The Journey begins with me

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by demuralist View Post
    I am with Paula on this one. I bet you do need to add some carbs, why not give the PHD a shot for a month to 6 weeks (no tweaking) and see what happens.

the thing that is so difficult about calorie counting is that is is very difficult to know what you actually burn on a daily basis, so getting 20% less is great, but less than what is a bit harder. Lots of calculators out there, maybe do a few different ones and take an average? Unless P has one she particularly likes.
    I think I do need carbs. In the book I was reading about not having carbs and it being successful for a while and then the bottom falls out and you start eating the sugar etc. again. This sounded like me. I have tried the LC/VLC to a dismal fail. However, its so easy to be programmed that carbs (sweet potatoes and rice) are bad that this makes me a bit nervous. However the PHD says you need a large variety of plants in your diet and this make sense. Checking into the calories..

Originally posted by Pebbles67 View Post
    What one needs to do is pick one (carbs or no carbs) and do it for at least a month. I vote for carbs because it minimizes bad eating.

As far as calories, I believe that our bodies burn a certain amount daily. If you eat a small amount below that, say 20% and are consistently eating healthy food, then your body will do something. Once you have a routine in place, counting and tracking can be once in a while. I am already coming up with a PHD routine that is fairly consistent.

What were you doing when you were successful?
    It has been so long since I have seen success. *sigh* I am derailed more than on the train. However, I want to give this a minimum of 6 weeks. I would like to get this down well enough to start IFing. I did have success with the IF 5:2 once upon a time

Originally posted by RMS123 View Post
    Here's my two cents on calories. Everyone says calories matter (even Robb Wolf and Mark and others). However, a lot of people say once you start eating Primal/Paleo you no longer need to count. I think the answer on that is "it depends". For my husband, switching to better food is all he needs to do. But, he doesn't eat emotionally. He can start eating a candy bar and just stop in the middle. He's let cake (cake he likes!) go to waste because he can't finish it before it goes bad. I, on the other hand, have a broken switch. I can eat too much by overeating cauliflower or meat. Sometimes, I have to count because I don't know when to stop -- even with a super duper clean diet. I'm getting better, but I'm not there. Thus, I still need some counting.
    my switch is broken. I know this because I have not moved forward, nothing has changed. I have GOT to dump sugar. Its such an easy fall back.

OK.. Foot News: I got an email (a response from one I sent saying the second cortisone shot was no help), the good news is it is NOT a tumor on the nerve (the treatment would have helped it). The bad news.. guess who needs orthotics and has to no longer wear her minimalist footwear! BA!!
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pebbles67 View Post
      Well, calorie conting gets easier once you have a good idea what things count. I still measure my food. Right now, I am measuring the weight of my potatoes and rice to get to a pound.
      I was thinking this would be more accurate than measuring cups etc. I am planning this as well.
      Karin

Comment

• On PHD, you are eventually supposed to move to an 8 hr eating window and IF 16 hrs. Today I had coffee with gelatin and 1 tbsp of CO (alternately 3 tbsp CM). Then I did not eat until lunch. I am having a late dinner today with my husband. Some days, I will eat breakfast and lunch, but not dinner. So, most days I will get 16 hrs without measurable food.
        Primal since 9/24/2010
        "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
        MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Comment

• even on days that are my up-days I only eat 2 meals. On my days off the first one is usually not until 2:30, on work days it is not until 4:30, I always finish eating by 8:30 at the very latest. On the days I work, I strongly prefer to just eat at around 5 or 5:30 and be done with it (so one meal). But I only have one up day that is a work day (Tuesday).
          Chris
          "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
          Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• I have conferences this week. At the moment, I want to get through this week with as little damage as possible food wise and then start a full out PHD. Today I swear I have been busier than a dog with 2 tails. Crap! So not ready for conferences. On top of that, more snow than anticipated last night and my daughter's school called off but not mine. Good thing its a short week!
            Karin

Comment

• why is it a short week?
              Chris
              "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
              Unknown

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• Well, short with kids. Tues kids then pm conferences -8 pm, Wed with kids, Thurs all day conferences 8a-8p no kids, Friday through Monday off.

Sent from my KFOT using Tapatalk 2
                Karin

Comment

• after school is conferences and wont be home until about 8pm. UGH! I have planned my meals as best as I can with this schedule.

Last night against better judgement in the way of an 11 year old, we went to Applebees for supper. My sleep was AWEFUL and I was a hot sweaty mess. There MUST be a relation between preservatives and sodium and hot flashes etc. I have had zero issues until last night. In fact, I am always cold. crap.

A little more snow last night. Out where we live its pretty packed and deep. Its not so bad in town. I am still reading the PHD. When I shared some of it with my mom she was appalled at the 1 pound of healthy starches and .5-1 pound of meet per day. I had to remind her that 16oz was a pound. 8 oz was a cup. She still does not get it, meh, don't care at this point. I am still running the kitchen and cooking for me.

Enjoying my brewed cocoa nibs this morning..
                  Karin

Comment

• Originally posted by Pebbles67 View Post
                    I would take an average of a couple. I'm pretty sure of what I burn because my Go wear fit absolutely agrees with the calculators. I think one can safely take the calculator's numbers making sure to multiply by and activity multiplier.

MFP has my coma calories at 1676 (Mifflin-St. Jeor)

My other Favorite BMR Calculator says 1684
                    Not a big difference.

Then use the Harris Benedict Equation activity multipliers. (Found on above site)
                    ok.. my coma calories are:2146
                    so 2146 x 1.2 =2575 then subtract 20% is @ 2060/day
                    Last edited by athomeontherange; 02-11-2014, 08:47 AM.
                    Karin

Comment

• Conferences ALL DAY until 8pm today. Tomorrow is not even a sleep in day. At 8am I need to have my car at the body shop (I hit a dead raccoon on a country road and it put a hole in my bumper and jacked up some things under the wheel), then new tires (needed), oil change (needed)- I will have a rental. Lily's conferences will be next and then I think we will go see Frozen. Lots to do, but a long weekend will make it nice.
                      Karin

Comment

• Hooray for a long weekend!

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app
                        -- Ruth

Comment

• Our weekend may end up being 5 days due to the snow.
                          Primal since 9/24/2010
                          "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
                          MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Comment

• more snow?? WOW Paula! We are going to have a 60 degree weekend!! I AM SO EXCITED!!!
                            Karin

Comment

• the sun is out, for now, temps in the mid 50's if we are lucky. I am going to try to go out, though I don't know how much skin I can expose or for how long. My kids got snow, and the University canceled classes for today.
                              Chris
                              Unknown

Comment

• We're in the 60s again. I think it's supposed to be a nice weekend. As much as I hate the cold, sure wish some of that snow would come our direction. WE won't be able to hike or anything if it stays this dry.
                                -- Ruth

Comment

Working...
                                X