No announcement yet.

AbstractPersona's primal life!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Give it a try, it's great once in a while if you're not afraid of potatoes. Make sure to roll up the greens very tightly and squeeze them tight on your hand, then sliver very thinly with a knife; don't use a cutting board like that person did.

Have fun ottercat :-)
    My smartphone makes me about $100 per month
    Updating my journal again after a 2 year break.

Comment

Wanna hear a weird coincidence? A friend gave me a bunch of kale from her garden and said she was going to make a Dutch dish which has sausage, kale, and potatoes in it. Must be the universal happy combination!
      Cooking Primal with Otter - Journal
      Otter's (Defunct) Primal Log
      "Not baked goods, Professor, baked bads!" ~ The Tick

Comment

Hmm I wonder what that German dish is. Kale and collards are my favorite vegetables, but it's so difficult to find tasty recipes for them.

Comment

Saturday: still feeling kind of weak, not surprising since I haven't had meat since days ago. Normal around this time of the month too, but oh well. Having those kind of steak cravings, which I had even when I never ate beef (yes, funny, I know, I always craved beef even though I never ate it, because I couldn't stand the texture since I was a little child). Anyway, feel too weak to do much, so got some take out curry from a good restaurant. It was a coconut curry with beef, peppers, bamboo; very tasty and filling.

Sunday: 3 egg omelet for breakfast, 4 big cookies for afternoon snack (tasted like farts); dinner: pork loin and green beans; how can something so simple taste better than cookies?

Monday: Ummm..... M&Ms for breakfast, a coconut larabar, popcorn for dinner, a bar of Emergency chocolate, Pepsi Max and a mango drink before bed. I'm so going to feel like crap tomorrow.

Tuesday: A can of tuna with EVOO and chili paste. A few bites of bacon. Lunch: Avocado, sweet potato and cucumber Maki, octopus and cucumber salad, raw salmon. Some chocolate. Dinner: Beef roast with peas (+ butter). Chocolate.

At this rate I won't be losing any weight, but I think it's best to concentrate on the positive: staying Primal is much better for me than eating SAD, even if I'm eating too many starches (carrots, sweet potatoes) or chocolate. Eating Primal is something to be pround of; atleast I feel great... as long as I eat plenty of protein :-D

Wednesday: 3 eggs with cheddar cheese and olives. Cottage cheese. Mousse (whipped heavy cream and 82% chocolate) with macadamias.
          Last edited by abstractpersona; 08-03-2011, 12:24 PM.

Comment

No idea what I've been eating for the past week, probably Pepsi for lunch and ice cream for dinner.

Comment

Trying to get back on track, not that I wanted to stop eating Primal, but I'm just going through a bad emotional phase (hence all the ice cream, soda, and practically nothing else. I can literally count in one hand the real food I ate in the past week).

Since I can't make myself cook that much until I stop feeling like crap, I'm going to batch cook. I was too lazy to eat lunch, so I just hard boiled lots and lots of eggs. I'll eat that instead of going for ice cream. Tomorrow I can use the hardboiled eggs and make a breakfast curry. Later tonight I'll cook a LOT of beef and vegetable stir-fry, enough for 4 meals. Maybe I'll add rice to make it easier on me.

If only I could make myself eat a good breakfast, I know I would get back on track right away.
              Yesterday I managed to cook a meal for the boyfriend. I was going to eat some too, but I felt so headachy and weak that I dropped half the meal on the floor :-/ Not only did I not eat, he didn't have leftovers the next day at work. BLAH!

Comment

Still doing pretty good. I've been eating the hard boiled eggs, and beef stir fry, no rice. It's a big improvement that I've been able to do that. But I've also eaten the yucky SAD snack stuff that the boyfriend brings home. Eww.
                It sucks to use food as an emotional pacifier :-(

No need to write this down, but I want it here for future reference: how I manage to get over a big emotional slump that drives me back to SAD.

Don't forget: for the next breakfasts, make zucchini and tuna salad. For meals, make turmeric coconut fish with baked sweet potato, or such. (Trying to think of things that are as easy as possible). Then chili (pork, liver, chorizo).
                Next time we go shopping, I'm buying some macadamias then making bark with dark dark chocolate. That's going to be my black hole snack.

Also, also, alsssso, make steak and eggs for breakfast. That will be such a TREAT.
                Last edited by abstractpersona; 08-13-2011, 08:57 AM.

Comment

Still eating okayish, though sometimes I still get cravings for floury stuff which I indulge (cravings which would easily go away were I to become strictly Primal again). I'm still batch-cooking which is a big help.

Even though I'm not eating as primally as I should, I'm still seeing results. My legs look great, even though they obviously have extra fat. Even when I was skinny, my legs always looked like they belonged to someone twice my weight :-O Really chubby ankles and knees didn't help. But it's all gone now!
                  My feet look smaller; my hands look pretty and delicate like they used to when I was younger.

Even my tight jeans now feel very comfortable around the waist; and the leg is really loose and baggy looking. Can't wait to fit into the college jeans (which I kept because I wanted to remember what brand and style they were, not because of weight-gain sadness :P But now that I'm losing fat, I'm actually feeling excited about the prospect)

Now that I see all this, I wish I had a "before" picture. But I was so afraid of the camera, I put on so many clothes so that only my face and hands would show. Oops.

^ ^''
                  Last edited by abstractpersona; 08-23-2011, 07:18 AM.

Comment

Hey, girl! what's up?

Comment

Hi there ottercat, how's it going :-) I was just in the mood to write an update... Random thoughts as usual...

I've been doing pretty well regarding food choices, all meals are primal except for
                      • rare indulgences with rice (basil coconut turmeric rice)
                      • import beer that someone brought as a surprise (I didn't care for it, but it's the only beer I like, so... I had to!)
                      • plenty of M&Ms
                      • ... and a REAL HOMEMADE lemon custard-filled donut. It was quite worth it :-) The peanut M&Ms need to go, though. I hate it when I'm angry or scared, and need something crunchy to bite off. Nothing makes the craving go away.

I definitely felt my now-thin wrists and ankles swell up after drinking a few beers. And I got plenty of zits all over my body.
                      I might keep almond truffles (crunchy almond butter, coconut oil, cocoa powder if needed) on hand to replace the M&Ms.

I suppose I need to be super-strict if I want to heal and lose weight. I feel like getting a tattoo on my wrist saying "No Gluten - No sugars - no processed foods. & Move your ass". Or maybe just the little Grok guy; that should be reminder enough when I reach for a bad food.

I suppose in a way I'm healing. Menstrual cycles are super regular now, and they're not 45+ days like they used to be. Varicose veins are gone. Never got Granuloma annulare again; my teeth for some reason are much whiter; etc etc etc !

Speaking of healing... I do FAM for birth control, though we might try for a little one in a couple of months... but I feel apprehensive when I think I should be in perfect health. That's kind of an impossible wish, isn't it. Ugh ._. I feel since I'm diagnosed with Grave's disease, I shouldn't be allowed to be pregnant. But you know what...? I'm eating well, taking good care of myself. I feel healthy, I don't even think of myself as hyperthyroid anymore. I'm better off that most pregnant women out there. But I do know that pregnancy can aggravate hyperthyroidism [1] [2], and I know I'll have to keep a close eye on it. Hopefully a midwife can help with that.

More random thoughts...
                      If I eat lunch+dinner, I can't fall asleep easily. But if I eat breakfast-lunch instead, I sleep much better on an empty stomach.

The boyfriend is really enjoying primal meals. He was already good looking, but now he's seriously lean. /jealous :-D I'm proud of him that he managed to pull off his sweets addiction, hurray!
                      And his parents at the shop keep ogling the food he brings in... maybe I should cook for them too

Oh!, today we bought a great Chef's knife, so prep-work for cooking has gotten so much more fun

I'm going to hurry to the warm bed and get some sleep. Good night everyone!

Edit: oh meant, to add: I've been good about having bone broth, though no luck with innards yet. Taking medication, vit-D3, and fish oil. I've been energetic and motivated enough to keep the house clean and organized. I'm going to give seaweeds a try, I do love them, but they're not easy to come by, or cheap.
                      Trying to keep things positive so I keep going in the right track. :-)

Goodnight now!
                      Last edited by abstractpersona; 09-13-2011, 02:44 PM.

Comment

When do you usually eat dinner in relation to when you try to sleep? I know the leptin reset method recommends 3 hrs between last meal & bedtime, and no earlier.
                        Depression Lies

Comment

Hmm... I eat dinner around 6:30 to 7:30, which is when Nic gets home from work. I try to go to bed around 10:30. But even if I stay in bed trying to sleep, like a good girl, eventually I realize it's 4 or 5 AM and I'm still awake. I think it could be because I eat a huge meal for dinner; I'm usually pretty hungry by then.

Comment

Iodine regarding thyroid function:
                            The conversion of thyroxine (T4) to triiodthyronine (T3) requires the removal of an iodine molecule from T4. This reaction requires the mineral selenium. The iodine molecule that is removed gets returned to the body's pool of iodine and can be reused to make additional thyroid hormones.
                            If your body is deficient in selenium, the conversion of T4 to T3 is slowed, and less iodine is available for the thryoid to use in making new hormones.
                            Animal studies have shown that arsenic interferes with the uptake of iodine by the thyroid, leading to goiter. In addition, dietary deficiency of vitamin A, vitamin E, zinc and/or iron can exaggerate the effects of iodine deficiency.
                            I guess I really have to eat liver, it being the bigest source of Vit A and zinc >_< I did buy some, but eventually I trashed it. Can't stand the toxic waste smell. Maybe I'll have to find a restaurant who can make a nice dish out of it, then go there once a week for the rest of my life :-P
                            Last edited by abstractpersona; 09-01-2011, 10:54 AM.

Comment

Congrats on all the progress!
                              Liver is kind of creepy, but if you soak it in milk for a few hours it gets rid of the weird smell. You could try looking for a pate recipe that combines it with meat to dilute that gamey flavor as well.

Comment

Nic found a butchershop close to where he works, so he got some beef and chicken. Aaaah, it was so good to cook meat that doesn't smell bad!
                                I couldn't understand why I got so sick cooking meat here; the smell is so nauseating to me. Actually American milk smells really bad to me too, I can't even stand most ice cream because of that. I always have to pinch my nose to eat it :-D

I've been cutting up/prepping meat in Portugal since I was really young (pre-elementary school), and so did all my little cousins. We'd use good sharp knives and no one ever got hurt. ANYWAY, the meat never smelled bad. I'm so happy to have found meat here in USA that doesn't smell bad!
                                My cat really enjoyed eating the raw beef. But she was so confused.. she kept licking it and licking it, until she finally realized you're supposed to grab by piercing it with your awesome fangs. Then when she ate canned cat food, she would try to grab it instead of licking it. Poor thing!

I'm going to ask Nic to grab some fresh liver from that shop. I read here in the forums that liver only smells disgusting if it's not fresh. We'll see!
                                I really like liver pâté, but I didn't dare make it with such a smelly liver. If I had to smell that thing any longer, I think I'd faint :P I might try the milk trick if the liver is smelly, but since I don't like milk either... who knows!

I actually fell off the wagon. I had a craving for a sandwich that didn't go away after a few days. So I ate a sandwich. Then a whoopie pie. Then pizza that Nic had the courtesy of buying (even though I did not ask for it). And some slices of cake. Somehow my pants are still falling off my hips, even the smallest pairs. My fingers are now so thin, I'd forgotten how crooked they look like. Bwahahaha. But eating this way really makes my legs, knees and wrists hurt. And I feel like a zombie, which I used to think was a "normal" thing to feel. Ha!

Hmm... more random thoughts...
                                * Ah, I've been eating breakfast and lunch again (no dinner), and I can confirm that I'm back to sleeping well.

* Finally going camping and swimming soon. Atleast it's before the Summer ends!

* (edit) My stretch-marks/skin don't hurt anymore when I sleep. My skin was so dry and painful that I'd have to wrap myself in a silk sari... and not MOVE at all. This could be from the coconut oil, but I've been using it for years, so while I think it helps I'm sure it's not the only reason.
                                I also apply copious amounts of the oil to my face after I shower, and I have no blemishes. Very good.

* Yesterday I had a good breakfast, 3 eggs and a lot of chicken. Come 4 PM, I still wasn't hungry, but since that's past the time I eat anyway, I had some "chili": a lot of canned baked beans, tabasco sauce, and marginal amounts of ground beef. One hour later, I was starving. Amazing, given that I wasn't even hungry in the first place!

* (another edit) I've checked my blood pressure and heart rate a few times after going for a walk. It was in the mid-normal range, yay! It was nearly the same as Nic's. *flexes arms* :-P

* I learned about a CSA close-by, vegetable only. The small-share comes about 15 dollars per week, enough vegetables for a family of four. So we could split that with Nic's parents, since his mom has shown interest. That'd leave us with so much money leftover for good meat...!
                                Let's see...
                                Maybe I did the math wrong, but I think meat at the butcher would cost us about $30/wk, $120/month, maybe 10 dollars more.
                                Vegetables at CSA, about $32/month. Farm eggs with CSA discount, about $12/month.

Total $164 per month. Even including toiletries, that's still less than half of what we spend a month at the military commissary. And we thought we had it good, compared to others who are forced to shop at the local stores! But it seems it gets even better, not to mention that the food is fresh. And we'd have plenty of wiggle room in case prices go up.

*salivating*
                                Last edited by abstractpersona; 09-13-2011, 03:04 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X