The Wife is RIGHT - Otter's Log

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FRIDAY

Bfast: 1 turkey piece, broccoli w/ mayo, iced decaf w/ coco milk.
    Was going to eat 2 pieces but I could barely finish the first. Bleah! Terrible appetite.

Lunch: 1/2 serving leftover stroganoff w/ veggies, a few nuts (like, 5)
    I thought I was hungry, guess not, bleah!

Snack: coconut oil, white rice w/ ghee, small amount of stroganoff, iced coffee

Dinner: burger, fries, diet coke

Felt like total crap by the end of the day. It started off ok, except my appetite was really bad and then I just got more grouchy and fatigued by late afternoon. I ate about a tablespoon of coconut oil, took a nap, woke up feeling worse which is why I ended up having some starch. And then I felt much better

This is one problem I have with food, I don't get normal hunger signals and haven't since I was about 14. So if I'm not paying attention shakiness (when I was eating more carbs), sleepiness, fatigue, general malaise are usually the signs that I need some food. And because I usually feel better after eating, when I'm sick I tend to feel like eating...

Lately I lose interest in my food before I can "feel it in my stomach" so I never feel full after eating and the sensation is actually uncomfortable. However, I think the carbs from the bun and the fries dampens whatever it is that makes me stop eating. Ate too much, felt crappy again. Hate Clomid, hate ToM, hate feeling chubby, hate hate hate

but we should instead focus on the other side of the coin: want to be fertile, want ToM to normalize, want to feel lean and athletic. I don't really look chubby when dressed and wear a few sizes smaller than other people who are my same weight. As long as you don't put me next to an asian bird-woman.... but I could bench press her. Finding it easier to follow primal/paleo than other lifestyles so I'll stick with it.

After all, the name of this log is "The wife is RIGHT" not "SAME ol' chubby wife"

RAWR!

some LINKS:
    My kind of DIY project: easy standing desk
    Last edited by ottercat; 06-25-2011, 11:10 AM.
    Cooking Primal with Otter - Journal
    Otter's (Defunct) Primal Log
    "Not baked goods, Professor, baked bads!" ~ The Tick

Comment

Thanks for your fish recipe! I did everything you suggested, except I had to lime or lemon juice, so I winged it and added mayo. That's kind of similar, right? Anyway, it absolutely rocked. My husband, who I think just eats fish to make me happy, ate a ton of it.

Just noticed the desk idea. Cool! Something worth considering, for sure.
      Last edited by Sanctus Real; 06-24-2011, 08:37 PM.
      Motherhood: When changing from pj pants to yoga pants qualifies as 'getting dressed'.

Comment

SATURDAY

Decided not to eat during the day due to all the crap from yesterday. Felt fine, not hungry, still a little PMS-y.
        Went for a skate which started off ok, but there was a massive head-wind on the way back which made it kind of a grind. Then the cramps started up and I don't even know how I made the drive home. Slammed a bunch of Advil and slept until 3:00.

Broke the fast (16 hours) with a big iced decaf and a Tanka bar, just out of sheer laziness. We're travelling in a few weeks and I got a box of them just for emergencies. I think they're a bit expensive for 70 calories each. Then we went to a friend's wedding, which was lovely, and the food was good so I had no problem avoiding the bread and rice. Also had a small glass of red wine. Ate a scoop of ice cream late that night.

Here's my idea for a new ad campaign:
        "Did you FAIL to get pregnant AGAIN this month?
        Let us rub it in!
        Clomid-Cramps(TM): they're like a migraine for your uterus!"

SUNDAY

!!!!!!!!!!!!129.6!!!!!!!!!!
        I have broken the 130lb barrier!! I'm sure the weight will probably wobble back up a couple of times, but this is the lowest it's been in about 2 years.

I think having to report all my activity and eating really keeps me on track. Plus there are a lot of inspiring stories and helpful information around here. Thanks, guys!

Brunch: almond biscuit; scramble of 3 eggs & 2 turkey medallions split with the Hub (1:2). Lost appetite part way through and couldn't finish.

Dinner: dinner at parents; ate a little white rice and pasta salad (oops, stomach ache); had the berries and whipped cream portion of dessert

Snack: munched on a few (arrgh) white chocolate chips and some coconut flakes

Exercise: Rest day aside from about 3 hours of continuous puttering

I think it was about 8 hours between meals and right before dinner I got really sleepy. Once I get sleepy, I don't perk up right away after eating so I'll aim for 5-6 hours between meals.
        Last edited by ottercat; 06-26-2011, 11:49 PM.

Comment

Hi Ottercat!
          Just got done reading what you have posted so far and yummmm your fish recipes sound soo yummy, but I can't do fish... well hubby can't but they sound soo good! I may have to try them for lunches instead of dinners. I don't like to cook fish when he is around, cause it isn't fair to him. He loves fish, but is allergic to fin fish. *sigh* I am going to try those almond biscuits--the idea of a primal shortcake sounds good! a biscuit, strawberries and lovely heavy cream... mmm! Perfect for summer!

I do have to say, I hear ya on the fertility issue. Dh and I tried for 6 years, with 4 failed IUI's (last one in 2007) and with in 3 months of being on Primal last year, we got pregnant. Not saying that Primal was what did it (even though i think it was) keep the faith! We were told that we wouldn't get pregnant, and last July, after our daughter (who was 16 at the time) was in the hospital we found out we were. I thought that AF was gone due to stress (I was a week late) and I counted back on my fingers and thought hmmm... maybe I should test, and what do ya know! 2 beautiful lines grinning up at me. I nearly fell over, and we had a beautiful baby boy this past March. I know how hard it is, with AF showing up every ding dang month, so don't give up hope, I know how hard it can be, and I really thought we were done... Ultimately, I had a fantastic pregnancy, and my OB has cleared us to try again in December...

I'd like to follow along and be part of your cheering section if you don't mind Congrats on the breakthru on your weight!!

Oh, btw I was 43 when I got pregnant

Spin
          Last edited by Spinner; 06-26-2011, 01:04 PM.
          Every day is another stitch in the quilt of life.
          ~*~*~*~*~*~*~
          Re-Start date 6/23/2011
          me--Post pregnancy --mama to a beautiful baby boy--
          273.4/269.3/115
          Hubby--230/227.8/165

Comment

Hey Spin,

This is EXACTLY the kind of wonderful inspirational story that keeps me coming back to primal! My nefarious plan is to get hubbo to join me by regaining my svelte athletic frame, but even if he doesn't, I get to keep the svelte athletic frame .

There are so many stories of people with "unexplained infertility" who got preggo on paleo or something similar. My original inspiration was the success story a few months back about the couple who went paleo and suddenly got pregnant. She was a little younger, a little taller, but otherwise sounded similar.

I haven't had any dramatic health results on paleo bc I think I'm fairly healthy already, but I know any extra weight counts against me as I get older so I might as well get rid of it. I think the sensitivity to sugar and wheat was there all along and I just never noticed it, so I might as well get rid of that too.

I have some friends: he had a year of aggressive cancer treatment and the doctor told him the radiation treatments had sterilized him. He and his wife started eating "healthy" and the next year she had a baby girl. He's a little older and she's a little younger so I think if the mother is super healthy then it can make up for a lot on the male end of things.

Here's hoping, anyway!

Thanks for your post, made my day

Comment

MONDAY

Bfast (late!): 2 turkey medallions w/ homemade lactic mayo, iced coffee, iced white tea
              I think the additional fat helped get the protein down

Lunch: bone-broth w/ spinach and a little coconut milk

Snack: more chocolate chips. this is stupid so I threw the bag away. If I need to bake anything I'll just buy another bag

Dinner: taco salad (snuck some ground heart into the meat)

Really tired all day. I got up a little earlier than normal bc I scheduled a last massage at the chiropractor's before the new insurance year. I was alert for the whole thing, but conked out in the last few minutes and woke up groggy and never recovered.

No walkies; haven't lifted yet, we'll see. UPDATE: I did my total-body kettlebell workout, go me

Links:
              I had never heard of the Dragon Twist, I'm totally doing this when I lift tonight. Here's a vid
              Last edited by ottercat; 06-29-2011, 11:46 AM.

Comment

Woot on the weight, ottercat! BTW, I am so jealous of your (anyone's) ability to remember to brew water for tea or to make coffee. I love coffee, but I usually end up getting black coffee at McDonald's while I'm on the run. I never think of making it when I'm at home until it's too late.

I checked out your videos on the Dragon Twist, and I'd really love to try it. TFS! Now, let's see if my uncoordinated butt can do it, lol!
                Motherhood: When changing from pj pants to yoga pants qualifies as 'getting dressed'.

Comment

This is my new fave journal to read.
                  Great job!

It took me seven years to have my first baby and I really believe changing my diet was the key. It obviously isn't an issue for many people.
                  I was a vegetarian for many years and no amount of clomid or relaxing could overcome my poor nutrition and make me ovulate.
                  I basically started a new way of eating that was basically primal with legumes. Four months later I was pregnant. I miscarried that pregnancy, but I reeled in my health and foods even more and was pregnant again a month after my surgery.
                  I really hope this lifestyle can help you. It gave me the greatest gift I could ask for.
                  And I feel for you. The clomid TOMs are horrible.

And thanks for posting your recipes!

Comment

Hey Otter! I am glad that my post gave you hope! I am hoping that lightening strikes twice for us--and going to be a good Primal girl between now and December and keep DH on the straight and narrow Primally as much as I can--he seems to be about 80% still likes his diet cokes and cereal at times, as well as PB&J sandwiches!

I really think that changing our diets is what did it for us... and I have been reading lots of posts about how primal has helped others as well. I am already looking forward--shoot was looking forward almost as soon as I found out we had a bean on the way--to making his food. No yucky canned jarred yuck! OH btw, he is the Bean because way back when I was reading in one week the embryo goes from the size of a lentil to a chickpea, and he has been the bean since! I think that having that primal start and following primal as best I could during pregnancy really helped. I was reading on Paleo Baby about how the author's child was able to hold his head up rather quickly and all, reminded me that the bean held his head up on his own at 1 week! His dr was amazed! And he has continued too and does really well with pushing his chest all the way up off his bed and floor mat and yesterday started trying to do the 'baby rock' that kidlets do when they start trying to get the whole crawling thing down.

Sorry to rattle on so, but you have a cheering section over here!!
                    Last edited by Spinner; 06-27-2011, 04:27 PM.
                    Every day is another stitch in the quilt of life.
                    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~
                    Re-Start date 6/23/2011
                    me--Post pregnancy --mama to a beautiful baby boy--
                    273.4/269.3/115
                    Hubby--230/227.8/165

Comment

I don't think the importance of inflammation can be under-stated in any health issue that people deal with. I am convinced that this woe (excluding grains, sugar and excess omega 6) is the key to overcoming inflammation and consequently whatever health issue plagues us.

Once you have been doing this for a while and you are no longer inflamed, I'm sure you will find your fertility returns.

Oh and great news on the weight loss!
                      My Journal

Comment

Lol, Spinner, we used to call my little cousin The Bean. I had no idea why, probably came from his parents, similar to what happened with you. I was a total crunchy mom when my kids were babies, homemade baby food, cloth diapers, etc. My husband's family all thought I was nuts, still do.

Comment

Hey Bishop, Spinner, NourishedEm and Sanctus!

thanks for the encouragement, I hear again and again about people getting pregnant on paleo so I'm keeping my fingers crossed! I really don't want to go through an IVF... or another Clomid IUI for that matter!

I'm lurking in all your logs!

Comment

BTW, I am so jealous of your (anyone's) ability to remember to brew water for tea or to make coffee.
                            The secret is Coffee Concentrate!
                            Tastes smoother than regular coffee and it's always in the fridge so you always have iced coffee on hand. I've been drinking it iced bc I don't like coconut milk in hot coffee. So summer's just a convenient opportunity to cut a little more dairy out of the diet.

Comment

TUESDAY

Bfast: buffalo burger, chicken liver, "salsa", a little homemade mayo, iced coffee, diet pepsi [arrgh, I am so weak]

Lunch: taco salad, nuts, sugar free gum

Exercise: ~3 mile to post office and back via the scenic route

Snack: coconut oil, boiled egg, mayo, iced coffee

Dinner: grilled chicken, slaw (red cabbage, carrots, bell pepper, mayo)

I was going to do my HIIT today, but when I got to my car......no gym bag! Drat!
                              Will try doing some punching bag HIIT tomorrow, maybe.
                              Last edited by ottercat; 06-29-2011, 11:46 AM.

Comment

OMG... That iced coffee looks so awesome! Must. Buy. Cheesecloth. Tomorrow. *drool*

Comment

Working...
                                X