No announcement yet.

The Journey begins with me

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ooo, hope the sun stays out for the conference!

As to the food yesterday....if you could make yourself only do that once a week, ie have one day a week where you allow a treat no guilt, maybe that would help compliance the rest of the week?
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• a good point Chris. Something I need to work on for sure.
      Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

Comment

• yep, for me the problem comes in when I do something like that and I start to feel bad about it, then get a WTH attitude and it bleeds over into the next day, and then I start to get a "I am such a failure" attitude. I think if you allow a no-guilt allowed treat once a week (be it a meal at a restaurant or a dessert or both) and then move on, it will be better for the over all attitude and not set things into a downward spiral. Then if you have to do a restaurant more than once a week, you just have to be good the other times that are not that one time.
        Chris
        "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
        Unknown

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• Hey how goes it?
          Chris
          Unknown

Comment

• trying to catch my tail here.. updates, news and what-not tomorrow! hope you all had a good weekend.
            Karin

Comment

• allrighty then, tomorrow was yesterday. Everything ok?
              Chris
              Unknown

Comment

• Good morning.

I swear, my daughter has been leading me on such a not-so-merry chase.. I am exhausted, stressed and depressed. Her therapy was last night and even the therapist was like, whaaaaat? Umm yeah.

First off:
                The weekend at the science conference was A-M-A-Z-I-N-G! I even ate pretty well, a couple cookies aside. I maintained my weight and came back non the worse for wear. I also came back with some amazing ideas I CAN NOT WAIT to implement in the classroom as well as items to share with my department.

Monday's-Tues weight- the same
                Wed weight- down to 283 and the same for today. So, while I have not been stellar in my eating, I am maintaining. I probably have not had a large enough calorie deficit. Although, reading the article from Science of being slim (etc.), it had the testimony of a man who did not do calories in calories out and lost. The key is exercise.. I know it is. I have always known but ugh! However, sunshine for the past 2 days and thats a bright note. I am feeling the desire to do some walking.

more later as my next inservice has begun.
                Karin

Comment

• Yay for maintaining!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think that's awesome, especially when you go to a conference where you don't have a lot of control.

Sorry about DD. Wish I could offer something.........but I know nothing to offer before being here for you

Re: exercise. I have lost doing crazy "CW" amounts of exercise; doing PB-style (my favorite, really, because it is efficient and seems natural); and doing nothing. I even did crossfit for months -- I don't find that exercise per se helped with weight loss. What I do like about movement, however, is the reshaping of the body. But, we already know my body works different that others, so take my thoughts for what they are worth
                  -- Ruth

Comment

• Karin, even in the Smarter Science of Slim he will tell you that weight loss is 95% what you eat. I think when you are feeling it that is when you should exercise. Trying to add it now, to me seems to be just adding another stresser, both when you actually do it and from the guilt when you don't.

It seems to me that with the pressure you are under, maybe maintenance until school gets out is a better way to go. And I bet letting go of the stress of dieting might actually help you to lose weight.

It might also be good to concentrate instead on your "NEAT" which is Non-Exercise Activity Thermogenisis. Which is just a nice way to say, just move more throughout the day, everyday. Then this summer once this concept is part of your norm, you can add something you consider exercise.

Sorry about the kid, in the same way that we were put on this earth to embarrass them, they were put on this earth to push our buttons. Hang in there.
                    Chris
                    Unknown

Comment

• The walk did not happen after school unless you count the grocery shopping I did. DD was in rare form when I got home and she almost escalated it to a physical level. *head desk* Calls into the appropriate people to get some assistance as behaviors are escalating. I think the idea of maintaining until Summer is a good idea BUT I want to LOSE!! I might get an opportunity to go to Alaska next summer with some friends and I do not want to be kicked off a plane for being 2 fat and not buying 2 seats.

I am a realist though and KNOW I can NOT lose if I am stressed unless I quit eating and yeah, that doesn't happen.
                      Karin

Comment

• Seriously Karin, you are going to end up in a looney bin if you try to focus on losing while you are trying to deal with that level of stress. You might even end up losing if you do nothing else but manage the stress. Summer is just a small bit of time away. This is not good for your physical health. It is possible that you can't lose if you are stressed even if you do quit eating.

Besides you are not going to have to buy 2 plane seats. that is a year away. Handle the stress then deal with the weight.

p.s. any movement that is not sitting counts toward your NEAT. So go shopping and count the steps.
                        Chris
                        Unknown

Comment

• Karin, I totally and completely understand where you are coming from (my brother-in-law's wedding is next spring, and I too would like to look awesome since there will be gazillions of pictures). But, with all you have going on, perhaps you should focus on maintenance...summer is only about a 1 month away? Or, if you are going to do something, pick ONE thing and try to focus on that (I suggest a food-related thing, because 80-90% of fat loss is the result of what you put in your body) -- whether it's to plan a few meals, hit your protein targets, or limit splurges to 2x per week -- something that is doable given you life, but helps you feel in control.
                          -- Ruth

Comment

• Well, Lily went and stayed with grandma over the weekend. We ran up to El Dorado and all went to lunch Saturday and then I returned home alone. This was much needed time. I can not say I got A LOT done, but I did get the ball rolling. I know realistically I will not get the house where I want it until summer though. I have started a organization-pintresty thing in the pantry. I am far from done though.

Lessons I am learning:

1. Take my meds on the weekend. The weekends are not as structured as the week and I forget. This is also why my weight is up this morning.
                            2. I think I need a liquid vitamin. I have to say, after I ran out of the veema my energy level also dropped. However, I just can NOT justify $75/month. I need a more affordable liquid vitamin that does not taste vile. I am of the opinion that Solid vitamins are not utilized by the body very well.
                            3. I am so much happier when the sun is shining! It has been for the past 2 days. Good news.. looks like SPRING HAS FINALLY ARRIVED!! Crossing fingers for no more snow.. that was last week. I just want to get my garden stuff in!!!

4 more Monday's counting today until Summer break..
                            Karin

Comment

• Karin, I learned the other day that there is a certification that companies can get that certifies that what they say is in their supplements is actually in their supplements. It is stamped on the bottles. It is either a "USF" stamp or a "NSF" stamp.

NSF International

USP Verified Dietary Supplements | U.S. Pharmacopeial Convention

Guessing a D3 might need to be on the list!
                              Chris
                              Unknown

Comment

• I am with you on the sun. Even if it's 20 below, if the sun is shining, I can deal with life a lot better!

Only 4 more Mondays? Oh, you are so close. Going to admit that I'm envious
                                -- Ruth

Comment

Working...
                                X