No announcement yet.

The Journey begins with me

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Like i said, this dang auto correct on my tablet is a pain. It's a game, "what does she really mean" lol

Sent from my KFOT using Tapatalk 2
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

Comment

• I turned it off on my phone, saying too many crazy things when I texted!
      Chris
      "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
      Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• Just finished dinner: salmon hash salad with a dilly of a sauce, brussels sprouts with butter..big yum. Proud to say, with the exception of my use of butter, awesome paleo day!!

On a side.note, mom is living the food i am cooking. I am hoping this will aid in weight loss for her to fire to her diabetes.

Pork butt in the crockpot with a few pieces of bacon draped over it. Not sure what i will do with it..it's so versatile. It should be ready to go in the morning. I saw a breakfast recipe using a pork chop with a poached egg..thinking something similar..dunno. i am also thinking half of it needs to be green chili.

Karin

Comment

• Your kindle has me lol ing. You just posted that my finger (dinner) sounds fab...
          Primal since 9/24/2010
          "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
          MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Comment

• I was just thinking that P!
            Chris
            "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
            Unknown

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• I fixed it!! I know i fixed it!! Dang it!

Karin

Comment

• Woke with a killer headache.. I did not have much caffeine yesterday which could be a factor, the barometer is dropping like a rock which could also be a factor. My family made popcorn last night and i had a little..My body does not like corn. However, got on the scale, down 5 pounds ( water weight) my ankles are not cankles. So keeping on the acv water and fluids and treadmill.

Breakfast was good..pork cooked all night in the crock pot with some bacon, 2 eggs fried in ghee and some strawberries, coffee and paleo creamer (made another batch this morning).

Last edited by athomeontherange; 01-04-2014, 10:18 AM.
                Karin

Comment

• yum. congrats on release of water, that is what I am working on right now.
                  Chris
                  Unknown

Comment

• Features True Paleo

MYTHS & FACTS

By: Nell Stephenson

If you were to read an article in a respected newspaper or online source, which suggested it’s a good idea to eat a balance of local, fresh veggies with some fruit, some natural, wild proteins and unadulterated fat at each meal and not to eat items in packages or cans, would you find that to be an acceptable and accurate recommendation?

Well, guess what? That’s precisely what the Paleo diet is.

Despite the common misconceptions that many people have, which is that it’s some crazy, radical fad diet, the Paleo diet is, in fact, a common sense approach to a healthy lifestyle as described above which is based on how our ancestors, the hunter-gathers ate. They ate what was available to them, then and there, locally and seasonally. Whatever they came across to forage, pick or kill were the options.

The main premise of the Paleo diet is to emulate their food groups with modern day foods we can easily procure at our farmers’ markets and grocery stores, not that one needs to begin trying to actually hunt and gather by historical means.

Although a few key researchers had been devoting their careers to conducting studies and compiling research for decades on the numerous health benefits, it wasn’t until 2002 that one of those scientists, Dr. Loren Cordain, PhD, brought this valuable information to the public’s eye with his book,

The Paleo Diet (Wiley & Sons, 2002).

The book’s sales grew slowly but surely, as more people, yet still quite few in number, learned about the merits of Paleo living, and then, in late 2008-2009 Paleo seemed to explode, becoming a rising trend as the way to eat for CrossFit athletes.

As with many things, as the Paleo diet began to grow, different versions and interpretations began to arise. If hunter-gathers came across a beast, like the ancestor to a cow, an auroch, and it’s offspring and killed it, would they not have also consumed the milk in its udders? What if they happened upon a beehive; would they not have gorged on the honey? Possibly so, but the key piece to note is that if those events did occur, they’d likely have been rare and not a mainstay of their every day diets.

Fast forward to applying Paleo into today’s busy lifestyle and the drive to eat something fast, easy and quick along with the fact that many of us are accustomed to the habit of eating pancakes or muffins for breakfast, energy bars and crackers for snacks, breads with our lunch and dinner and cake, cookies and ice cream for dessert. While that may be an extreme example, even those who believe they follow a healthy diet, and unfortunately, many who believe they follow the Paleo diet, are not doing much better.

Enter the “Paleo versions” of what are essentially food products that have been emulated by recreating the original ingredients with foods that may or may not be Paleo, or used to be Paleo, but have been so refined, and so taken out of balance of what a Paleo meal is supposed to be, that they’re hardly any better for us than eating the original versions laden with grains, white sugar and hydrogenated oil.

A dollop of coconut cream fresh from the coconut? Perfectly paleo as a topping for your steamed veggies. Coconut flour mixed with almond butter, stevia, chocolate emulsified with soy lecithin and tapioca to make a pudding? Not so much.

The surge of PseudoPaleo products on the market serves to be confusing to anyone not familiar with the Paleo basics, which, incidentally likely applies to all of us when we’re first getting started. In addition, it creates a situation whereby one may think that a day consisting of Paleo pancakes, made with almond flour, coconut oil and banana; kale chips made with nutritional yeast and soy sauce; Paleo rolls made of more nut flour and vinegar and products that actually contain whey, and very little to no veggies is Paleo.

IT IS NOT.

A Paleo plate begins with a large bed of any fresh, local veggies you like, along with some lean, wild protein (perhaps a palm-sized amount) and a dollop of healthy fat from avocado, coconut or olive oil.

If that is used as a template and one eats the number of plates according to that model as often as their body dictates, along with drinking plenty of water, sleeping properly and getting some form of physical activity, that is Paleo.

Sure, make a treat once in a while, but remember, even a Paleo brownie made from ripe banana, coconut oil, almond butter, raw cacao and honey is still a brownie and not something to be relied upon as a daily snack.

When the incorrect versions of Paleo are followed, it’s easy for one not to notice much improvement in their symptoms. While some health issues may get better by making some changes that border on being Paleo, if one never follows Paleo properly, or never tries it at full compliance at least for a month, it’s quite possible that even reducing certain foods that tend to affect us more negatively in varying degrees, such as gluten or soy or dairy, will still allow enough of their effects to continue to wreak havoc on our guts, our bodies and our systems as a whole.

Even worse, to the detriment of our society as a whole, when one follows an inaccurate Paleo diet, doesn’t see and feel relief from whatever health issues they’re suffering from and then broadcasts that “Paleo doesn’t work”, it can facilitate others’ decisions to never give it a try in the first place, much to their own disadvantage, without even knowing it.

The intention of this article is not to be dogmatic about how people should implement Paleo into their lives; rather it’s to simply present the facts in order for the valid information to reach people so they can try what Paleo living really is and then decide for themselves how they feel after giving it an honest try.

Granted, if one tries true Paleo for a month, and then opts to test certain foods that are not Paleo and see how they react, they may then opt to follow their own version of a ‘PseudoPaleo’ lifestyle. Perhaps they feel the slight bloating they feel from eating a bowl of mom’s famous lentil soup once or twice per year when they go home to visit, is worth it. Another person might decide that the congestion they feel after having cream in their coffee now and then is their treat and, despite knowing the damage they’re doing to their body by ingesting dairy, the small amount in moderation is their choice to keep them more inline with a mostly Paleo diet.

The bottom line is that given the state of health (or lack thereof!) in our country, even small steps taken in the direction towards following the Paleo diet would reap significant health gains.

If part of your process includes tapering off the inflammatory, non-Paleo foods slowly rather than going cold turkey all at once, that can work too; just get there!

I do believe that all of us can benefit from a completely Paleo lifestyle, so why not give True Paleo an honest try?

JUST EAT FOOD. AND MOVE.

From an article in paleo magazine..talk about food for thought. Posting this in my journal to read again and often.

Karin

Comment

• In the dehydrator: cabbage, celery and apples.
                      In the crock pot: beef bone broth
                      Treadmill so far:20 min
                      Food for today: totally on target!

Karin

Comment

• Did another 15 min on the treadmill.

Karin

Comment

• Great Job!
                          Primal since 9/24/2010
                          "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
                          MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Comment

• nice article, Paleo in a K.I.S.S. sort of way!
                            Chris
                            Unknown

Comment

• Well, it snowed last night and wind chills are bitter. The sun is so deceiving but i would rather have sun then clouds.

Making a frittata this morning with ground beef, bacon, carrots and coffee with my paleo cream.

20 minutes on the treadmill so far for today. I am feeling"it" and it feels good. I need to work on my flexibility though. I have neglected that for to long.

Karin

Comment

• In crock pot one: beef bone broth..Oh my gosh, it smells wonderful and tastes good already.
                                In crock pot two: vegetable soup made with chicken bone broth
                                In the dehydrator: Apple's and sweet potatoes

I think i want a second dehydrator.

Karin

Comment

Working...
                                X