The Journey begins with me

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Karin, a few recipes for you

Can't remember if you are doing diary or not. You might like these: Guilt-Free Pizza Bites (Cauliflower Pizza Bites) | Amy Layne Paradigm Blog

Here's the cauliflower hummus recipe: MmmMonday: Practical Paleo Review and Cauliflower Hummus | Joyful Abode (may be too much oil...not sure how the calories come out)

With some ranch seasoning, these might be good (let me know if you try them!!!): Vittles and Bits: Baked Zucchini Chips
    -- Ruth

Comment

• Thanks Ruth. I am checking them out now. 1200 calories makes me really think about my choices. It is hard because it seems like everything I want is high calorie. I need to change my paradigm of thinking. I am apprehensive about eating almost because I want to make good choices and not end up hungry. Yet, while I am making the choices I am starving. LOL
      Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

Comment

• I understand. That's why I'm pushing the veggies at you - usually a minimal calorie bang, good nutrition, and fiber to help fill you up

Maybe if you have time, it would help to tentatively sketch out a few meals for the week and have some quick, low cal options on hand for when you are "starving". I know having a bag of baby carrots, cut up cucumbers, etc. saves me a lot - especially when I walk in the door and I'm HUNGRY.
        -- Ruth

Comment

• Good tip Ruth and I happen to have a great 10 year old tool that LOVES to peel carrots. The local grocer had a 5 pound bag of carrots for $1.98 (crazy huh?? and they were pretty local- one state over). You are right, planning is the key and guess what today is devoted to!! LOL

I downloaded a couple of apps on the kindle for counting calories and tracking. One is fitday and a few others to see what I like best. I like using the fitbit but I do not have an android app for that and I do not want to track in multiple places.

I am SO TRYING those pizza cauliflower bites!! I have leftover riced cauliflower from Thanksgiving I am going to whip some up. Probably not a full batch but I am going to experiment a bit. They sound awesome as does the hummus. Thanks so much!!
          Karin

Comment

• the myfitnesspal syncs with the fitbit if you end up using that one.

jicama is a good choice too. You can cut up one ahead of time and it doesn't go brown or soft in a ziptop in the fridge or carried along.

You are really sort of at Weight Watchers, their last new program let you eat as much as you wanted if you ate all "diamond" (I think that was what they used) foods. If you found someone who has their book you could borrow, it would help you with more options. My parents do it and both lost a lot of weight (Mom lost 75 and dad lost 60) and maintained it. Took them 3 to lose and have maintained for almost 2years. Mostly veggies and lean meats.
            Chris
            "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
            Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• well after checking them all out I think I am going to stick with fat secret. It is what I used when I had my smart phone. I have the app on my kindle and the website synched.

Breakfast was a pumpkin pie-ish thing-177 calories. It did not fill me up but then i did not drink as many fluids as I should.
              Karin

Comment

• Ok.. whoaaaa.. hold the truck buck!! So, those cauliflower pizza bites look awesome and I am like, I got the stuff, lets do this. No muffin pans at moms (I think they are at my house, he), so I use little ceramic cups (Ramekins) and thinking how am I gonna count the calories. I add up all the ingredients. The WHOLE stinkin' batch is only 293 calories. I modified a bit and put in a whole egg instead of egg whites. I mean... WOW!! Soooo if I eat half the batch (that sounds so piggy of me) and some lean ham or turkey with it.. not a bad meal.
                Karin

Comment

• Well, how did they turn out? [Not that I can eat dairy, but they looked so good to me...]
                  -- Ruth

Comment

• they were really good. I think they could have used more italian seasoning though. I ended up eating it like a casserole as it did not pop really. A muffin pan might make a difference there. I put a little tomato garlic sauce on top and 1 tsp of parmesan. Very tasty! So far today I have had 494 calories and that includes a snack of celery with a hotter than hell cheese dip (50cal). Looking good so far calorie wise.
                    Karin

Comment

• Way to go! I might have to see if I can tweak them without the cottage cheese...
                      -- Ruth

Comment

• I can have 35 calories and still hungry...drinking tea
                        Karin

Comment

• Sounds as if you are making a good effort.
                          Primal since 9/24/2010
                          "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
                          MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Comment

• Ok so I met the calories (1180) and it proves I can do this but man, toward the evening it was like I was at war with myself. Conscious eating, we talk about making informed food choices etc. I think until you journal it, (unless you have calories memorized) you are in for a rude awakening. Here is the breakdown for yesterday:

Calorie Breakdown:
                            Carbohydrate (22%)
                            Fat (39%)
                            Protein (39%)

Yesterday dd and I put up mom's tree. We may tackle our own today or we may just enjoy another lazy day.
                            Karin

Comment

• I vote for enjoying another lazy day

Karin - if you think I'm being too nosy, just tell me to butt out - I don't think you eat enough. I eat between 1200-1400 calories per day and I'm not usually hungry...If I ate as little as you do, I'd be hungry too. I think the difference is in those darned veggies!!! [And, yeah, while I don't think one needs to journal for life, I think it can be a really useful tool!]

Are you crafting anything fun? I think I'm going to make homemade body scrubs, etc. for Christmas gifts.
                              -- Ruth

Comment

• Ruth,

I always value your thoughts and opinions. The 1200 was set by the doctor. I am wondering if some of the hunger is just an a body adjustment. I am "used" to WAY MORE of everything. Yesterday I had quite a few fruits and veggies. More veggies than fruit. I think and wonder if it will take a few days for the adjustment. One thing to remember too is you move way more than me so you would need more calories. I am in the experiment mode (damn doctor). I may need more calories but I am going to wait and see for the time being.

As for craftiness... yes I am. I have my Christmas cards made and tags made for the homemade potpourri I made for the folks I work with and Lily's teachers. I used my dehydrator to dry oranges, lemons, limes and apples (I need to dehydrate more I think). I will add cinnamon sticks and cloves to the jars (I am also dehydrating cranberries as an experiment because a little red would be a lovely color). I am using jelly size jars. The instructions are to put contents in a pan on a back burner on low or a crockpot. It can be reused all reason. I am also making little treats for some of the neighbors. I got cheap whisks I will fill with hershey kisses and a tag that reads we whisk you a Merry Christmas. I have also started the invitations for our annual New Years celebration. I think my mom wants me to make her some tags for her gifts as well.

Its going to be a tight Christmas (dang surgery). Besides some homemade gifts I took advantage of a Harry and David special for my friend and her two daughters instead of spending $20 or so on each gift. I think Chris pointed me towards the website of saving on a dime or something. Anyway, she had great suggestions like what I am doing. Good thing I had Lily's gifts bought before August.

Oh, and I am gathering recipes from pintrest for Christmas. I want to break the mold and try new things this year.

Who else is being crafty for the holidays?

PS. i am playing with scrubs. I made some body scrubs using my essential oils and an awesome kitchen hand scrub with salt and that pink dawn with olay stuff in it. That is AWESOME! In a pinch I might make some of this for gifts as well.
                                Karin

Comment

Working...
                                X