No announcement yet.

The Journey begins with me

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Put on those PJs. You need a snow day.
    Primal since 9/24/2010
    "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
    MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Comment

• Good thinking Paula. I keep wishing a front to come in so we can have a snow day. ITs been SO DRY!! Wearing the PJ's next week for sure!
      Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

Comment

• Weight seems to be stabilizing now. I have been pretty diligent about tracking. My goal so far is just to get and keep my carbs under 100, which has been pretty successful. I am wondering though since I am tracking pretty well if I need to look at keeping the carbs @ or below 50g. Or, does the both need to equalize before it drops more. The ratio I have on MFP is 15% carbs (which, is only 53g and sometimes I have more), 25% protein and 60% fat. I want to get back to where I was, you know before. I know it will not drop quickly but dang it!!!

Since the cold I have not exercised much. The right side of my back is super sore (to breath, to move etc.) since the day before yesterday. I keep trying to stretch it out and nothing changes. Even a hot shower does not help it. If it is not improved by tomorrow I am headed to the Dr. I am hoping it is not respiratory related because that would suck the big one. Ain't nobody got time for that!!

I am suspecting I am becoming increasingly intolerant to chocolate. We live in a cruel cruel world.
        Karin

Comment

• I think the goal of between 50 and 100 carbs is a good one. Under 50 and one might go looking for a sugar fix.
          Primal since 9/24/2010
          "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Comment

• I agree with P, less than 50g for me sent me searching like I was starving no matter how much protein or fat I had had. I hover right around 100g usually. I actually have mine set for 20%C/20%P/60%F, but the article I just read actually said that a recent study shows it is the absolute number of the carb, no matter the % of total intake, that is what actually seems to have an effect on insulin resistance and such. And the low number they gave was 50g. That same study also showed to VLC does not necessarily work as a weight loss tool for everyone. I know it didn't for me, or at the very least was not sustainable for me, and therefore it didn't work.
            Chris
            "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
            Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• Yup vlc was not sustainable for me either due to binge and emotional issues, so I have no idea if it would have worked long term for weightloss.

My chiro said that in order to healthfully sustain a ketogenic diet, one must up Omega 3 fats to as much as 10gms. That would be equivalent to 10 O3 pills a day or at least 3 tbsp of good quality liquid. Very expensive.

I may try a 2 month ketosis experiment (under his care and following his rules) this summer if my current plan doesn't get me to 199 or less by then.
              Primal since 9/24/2010

Comment

• I would rather stay where I am weight wise than go back to VLC I think. It didn't feel healthy, not that what I ate wasn't healthy, but that I didn't feel that great. And I am not willing to take pills or drink oil to make it work. Though to be fair, even doing the blood testing, I never showed that I was in ketosis, so if I had gotten there, I might feel differently about the whole thing.
                Chris
                "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
                Unknown

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pebbles67 View Post
                  I think the goal of between 50 and 100 carbs is a good one. Under 50 and one might go looking for a sugar fix.
                  good point. I have noticed when the carbs are too low, I go looking for something to fill it. Mark is a proponent of 50g to lose weight.. or was it 100g?

Originally posted by demuralist View Post
                  I agree with P, less than 50g for me sent me searching like I was starving no matter how much protein or fat I had had. I hover right around 100g usually. I actually have mine set for 20%C/20%P/60%F, but the article I just read actually said that a recent study shows it is the absolute number of the carb, no matter the % of total intake, that is what actually seems to have an effect on insulin resistance and such. And the low number they gave was 50g. That same study also showed to VLC does not necessarily work as a weight loss tool for everyone. I know it didn't for me, or at the very least was not sustainable for me, and therefore it didn't work.
                  has never worked for me either.. yet I have been slow to turn the trend. Glad to see I am heading in the right direction?

Originally posted by Pebbles67 View Post
                  Yup vlc was not sustainable for me either due to binge and emotional issues, so I have no idea if it would have worked long term for weightloss.

My chiro said that in order to healthfully sustain a ketogenic diet, one must up Omega 3 fats to as much as 10gms. That would be equivalent to 10 O3 pills a day or at least 3 tbsp of good quality liquid. Very expensive.
                  yuck! I have trouble taking what I HAVE to take much less more of something that is yucky.
                  Karin

Comment

• I'd have to look at the book, but I believe he says the sweet spot is between 50-100 for carbs....

The things with VLC, is that I never felt satisfied. I felt like I was eating fat just to eat fat, but it wasn't enjoyable if I wasn't get much meat or many carbs. Not to say that it's bad, but it just didn't work for me. And, I could not seem to make it work without dairy. And, limiting my protein plus almost no carbs was painful. Again, just me
                    -- Ruth

Comment

• Not sure what Mark's original recommendation is, but I feel sure that I would lose weight if I followed it, but I can't follow it. Since I stopped VLC (my definition of VLC here is less than 50g, LC to me would be between 50g and 150g, over 150g starts into a "normal" range, over 250g probably gets you to SAD) I rarely have anything that I would consider a binge, when I was on it, I doubt I went more than a week. Now I know I have said this before, but honestly, I believe a binge is the body's way of trying to get something it needs. You may not hit the mark (ie. sometimes I am putting in food when what I need is hugs), but when I feel like Honey is giving me enough positive attention, and I can eat what I feel like on my up days, I really don't go around looking for junk to shove in my mouth.
                      Chris
                      Unknown

Comment

• From the Primal Blueprint page 90, talking about carbs:
                        0-50 grams per day: Ketosis and IF. Excellent catalyst for rapid fat loss through IF. Not recommended for prolong periods (except in medically supervised programs for obese or Type 2 diabetics) due to unnecessary deprivation of plant foods.

50-100 grams per day: Sweet Spot for Weight Loss. Steadily drop excess body fat by minimizing insulin production. Enables 1-2 pounds per week of fat loss with satisfying, minimally restrictive meals.

100-150 grams per day: Primal Maintenance zone

150-300 grams per day: Insidious Weight Gain zone

300+ Danger zone of the Average American diet.

Comment

• Thanks! So our 50 to 100 is spot on
                          Chris
                          Unknown

Comment

• Originally posted by marcadav View Post
                            From the Primal Blueprint page 90, talking about carbs:
                            0-50 grams per day: Ketosis and IF. Excellent catalyst for rapid fat loss through IF. Not recommended for prolong periods (except in medically supervised programs for obese or Type 2 diabetics) due to unnecessary deprivation of plant foods.

50-100 grams per day: Sweet Spot for Weight Loss. Steadily drop excess body fat by minimizing insulin production. Enables 1-2 pounds per week of fat loss with satisfying, minimally restrictive meals.

100-150 grams per day: Primal Maintenance zone

150-300 grams per day: Insidious Weight Gain zone

300+ Danger zone of the Average American diet.
                            Awesome! Thanks. You know, when I first started primal, I read the book, followed then tweak tweak tweak until it hurt (no twerking though lol), only to come back full circle and decide to stay the course.

Sent from my KFOT using Tapatalk 2
                            Karin

Comment

• Well, at this moment in time, I do not think I can send Lily too summer camp. We will continue to go to family camp this spring and some next fall, but don't think we can swing summer camp this year.
                              I am working on some alternatives. *sigh*

Sent from my KFOT using Tapatalk 2
                              Karin

Comment

• That is actually why we joined a church.... Youth group activities including camps and over nights. Or would that be too much for her?
                                Chris
                                Unknown

Comment

Working...
                                X