No announcement yet.

Making a difference

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You know, I never could take wiener-dogs (okay, Dachshunds) seriously (I really think it was all those pecker-dragging-in-the-snow jokes I heard as a kid from the Army Sargeant dad and his buddies since my childhood neighbors had Dachshunds), but you have one phenomenal photo there. Those eyes are awesome and the coloring of her coat against the cobalt blue of your top is just perfect. When I look at that photo, I can almost see a large intelligence and will there. Is she a big personality in reality?

Ugh - that is why I don't get on scales unless the doctor makes me. I go by the "are my freshly-washed clothes roomier or not?" scale. I'm with RaeVynn on this one.

I have no experience with cancer patients (I thank Heaven for that), but wow - what awful news. I'll send up some prayers for all of you.

I perhaps missed this in your journal, but where are you getting these dogs for fostering? Just curious. (Dogs are cool, but I do cats - my lifestyle is better for felines still) And did you know that "Dachs" is a German word that means "badger"?
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Comment

• We foster through Seattle Purebred Dog Rescue. We are volunteers and do a lot of transporting. Having owned Doberman Pinschers for almost forty years we are very familiar with the things that make this breed unique. Heidi is a smaller Doberman and it is funnier than heck to see her pin my very large Doberman to the ground. He's twice her size and weight!

Here they are after a particularly enthusiastic play session. Don't they look innocent?! From left to right....Tabitha (blue) Heidi (black) and Moose (fawn).
      Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

• This is too cool not to share! Yesterday afternoon a couple of my hubby's buddy's stopped by. We haven't seen these guys in a few years. He's known these men almost 40 years (longer than he's known me!) and they are both in their mid 50's, DH is 66. Always before he was the heaviest guy. It made him feel really great about everything to realize that he is now the fit and trim one and they are both hefty. Score one for the team!!

Comment

• [QUOTE=honeybuns;948867]We foster through Seattle Purebred Dog Rescue. We are volunteers and do a lot of transporting. Having owned Doberman Pinschers for almost forty years we are very familiar with the things that make this breed unique. Heidi is a smaller Doberman and it is funnier than heck to see her pin my very large Doberman to the ground. He's twice her size and weight!QUOTE]

Incredible! I actually did a Bing search before I posted to find pictures of Dachshunds just to be sure that I had the breed right, and here is a Doberman... seriously, thanks for not calling me an idiot! There are pics online of Dachs with black coats and exactly that face, complete with the tan spots above the eyes.

My best friend takes in rescue German Shepherds, my brother-in-law breeds Siberian Huskies, and my second best friend (I have 2 BFFs) has a love of Weimaraners, which she send out to the Dakotas each summer for training. The Weimaraner lady is good friends with the photographer William Wegman, who is mostly known for his photos of Weimaraners dressed in clothing. I really like to go to the brother-in-law's house, freeze to death (house is kept COLD for them), and listen to the Husky pack woo-wooo-wooooo , although it does scare the daughters, as they aren't used to it. While I was growing up, I wanted a Collie more than anything else. Now, I really fall hard for the Altdeutsche Schaeferhund (Old German Shepherd - the old strain still to be found in Germany) if I come across one. Sigh. And once, here is TinyTown Ohio, I came across a truck in the local pharmacy parking lot with not 1, not 2, not 3 - but 5 not-quite-grown St. Bernards (and their married owners)! Of course, I had to chat them up - they were sweet (the dogs and the owners), and let me pet them for a very long spell before they had to go. I really enjoyed that - they were beautiful canines, well taken care of and very happy animals.

Ha ha - yes, the puppies look sweet, in the same way that a pack of children do when they are sleeping... :0

Re hubby and the buddies - as the Germans would say after a soccer goal - TOR!!!
          I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Comment

• The way she is laying in that picture, I can see why you thought she was a Dachshund!

The first of the locally grown winter squash has hit the market. I am a happy camper!

Comment

• Gorgeous dogs! Happy thoughts for your husband.
              Depression Lies

Comment

• Thanks, everybody!

Today's exercise will be digging up the septic tank. Not a good thing when you plunge the toilet and it backs up into the tub and shower!!

Comment

• You gotta love being fat adapted. This morning I had three eggs with some coconut oil, shoveled most of the day (damn septic tank!). Here it is 5pm and, not only did I have plenty of energy today, I am not in the slightest bit hungry!!

Comment

• Okay, all this septic tank digging can stop any time. Fortunately the problem is not a busted pipe but roots working their way in on a aging tank. Not the tank itself but where the pipe goes into the tank inlet. I am not chopping down the trees so we'll have to figure out what it will take to fix this. In the meantime, I am left with big piles of dirt and big holes in the ground. Thankfully there is no rain in the forecast for the next week or so. Not looking forward to shoveling all of that dirt back in. Did I mention that I want to be a girl??

Comment

• It must be bad if you're thankful for no rain!

Septic tanks are no fun when they go awry! A friend in Idaho had to completely replace the one at their cabin, which involved some rock excavation. The cabin is off the grid with no road access (boat across Lake Pend Orielle), so the tools are very limited. So at least be glad you just have to dig up dirt!

Can you pull/chop/remove the roots from the area around the tank, and then put in some kind of root-impermeable liner (geotextile fabric or plastic?) around the tank and inlet?
                      My Primal Journal

Comment

• I think we'll end up replacing the old inlet with an ABS one as well putting an impervious liner. The roots did not cause the damage but they did take advantage of it by seeking the path of least resistance. I won't be cutting those giant old trees down, I'll tell you. Well, crap, if you'll excuse the pun.

Comment

• Sometimes people miss the whole point of changing what you eat.

I am very glad my sister has lost forty pounds. She still has a fair amount to go and I have talked Primal with her in the past. She is the sort of person who will jump on whatever bandwagon comes along. Fine, but you would lose a lot more than forty pounds if you stopped dumping so much sugar in each cup of coffee. If you have to sweeten it that much to drink it than you really do not like coffee and should drink tea instead. "Oh, so you stopped eating grains. Whole grains are still okay though because they are good for you, right?" FINE. It is working for DH and I and that is all we are going to concern ourselves with.

Comment

• Originally posted by honeybuns View Post
                            The thing that I think is absolute nonsense is the thinking that menopausal women are going to get fat and there is nothing that they can do about it. BULL!!! Accept it or fight it every step of the way? Hmmm...let me think....no brainer! If I don't feel old on the inside why should I accept being old on the outside?? PMA is such a strong influence on life, I think. My nephew is 32, former Marine, and keeps telling me that I will never be old because no one else's aunts climb trees. I really want to take him up hiking in the high country but he is afraid he won't be able to keep up. Dang! If I feel this good already, how am I going to feel now that I no longer eat grains?
                            Probably doesn't hurt that I am a country girl and am stubborn like my Mom.
                            Absolutely agree! Thanks for posting your experiences, they are quite inspiring as I start my journey.
                            Will definitely be watching your journal! :]
                            “Never let the perfect be the enemy of the good”. - Popular translation of Voltaire

If you are honest with your lacks, BE honest with your abundance, as well.

"....the route finding part, and dead reckoning - figure out where I need to be and how to get there, then stay on target as I move over the land and through the forest."
                            - Originally Posted by Meant2Move

Comment

• Heidi the foster dog has a family with three kids very interested in her. They live on the Oregon Coast. While I should be very happy for her, and I am, I cannot help but be sad because she is such a personality! She could have a very wonderful life with this family and it sounds like she would be doted on. Cross your fingers for her!

As far as any progress on my body composition I do have to say that while I thought not much was happening, my fat pads on my hips are the only thing that is not visibly reducing so there are changes going on, just subtle ones. Abdominal fat has decreased, pants are looser in the legs. When Heidi gets her forever home the RPR's resume in earnest which will restore my soul and hopefully tone things up. I know, wish in one hand.........I need to stop worrying about it and just live my life.

Comment

• It turns out that the man who wants to adopt Heidi is the curator of marine mammals at the Oregon Coast Aquarium in Newport!!! What a cool job. Oh, he also hikes the Olympic Mountains which are in my neck of the woods. FUN! Heidi loves being outdoors so it could be a great fit.

We are taking the day off from septic tank stuff tomorrow and jumping back into it fresh on Monday (not the tank, silly). Right now we are finally at the sealing of gaps stage. Monday starts the putting risers on the cleanouts so I never have to dig again followed by shoveling all the dirt back into where we just dug it out of. I think my mental mantra will be something along the lines of Building Muscle, Burning Fat. Repeat with every shovelful.

Comment

Working...
                                X