Wendy's June Challenge

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wendy's June Challenge

I'm starting my first 30 day challenge tomorrow. I've gone a week here or there without sugar, but haven't done a full primal diet. I don't eat much dairy or wheat already? It's the sugar that's going to be challenging for me. I'm very apprehensive about the first week. I hate the sugar withdrawal.

A little about me. I'm 33,married with three girls ranging from 4 to 12. My husband is pretty much on board, but I can see him straying a bit this month. He said that he's excited to do this with me this month.

I've had my last bread. I'm starting my 30 days earlier than I was planning. I'm ready. I have marks book and cookbook and I just bought Everyday Paleo. I swear that book was written just for me.

I'm doing the challenge because I think it's the best way to eat. I hhave a disorder that. I think may go away with a better diet and I have a lot of weight to lose. Since I turned 30,it's seemed like my health has only been going down hill too fast for my age.

Tonight I'm going to make a whole chicken with curry roasted fennel and cauliflower. I've never roasted fennel so I hope it turns out well.
    Last edited by wendyland; 05-30-2011, 06:35 PM.

The fennel and cauliflower was awesome. I've never eaten a fennel bulb, just the seeds. It was yummy with curry. What isn't better with curry?

Comment

Originally posted by wendyland View Post
      I'm 33,married with three girls ranging from 44 to 12.
      LOL, seriously??

I've just started a June whole30 thread in the nutrition folder - join me! (For all I know it'll just be the two of us, lol).

Nice to meet you
      Started Feb 18 2011

Tried basic primal and almost everything else in pursuit of IBS control, mood stability, and weight loss.

Journalling here

Comment

44! Haha That's what I get for trying to type on my phone. That's supposed to be 4.

I'll look for the June thread. Thanks!

Comment

I didn't get around to listing my stats yesterday. I want to keep track of a couple stats to check my progress in a month. I can't believe I'm listing this in print.

My weight this morning was 240, down from 242 yesterday.
          Waist: 46
          total cholesterol: 212
          I didn't feel like taking other measurements. I'm more concerned about my waist measurement than the others.
          I also want to get my cholesterol checked in a couple months. If I get my total below 200, I'll get a discount on my health insurance.

I'm doing pretty well today. My hands are really swollen. I'm also feeling hungrier than normal. I'm not usually hungry in the morning.

So far, I've eaten:
          B - 3 big strawberries, 3 links of sausage
          S - unsweetened tea, 2 tsp coconut oil, a few slices of turkey, half a banana
          L - will be chicken and a salad

Comment

Day 1 is over!!! Yesterday kicked my butt. I didn't know the carb flu would start so soon for me. I thought I had a couple days. I have been so lethargic. I don't have as bad of a headache as I did yesterday, but my arms and legs feel like lead.

I was really tempted to eat some dark chocolate, but I didn't want to eat any sugar. I want to get through the change from running on carbs to fat faster. I did make coconut flour blueberry muffins. They were.....mmmm...edible....

I did a lot of searching last night on other people's experiences with the low carb flu. Some people talked about it lasting for weeks or months. I hope that's not the case for me. I wish I would have dropped a little more gradual this week, but when I've tried to do that before, I never fully committed. I feel like stopping cold turkey is better for me.

I also realize that I need more groceries. I did not have a good variety of food yesterday, but then I felt like crap in the afternoon and didn't want to go anywhere. I'll go get more food today.

Comment

Good move to get more food! I found that as long as I could eat and didn't try to restrict myself that I got through OK. It was when I added the diet mentality to the primal concepts that I really did myself damage, lol. Hang in there. . .
              Started Feb 18 2011

Tried basic primal and almost everything else in pursuit of IBS control, mood stability, and weight loss.

Journalling here

Comment

I started feeling much better after lunch today. I went to the international grocery store to see what goodies I could find. I picked up some ghee and vegetables. I also got a young coconut. It's been years since I had one. I blended the meat, water, cinnamon, vanilla, and ice together. It was so amazing that I felt like I was having a tropical cocktail. It was welcomed treat.

B: 4 links of sausage, coconut flour muffin
                L: 2 trader joe's chicken sausages, roasted cauliflower and bell peppers
                D: steak, broccoli (and mashed potatoes, I know, but I could have done worse)
                S: coconut drink, a few pecans, a few dried cherries, a couple slices of turkey

I think I ended up with about 1600 - 1700 calories for the day.

Comment

I didn't get an opportunity to post yesterday. I probably thought about cupcakes 500 times yesterday. It was rough, but I made it through the day (with the help of a lara bar). I was a little higher in carbs than I wanted to be. Probably around 85, but I'm not sweating it.

I'm finding that the hard part is eating enough calories. I barely made it to 1300 yesterday and I felt like I ate a ton. Maybe I should have a bit more coconut oil.

I had 4 turkey sausages and 2 small eggs for breakfast. I'm lucky to get cheap eggs from someone near our country home. They're outrageous here in the city. I feel so hoity toity saying that I have a country home. haha both of my homes are very modest for a family of 5. It is nice to have somewhere to go play on the weekends.

Had a salad for lunch, but it wasn't very big. I'm going to cook myself a hamburger for second lunch.

I am feeling a little more energetic today. Not as much cravings, unless I'm up close to something. I made the girls pb&j for lunch and it did look pretty good to me, but I wasn't overwhelmed with the need to eat it.

Comment

Even more energy today and less cravings. I'm averaging about 1400 calories a day. Carbs have been around 50 or 60. I'm happy with that.

I was surprised to find that my plantars fasciitis was much less painful when I woke up this morning. I've had it for three years. I was going to the doctor and it was getting better, but came back after going off the anti inflammatory.

My youngest seems more interested in eating vegetables. She ate quite a bit of her salad, half an avocado, and a chicken strips for lunch. I'm so glad that avocados are one of her favorites. My oldest will be the hardest to find foods for. She has been vegetarian from birth. I wish I knew then what is known now. I wouldn't have dated a vegan. She will eat sweet potatoes, carrots, and raw spinach. And too many soy foods. I've been weening them off.

I need to work on me first and get myself healthy before i can worry about my husband and kids. I've lost 5 lbs in 5 days. I know it's going to taped down, but it's still fun to see the scale to down. I'm usually starving and then binging by this day in a lower calorie diet. I can't believe I'm satisfied on so little calories.

Comment

I thought of something while I was in the shower this morning. (hmm.. why do I think so much better when naked?)

Anyway, I thought I should list my ailments before they go away and I forget that I ever had them. I'm trying to think of even the small things that bother me, so I can go to my doctors in the future and tell them all of the awesome things that happened to me by going primal.

My ailments:
                      Aquagenic pruritus - I'll be totally shocked and amazed if this goes away
                      chronic yeast infections
                      dandruff - already almost gone
                      plantars faciitis - 50% better so far
                      pimples - usually only during certain times of the month
                      minor rosacea
                      trouble falling asleep at night
                      mild depression - although it has been better since I've been taking CLO for months
                      dizziness, especially when bending over or laying on my stomach
                      short temper and feeling overwhelmed by life
                      low energy
                      slight ringing in ears - I think this one is due to candida problems
                      I get every cold or illness that my kids get. I had constant colds over the winter.
                      Sometimes I wake up with reflux - haven't had this all week

Comment

Today at noon, it will be one week. yeah!!! I'm so proud. It really hasn't been that hard. I feel like I'm riding a bike for the first time. 'I'm doing it, I'm doing it!' Now, It's just a matter of keeping my balance.

I'm down about 6 lbs. water weight, but still exciting. I barely made it over 1200 calories yesterday, but I felt satisfied. I don't think I'll log my calories as often now. maybe once in a while just to see where I am with carbs/calories/fat.

I'm anxious to see how I feel at the end of the month. I've been without sugar for 7 days, but never quit grains or dairy.

Comment

I made it through my lunch at the Olive Garden today with my dad and step-mom. I haven't been there in several years. It was ok. I had salad w/o croutons and soup. It was the only soup without pasta in it, but it did have potatoes and who knows what secret ingredient. I'm happy that I passed up bread sticks. Yeah!

It might be my imagination, but I swear these pants feel looser. I just washed them, so they're usually tight when I put them on. They didn't feel as tight. I can't believe they'd be loose already.

I'm heading to Trader Joes this afternoon. I'm not crazy about their jerky, but I might pick some up for emergency situations. Tomorrow will be my first day back in the office since starting primal. We usually go to lunch on Tuesdays. I need to come up with a suggestion before tomorrow.

Comment

I had a good afternoon yesterday. My foot pain was a little worse in the evening. I just went to Applebees with my coworkers. I got the ceasar salad and french onion soup. It's been years since I've had that soup. I forgot that it has bread in it. Oh well. I'll make sure I have a good dinner.

I was worried about breakfast this morning. I usually hit McDonalds on the way into work. Instead, I had fresh raspberries, some pecans, and some turkey. It was a weird breakfast, but satisfying.

Comment

I was pretty tired today. We had an earthquake last night. The sonic boom woke me up and then I heard stuff rattling and realized what was going on. It was around 3 am. I got up and make sure my daughter was ok, even though it was barely a rattle. The cats must have thought it was time to get up because they bugged me the rest of the night. I'm going to try to get to bed soon. I haven't been doing a good job of getting to sleep early.

I don't know if it was because I was tired, but I felt like I wanted something carby all day. I had a piece of dark chocolate. It was good, but I still wanted something. I ended up eating half an apple with sea salt and a few strawberries. That did the trick.

I made a really satisfying BAS. It had lettuce, tomoatoes, onions, cilantro, bacon and an avocado mayo dressing. I'm not a big salad eater, but I ate a huge bowl. I need to buy more bacon tomorrow. Or maybe I'll try it with taco meat.

Comment

Working...
                              X