No announcement yet.

The Journey begins with me

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I didn't realize you were doing VLC. How are you getting away with bananas and apples? One of either of those would put you out of the VLC range wouldn't it? If it was me, I would drop the fruit and keep the HWC (especially going out of summer fruit season and into the cold weather season). And really, low fat and VLC? I think you will be hungry, on a cellular level as well as a tummy growling level. I worry that you would be setting yourself up.

Don't let a one time bad choice (last night's snack) push you into an overly strict regimen.

On another board I am on, one of the most successful posters allows herself 1 carby item a day. Whether it is a banana, or a cookie, or a piece of chocolate, whatever. She says she is actually getting to where she forgets because once she gave herself permission it was a lot less interesting.

At any rate, what ever you decide, I am here to support you, gotta do what you think is best for you.
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• Not necessarily if she chooses only one each day. That is what I do. A medium apple or banana is about 25g carb. VLC being anything below 50g per day, of course.
      Primal since 9/24/2010
      "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
      MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Comment

• I am not trying to go low fat, I just do not want to be a fat party of food everyday. I think of it as VLC/LC I guess. I try to be 50g carbs or below most days but some days I know it will be @ 75g. My thinking is this: If I eat moderate fat and protein and VLC/LC I should see results. Correct?

Its hard not to come down hard on myself after a slip-up. Its the self loathing. I need to practice more self love and forgiveness. I need to be walking more as well, but am still looking for the motivation.
        Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

Comment

• I was thinking from my food tracking perspective I guess, all the veggies I eat, even though they are non-starchy, still get me over 50g, if I added a banana and or an apple it would take me well out of VLC range. I think that if you are not indiscriminately adding fat (ie. bullet proof coffee) and just getting what is in the protein as well as what ever you have to use to keep it from sticking to the cooking surface, and any that you need to make the veggies edible you are probably in pretty good shape as far as that is concerned.

I know that when I have a slip-up, I tend to get on the super restrictive band wagon. And all that tends to do is to push me further down the abyss. It feels like it is punishment (probably because it is). My current mind set is to get myself on track as often as possible and to let go of those slips. If I can just be kind to myself, I will slowly end up having more days on track than off, and eventually I will just be on track with an occasional/rare treat or indulgence. And it will produce a smaller, less fat version of me.

As to the exercise, I know that in the recent past (within the past 3 years) I had a period of time in which, my eating was on track and it got my sleeping on track, and I actually wanted to move, so I did. It was not forced, and if I didn't do it I was sad, not mad at myself. that is what I am looking for again.
          Chris
          "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
          Unknown

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• Originally posted by demuralist View Post

As to the exercise, I know that in the recent past (within the past 3 years) I had a period of time in which, my eating was on track and it got my sleeping on track, and I actually wanted to move, so I did. It was not forced, and if I didn't do it I was sad, not mad at myself. that is what I am looking for again.
            this makes sense and I have seen it myself. I am nervous about exercise and overdoing. The post-op pain was such, I do not want to feel it again. I know this is a panic that sounds insane but there it is. I am going to talk about my new limitations at todays dr appt. I still feel pain in the right ovary section, even though there is no ovary. Crazy-talk I know.

As for VLC/LC- if you look at my pics.. I am not a huge veggie girl. I should be, but sadly I am not.
            Karin

Comment

• I guess almost 10 years of being a vegetarian who didn't love beans or fake meats taught me to eat and love veggies.
              Chris
              Unknown

Comment

• I was the flip-side vegetarian..LOL.. thats how I gained weight!!

Sooo proud of myself today!! So far so good! Will post soon. Also, enjoying my afternoon/evening tea.

Medical update: I still have pain because I still have sutures. He was surprised I still have a lot and dang was that a painful exam! I asked about the dry patches that have me gouging my skin since the operation. I currently have a mass of scratching abrasions that have bled on my foot but I have had this at my knees, arm, thigh.. it moves. Anyhow, I use the benedryl, prescription anti-itch and am slathering it with bag balm because its antiseptic (the doc laughed) and yet still itchy as hell!! He is suggesting I get my thyroid checked. I have had my thyroid checked in the past and it has been fine. I asked if surgery can affect it, he said he doesn't know. Grrr... Anywhoo.. My restricted weight is up to 20-25 pounds but still take it easy and back off when in pain. The ovary-less pain, he said could be scar tissue or not. They are checking for a bladder infection and seeing if I need a CT from there. However, I am clear to go back to work on Thursday!
                Karin

Comment

• Originally posted by athomeontherange View Post
                  I was the flip-side vegetarian..LOL.. thats how I gained weight!!

Sooo proud of myself today!! So far so good! Will post soon. Also, enjoying my afternoon/evening tea.

Medical update: I still have pain because I still have sutures. He was surprised I still have a lot and dang was that a painful exam! I asked about the dry patches that have me gouging my skin since the operation. I currently have a mass of scratching abrasions that have bled on my foot but I have had this at my knees, arm, thigh.. it moves. Anyhow, I use the benedryl, prescription anti-itch and am slathering it with bag balm because its antiseptic (the doc laughed) and yet still itchy as hell!! He is suggesting I get my thyroid checked. I have had my thyroid checked in the past and it has been fine. I asked if surgery can affect it, he said he doesn't know. Grrr... Anywhoo.. My restricted weight is up to 20-25 pounds but still take it easy and back off when in pain. The ovary-less pain, he said could be scar tissue or not. They are checking for a bladder infection and seeing if I need a CT from there. However, I am clear to go back to work on Thursday!
                  I have thyroid issues. Being on estrogen replacement increases my need for more meds.

The reason for this is estrogen found in BC pills and HRT increases thyroid binding proteins in the blood. So while someone can have adequate "total" thyroid hormones (bound and unbound) more of these totals are bound, by the increased binding proteins, and unusable by the body. Free hormones(unbound/usable amount) can be low in this case.

In your case I would suggest you do have your thyroid checked. Just make sure to get all necessary tests so that you have a complete picture. The tests I would ask for:
                  1. TSH
                  2. Total T4
                  3. Free T4
                  4. Total T3
                  5. Free T3
                  6. Thyroid antibodies - TPOab , TgAb

Comment

• Originally posted by marcadav View Post
                    I have thyroid issues. Being on estrogen replacement increases my need for more meds.

The reason for this is estrogen found in BC pills and HRT increases thyroid binding proteins in the blood. So while someone can have adequate "total" thyroid hormones (bound and unbound) more of these totals are bound, by the increased binding proteins, and unusable by the body. Free hormones(unbound/usable amount) can be low in this case.

In your case I would suggest you do have your thyroid checked. Just make sure to get all necessary tests so that you have a complete picture. The tests I would ask for:
                    1. TSH
                    2. Total T4
                    3. Free T4
                    4. Total T3
                    5. Free T3
                    6. Thyroid antibodies - TPOab , TgAb
                    Thank you so much! This information is useful. I like the fact if I have to go see a doc, I can go armed with information. I have been on estrogen for almost a month now following a total Hyst. With all the research I have done about hyst and estrogen, I have not heard much about the thyroid in connection. I will make an appointment.
                    Karin

Comment

• Todays food:

B: 2 eggs with 2 oz of sausage, grapefruit, 2 coffee with 3T each of cream
                      L: tuna salad with 1T mayo, dill relish on lettuce leaves, cherry peppers and sugar free jello
                      S: pot of tea that I have enjoyed through the evening.. I meant to make a protein shake but spaced it
                      D: pork chop, green beans with butter and a green salad with mush, garden onions and cukes. dressing was 2g fat
                      S: Made mini pumpkin pies (1 1/2 c pumpkin, .25c cream, spices and 1 egg) with whipped cream.. so good. Ate one.

I am determined that should I need to eat tonight.. I will make a cup of tea or have a mini pumpkin pie.

day 5.jpg

I tracked my fat and its @70-80g. I count 10 fruits and veggies today!!
                      Karin

Comment

• awesome day! 70 to 80g of fat is about what I get when I track too. My carbs are usually about 50 to 75g, protein I always get at least 125g usually about 175g. The tea makes a huge difference in how I feel daily. Congrats.
                        Chris
                        Unknown

Comment

• I did not track my protein and am not sure if its where it should be. I am sure its a bit low.
                          Karin

Comment

• Day 5 and 6 thankfulness

Day 5: Coffee! I need to be thankful for this lovely luxury.

Day 6: I am thankful for this bunch of geezers at the local diner that can start your day on a chuckle.

PB040002.jpgPB050002.jpg
                            Karin

Comment

• I like your table cloth!

How fun, do the guys do breakfast every morning?
                              Chris
                              Unknown

Comment

• Oh yes.. they are there EVERY morning. They play jokes on each other and harass the waitress who is a friend of mine. Crazy ol coots!

Day 7 thankfulness: My Jillyboo. She is a cuddle bug. Unfortunately she has had a tummy bug and we just got home from the vet. 2 shots later and she is sleepy.

1107120911.jpg
                                Karin

Comment

Working...
                                X