No announcement yet.

The Journey begins with me

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks. The ingredient list online didn't BUT it looked like there were several different formulas as one ingredient list actually had 'evaporated cane juice' as an ingredient (how can they not know that people who read ingredients recognize that immediately as sugar?)

Cool that Matt checked up on you! I had Jeff add a sentence into one of the return emails (he ended the sentence with 'J') they seem truly interested in what they are doing. Really wish their book would go mainstream. But it is not the "super fast results with no work" magic pill that the general public is looking for.
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• Goals:

Overall: To increase vitality physically and mentally in order to sustain a life of energy.

Weightloss goals: Starting 10/30 I will weigh myself daily and measure weekly

1st hurdle: To weigh what I weighed during my pregnancy (I lost weight) 290 lbs.
      2nd hurdle: To weigh what I weighed in college 250 lbs
      3rd hurdle: To weigh what I weighed in high school 200 lbs.
      4th hurdle: To continue to a healthy weight between 150-180 lbs (this will be narrowed the closer I get)

SPEED goals:
      S: (Sleep) To sleep 7-9 hours/night. In bed at 8pm and up at 5am.
      P: (Psychology) To set time aside for prayer and studying the word of God.
      E: (Exercise) lift heavy things 1-2x/week, play 1-2x/week, begin essential movements
      E: (Environment) I will eat breakfast and lunch alone with no distractions and dinner with the family with no distractions (distractions, book, tv, computer)
      D: (Diet) 1610-1759 cal/day: Protein 170g/day 681 calories 39%, Carbs 50g/day 200 calories 11%, Fat 98g/day 881 calories 50% (edited 10/25)
      Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

Comment

• re-reading some of the book, I think my numbers were a bit off so I recalculated, providing for more fat.

As for the speed goals:

S: doing ok on sleep but this morning was exhausted waking up. I wonder if my body is catching up on sleep lost while I was sick
        P: not doing as much as I should
        E: not doing as much as I should
        E: usually eating breakfast and lunch alone
        D: modified today adding more fat. This goal seems to make getting my protein easier.
        Karin

Comment

• Originally posted by athomeontherange View Post
          Goals:

Overall: To increase vitality physically and mentally in order to sustain a life of energy.

Weightloss goals: Starting 10/30 I will weigh myself daily and measure weekly

1st hurdle: To weigh what I weighed during my pregnancy (I lost weight) 290 lbs.
          2nd hurdle: To weigh what I weighed in college 250 lbs
          3rd hurdle: To weigh what I weighed in high school 200 lbs.
          4th hurdle: To continue to a healthy weight between 150-180 lbs (this will be narrowed the closer I get)

SPEED goals:
          S: (Sleep) To sleep 7-9 hours/night. In bed at 8pm and up at 5am.
          P: (Psychology) To set time aside for prayer and studying the word of God.
          E: (Exercise) lift heavy things 1-2x/week, play 1-2x/week, begin essential movements
          E: (Environment) I will eat breakfast and lunch alone with no distractions and dinner with the family with no distractions (distractions, book, tv, computer)
          D: (Diet) 1610-1759 cal/day: Protein 170g/day 681 calories 39%, Carbs 50g/day 200 calories 11%, Fat 98g/day 881 calories 50% (edited 10/25)
          These are good goals!

I would personally advise you to listen to your body instead of calculating how much fat you need.

Numbers don't mean ANYTHING to your body and fat burning cells. Excercise does!

Tweak what you're doing by using your body's natural feedback systems.

The best way to get the fat you need is to just cook with it. Eat fatty foods cooked in fat and your ratios will always be fine.
          Blag: The FPSJosh01 Ego Experience
          Follow me on google+
          Superraw: the Autism Buster blag
          "Don't spread the word, spread the butter"

Comment

• Karin, your goals look great! My only thought on the weight loss goals is that you might want some smaller intermittent ones so you don't get discouraged in the time span it will take to lose 40 or 50 pounds.

on the Sleep...you probably did lose quality sleep and therefore the body needs to catch up. I am sure if you keep close to your schedule your body will catch up soon.

on the Psychology...what it you tried an audio version of the Bible or prayer meditation type book. Then you could listen to it in the car while driving or even as you were falling asleep at night (I listen to a sleep meditation as I fall asleep and it really helps my quality of sleep-2 fold use!)

on the Environment...this one seems to be the hardest one for me to change. I have gotten so used to the distractions. However, I prepare my plate of food for each meal - weighed and measured when needed - and do not go back for more. Lately I end up tossing a bite or 2! No more clean plate club for me.

on the Exercise...my doc told me yesterday if I would walk every day, trying to get my pedometer to 10,000 eventually, and do a slow meditative sun salutation yoga once a day for flexibility and strength, that this would likely sustain me for life. The sun salutation includes a push up and plank -so I want to do that 5 days-, which will help so that I could get to a point where I can do the 5 essential movements, which I plan to do once a week. and this will give me a day off, well except for the walking which I plan to do every day. (remember that according to both Mark and the SPEED guys, diet is 80% of weight loss, exercise is 20% and really more important for maintenance and general well being).

on the Diet, your numbers look much more reasonable. The only time I add fat to my cooking is when my protein source is a low fat source ie. fish-at lunch I eat salmon so I add an avocado.

I am slowly re-reading the SPEED book, your diet numbers are very close to mine I may need to do some cutting back.

p.s. Matt just wrote to congratulate me on reaching my second goal and making it through vacation on task!

p.s.s. here is a link to the sun salutation in case you are interested...http://www.total-yoga.org/blog/wp-co...a-Namaskar.jpg
            Chris
            "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
            Unknown

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• My hope is that as I lose.. between goals, my clothes will really show it. Thats kind of incentive to me Also, I have new clothes.. never worn because they didn't fit but THEY WILL!!

Thanks for the Sun Salutation website! I am going to attempt to move my fat ass through this every morning- starting tomorrow. Its been a while since I have done yoga. Now though since I do not eat grains.. I wont fart every time I change position! I would say thats a plus! LMAO

I got another email from Matt.. checking in on me. I am to check in at the end of the week to let him know my progress and how well my body is getting back in line. What am I going to do when my month of coaching is done????
              Karin

Comment

• I am not sure he will abandon you/us, but we have each other!

I need numbers on a scale to see progress. My skirts have elastic waists, way too much give. Although they are getting longer.

I will try to start the sun salutation tomorrow as well.

Doc called and I am extremely iron deficiency anemic (are we surprised?), so when I start to feel better, hopefully in the next day or two, I will start back to my morning walk, or maybe do the sun salutation in the morning and walk after dinner. That is dangerous though as I usually look for excuses late in the day.
                Chris
                Unknown

Comment

• True.. it helps when we are doing the same plan!!

On a plus side: My pants are getting longer!!

Did the Doc give you an iron rx?
                  Karin

Comment

• no I take "Ferrous Fumerate". The problem with taking it 3 times a day is that iron is not absorbed when taken with calcium (I have yogurt for breakfast), and the body can only absorb so much at once (I generally eat a burger or other high iron meat for dinner). Also there have been a few recent studies that show that we don't absorb oral vitamins. I think, I will continue to do what I do but add the iron at lunch, and as long as TTOM holds off I will be fine. Otherwise I likely need an iron injection, straight to the blood, bypass the intestinal tract.

for some reason I have gained the past 2 days - up 4 pounds from my low this week. I am sure it is just a reaction to stopping the diuretic. Food has not changed, although movement was way down yesterday.
                    Chris
                    Unknown

Comment

• Ok.. so i weighed and back over 300 by a few (dang it). I think its BM issues- I KNOW I am not eating enough veggies. Also, big DUH moment from reading Chris's journal, for the last 2 days I have not taken my diuretic. Ok.. THAT would make a difference. I noticed my ankles for the past two days and had a WTF moment. Did not sleep well last night.. in bed at 9pm awake at 3:30am- not enough!! On top of that was a strange dream about getting married accidently to a stranger (nope did not even know his name- but I was sober as usual). Ugh.. maybe lesson to me not to have berries and cream before bed??

So.. on to today's food

B: 1 c yogurt, 2 hard boiled eggs, 2 c coffee with heavy cream (going to see how I do with @ 20 g protein and 31g fat does for morning and soon I get hungry)
                      L: TBD (look for later edit)
                      D: Bacon wrapped chicken livers and salad and radishes, coffee with cream

Oh meant to do the yoga sun thing.. forgot my instructions at work. So.. putting that paper in my purse for tomorrow. Maybe I will walk a little around my property this evening. I need to move a pile of firewood.. sounds pretty primal to me.

10am- starting to feel empty.. not starving but do not think breakfast is holding. Good thing lunch is in an hour.
                      Last edited by athomeontherange; 10-26-2011, 06:22 PM. Reason: 10am edit and dinner edit
                      Karin

Comment

• full fat yogurt? I am bouncing between full fat and 2%. 2% has much more protein, but full fat tastes sooooo much better. Been on 2% this week, switching back to full next week.

I am still woozy from yesterday, decided to wait a day for the yoga. doing it tomorrow! may walk tonight, but probably not, as it is Wednesday night dinner at church and that usually means we get home around 8, and then we watch Mythbusters (one thing we all enjoy) then I go to bed.

2 days without a diuretic is probably getting past 5 pounds if you really need it!
                        Chris
                        Unknown

Comment

• Originally posted by demuralist View Post

2 days without a diuretic is probably getting past 5 pounds if you really need it!
                          ?? I am not sure I can come off of it.. I do not plan to go back to the dr for a med check until January. I do know my body holds liquid like no bodies business!
                          Karin

Comment

• yep, some people really need them. For me, I retain water intermittently, for no apparent reason, whether or not I am on the diuretic. In other words it doesn't seem to matter what I eat or where I am in my cycle or if I am taking the pills regularly. Of course if I kept closer track I could probably figure it out. But they put me on it to help lower my blood pressure, and when I went this week she had trouble finding it and it was 100/60, so it was time for me to come off the diuretic. I am guessing my body will have some adjusting to do.
                            Chris
                            Unknown

Comment

• Originally posted by demuralist View Post
                              full fat yogurt? I am bouncing between full fat and 2%. 2% has much more protein, but full fat tastes sooooo much better. Been on 2% this week, switching back to full next week.

I am still woozy from yesterday, decided to wait a day for the yoga. doing it tomorrow! may walk tonight, but probably not, as it is Wednesday night dinner at church and that usually means we get home around 8, and then we watch Mythbusters (one thing we all enjoy) then I go to bed.

The health food store down the road has 14% fat yogurt. It has a cream top- incredible!
                              Karin

Comment

• Today's stats:

Calories 1670
                                Fat: 120 g (should be @ 93g so a bit high)
                                Carbs: 20g (should be @ 50g so a bit low)
                                Protein: 120g (should be @ 170g also a bit low)

craaaaap! I feel like I am cooking a recipe I can not get right. Had a late meeting so did not get the dang firewood moved.. ah well, there is always the weekend. its a 3 dayer this weekend.. whoohoo.
                                Karin

Comment

Working...
                                X