• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TUESDAY (fasting day 4)
    Bfast: (12:00, 16h) leftover steak, salad
    Snack: (3:00) almonds
    Snack: (5:00) grazing through kitchen, ate some Bloks which are pure sugar
    Dinner: chicken cacciatore (bleah, I'm not making this again)
    Activity: skate 2 hours
    Snack: apple

So, naturally, after I'm all gung-ho about intermittent fasting, CHEESESLAVE posts an article entitled "How Intermittent Fasting Caused My Insomnia and Belly Fat". Normally, this would cause my Otterbrain to go skittering off in another direction, but not this time. This time I'll stick to the experiment.

But it was an interesting read, the idea being that cortisol can make you fat. I think it does this by keeping your blood sugar elevated. Outward signs of excess cortisol are abdominal obesity, insomnia, food cravings, hairloss. It's also associated with high blood pressure, high blood sugar and insulin resistance. However, cortisol is a normal, important hormone that increases blood sugar when it gets low (among other things). So, if Grok hadn't eaten in awhile, cortisol would help mobilize fat and tissue to keep his blood sugar up until he clubbed that aurochs. Modern humans are pretty good at artificially elevating their cortisol through caffeine, poor sleep habits, low-cal dieting and over exercising, not to mention random stressors of our lives today.

Back when I broke myself and started gaining a pound a month despite extreme dieting and exercise, the doctor gave me a blood test and said that my cortisol was borderline high, but not anything to be concerned about. My blood pressure was 120/something so I was "Healthy as a horse" even though he ignored the fact that it's usually in the 90's. I also have the insomnia where I have no problem getting to sleep, but I tend to wake up between 2-4:00. I used to think I was done sleeping and head off to the gym. Precision Nutrition loves to tell people that only elite athletes suffer from overtraining and I certainly wasn't elite at anything so I just worked out harder and ate even less. All that compounded with severe vitamin D deficiency and it was a sad sad downward spiral of fatness and despair.

Now there are tests you can get for cortisol and adrenal fatigue. I approached my naturopath about them and she tested my neurotransmitters; I came up as half dead, as usual and laughed it off. Anyway, I get a little tired of paying someone to tell them what I think is wrong, so I haven't followed up. I am probably recovering from adrenal fatigue so severe calorie restriction and over-exercising are definite no-no's (and highly unlikely, ha!). I had a vague inkling that I tended to lose when I was eating more (or at least very regularly) so that's something I'll keep in mind. What I really should do is eliminate caffeine and focus on getting a good night's sleep.

So fasting isn't for everyone. I bet it would work great for someone who is overweight just from eating too much. It is terrible for someone who has been dieting themselves bugnuts and has underlying problems.
    Cooking Primal with Otter - Journal
    Otter's (Defunct) Primal Log
    "Not baked goods, Professor, baked bads!" ~ The Tick

Comment

• Interesting article but I think eating 7 times a day is going to be a problem for her if she has cortisol issues from everything else I've read lately. I think that fasting isn't for everyone, but if you are supporting your body with proper food and nutrition when you aren't fasting, it shouldn't be a problem. So in her case, if she was taking those supplements while fasting, it probably would have helped, but maybe it's not the best idea if your adrenals are seriously out of whack. Unfortunately adrenal fatigue is not EVER something that my doctors thought to look into despite my constant fatigue and anxiety over the past 8+ years!

I fast because, why not. I am my experiment! I recently lost a little belly fat (not that I had much to begin with) so I feel like I might have "hit the spot" when it comes to my supplements, but I guess I won't really know until I feel less fatigued and am gaining muscle like I'd like to.
      Depression Lies

Comment

• I fast because, why not. I am my experiment! I recently lost a little belly fat (not that I had much to begin with) so I feel like I might have "hit the spot" when it comes to my supplements, but I guess I won't really know until I feel less fatigued and am gaining muscle like I'd like to.
        Good point, ultimately not everything works for everybody all the time and you need to pay attention to what works for you whether or not the experts agree. Ten years from now we might all be facepalming ourselves going, "Primal? What were we thinking!?!"..... but hopefully not =D

Comment

• WEDNESDAY (fasting day 5)
          Bfast: (2:30, 16h) 2 eggs scrambled with parmesean, almond biscuit, stewed berries, decaf w/ hemp milk
          Snack: 2 pieces of cheese, glass of hemp milk
          Dinner: burger in a bowl w/ carrots, tomatoes, red onion, spinach, and blatzara (Greek spinach pie). Blatzara was really yummy, good way to get lots of greens, I'll definitely make this again.
          Activity: lazy.... busy.... no excuses!

Interesting thing: my appetite has returned. Yesterday I started eating and didn't want to stop! Ended up eating some stuff I shouldn't have, but still, appetite is normal so I take this as a good sign. It was only a problem because the grocery store was out of everything on Sunday (i.e. eggs) so there wasn't as much healthy snackage available in the house. Today I was pretty famished until I had my egg-o-rama breakfast and then I was a bit more controlled.

Yesterday was my first day back at roller derby; I have to go through the Fresh Meat (beginners) program again since I quit last season, but I like to work on fundamentals so it's all good. I was still able to skate hard and get a really good workout.

Comment

• When I IF with any regularity, I always seem to get a 'ravenous' day every so often where all I wanna do is eat. I try to go with it but make smart choices, I figure my body is trying to tell me something right?

Cheeseslave is an interesting person, I used to follow her blog but no more. She still eats a fairly grain heavy diet from what I can tell, so maybe IFing isn't a good idea for someone who is mostly a carb-burner. I dunno, I haven't read the article and probably shouldn't comment.

Personally, I think IFing is a normal way to live. Eat when you're hungry, don't when you're not. I find it very hard to believe that not eating for 16 hours would have long-term negative health effects - How the hell would we have survived otherwise?

Oh yeah, I was diagnosed with adrenal fatigue at the beginning of this year, I still take 10mg of hydrocortisone daily although I wanna try titrating that down now. I didn't lose a pound while I was healing from that. It sucked but it does pass.
            My Journal

Comment

• Personally, I think IFing is a normal way to live. Eat when you're hungry, don't when you're not. I find it very hard to believe that not eating for 16 hours would have long-term negative health effects - How the hell would we have survived otherwise?
              so true, I suspect constant snacking only became prevalent in the last hundred years. I suppose if you're a bodybuilder or a hardgainer then that might be the way to go, but the whole "starvation mode" thing never made any sense to me!

Comment

• THURSDAY (fasting day 6)
                Snack (3:30AM): 3 chestnuts, small glass hemp milk
                Bfast: (13.5h, 11:00) scrambled eggs w/ spinach, almond biscuit w/ stewed berries, decaf w/ coco
                Activity: ice skating, HIIT on bike
                Lunch: beef patty, blatzara
                Dinner: sukiyaki potroast (used dashi, soy sauce, ginger, garlic), another attempt at zucchini noodles (bleah!)

Had a terrible night's sleep. I don't know if it's just because I wasn't sleeping deeply, but I kept waking up to find the Bebeh lodged in some uncomfortable location. Finally, I was wide awake at 3:30 so I got up and had a starchy snack and managed to fall asleep again. I cannot fast after a bad night... I tried, but we ate a really late dinner so I couldn't wait for the 14 hour mark.

Speaking of the cats, I believe they are enjoying their grain-free food! Mama Otter's cat, A-hole, is "picky" so she had several bags of unfinished kibble. Mama Otter panders to A-hole, methinks, and worries that he doesn't like his food. Anyway - I offered to take the bags to the pound (ulterior motive: pet the animals) and brought them home. One night, someone ripped open a bag, but of all the choices they had available to them, the cats prefer their healthy food. Amazeballs....

I also saw the most horrible recipe ever on "Hoarders" (u know u watch it too). A girl made dinner for her diabetic mom, and it was pasta with a big spoonful of Miracle Whip and canned peas mixed in! My faileo noodles were way better.
                Last edited by ottercat; 10-21-2011, 09:58 AM.

Comment

• I'd been trying various combinations of probiotics + ZMA, phosphatidyl serine, and 5-HTP; but last night was just probiotics and I slept like a rock. I even dreamt that I was hanging out with friends; Mama Otter's cat, the late Queen of Roses, was there and I got to hold her again, which was nice, even though her coat was looking more plaid than usual. Someone brought their dogs and QoR didn't even hiss when they came up to her. These were unusual dogs, a standard size and mini-size of the same breed. They are pure black, have long legs that go up into a mass of heavy fur, but the most distinctive thing is that the muzzle is very narrow and pointy. Not like a collie, more like a shrew. I'm not even sure the mini one is a dog, and I was thinking that as soon as I got to a computer I would look it up. Someone reminded me that Zelbert Delmkirk--in his famous DVD "Zelbert Delmkirk's How to Train Cats"--demonstrates with neither a cat nor a dog, but one of the furry shrew-dogs. Why yes, I have seen this DVD, I thought, and will Google it as soon as I wake up...DAMMIT. No such thing as Zelbert Delmkirk. No such thing as furry shrew-dogs.

Anyway, probiotics FTW!

Comment

• Originally posted by ottercat View Post
                    DAMMIT. No such thing as Zelbert Delmkirk. No such thing as furry shrew-dogs.
                    But there should be!!

I've recently introduced more geletin into my life after reading this. I find a teaspoon stirred into some warm milk before bed knocks me out. I got 11 hours last night! Mind you I was recovering from night-duty sleep deficit, but geletin works too.
                    My Journal

Comment

• Oh, great, em. Another supplement I have to go run out and buy.......plus I have to WAIT until MORNING to do it, lol. According to the article is cures EVERYTHING. Maybe I should just have a big bowl of Jell-o every night, but then the idea of downing a bowl full of unflavored gelatin gives me the creeps. Maybe if I take it my knee cartilage will grow back, sounds easier than making bone broth. Actually, El Hubbo likes Jell-o. Maybe I'll make a homemade wild berry flavor and serve it with whipped cream, yum!

Comment

• It's not a supplement! Just stir a spoonful of knox gelatin into a hot drink, drink bone broths and yes, eat some jello!

Bone broths are not hard, they just take a long time.

He had another article on Vitamin E and estrogen antagonism that made me think of you. Aren't you trying to get pregnant? It may be worth checking out.
                        My Journal

Comment

• It's not a supplement! Just stir a spoonful of knox gelatin into a hot drink, drink bone broths and yes, eat some jello!
                          this is true, I was going to go get a 1lb jar of NOW foods brand, but I can just get Knox when I'm at the store next.

Bone broths are not hard, they just take a long time.
                          I LIKE bone broth, I've been trying to drink it more regularly and I usually use it in place of bouillon or broth in recipes

He had another article on Vitamin E and estrogen antagonism that made me think of you. Aren't you trying to get pregnant? It may be worth checking out.
                          Hmm, that sounds interesting. My progesterone was borderline low and my estrogen borderline high; I'll have to have a look

thanks for the info!!

p.s. double-Hmmmmmmmm, you have to watch out for estrogens in your Vitamin E! They use tocopherol, they unesterify it, they put it in a capsule and top it off with, wait for it, SOYBEAN OIL. Genius. Maybe I'll look for wheat germ oil.

p.p.s the answer is "Dry Vitamin E". More expensive, but more easily absorbed. Soy-free.
                          Last edited by ottercat; 10-22-2011, 04:58 PM.

Comment

• FRIDAY (fasting day 7)

AM: decaf green tea w/ lemon & stevia
                            Bfast: (15h) leftover potroast w/ gravy, cheese
                            Lunch: leftover potroast w/ gravy, cheese, candy (bad!)
                            Dinner: steak salad (at restaurant), apple, chocolate

Weigh-in: I didn't want to weigh myself, I hate that sinking feeling when I've made no progress and I've been up in the high 128's since surgery. Pre-surgery I was 127.9 when dressed, which is pretty good considering my lowest nekkid AM weight was 127.8. So this morning: 127.6! It's a new low! *throws confetti* And I've been a little cheaty this week so this encourages me to clean things up, keep up with the harder workouts and continue with my IF experiment.

No activity today. I had it all planned out, but ended up spending half the day in the car and justified not lifting because I'm going to the gym tomorrow. Bad Otter. I didn't walk at all this week, it's a bit slippery and treacherous out which is discouraging me.

Comment

• Originally posted by ottercat View Post
                              p.s. double-Hmmmmmmmm, you have to watch out for estrogens in your Vitamin E! They use tocopherol, they unesterify it, they put it in a capsule and top it off with, wait for it, SOYBEAN OIL. Genius. Maybe I'll look for wheat germ oil.

p.p.s the answer is "Dry Vitamin E". More expensive, but more easily absorbed. Soy-free.
                              Or use food sources. I take 1T of red palm oil daily. It also has the tocotrienols that you won't find in Vit E supps.

Edit: Yay for the new low (spits out a piece of confetti)!! I'm on a 30 day scale ban right now so I have no idea what I weigh. I'm actually dreading getting back on them in 2 weeks.
                              Last edited by NourishedEm; 10-22-2011, 05:32 PM.
                              My Journal

Comment

• Or use food sources. I take 1T of red palm oil daily. It also has the tocotrienols that you won't find in Vit E supps.
                                I have some Jarrow brand red palm and I really hate the taste. I use it to saute veggies in curry, but that's about it (and we haven't had curry in awhile...). Looks like coconut oil is pretty good and I get plenty of that.

Comment

Working...
                                X