you might plan and consider it for the summer. [Just a thought.]
      -- Ruth

Comment

• Ah, well I put my kids in their rooms at 7 and let them put themselves to bed. I started this when they were very young (like 3 and 5) they complained that I was putting them to bed too early and that they couldn't fall asleep. So I told them as long as I didn't hear them they could stay up as long as they wanted. We would have dinner, do baths, read stories, then in their rooms-very specific order followed every night possible. No electronics were in there, just a few toys.

I am totally with Ruth on this one. While I definitely think in the end is is calories, it is very important to be getting the nutrients that you need. Not what anyone else needs. Once you get in your 21 days straight of taking your supplements and meds, I would select one thing you could take away without much pain and add one thing you could without much pain. (ie. out with soda in with kombucha). I think you need to stop worrying about the ratio of carbs/protein/fat and worry about eating highly nutritious food where ever that may source from. Keep track of it all (good and bad) and in the notes at the bottom of the page in MFP put how you reacted to what you ate that day or the day before. Once you start to see patterns you can start to make a plan for yourself.

For me, in being honest with myself, I discovered I cannot cut out anything specifically or that is what I crave. I also know I have a portion control problem. So doing low calorie 3 days a week (or trying really hard to) and skipping breakfast and keeping all my calories for my witching hour works best for me.
        Chris
        "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
        Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• I am not doing anything, just like PN protocol dictates. I try and eat when I am hungry but sometimes, I eat because its dinner time and I do not want to either 1. be hungry later or 2. eat later. Not good reasons but there they are. I am good on protein I think. I am not drinking bone broth but that cream of mushroom soup last weekend was made with bone broth and it was awesome. Thinking I need to make some more. *looking up soups*

As for the elimination. Yes, that would be something for summer. Although, I could eliminate items now. I really, really, really do not want to give up eggs and sunbutter..however, I will do what I must if I must.
          Karin

Comment

• I hear you Chris. Wow.. this 21 days of meds and vitamins is taking forever! *ruminating on your post some more*
            Karin

Comment

• right now, I am just trying to get back to what I know works for me. I am such a tweaker. I think you would do best to stick to the PN protocol, your life is so stressful, slow changes are best (to the extent that that isn't stressful for you)
              Chris
              "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
              Unknown

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• One things she says (and I've read this elsewhere) is that giving up something does not have to be forever. Once you heal the gut completely, some things can be added back in. But, give the PN a chance between then and now and see what you think. I might also be able to read the book some more (in my spare time?) and give you more insights.
                -- Ruth

Comment

• The Paleo mom has a website where she keeps the clift notes of the book. I am checking it out. I really am wondering if I eliminated the foods recommended if I would see a difference. Pretty dang sure I would see some weight-loss for SURE. I really do not want to wait until summer.. I am tired of this weight NOW.

Here is the list:
                  Screen Shot 2014-03-27 at 3.05.18 PM.jpg

I think my issue would be:
                  coffee ( but I can transition to tea pretty easy), eggs and seeds. I can give up dairy- not an issue as I do not consume much more than butter and the odd slice of cheese. I already know nightshades are an issue and on occasion they do creep through into my diet.

edit: still keeping with PN though.
                  edit part 2

so they recommend that if you give up stuff, you should replace it with this:
                  Screen Shot 2014-03-27 at 3.10.13 PM.jpg
                  Last edited by athomeontherange; 03-27-2014, 01:32 PM.
                  Karin

Comment

• You may or may not lose weight on an elimination diet (because, frankly, I could find plenty of stuff to still eat....).

Here's the reason I suggest the summer. An elimination diet, especially of this magnitude is HARD. Physically, emotionally, and with time. You have so much on your plate now - Lily, school, mom, not always getting enough sleep. If you do this, do you have the time and commitment to see it through? On days when you stop by the drive thru (I'm so not judging here - I have those nights - one of which is going to be tonight!!!!) - can you resist? What about staff lunches? And special events with the family? Etc. And there are the cravings. And the early withdrawal and some of what can occur there. It's hard and it's time consuming. Anyway, you know we've got your back if you are ready to do this
                    -- Ruth

Comment

• What's the PN protocol?
                      K

Comment

• Kmarie: precision Nutrition

As for the elimination, I was thinking of those few items I struggle with now, just doing one at a time. You are right, the stress the drive thru etc. etc. will make it tough. I am going to have it completely planned out because I do not think you can even gave coconut flour etc. like I said, it needs to be very planned with provisions for x, y and z.
                        Karin

Comment

• ok, I did not take the fish oil today. I seriously think I have been taking too much as I smell it later in the day. So my plan is to break from it today and then tomorrow go to one tsp.
                          Karin

Comment

• kmarie, you can google for more info they have a pretty good website.

Karin, I would personally eliminate only one thing at a time so that you can pinpoint what causes the issues. Maybe when your 21 days is up you can drop nightshades since you know those are an issue. I know that is not the general recommendation, that they tell you to drop it all and then selectively add back in, but honestly wouldn't it be easier to just drop "one" thing see how it goes then on to the next?
                            Chris
                            Unknown

Comment

• Chris- see that is what I was thinking as well. Nightshades I know kick my butt. I also want to know if coffee affects me as well. I have no trouble switching to tea. I think this is where I am going to start and wait until later or perhaps summer to drop eggs and seeds. although, I am curious as to the effect those have. I think at this point, its very doable. Birthdays are coming up in April so navigating this as well. I do not forsee a big issue. The PN protocol talks about how to handle it etc.
                              Karin

Comment

• So my (admittedly unasked for) advice, is drop the nightshades first. As you start to feel better from that it will be easier to switch from coffee to tea, by then you should be just at the start of your summer right? By then you should know if coffee is an issue or not and you can add it or not depending on your reaction to the substitute. Then drop first eggs then seeds. For me, seeds would be a no brainer to drop, eggs would be a huge issue. Though as I have said, the IBD research actually shows I should be eating those things so I am slowly adding them to see how the body takes to them.
                                Chris
                                Unknown

Comment

Working...
                                X