Making a difference

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by drssgchic View Post
    Pumpkin and maple ice cream? *sticks fingers in ears* I can't hear you! Weight loss, weight loss! That recipe just couldn't be fair.
    Make it Paleo recipe - I was looking to actually cut the sugar grams in order to make it even healthier. I mean the rest of the recipe is eggs, pumpkin and coconut milk - how bad is that?
    Diver Girl goes Primal Journal

Comment

• Originally posted by NorCalGirlDiver View Post
      Make it Paleo recipe - I was looking to actually cut the sugar grams in order to make it even healthier. I mean the rest of the recipe is eggs, pumpkin and coconut milk - how bad is that?
      Oh. Ooooh. I'm going to have to look this up . . . I need to eat more veggies. No reason not to do so in icecream

And maple syrup is just good. My parents have been making it the last few years. It gives them an idiot-proof gift any time they go somewhere. I mean, who turns down real maple syrup? And it gave Dad an excuse to figure out how to make a wicked hot stove for cooking it down.
      http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

Originally Posted by TheFastCat: Less is more more or less

And now I have an Etsy store: CattailsandCalendula

Comment

• Oh, good! I'm glad the coconut sugar worked for you. It is going to be a staple in my pantry now.

I am really enjoying alternative ingredients. I've used arrowroot flour twice now for thickening stews and it is incredible! I'll be using it from here on out. Next up is using tapioca flour for thickener in fruit pies. I am very lucky that the natural foods place near me has an incredible bulk selection and I can get just a little bit to see if I like something. If I had to buy a big thing of something new I probably wouldn't even try it.

Even though I am feeling much more like myself, every time I try to do something that I've always done my abdomen swells up again. Crap. This is getting old. I LIKE raking leaves!!!
        Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

• I have been using potato starch to thicken soups and sauces. It has very little flavor and I use about half as much as the flour I am replacing. Is there anything negative about potato starch? I originally bought it for a gluten free bread recipe so I have a good size container of it.
          Diver Girl goes Primal Journal

Comment

• The only negative I can think of is that it is a starch and a carb. As long as you don't go overboard with it, I think you'll be fine.

One thing I like about the arrowroot flour is that I can stir it right in without lumps. Never could do that with all-purpose flour. Hey!! I might actually be able to manage a lump-free gravy finally!

Comment

• I really like tapioca flour, it's more heat-resistant than arrowroot. I just dissolve it in a little water before adding it to stuff
              Cooking Primal with Otter - Journal
              Otter's (Defunct) Primal Log
              "Not baked goods, Professor, baked bads!" ~ The Tick

Comment

• Well, I do have both in the cupboard. I'll give the tapioca flour a try in the next stew. I did use it in a blackberry pie and the only problem was operator error. I used half of what I should have. DUH. I do not know why. It was still very tasty and we just called it cobbler instead.

Comment

• It has been six months since I started this lifestyle. I cannot report massive weight loss like some people but i am okay with that. I can breathe, my belly fat is pretty much gone and DH lost close to 30 pounds. This medical stuff has the scale going up, down, up, down, up........... Instead of getting discouraged I need to remind myself that I am not putting weight back on like I thought I would be with going from an extremely active lifestyle to an extremely sedentary one lately. Once the doc releases me from restrictions and I can resume an active lifestyle we'll see what happens. If nothing else, I will be extremely happy.

I miss RPR's.

Comment

• And remind yourself that the sedintary thing is probably going to be shorter since you're not contstantly re-inflaming yourself every time you eat. Just every time you rake leaves I bet you'll be back to RPRs in relativly no time.
                    http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

Comment

• Every time I rake leaves and do everything else I am not supposed to as far as reaching, bending, twisting.....hey, all he told me was don't lift over ten pounds and no crawling under the house until December. My post-op appointment is tomorrow. Shall I let him scold me? Care to guess whether or not I'll get in trouble??
                      Update tomorrow. Dang, I hope he releases me from restrictions. The progress of my kitchen is depending on it!

Comment

• As long as you're following his rules, there's no way he can get away with scolding you. Not your fault he wasn't sufficiently specific. *crosses fingers* for a good update!

Comment

• I bet he'll be amazed by your recovery progress, you'll be under the house in no time!
                          Cooking Primal with Otter - Journal
                          Otter's (Defunct) Primal Log
                          "Not baked goods, Professor, baked bads!" ~ The Tick

Comment

• So funny you should say that! I just crawled out from under the house!! Back under again tomorrow but some very important wiring issues will be done.

So the only restriction I have is to not lift over 15 pounds up until Christmas. This is so the stitches on the internal abdominal wall don't pop and allow the bowels to escape into a hernia. O....kay. Now that I know that is why, I think I will follow doctor's orders a bit better. The good news is that RPR's are no longer off limits, I can get the smaller trees and shrubs planted and I can rake leaves with abandon. WAHOO!!!!

Comment

• Congrats on the reduced restrictions! It's interesting that knowing WHY you aren't allowed to do something helps you be more compliant.

A friend of mine broke her wrist and had to have surgery to repair it. They told her she could do "whatever she wanted" almost immediately after because maintaining the muscle was very important. It turns out that "whatever she wanted" did not include yoga, skiing, or really anything fun. The doctor eventually sat down with my friend and explained the exact types of forces that would cause more damage, so she could better understand what she would be "wanting" to do until it recovered.
                              My Primal Journal

Comment

• So, why can't they tell you this stuff at the very beginning so you know why you shouldn't do something?

The doc did tell me no heavy lifting and I said he would have to be more specific and give me a number as lifting 40 to 60 pounds is my normal, not what I would consider heavy. Hence the 15 pounds.

Back under the house today. Once that is done, we are celebrating!!

Comment

Working...
                                X