No announcement yet.

The Wife is RIGHT - Otter's Log

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• aww sounds like you are doing great! Don't let el hubbo's diet bring you down, you are going to FEEL much better than he does, even if you are both hitting a healthy weight

And one pesky pound doesn't necessarily mean anything. I can get up, pee, weigh myself, drink a big glass of water, weigh myself, and find I weigh 1-2 pounds more than I did 10 minutes earlier. It truly doesn't mean anything! I do find the more salt I add to my food, the more likely I am to have an extra pound or two in the next few days. I find I'm happier when I just shrug it off
    Type 1 Diabetic. Controlling blood sugar through primal life.

2012 Goals:
    Maintain A1c of 6.0 or lower
    More dietary fat, less carbs, moderate protein
    LHT and sprint as per PB fitness
    Play more!

Comment

• @norcal - *gasps* HATE prime rib??? Oh, but the bloody greasy goodness of it all!
      @apple - isn't it weird how weight fluctuates? I think when I work out I get heavier, I don't know if my muscles are holding water or something? Anyway, I always hated holding my breath for weigh-in day. I'd rather weigh myself every day and experiment =D
      Cooking Primal with Otter - Journal
      Otter's (Defunct) Primal Log
      "Not baked goods, Professor, baked bads!" ~ The Tick

Comment

• SUNDAY t-minus 17 days

Bfast (9:00): eggs scrambled with roasted chile peppers and cheddar, 1pc bacon, 1 almond biscuit, 2 small apples, decaf
        Snack (4:30): 3 pork rinds with liver pate and parsley pesto, kombucha
        Dinner (7:00): grilled chicken, big salad, leftover kabocha
        Dessert: primal "apple pie" (apples cooked with cinnamon & vanilla, whipped cream, almond biscuit)

Activity: walked 1.5 miles

Houston, we have sauerkraut! I attempted some last week and due to the lack of salt or the geriatric whey it started to turn into a rather unpleasant cabbage lambic or something. It smelled strongly of chlorine, which can't be good, so I tossed it. For that setup I jammed cabbage into a tall pitcher with a tupperware lid weighted down by a jar of water.

Then I realized I don't need a magic German sauerkraut crock or cockamamie construction of my own design. Japanese have been making pickles forever. For Japanese pickles, you take thinly sliced, salted veggies and press them for about an hour before dinner. For this, you use a "tsukemono press". It's a container with a spring-loaded plate attached to the lid. Throw in your veggies, screw on the lid and crank down the plate. Plus they're cheap. I just found some little ones for $4.59. The downside is that they're not as large as the German kraut crocks.

For my sauerkraut, I used cabbage, kosher salt and a big spoonful of live sauerkraut from the health food store.

Comment

• SUNDAY t-minus 16 days

Bfast: casserole, coffee
          Lunch: pork rinds, pate, chicken, cherry tomatoes
          Snack: various munchies
          Dinner: stir fry with lots of veggies and leftover chicken/prime rib

Today's topic is CHEWING.
          The benefits of chewing include breaking food into easy-to-digest pieces, initiating digestion by salivary enzymes, satiation, and not having to evolve a detachable jaw so you can swallow a whole tapir. Plants are particularly difficult for humans to digest properly. I think it's because we are real omnivores; we can digest most things pretty well, but unlike specialized beings such as termites we lack the microbiota and enzymes that allow us to extract nutrition from the lumber holding up your house.

While animal cells are basically squishy fat-sacks that readily release their beastly goodness, plant cells are encased in cellulose. These rigid walls looked like little monk-dorms, hence the term "cells" (apparently). While cows, termites, and probably mountain gorillas have enzymes that dissolve these walls, we humans do not. Hence we must use our choppers to break them down in order to unleash the monks within. Hopefully they will make us some red wine or artisanal cheese or maybe lambic beer (but not cabbage this time, please).

You can lose as much as 20% of the energy in your plant foods by being a lazy chewer. You might think, "A ha, I could reduce calories by not chewing properly!" Actually - proper chewing releases nutrients that initiate the secretion of satiety hormones and the act of chewing causes secretion of appetitive hormones and provides neural stimulation that makes you feel fed. These satiety signals actually offset the energy release.

Well duh, Otter, I chew my food, what are you going on about? But are you chewing....enough?? Most people only chew enough to break food into pieces that are small enough to swallow. That's how they manage to bolt their whole dinner before the stretch receptors in their stomach signal that they're stuffed. But now you can experience true neural, biochemical, hormonal satiety through the magic of chewing!

One study had subjects eat almonds and chew 10, 25 or 40 times. Try it, it's pretty interesting. If I weren't paying attention, I'd probably swallow after about 15 chews. By 25 chews I'm thinking, "enough, already!" By 40 chews, the almond is changed into a completely different substance. Enzymes are taking action, the flavor shifts, you might even take a few extra chews for the last lumps.

I find that making a conscious effort to chew a specific number of times greatly increases my satiety and reduces the amount of food I need. You might say, "Grok no count calories, RAH!" However, if you are, say, a very short middle aged woman with a sedentary job, extra calories are going to slow down weightloss and eating past satiation is going to add those extra calories. Eventually, I think I'll be able to stop counting my chews and just get used to how a mouthful of food is supposed to feel before I swallow it. Til then, work those choppers!

Comment

• Wow - great post to remind us all to be more mindful of chewing and really enjoy our food. Thanks Otter!
            Diver Girl goes Primal Journal

Comment

• Originally posted by NorCalGirlDiver View Post
              Wow - great post to remind us all to be more mindful of chewing and really enjoy our food. Thanks Otter!
              Thanks for reading!! =D

Comment

• MONDAY t-minus 15 days

Wow, two weeks! I'm surprised at how easy this is.

CHALLENGE: I'm becoming aware of how much I was cheating because of all the times I have to say "no". I guess it wasn't THAT often, but the challenge is making me conscious of the Little Voice of Temptation that I might have given in to by saying it was part of my 20%. "Yum, white chocolate mocha - let's just get a 12oz!"... "You went grocery shopping on a weekend afternoon and deserve a treat, remember a couple of months ago we had a York Peppermint Patty, let's get one of those!", etc.

CHEAT: I had a little red wine with dinner. El Hubbo went grocery shopping and brought home six bottles of wine including cheapo red blends which he's not crazy about. I didn't want to make a big deal about "I'm doing a CHALLENGE, no fun foods until mid-October" so when he opened one of my bottles for me I had a drop (about an ounce).

EATS/RECIPE: I didn't write it down as soon as I ate it so I have no recollection. I guess PB isn't doing anything for my memory!

I know I had coffee/cacao-rubbed flatiron steak for dinner because the rub hasn't come out right since the first time I made it. I also made mashed turnips which were surprisingly yummy. I read the first five books of The Song of Ice & Fire where they're always eating "mashed neeps swimming in butter" so I've been craving them even though I've never had mashed neeps and the thought of boiled turnips is kind of gross.

I read somewhere that you should add sugar and salt to the boiling water and I guess it worked bc the neeps were mild and creamy (peel 'em, cut into chunks, boil about 15-20m, drain, mash, season) and the pats of melty Kerrygold butter made them even yummier. I might try this with rutabagas because I figure that gold color means extra phyto-nutrients. I also want to try latkes or hash brown neeps/bagas. Plus it's fun to say: neep neep neep.

ACTIVITY: I skated for an hour! since I left the league last season I have to go through try-outs again. It's all good since I'm just going to be recreational and just skate whenever I want. I did manage to do 11 laps in 2 minutes. I think I missed the 12th lap by 2 feet. Not too bad considering I haven't skated hard since April and the track was full of beginners. With teammates you can holler "INSIDE" and barrel past them, but you have to be thoughtful and give beginners a wider berth. Anyway, it's a good baseline for improvement.

Comment

• WEDNESDAY: t-minus 15 days

Bfast: casserole, caf coffee with sugar
                  Lunch: leftover chicken, mashed turnips
                  Snack: pate, almonds
                  Dinner: cauli-crust pizza w/ canadian bacon & pineapple
                  Activity: lifted weights, picked berries in the woods =), schlepped heavy winter tires from the shed

There's been hubbub over how cage-free and free-range chickens are really just housed in one big, enclosed cage. I guess you look at the picture of the idyllic farm on the label and imagine your chickens roaming wild and free across the landscape under the hooves of the pastured cows and lambs. There's actually a really good reason for keeping them enclosed: wild ducks and their ilk carry various forms of avian influenza and spread it to domestic birds when they share water or poop in their general vicinity.

While influenza just causes some malaise and sniffles in ducks , chickens and turkeys have almost no resistance. In wimpy genetically-undiverse commercial breeds not only does the virus spread rapidly through the flock, it can also mutate into more pathogenic forms. You get lower growth rates and reduced egg production, or in a worst case scenario, massive die-offs requiring the farm to cull all their birds and sanitize their facility. In a worst-worst case scenario, someone catches Bird Flu and spreads it around like in "Contagion" or "28 Days Later". Excuse me, zombies, you don't seem to be eating your vegetables! Also, that human is probably grain-finished since all the Groks and Crossfitters have sprinted away.

While it would be lovely to convert all of the Midwest into alfalfa pastures for cows and chicken-tractors, I guess the point is to not pooh-pooh all of modern technology and its effect on food. I think there's a balance. I think one of the reasons we don't have highly pathogenic H5N1 and massive bird epidemics here is because of farming regulations that keep poultry from coming in contact with wild birds.
                  Last edited by ottercat; 09-23-2011, 08:03 PM. Reason: *AND

Comment

• THURSDAY t-minus 14 days
                    Bfast: casserole, coffee
                    Lunch: cauli-crust pizza
                    Snack: pate, pork rinds, dark chocolate, yogurt w/ berries, carrots, celery
                    Dinner: crockpot pork, roasted veggies
                    Activity: car needed an oil change so I took it to a nearby garage and walked to and from my office. A little over 3 miles in toto with a 500ft elevation change. Schlepped tires out to shed.

Gordon Ramsay was going on about tripe and how these days only old people (90+) are the ones eating it. Some little old lady said that she eats it with just vinegar. Then he cooked up a batch (sweated some onions, tossed the tripe in flour, and fried it). A bunch of polite Brits gathered around to watch and sample and said that it tasted quite nice.

BLEAHHHH. I see tripe in the grocery store all the time. It looks like packing material...it probably feels like a spongy sea creature and tastes like an unholy love-child of the two combined. Imagine it clammy and raw with a sprinkling of vinegar! And just think, they bleach it to make it look more "appetizing".

I'm afraid of kidneys too. I read here that someone cooked up some kidneys and it made their whole house smell like lamb urine.Just imagine the flavor!

I desperately want to try cooking beef tongue, though. It's supposed to be the most delicious, beefy part of the cow, but I'm not sure if I can deal with the taste buds. I see beef tongues at the price club, but they're all grey- and pink-mottled and folded over so they can fit on the little styrofoam tray. Then I flinch and run away.

Maybe that will be another challenge for the challenge: cook something gross!
                    Ok, bad wording.... how 'bout "push your comfort limits with regards to what is edible"? And isn't that what challenges are all about?

Comment

• Wow, lessons on chewing and preventing avian flu on the same page! It's like an information super-highway in here!

Re: chewing - I have a weird eosophageal stricture which food can get stuck behind if I don't chew properly, it makes me the worlds sloooooowest eater. I get 1/2 an hour for lunch and I'm still chowing down on my salad when I have to get back to work, it drives me crazy! I'm also always the last one left eating at any table, ever. It makes me feel rather conspicuous!

Avian flu - My partner just finished making my henhouse so I'm getting my own chooks soon, mine really will be pecking around in the garden during the day, hopefully keeping my weeds down.

Tripe - I have some in my freezer, I'm gonna try making manudo (sp?) with it. I'll do a status report in my journal when it's done.

Kidneys - They are pretty foul, I don't mind liver but kidneys really are revolting. I also can't get past the fact that they used to contain urine. I really really don't want to eat lambs piss.

Tongue - on the other hand is aweseme!! I recently set a whole one in my crockpot. When it was done I peeled it and shredded it and seasoned it into taco meat. Made iceberg tacos with it - AMAZING!!

Sorry I've missed it and I can't be bothered going back to look but what are the days for? Are you doing a whole 30?
                      My Journal

Comment

• @Em - hey pretty lady! looks like you're kickin' butt over in your journal =D
                        Tripe - I have some in my freezer, I'm gonna try making manudo (sp?) with it. I'll do a status report in my journal when it's done.
                        Like the band? Ha ha, I'm old.

Tongue - on the other hand is aweseme!! I recently set a whole one in my crockpot. When it was done I peeled it and shredded it and seasoned it into taco meat. Made iceberg tacos with it - AMAZING!!
                        This is very encouraging. There is a 4lb beef tongue in the crockpot this second, check back for details of my adventures in offal.

Sorry I've missed it and I can't be bothered going back to look but what are the days for? Are you doing a whole 30?
                        yeah, I started on the first Monday of Sept before realizing there was an official 30 day. I'll probably stick it out til mid-October

Comment

• FRIDAY t-minus 13 days
                          Bfast: 2 eggs, sauerkraut (a tasty combo!)
                          Lunch: oops, missed
                          Snack: random stuff
                          Dinner: Japanese restaurant
                          Activity: zilch. Busy! Argh!

Challenge: Has it only been 2 weeks? Fuuuuuuuuu**. Feels like months, but then again, I'm not really going to go back to my bad habits once I'm done so I guess I'd better get used to it.

This was not a stellar week: I took my amino acids every morning and ate a fair amount of offal in the form of chicken liver pate.I barely got any exercise and I did a lot of snacking. My energy levels have been low in the afternoon so I either crash/nap or I snack. I may need to eat a little more for lunch or time things differently.

Weigh-in: 128.0. I've been weighing myself all week and this is the highest weight; the lowest was 127.6. Not bad, remember back when I was shocked that I was as low as 128.0? We're trending downward! Maybe things will pick up when I get my exercise and snacking under control. Of course, the next 2 weeks are the PMS weeks so we may be trending up again.

Kittehs: I'm tired of fighting with them. They really like their grain-free kibble so I may stop putting out canned food every night, especially since it's expensive and they don't eat it! I'll offer meat trimmings when I'm cooking and maybe someday we'll all be primal.

Comment

• SATURDAY t-minus.....oh, who cares, I'm doing this through October!

bump-bump!

Didja hear that?

That was me taking a swan dive off the front of the wagon and getting run over. Friday night we went out with friends and they wanted to try a new Japanese restaurant. I figured that white rice is a lesser evil and I could get my dose of fish as well. Then something snapped on Saturday and I had a bagel dog and sweet coffee drink for breakfast. It was like trying to digest a brick. Munched on blueberries, nuts, and an avocado during the day. That evening I got bummed over several things including El Hubbo telling me he hasn't lost any weight in the last two weeks. I asked him how much he's cheating and he said if he runs out of food he gets a candy bar at work. WTF! Guys can usually cheat quite a bit and still lose so how much crap is he eating?? I mean, part of the reason we're doing this is to improve fertility and my selfish motive is to avoid hormone treatments, which make me feel insane and give me horrendous periods. Anway, had pizza and a piece of cake for dinner =(.

The interesting thing is that Satuday was a cheat day, a digression, a step off the path rather than a return to normal eating. My normal diet is real food now! I can't control anyone else, but I can improve my own health. And if someone complains, I can remind them that they are actively choosing to be old and fat and expending effort to remain this way. When considering that someone prepares all their healthy meals and snacks, it would actually take less effort to eat healthy! Harumph.

ACTIVITY: lifted weights
                            Last edited by ottercat; 09-25-2011, 12:26 PM.

Comment

• SUNDAY
                              Bfast: 1 scrambled egg w/ cheddar, 2 pieces bacon, decaf, blueberries, reg coffee
                              Dinner: lengua tacos, green salsa, red salsa, cotijo cheese, romaine lettuce (!!)

Activity: stood all day while working on the computer. Mr. Otter made coffee (or rather, I showed him how to use the French Press) so I had to have a cup and then I was dancing at my desk for a few hours.

Adventures in Offal-land: Picked up a 4lb beef tongue at the price club. Sooo gross! I checked a bunch of recipes online and the first step is universally: "Chase kids/spouse around kitchen with tongue". I made "bluhluhluhluh" noises and licked Cattus with it, but he just sat on his stool and gazed adoringly at me.

Simmered in the crockpot and went out to do some errands for another couple of hours. Upon my return I dumped the contents of the crock into a colander over a large pot. Now the tongue is whitish and solid and still not very appetizing. The top layer comes off like a glove, but underneath is a fatty layer that still has taste-buds on it (shudders)! Some bloggers left this one and chopped the meat, but I scraped the tastebuds off with a spoon.

I was surprised at how fatty the tongue is. There must have been a pound of extra gristle between the skin and the mass of blubber/veins/ick where the tongue used to be attached to the cow. The meat is very stringy with long fibers running the length of the muscle, but they're not very "tight". Pretty much all the blogs cut the tongue into 1/2" cubes, so I followed suit. When I cook lengua again, I'll cut it into 1" pieces and shred it as the cubes make the meat mushy.

Gourmet had an extra step (plus they didn't chase family members with the tongue) of frying the meat with seasoning, so I did as well. Fried half the meat in ghee with Mexican oregano, garlic, cumin, salt and chili powder, smelled awesome. This step puts a nice little brown crust on the meat. Served with green salsa, tomato salsa, cotijo cheese, and sour cream, yum!

Comment

• PRIMAL LENGUA TACOS
                                1 beef tongue, washed
                                1 onion, coarsely chopped
                                1T peppercorns
                                3 bay leaves
                                Cumin
                                Garlic granules
                                Oregano
                                Chili powder
                                Salt
                                -- simmer tongue in crockpot for about 1hr per pound with onion, peppercorns, and bay leaves.
                                -- Discard solids (except tongue) and save broth
                                -- Peel tongue, discard fat and gristle, cut into 1" pieces and shred meat
                                -- Fry meat with spices until meat has some browned crust. Add about 1/2 c saved broth and simmer until most of the liquid has evaporated

Green sauce: 1 can green chiles, 1 can tomatillos. Drain and blend together
                                Red sauce: 2 chopped tomatoes, 2 chopped avocados, lime juice, salt, pepper

Comment

Working...
                                X