No announcement yet.

Making a difference

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HB - good job on the hike! Glad to hear the recovery has been easy for you too. Enjoy the camping, looking forward to hearing how things went.
    Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it. - Ferris Bueller

JpGrok Journal

Comment

Camping was totally awesome......right up until our 50 pound dog decided to join us in the middle of night and jumped right onto the family jewels. WOW!! I had no idea she could fly that far! My poor hubby.

The dogs and I did lots of hiking above the campground and down by the water. A tired dog is a happy dog and they don't mooch quite as much while I am cooking. I just felt rejuvenated because it was only a couple of miles. Granted, there was some up and down to it but it felt nice to stretch my muscles. This is the first time that I have felt this great after a really long hike. I hope it wasn't a fluke because my favorite time to hike is fall/winter/spring. The cooler, the colder, the wetter, the better!

I am glad that we were able to get away and relax because our kitchen teardown (which we are doing) just got bumped up to this week. Yikes! Time to empty out the fridge/freezer and figure out how to cook with the kitchen torn up. Crockpot meals, here I come!
      Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Random thought -
        Why am I worried about what that damn scale says??? All of the hiking I do and all of the RPR's are making my lungs, heart, bones and muscles stronger and healthier. Isn't that more important than numbers on a scale? Yes, I have some pudge that I am dealing with but while I am dealing with hormonal issues is not the time to try for "perfection"! What is perfection, anyway? I have a strong relationship with my husband, like who I am and the direction my life has gone. I am looking forward to the next forty plus years and trying all sorts of new things. Isn't PMA much more important than "perfection"??

Comment

So, I have spent the morning in coveralls flat on my back underneath the laundry room insulating between the floor joists. Please tell me that squiggling around on my back while holding my arms perpendicular to my body while wielding a stapler is considered primal exercise. Boy, if it isn't it sure should be. Thankfully I am out of insulation until DH goes and gets more. Heading inside for girlie time now........laundry, dishes.........not fun but totally necessary.

Dinner? I'm supposed to think about dinner, too?!

Comment

how did I miss this thread? Like it!

Comment

I should not have looked in the mirror when I got out of the shower. Now I am discouraged all over again. Oh, well. Big long hike coming up on Wednesday to the top of a 6200' mountain.

Random thought- why does the image you have of yourself in your head never match what you see in photographs?

Comment

It's like when you see a friend's face in the mirror and they look different. Then you realise that you only ever see yourself in the mirror and wonder what you look like to everyone else. The truth is that it doesn't really matter.

The image in our minds keeps us on our goals despite what we see in photos. I see a lean, muscular guy with low body fat in my mind 'cause that's the guy I'm going to be.

Good luck with the climb: what's the vertical ascent? Is is a one day climb?
                Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it. - Ferris Bueller

JpGrok Journal

Comment

I have never done this mountain before but the lady who is taking me does a different summit (or more!) every week. It can't be too technical as I have no climbing experience nor the gear for it. That doesn't mean I don't want to do difficult climbs, just that I am smart enough to know that I shouldn't if I don't have the skills for it. We'll be doing it as a dayhike.

Toward the Mountain Top, Inch by Inch

This is the lady I am going with. As you can see, she is hardcore and wouldn't get me into a situation above and beyond me. This will be our first hike together so we'll be checking out the compatibility factor. I'm a fall/winter/spring hiker, she has weekdays off. I have a flexible schedule and she'll gain an off-season hiking partner. Never mind that I'm 22 years older than she is. I won't be embarrasing myself!

Comment

Originally posted by honeybuns View Post
                    I should not have looked in the mirror when I got out of the shower. Now I am discouraged all over again. Oh, well. Big long hike coming up on Wednesday to the top of a 6200' mountain.

Random thought- why does the image you have of yourself in your head never match what you see in photographs?
                    Isn't it awful? In my mind, I'm already one hot Mama. Granted, I look much better than I did a year ago. My husband recently took some photos of me after a hair and make up session with my niece. I said "What is wrong with your camara? It makes me look so fat" He said "Well, you are still over 200 lbs" Then he saw the death in my eyes and tried to back track. I said "Really?, Thanks."
                    Primal since 9/24/2010
                    "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
                    MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Comment

Originally posted by Pebbles67 View Post
                      Isn't it awful? In my mind, I'm already one hot Mama."
                      Well, in photos you ARE one hot Momma. Pebbles!

Husbands can be pretty clueless, sometimes. Mine must have had a death wish the day he compared me to a beached whale!

Comment

OMG. Death Wish indeed!
                        Primal since 9/24/2010
                        "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
                        MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Comment

Really feeling like crap right now. Darn medicine! I am right in the middle of tearing off all of the sheetrock in the kitchen and I don't want to stop!! There is something strangely satisfying about the smash, rip, tear of it all. The cleanup? Not so much.

I'm going to change the way I am eating. Higher protein, moderate fat, low carbs ala Paleobird. With all of the miles I am walking I shouldn't have saddlebags. I know the meds could have some effect, but what is going to hurt to make sure I am getting enough protein and am not taking in too many (or too few, more likely) calories?

Because my kitchen is all torn up and the range hasn't been reconnected, I had leftovers for breakfast while DH had toast with jelly. His comment? "This just doesn't taste good, there is no flavor". Yay! He's learning!

Comment

HB - I'm sure it'll be a great climb. I love the mountains and used to be a regular climber until kids and business got in the way. Can't wait to hear how you go. Good luck with the kitchen too!
                            Last edited by JpGrok; 08-22-2011, 03:48 AM. Reason: Pressed send by accident.

JpGrok Journal

Comment

Originally posted by JpGrok View Post
                              I love the mountains and used to be a regular climber until kids and business got in the way.
                              Kids and business may be in the way now, but you'll get back to it. I was a backpacker from a very young age. I remember a weeklong backpacking trip in the Olympics that we did as a family. Mom, Dad and six kids under the age of ten. We all had packs and responsibilities. The love for hiking/backpacking never left even though I had an almost forty year break from it. Any way you can start introducing your kids to what you love to do?

Comment

Random thoughts on clothing-

Yesterday I put on a pair of stretchy pants that fit me way better than they used to. I was feeling pretty good until I saw myself in a mirror. All those pants did was hug and highlight all of the remaining fat pockets. Sort of a second skin kind of a thing. YUCK. I felt really negative about myself the rest of the day.

Today I have on a pair of pants that used to be tight and are now really loose. I feel terrific and don't have a negative self-image. Amazing how that works. Moral of the story? Don't rush it when downsizing your clothing. Mirrors are your worst enemy AND your best friend. Don't avoid them.

Comment

Working...
                                X