Feathers and Bones - Orannhawk's Journal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by drssgchic View Post
    Now that is a good afternoon! I was trying to think of a song my ballroom dance partner and I like and I mused aloud wondering which Rob Zombie song it was. "No way- they wouldn't play something like that." Ha! Superfreak is a great hustle!

I'm sorry your back is acting up. Other than the chiro, are you doing any other kind of PT? Just wondering because I have lousy ankles- but the stronger my feet/legs/core are, the less likely I am to hurt myself. Maybe if you strenthened your core more, it could cushen the weaker points? Just a thought- since it's not like you work out much
    Grins .... I like Superfreak, but LOVE Superbeast !
    Haven't done anything other than Chiro in a while ... most of my workouts are all core and lower body though, I think a part of the owie is due to the continued work on the patio. I've been doing a deep squat when I am shoveling up the crushed granite which is less stressful on my low back, but man it puts the S into sore in the glutes and quads !!
    Giggling .... I actually didn't think I was working out much. Maybe that's an OCD thing ? LOL
    Everything's shiny, Cap'n. Not to fret.

Comment

• Originally posted by dsfhqlhlkq791
      If you check out CrossFit, they usually post the WOD's they do and you can do them on your own. I workout with a guy on occassion that is studying to be a CrossFit trainer and OMG that shit is awesome! You truly feel amazing and sore at the same time.

I've been looking for a Crossfit box near here ... without having the drive all the way into Austin. Will check out the main site and take a look at the WOD's .... The gym where I train is old school and comes close to some of the Crossfit workouts, but I would like to take it all up to a higher level now.

Comment

• So ... yesterday started out in an interesting way .... with a plumber digging up my backyard. My son woke me at 5:15 before he left for work, to let me know that the toilet was clogged and he had been unable to fix it. I called 7-8 plumbers in the area, getting estimates after learning that my usual guy was out of town. Why is it things like this occur on weekends or holidays ? LOL
        Finally had a recommendation for one guy and he was at the house in less than 30 minutes and his rates were less than half of the quotes from all the others !

He had the snake-line running into the clean-out for at least 15+ minutes before he hit something solid .... I was concerned that there were tree roots in the line, but after another 20+ minutes he was able to see what the culprit was .... it was solid grease. He pulled the line out and there were small chunks of what I thought was white plastic. I was stunned. Not what I expected !
        My immediate thought was that I have always been so careful about not pouring any grease down the sink, so how could that much grease get in the line ? It took well over an hour for the plumber to clear out the first section of the pipe and he still had to dig up the yard, cut into the pipe and do the second section to get it all out.
        I had not considered the dishwasher and the residue that may be on the dishes, or the washing machine and the natural oils from our skin .... and then the fact that evidently the line at this house has never been cleaned out. No clue if the previous owners were careful with the drains or not.

Now some people might look at this as a sign of not-so-great luck for the new year ... but I don't !
        I thought about this and looking at it from a different perspective I decided that this is a wonderful thing ... my little house just got cleared of all the old yucky excess solidified fat .... so if one is inclined to think of the home as a reflection of self, then this is a good thing !

Going to make some homemade chorizo today, so tomorrow I will have something yummy to eat after my IF. Picked up a big bag of pearl onions at the store and those are going to get pickled along with a few slices of carrot. Yummmm

Workout this morning was decent, still have some achy spots in the glutes and quads. Really quiet in the gym, only 4 of us even there. Wake up people ... time to move around and lift heavy things !!!

Comment

• Just in from the dentist (had a small filling re-done, no cavity, just a weird little dent on a tooth that is happier with a lil fill and buff ... makes it easier to chew things) .... broke today's fast with some raw spinach, avocado and some of the flat out rocking chorizo that I made yesterday. Oh my lard it was sooooo yummy.
          Sitting here waiting for my bro to phone me back, he's been keeping me on an even keel the past few days. Last two days have been on the weird side (even for me !) ... stressed out, tired, clumsy and so incredibly pissed off .... and I'm still not sure why. Thankfully when I woke up this morning I felt really good and had a good workout. Went easy on the lower body today, but ramped up the weights on upper body. Had a short nap on the dental couch waiting for the dentist, and actually dozed a little while she was working ... THAT in itself is not like me, considering that I've had to have full general anesthesia for all of the dental work over the past year, other than today and for the cleaning visits. Surprised me and really shocked her !

Get the blood and saliva tests done again on Friday so it will be interesting to see where I am with that by now ... can't help but wonder if the hormones are what made me all spazzy earlier this week.

Comment

• I'll never forget the time I had to have three fillings done in the same visit. Fell asleep during the first, woke up when the last one was done!!
            Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

• Originally posted by hellokit9713
              We're starting the 30-day menu from Everyday Paleo (the book from the blog) today. It's so nice to not have to figure out what we're going to eat for dinner...

I love the Everyday Paleo book .... I've been going through it as well as my other paleo and primal cookbooks to come up with some special yummy foods to take to an after the holidays party on the 14th. I know I will be making stuffed eggs (a variation of deviled eggs with crispy bacon, shallots and herbs all mixed into the yolks) ... I made them for another gathering and they were a big hit. Just not sure what else I may come up with .... maybe smoking some venison, and if I can quit devouring the little pickled pearl onions they may make an appearance too. Most likely will have to make another batch of them !

Comment

• Good chiro session this morning and thankfully I got extra time on my neck and shoulders. Scalene muscles were so tight and tense, I felt like a Cardassian in full make-up (aka Deep Space Nine .... not Kardashian with a ton of cosmetic make-up !)

Heading to Austin in the morning to do the blood sucker thing and pick up supplies at Whole Foods. I haven't been there in months now, but I am keeping to my list and not giving into temptation. Well .... maybe if they have some fresh dandelion greens or good watercress. I'm out of some basics like the sea salt that I like and coconut, and non fluoride toothpaste.

Cedar fever stuff is evidently kicking in here and late afternoon I started to feel awful .... I was supposed to be on a conference call last night and slept through it, slept until 7:15 this morning when one of the dogs insisted I get up and take him outside now !
                I've felt fair most of the day once the headache passed, but now the sneezing and congestion are slamming me good. Have some tea brewing and then I'm heading to bed.

I got all the plants set back outside this afternoon, then went to the car wash and washed the truck and vacuumed it out. Foamed it down pretty fast, but sure could have used a step ladder for the top ... it never gets as shiny as the rest of the truck.
                But, speaking of SHINY ... I found little Firefly ships, solid metal with a pewter finish on thinkgeek.com . Picked up two and gave one to my son. It's actually a key chain, but I took the big loop off, then used pewter finished bead chain and hung it on my rear view mirror. Looks shiny !

Broke the IF today with spinach, chicken breast, a few olives, sliced onions and 6 fresh cherries. Going to indulge with a few more cherries, drink my tea and dream ....

Comment

• Just broke the IF with some fresh Dino kale, leftover ground, bacon, okra and onions ... ate an entire jumbo sized bunch of kale. I have missed that soooo much ... it was so good ! Needless to say this will be my one meal for the day. Found a fairly good buy on organic lemons at Whole Foods, picked up a lot of kale, some arugula and watercress, coconut and sea salt. So, so tempted with the dates there .... naturally the bins are right there close to the coconut LOL, but I didn't give in.
                  Inside of my arm has a nice bruise going on, although the RN is very easy with the draws, I still bruise and the tape added to it.

Traffic was crazy bad, so many delays and one-laners with lots of road construction. Turned on the CD player and just drove.

Comment

• Crapazz sleep last night ... got up at 6, walked the dogs, marveled at the fog (2nd day in a row). Had to take the Old Man to the Vet, my poor little guy has an ear infection .... he was soooo growly grumpy. On doggie meds now, and finally resting quietly.
                    My congestion is easier today, but I'm to the point where I'm heading to the Advil bottle. Headache and the scalene muscles are absolutely doing me in. Ice has helped a little, but I am tired and need some sleep. Had planned to get a lot of things done this weekend, but it looks like my plans are going to be changed and it will be a rest weekend.

No clue on what I am cooking later to break the IF ... everything is frozen solid, so unless I eat a can of sardines (which sounds pretty yummy right now) it will be a while anyway.

Comment

• Ended today's IF with a big bunch of fresh arugula, bacon and eggs. Got a little more done today, including planning out some meals for the rest of the week. Have chicken defrosting in the frig, taking some venison out tomorrow or Tuesday to make a big stew thing, and contemplating what to take to the get-together on Saturday.
                      Heading to bed, have to leave early in the morning for an appointment, hopefully get out of town before the traffic starts with the schools ...

I totally forgot to do the damn spit test thing this morning, until I was sitting here sipping on some tea and realizing that I have to do the first vial before having anything to drink (or eat) ..... can't do it tomorrow, so Tuesday it is, as well as rescheduling the follow-up on that to allow time for the results to get to the doctor. I was so focused on getting the dogs meds taken care of this morning that I didn't even think about what else I needed to do .... but, my furbaby is feeling better today, even played some with my other dog.

Comment

• You eat a lot of arugula and okra. Just sayin'
                        People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

Comment

• Originally posted by IcarianVX View Post
                          You eat a lot of arugula and okra. Just sayin'
                          Giggling .... Yes, I do. Not in massive quantities though (save spinach for that !). Arugula is soooo yummy though, especially drizzled with some warm bacon grease and some bacon & eggs on the side.

Comment

• Got up early this morning to head to gym, but I kept having a gut feeling that I needed to stay ... and as I was taught by my grandfather and my Elders, I listened and stayed home. Both dogs were running around happily and the little old man was sure feeling better since I took him in on Saturday for his ear infection. They played, barked, played again and curled up on the couch for some sun time. I was sitting here at the computer to check my email and I looked up and he was foaming at the mouth and in a seizure. I got to him in seconds and held him, the seizure was a long one and left him disoriented to the point that he couldn't stand. Luckily my son was here and we got him to the vets office in less than 30 minutes and now have him on a anti-seizure med ... he was still disoriented when we got back, and for a brief time, very agitated, almost to the point of aggressive.
                            When we first got in, he walked in the house back and forth, over and over and over, as if he was teaching himself where everything was again ... to the point it was like he was pacing the floors.
                            Needless to say, my stress level today has been high and my stomach burning and nauseated as a result. Then after one trying moment with him when he growled and attempted to snap at my hand, he was totally calm, giving me kisses and went to the living room, hopped up on the couch and to the backrest, curled up in the sun and went to sleep. He's up there now with his "sucky" (an unstuffed rabbit toy) just as calm and content as he can be.

I've read about how beneficial coconut oil is for Alzheimers, epileptic seizures and other illnesses, I'm wondering if a little coconut oil would be good for my little Boston ?

My son made a beautiful stir fry tonight of broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, carrot, squash, peas and chicken, so although my stomach is not at all happy, I am going to sit down and eat a little bit.

Comment

• I'm sorry to hear about the old man! I don't see any reason that a little coconut oil couldn't be tried. Dogs are more omniverious than cats, so he should be able to handle it. I bet a cuddle with him would be good for your stress level, too. It's hard when pets get old. There's so little you can do aside from being there for them.
                              http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

Originally Posted by TheFastCat: Less is more more or less

And now I have an Etsy store: CattailsandCalendula

Comment

• Originally posted by drssgchic View Post
                                I'm sorry to hear about the old man! I don't see any reason that a little coconut oil couldn't be tried. Dogs are more omniverious than cats, so he should be able to handle it. I bet a cuddle with him would be good for your stress level, too. It's hard when pets get old. There's so little you can do aside from being there for them.
                                He's doing so much better today, snarly still when I try to give him the salt solution stuff for the seizures ... I think he is afraid of the syringe, so I'm going to try and put it in a small dish tomorrow and see if he will take it then. No issues with getting the ear solution in now, which is awesome. Played a lot with Sage (my other Boston) this morning and now they are both snoozing and snoring in the sun.

I knew he was getting back to his old self last night when he came in and started barking at me nonstop until I went to the recliner and sat down, so he could jump up, give me kisses and go to sleep in my lap. He's a snuggly spoiled old man. Grins

Comment

Working...
                                X