No announcement yet.

LittleCircle's Primal Journal

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • LittleCircle's Primal Journal

    Time to step it up a notch and begin the journal I suppose... Not sure why today is the day since I am feeling really lousy. Maybe that is why it is needed.

    My name is Erin and I am 29. My husband, two kids (5 & 7) and I have been Primal for a bit over 3 months. The kiddos and I have Celiac's, so we were already gluten free, but still very unhealthy eaters. Since the switch to Primal, I have been better than 80/20 I am pretty sure. We bought a 1/4 of a grass fed cow from a local farmer, joined a CSA, buy pastured eggs and bacon from the farmers market and all extras come from our local organic grocery. The hubs and I occasionally eat 85% Lindt or a stinky cheese but otherwise we try not to do dairy and the kids are completely dairy free. We do not buy fruit, but it is not forbidden. The CSA throws some our way once in a while and there are berry bushes on our property. I try to limit my consumption as I am having a harder time losing than I would like. I attempt to keep my carbs 0-40 most days. I am trying to give up coffee this week and become a water only girl. I like the carbonated variety. I love diet coke and occasionally give in, but have now stocked up on the seltzer so am trying to say good-bye to that shit.

    I track most days using livestrong. I eat between 1300 - 2000 calories usually. I obviously eat at the lower end when I move less and the higher when I do more. We love food. I love food and my husband is an amazing cook, so we eat quite well.

    As for exercise - I do it, but not Mark's way yet. I set up a treadmill desk and walk hours and hours very s.l.o.w.l.y. pretty much every day. If I do not feel like doing it (like today) then I do not do it. I also rollerskate. Pretty badly if I may say so. I have a secret dream to join the roller derby - so I keep going. I have to get better some day. I would like to do more, but honestly I just feel so heavy. I look forward to the days where I feel lighter. I do still get tired and my feet and ankles hurt a bit often. It's getting better though.

    I sleep well now. I take melatonin, but I sleep soundly and usually get 7-8 hours and take a nap a few times of week. It's a charmed life for sure.

    As for supplementation: a daily and fish oil is all I do.


    Breakfast: none *

    Lunch: skipped *

    Dinner: (eaten in small bowls over the course of a few hours) My quick asian soup recipe which consists of these following ingredients - 1 lb ground beef, 1 cup cabbage, 2 garlic cloves, 3 garlic scapes, 1/4 cup green onion, 1/2 cup arugula,1 egg,1 scoop stevia, 2 tsp fish sauce and 1.5 tsp sesame oil.

    Snack: 1 hardboiled egg

    * Saturdays I work at a very busy salon and always skip breakfast. I usually am to busy rockin' out the hair to eat lunch either, so am puuurrrdddy hungry by the time I make it home at 3:30. I usually eat right then and often times skip the dinner meal. Whatev - it's only Saturdays.

    Exercise: nada.

  • #2
    Welcome. It sounds like you are on the right course. :-) Hope you feel better tomorrow.
    Ancestral Health Info

    I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

    Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.


    • #3
      Ahhh, today is sooo much better. Thanks for the welcome as well I woke up today rearing to go. Made a list and went out grocery shopping with my partners in crime. Picked up lots-o primal goodies. I did end up downing a large coffee on the trip, but it did stomp out the killer headache I was sporting. I spent the rest of the afternoon walking away at the tread desk. It is the most humid day ever and I'm pretty sure I sweated out at least eight pounds - even though I only walk at 1.5 miles per hour... Feeling happy and back to normal!

      Slept: 7 - ish hours. Interesting side note: had a lucid dream in which my dead father came to visit and warn me about a family member who may be on a bad road. Spooked me into texting him at 1:30 am to make sure he was okay and knew I was thinking about him. It was nice to see my Dad though... I love visit dreams.

      breakfast - grass fed ground beef, cabbage, garlic scapes, green onions, arugula and an egg

      lunch - coffee and a bit of cream, some almonds, some shredded coconut.... munchie stuff

      dinner - roasted bell pepper stuffed with ground beef, cabbage, celery, onions, jalapenos and tomatoes

      exercise - walked 5.5 miles over 220 minutes


      • #4
        All is still going pretty well... The family and I had a great day at Michigan's Adventure on Tuesday, a day of rest yesterday and 'back in order' day today. I have been doing well on plan but am experiencing some pain running down the backs of both my legs. I cannot tell if the pain is in the muscle or if it is in the nerves and stemming from my lower back. It isn't so much painful as it is absolutely annoying. I need it to go away. I bought some magnesium and am hoping that helps. No so much yet. It has only been two days however. I am also starting the leptin reset diet tomorrow. I meant to begin today, but skipped lunch and then read that I cannot do that... so, tomorrow it is! I am really hoping this reset will help me with my energy levels as well as kick the weight loss into gear. We shall see. I am going to try to stay within my 1800 calorie range as well just to be on the safe side. I do not think this will be a problem anyhow as the breakfast is quite large and I did not really feel like eating during the day. I am hoping that after eight weeks of not snacking, the habit will be broken. My desire to snack is not from hunger but from boredom. I have to find shit to do.

        Speaking of shit to do - I am not supposed to do any cardio during this eight weeks either. I am guessing my slow walking flies in waaaaay under that label though. I will knock it back to 1 mile an hour (which is as low as it goes) though just in case. I cannot not walk at my tread desk. I would end up just sitting on my ass for hours and hours. I move so slow on that thing it is basically just standing anyway.

        I am going to start to do my weigh-ins on Friday's only as the dailies are really bringing me down. I'll start tomorrow.

        slept: Probably about 7 or eight hours.

        breakfast - 1.5 cups ground beef (50g protein) and one egg

        lunch - nada

        dinner - (Fried Red Snapper sandwich) 5 oz. snapper fried in tallow w/ the skin on, 1 slice of Rivvin's angry bread, homemade ketchup mayo, onion, lettuce and a slice of tomato

        exercise - walked 1 mph for 200 minutes.


        • #5
          Something is finally working... Not sure what it is, but something to be sure. Friday is my weigh in day and the scale reported a 2.2 lb loss overnight and a 3.4 lb loss since last Friday. Woot. This is has not been typical for me. My losses have been ssslllooowww and not so steady. A loss of a 1/2 pound one week was a good week and for sure did not always happen. I am hoping this is the start of more good things to come.

          I started the Leptin reset last Friday and I am sure some aspect of the diet is helping me. The loss is a good motivator because I cannot say that I am exactly enjoying the reset. A large breakfast in the morning almost makes me gag and I have to choke it down daily. It also is a bit of a challenge to get it cooked within a 1/2 hour of waking. The boy and the girl are pretty persistent on getting their breakfasts upon waking also and seeing as I usually am woken by their cherub faces each morn - well, it is a rush to say the least. The great breakfast race. It has been done however - without fail - for one week. So maybe breaking the fast is it and I'm resetting my Leptin and all that jazz. The no snacking could also be it. A challenge at first but now gravy. Giving up coffee could have also done the trick. Truth be told, I began to give up the black goddess a week or so before the reset, but quit trying to struggle last Friday. I hope this is not the reason. I am holding a flame for coffee and was really hoping there was a chance for us when this eight weeks is over. I also made bone broth for the first time this week and have been drinking apple cider vinegar with soda water on occasion when the mood strikes. Probably has nothing to do with anything, but mention it I shall. Possibly noteworthy as well is the lack of exercise that has taken place this week and the ceasing of tracking. I have been quite tired during the day and have not been up to much walking (although I have done some) and have been kicking a cold. The heat has been intense here and being a lay-about is what it is all about. The tracking thing had to be ex-nayed this week as well as it was fucking with my head. Due to the insane breakfast I am required to eat each day, it was quite impossible to not go over my daily calories. So instead of worrying about the crazy amount of calories I am shoveling in, I just stopped noting them.

          One last idea. It could just be my time. I have been at this thing for awhile now and with the exception of large losses in the first 2 weeks, have been barely losing. I have followed this way of eating very closely and have done a lot of slow moving. I understand that the scale means squat - and I may even chuck it as I get closer to goal - but at this weight it HAS to go down. I can not be healthy at this weight no matter how much muscle I put on or how many inches are being lost. The scale has to move in a down direction for me to have success. Now might be that moment where all my previous efforts are starting to show. Who knows. What a crapshoot.


          • #6
            You're making great progress
            Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!

            Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
            CW: 146.8 lbs
            GW 140 lbs
            A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals


            • #7
              Hopefully you have broken through your plateau. I'm sure the weight will come off if you hang in there.
              Ancestral Health Info

              I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

              Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.


              • #8
                Wow. It has been an outrageously long time since I have posted on this blog. It is really too bad. I wonder if I would have made any further progress if I had kept with the documentation? Oh well. Just move on I suppose. Today is a day of re commitment and a time of letting the past go. Yesterday I turned 30. Every birthday I think I take a bit of time to reflect on the past year and set forth new goals for myself. I have always thought that birthdays were a much better time to do so than New Year's and the collective feeling of failure that hangs in the air at that time. This year however I begin a new decade. It feels like such a fresh start. Last year - the last in my 20's run - I made a promise to myself that I would be the healthiest I have ever been in my adult life by the time I reached 30. I can honestly say that I made that desire come true. I am not the thinnest I have ever been - but as we all know there is o-so-much more to health than being thin. I began my journey last November a hair above 250 and have shed a large chunk out of that. I still have far to travel, but the journey is much more comfortable at this size. I had not been eating wheat at the beginning due to Celiac's, but I still managed to eat a fair amount of shit. The shit is out. The meat and greens are in. The biggest change I made however is that I gave up the over consumption of libations. My husband nor I have had a drink in almost a year and my world has been forever changed for the better. The combination of all the changes has made my world a much brighter place to live.

                There has been a slip as of late however. I have not gone off the plan by any means.... but more nuts, more fruits, more dairy, more, more, more..... I feel the slippage. It is time to refresh. Step back and reclaim what I want for myself and my family. I show my children how to treat themselves. What is it that I want reflected?

                I am reading Mark's new book. I cannot make myself read the original again. It is great and all, but I just cannot do it. I will unveil my plan of action within the next few days - but for now I can absolutely say this: I need to get more involved in this community. I need to post to this blog and be accountable. I need to read through other posts and relate to more people out there who are on the same page as I am. I need to find some real - live people in my community who eat, live and play the way that my family and I do. They must be out there. I am so lucky that my husband and children are grok-fast as well, but we need more like-minded folk friends and less constant opposition. I will make that happen. 30 is going to be awesome.


                • #9
                  My darling husband is an awesome chef. He manages a great Latin restaurant and has been in the food biz for about 18 years. He cooks great food and makes this way of eating really easy and delicious. He gardens organically in the summer, hunts in the fall, smokes and cures much of our grass fed eats that we buy from local farmers. The curing has become a passion for him and the kids and I are reaping the benefits. I feel so spoiled now however that I almost hate going out to eat. I always feel so disappointed in the crap I am served or how my steaks are prepared. The meat is so inferior to the grass fed variety that I can barely stomach it. It just feels like I am tossing cash out the window. I cannot be alone in this... I used to love eating out - and I still love the companionship, but the rest is just a huge let down.

                  Anyhoo... I am not let down here at home. I tend to eat one big meal-o-meat around lunch time and then do a small dinner with the kids later on. Today I did a culmination of all the marvelous meats Troy has been working on as of late:

                  meat bowl | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

                  Who knew about Lardo? What a freaking great way to get fat that is. Pretty sure it is going to be my new secret weapon.


                  • #10
                    It is way to early to be awake. Today is day two of hunting season for my husband - which makes it day two for me, the loving wife that I am, getting up at five to have a hot cup of coffee with him before he takes off into the dark. I love early mornings, but five is pushing it a bit. It will be worth it however if Troy comes home with a big, dead deer. Yum.

                    It has been a busy few days here. We have meat, meat, meat on the mind. Sunday was our scheduled sausage making day. We began the process after coffee - nothing can be done until at least one cup of coffee has been consumed - at 8:00 or so in the morning and did not finish up until around 11:00 in the evening. It was a long day. We stopped for one mid-afternoon twenty minute sit, but for that one exception, we did not even break for meals. We taste tested all day - making sure each recipe was perfect before hanging for the curing process. It was quite the delicious day. We are trying out a new one - Traverse City Cherry Hazelnut - which I have a feeling is going to be like a meat variety of crack. All in all we did about 40 pounds of sausage completely by hand. We do not have any fancy gear yet, so all the meat had to be mixed by hand as well. I think it will be worth it a month from now.

                    Six sausage batch | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

                    Sausage and prosciutto | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

                    We have also had a huge ham sitting in a five gallon bucket of salt in our refrigerator for the past two months. Sunday marked the day we were finally able to hang it. My daughter was so flipping excited - she loves, loves, loves prosciutto. Imagine her great disappointment when she realized it would have to hang in our meat room for another 12 months…. At least the sausage will be ready in one.

                    I think our recent changes to our eating are going really well. Troy and I have dropped down to very low carb, very high fat for about a week now and I feel fantastic. He is doing it to shed the last few pounds he has to go and I for the sake of feeling good - and shedding a lot of pounds of course. I finally feel the way I expected to feel when we went Primal 10 months ago. I am full of energy, I am free of cravings and am able to handle IF's easily. I am extremely happy all of the time and can sleep well. I am losing weight again. I do not think I will revert back to the higher carb count. I just feel so great. I am drinking thick bone broth each day, eating lots of almost raw local grass fed beef and tallow with butter, a few veggies (too many and I feel terrible) and water with bubbles. Two cups of coffee as well if I am being perfectly honest. That is pretty much it. I am eating at least 2000 calories a day, but very simple. Once in awhile something else gets thrown in there - but it's rare. During our sausage fest, I had some dried cherries and hazelnuts while taste testing, but within a short amount of time my stomach was doing this flippity thing which wasn't entirely pleasant. I'll stick with my meat and fat thankyouverymuch.