Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

To Health and Happiness

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • To Health and Happiness

    I'm ready to make a commitment to my health and to find happiness, not in food, but in life's journey. This has been a long time coming. And I guess every journal needs a plan and goals, so here goes.

    My current plan (edited as suggested, thanks everyone!):
    - 80g carb limit per day
    - 4+ cups of vegetables per day
    - fruit in moderation and not every day
    - 100+g protein per day
    - satisfy hunger with a fair amount of fat intake
    - let go of mistakes and quickly move on

    My August 1st goals:
    - lose 8 lbs
    - drop 2% bodyfat
    - drop 5" (combined from waist, hips, right thigh, and right calf measurements)

    As I (hopefully) progress into this new lifestyle, my plan and goals will reflect these changes. Here's to health and happiness in 2011 and beyond!
    Last edited by Heidi; 07-08-2011, 02:31 PM.
    I'm retraining and strengthening my taste buds, one primal meal at a time.

  • #2
    Two things you need to address already:

    1. Make that vegetables and fruits, not fruits and vegetables. Make fruit a very occasional treat.
    2. Where are your fats? You can't do this without increasing fats.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

    Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)


    Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

    My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

    Comment


    • #3
      What Griff said, plus some kind of tracking so you know how you are doing. I use Livestrong.com. All the best!
      This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

      Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
      Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

      Comment


      • #4
        What happens on the 7th day? Is that the day you undo all the good you did for your body on the previous six days?
        Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
        http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

        F/49/5'4"
        Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
        CW: 146.8 lbs
        GW 140 lbs
        A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Griff View Post
          2. Where are your fats? You can't do this without increasing fats.
          Yes, but with a caveat. Heidi, since you have only 8 pounds to lose, one of your biggest concerns is going to be calories. A lot of people on here will tell you to load up your vegetables with butter and eat coconut oil by the spoonful and gargle with bacon fat. Saturated fat is essential and should not be avoided but it is still high in calories.
          You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Griff View Post
            Two things you need to address already:

            1. Make that vegetables and fruits, not fruits and vegetables. Make fruit a very occasional treat.
            2. Where are your fats? You can't do this without increasing fats.
            I totally agree that my vegetable intake needs to come before fruit intake. I went primal last year for a few months. Felt great, but decided to up my fruit intake for summer because all the yummy fruits were in season. Ended up going overboard with the fruit and it kicked up my cravings for sugar. Before I knew it, I was back to my old SAD eating habits and up 30 lbs.

            I suppose increasing fats is a must, but it's going to be hard because I like lean cuts of meat. If I go heavy on the eggs like last time, it shouldn't be a problem. Is there is standard for fat intake? I don't recall the Primal Blueprint book mentioning any set percentage.
            I'm retraining and strengthening my taste buds, one primal meal at a time.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Digby View Post
              What Griff said, plus some kind of tracking so you know how you are doing. I use Livestrong.com. All the best!
              I'm used to tracking the good, bad, and ugly days! Sparkpeople.com is the tracker I use. Might check out Livestrong.com to see if I'm missing out on anything.
              I'm retraining and strengthening my taste buds, one primal meal at a time.

              Comment


              • #8
                So the 8lb loss is your mini goal I presume? Sounds like you may have a problem with sugar and I would dump the fruit.
                Georgette

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by belinda View Post
                  What happens on the 7th day? Is that the day you undo all the good you did for your body on the previous six days?
                  Well, um, er...maaybe. It didn't sound so bad when I first wrote it down, but a 'free' day every week probably is going to set me up for failure. Thanks for mentioning that. I'll change the plan and figure out a different way to ease into primal eating. Maybe a 'free' meal each week instead of an entire day or something like that.
                  I'm retraining and strengthening my taste buds, one primal meal at a time.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Grumpy Caveman View Post
                    Yes, but with a caveat. Heidi, since you have only 8 pounds to lose, one of your biggest concerns is going to be calories. A lot of people on here will tell you to load up your vegetables with butter and eat coconut oil by the spoonful and gargle with bacon fat. Saturated fat is essential and should not be avoided but it is still high in calories.
                    Sorry for not being clear with the weight loss. I have way more than 8 lbs to lose. I just wanted to do a mini goal since it's going to take me a while to lose all the weight. I don't like butter or coconut oil much and bacon is an occasional treat (price is high where I live), so eggs are my primary source of saturated fat. I'm hoping that works out well.
                    I'm retraining and strengthening my taste buds, one primal meal at a time.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Heidi View Post
                      Well, um, er...maaybe. It didn't sound so bad when I first wrote it down, but a 'free' day every week probably is going to set me up for failure. Thanks for mentioning that. I'll change the plan and figure out a different way to ease into primal eating. Maybe a 'free' meal each week instead of an entire day or something like that.
                      I tried that and uhm yeah, didn't work so well. You may not want to have any cheats at all. Being that we are women our bodies are meant to hold onto fat. A free meal or cheat day isn't going to help that out all. Especially weekly.
                      Georgette

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by geostump View Post
                        So the 8lb loss is your mini goal I presume? Sounds like you may have a problem with sugar and I would dump the fruit.
                        I definitely have a problem with sugar and have a near-lifelong problem with binging (since early childhood). The binging is something I'm trying to work on and bought a book that hopefully will help me conquer this. I probably should forgo the fruit. It just gets hard to not eat it when I'm preparing it for my family. That's one good thing about winter--less fruit is in season.
                        I'm retraining and strengthening my taste buds, one primal meal at a time.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Heidi View Post
                          I definitely have a problem with sugar and have a near-lifelong problem with binging (since early childhood). The binging is something I'm trying to work on and bought a book that hopefully will help me conquer this. I probably should forgo the fruit. It just gets hard to not eat it when I'm preparing it for my family. That's one good thing about winter--less fruit is in season.
                          I have a family and if they want to eat it, they prep it themselves. I do not touch. It also helps I don't like fruit much.
                          Georgette

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by geostump View Post
                            I tried that and uhm yeah, didn't work so well. You may not want to have any cheats at all. Being that we are women our bodies are meant to hold onto fat. A free meal or cheat day isn't going to help that out all. Especially weekly.
                            I know you're right. I just don't know if I'm strong enough to not eat the SAD foods at family gatherings. I suppose I could bring my own food for when there's not much available for healthy eating. I did that one Christmas, brought a mix of nuts and cranberries to have instead of the traditional pie. Worked pretty good back then.
                            I'm retraining and strengthening my taste buds, one primal meal at a time.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Heidi View Post
                              I know you're right. I just don't know if I'm strong enough to not eat the SAD foods at family gatherings. I suppose I could bring my own food for when there's not much available for healthy eating. I did that one Christmas, brought a mix of nuts and cranberries to have instead of the traditional pie. Worked pretty good back then.
                              You are. You just don't believe it due to your set back. It comes with time and practice.
                              Georgette

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X