Feathers and Bones - Orannhawk's Journal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Flaura View Post
    Nooo! No getting sick. I've noticed that there is something going around over here, too.
    Here are some cold prevention tips from a dirty-hippie Oregonian (hey, we live with that damp chill 7 months out of the year, I know my stuff):
    1. Neti Pot (use it often when feeling congested)
    2. Ginger tea: take a large chunk of raw ginger(1-1.5 inches?), chop coarsely, boil in 1 a quart of water with honey to taste, for half an hour or so. It should smell (and taste) very strong. Add whiskey if desired.
    3. Hot Toddy: in a mug put 1 shot whiskey with 1 tsp. honey and the juice of 1 lemon, cover with boiling water.
    4. Whiskey induced sleep.
    5. get someone to make you chicken soup, once you're sick it's too much work to make a batch yourself.

Hope you manage to avoid the ick. Or that it passes soon...
    Not feeling too bad today, just a lot of congestion and sneezing ... eating ginger raw. Grins, I grew up on whiskey, hot water and sugar ... for colds, cramps, and on occasion a feigned illness LOL !
    I think it's whatever blew in with the front we had, so that should pass soon.
    Everything's shiny, Cap'n. Not to fret.

Comment

• Scrambled a mess of eggs this morning with onions, shrooms and the leftover slice of roast beast that I hid in the frig ... already 4:30 now and I haven't bothered to eat again. Really draggy, sneezy still and that just pisses me off royally.
      Have some roast chicken from last night that I am adding to a BAS shortly, then I'm curling up in the recliner with a blanket.

Comment

• Hope you get better soon. I am gonna send you some Sluggy Freelance to read. That will cheer you up and you will "get it."
        People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

Comment

• Originally posted by IcarianVX View Post
          Hope you get better soon. I am gonna send you some Sluggy Freelance to read. That will cheer you up and you will "get it."
          Woooohoooo !!!

Comment

• TEXAS 52 ... Texas Tech 20

GO HORNS !

Comment

• Eggs, bacon, spinach and arugula
              chicken, eggs
              BAS of spinach, arugula, shrooms, olives, bacon

Still sneezing, but it's been a nice bacon-ie day !

Comment

• LEMON TREES !
                Picked up two yesterday , lovely Meyers Lemon trees .... and debating on going back to get a lime. Holes are dug and tomorrow they will be set and staked. Caught them on sale and the sales guy gave me a bigger discount on them since i bought four. (The other two are for my Mom) They were originally marked at 32.89, listed at 22.00 when I saw them a week ago ... and I paid 11.00 per tree ! Nice savings of 87.56 !!! Wooohoooo !

So on with the meals for the day ...

4 eggs, bacon, spinach and coffee
                spinach and kale salad with onions, a drizzle of bacon grease and 4 boiled eggs
                baked chicken and asparaus

Comment

• Originally posted by Orannhawk View Post
                  LEMON TREES !
                  Picked up two yesterday , lovely Meyers Lemon trees ....
                  Mmmmm Meyer Lemons!! You can grow those outside in Texas? My grandmother had a Meyer lemon tree. It was in a pot that had wheels on the bottom of it. She wheeled it outside in the summer and back in the garage in the winter. It thrived and produced surprisingly large crops of lemons despite the cold damp winters and all the jostling around it received. It was kind of magical.

Sooo is it hunting season in Texas yet?

I picked up some new arrows on Saturday and ordered heavier limbs (40-50 lbs). Late season starts Nov. 19th here. I need to get to target practicing.

I hear that hunting in Texas is totally different than hunting in Oregon. My Uncle has a friend who is from Texas. He comes up to hunting camp sometimes. He tells stories of hunting on private land, getting dropped off by a pickup and spending the day in those tree stand things, hunting javelina. I have never been to Texas, never seen a javelina, or an armadillo for that matter...it sounds like a foreign country.
                  (field) journal
                  primal start-weight (3/11): 154
                  current weight (8/25/2012): 141

Comment

• Originally posted by Flaura View Post
                    Mmmmm Meyer Lemons!! You can grow those outside in Texas? My grandmother had a Meyer lemon tree. It was in a pot that had wheels on the bottom of it. She wheeled it outside in the summer and back in the garage in the winter. It thrived and produced surprisingly large crops of lemons despite the cold damp winters and all the jostling around it received. It was kind of magical.

Sooo is it hunting season in Texas yet?

I picked up some new arrows on Saturday and ordered heavier limbs (40-50 lbs). Late season starts Nov. 19th here. I need to get to target practicing.

I hear that hunting in Texas is totally different than hunting in Oregon. My Uncle has a friend who is from Texas. He comes up to hunting camp sometimes. He tells stories of hunting on private land, getting dropped off by a pickup and spending the day in those tree stand things, hunting javelina. I have never been to Texas, never seen a javelina, or an armadillo for that matter...it sounds like a foreign country.
                    Winters here aren't too extreme, we will have some days that are pretty bitter, but then within a day or so its warmed up again. If it's going to freeze I have the cold weather bag things that I can put over them at night.
                    Season started Saturday ...
                    It is different here, but it depends on where you are hunting. I've never hunted where you are dropped off at a stand and stay there ... but I know there are places where it's done. Most of the time those places will also dictate what you can shoot ... can't even imagine hunting that way. I think most often those are day hunts.

All of the leases we were on - we leased direct from the landowner. We put up our own tripods and stands, camphouse or tent ... and there was no one else hunting it but us. Most of the leases we were on for a number of years and we became good friends with the owners. I hunt on my own property now, as well as on my cousin's place. No javelina here, they are primarily in deep south Texas. Here we have the feral hogs that literally rip up your land, kill livestock and anything else that gets in their way. Some of the ones killed last year were weighing out between 200-500 lbs. Mean sunsabitches too.
                    Grins .... javelina are pesky little buggers ! The dillas are cool though, I love to watch them and hear them snort ! Yes, Texas is like a foreign country in many ways ! LOL

I generally stay on the ground, so I can see sign, rattle and not be confined to a stand. And with the ferals around, I usually skip the morning hunts. They are usually moving through in the early morning, just before full sunrise ... I have no desire to be on the ground with them then ! LOL
                    I've thought about putting up a stand and hunting the early morning, but I just haven't done it yet. Maybe for next season.

Comment

• That is awesome that you have enough land to hunt! My neighbors growing up always had their family over during hunting season since their significant acerage was backed up to farmland. Nothing the deer liked better

I'm curious about the leases. Do you just lease the hunting rights, or the land itself, or what? (Still working on how to have wild land that can help support itself- and I've got nothing against sensible hunters.)

You know- Texas was a foreign country for a while. There are times I'm not sure if they're part of the US in name only . . .
                      http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

Originally Posted by TheFastCat: Less is more more or less

And now I have an Etsy store: CattailsandCalendula

Comment

• Originally posted by drssgchic View Post
                        That is awesome that you have enough land to hunt! My neighbors growing up always had their family over during hunting season since their significant acerage was backed up to farmland. Nothing the deer liked better

I'm curious about the leases. Do you just lease the hunting rights, or the land itself, or what? (Still working on how to have wild land that can help support itself- and I've got nothing against sensible hunters.)

You know- Texas was a foreign country for a while. There are times I'm not sure if they're part of the US in name only . . .

The leasing varies according to the land owner ... in my case, I have my property leased for grazing rights (only) to my Dad's first cousin. His property adjoins mine, and since I don't currently have cattle, this gives him the option to have his cattle graze both properties.
                        Some land owners will lease their land for hunting during the season, but it is specific to whatever stipulations the land owner has. When I was growing up, we had the keys to the property that we leased usually a month ahead of time, plus we would usually go out around September and just pick up the keys for the weekend, do a walk around, pick out where we wanted to put up stands, etc. Normally we would go again up to a month before opening weekend and get stands, tripods and ladders set up, and usually set up camp 2-3 days before opening day.
                        At that time, the state Wildlife Department provided landowners with a record book that was kept by the individual who was leasing the hunting rights, and each deer taken had to be recorded into the book, along with the pertinent info of the hunter's name, date of kill, points, license, etc. I don't know if that is still the same or not.

Comment

• Yesterday's meals were on track ... eggs, bacon, spinach, followed by chicken, avocado and a ton of raw spinach and baby kale. Dinner last night was a BAS of spinach, butter lettuce, baby kale, avocado, onion, shrooms, radishes, bacon with a nice swirl of olive oil.

Headed out to hunt yesterday after the little front blew in ... driving in, dodging mesquites and running over a few too. Walking in, passed by a fat armadillo, had to stop and watch it 'root around' for a few. Found my favorite mesquite and settled in to wait and watch. One pesky little squirrel decided to run around me for well over thirty minutes, at one point setting on a branch just above my head. Hawks were out, a few rabbits here and there. Just as the sun started to get low, I finally saw a little doe. She stood and watched me for a long time, flagging every little bit. She wandered around eating, then went under the fence and on up into the pasture.
                          More does came out of the creek bottom, on a neighboring property. Right at dusk I spotted a little buck, there was not enough light to count points and he was well across the fence anyway. Walking back to my truck, the moon was already out and up (which that alone screwed up any hunting anyway!) so I decided to play with the little buck, at that time he was closer to the fence line. I moved back and forth between small mesquites just to watch him and then 'blew' (basically a blowing snort sound like the does will do) ... it was fun to watch him throw his head up and look, stomp his foot ... Got back to the truck, started out and turned the lights on low, just enough to make sure I didn't run over the bigger mesquites ... and ended up circling around two fat skunks. By the time I got out of my gate and down the road a few feet, I could hear something under the truck.
                          I had a big branch wedged up in high center. I threw down my old serape and crawled part of the way under the truck, but I couldn't get the damn thing loose. Stupid thing would not budge and I couldn't break it.
                          Finally ended up calling my son and he drove out. He crawled under and in 5 seconds pulled the thing out. I was pulling to the side ... he pulled to the front. Geeesh ....
                          Anyway, while I was throwing the serape back in the truck, he was checking the tires for any big thorns (the mesquites can do some major crap to tires) and he found a big screw imbedded in my front tire. So, it's down at the tire place now. Hopefully it will be a plug/seal job and all will be well.

Meals today ... eggs, chicken and spinach
                          Lunch and dinner today ... BAS with chicken or a salmon steak, ground chicken patty w/a cabbage and chopped spinach slaw

Comment

• Glad to hear that you are gettin out there!! I agree with Drssgchic, it is great that you have land of your own!! That is certainly my dream...
                            We have feral hogs here, too, but no javelina. The hogs sound scary (but delicious)...now I'm thinking feral hog bacon...mmmm
                            (field) journal
                            primal start-weight (3/11): 154
                            current weight (8/25/2012): 141

Comment

• Just picked up the truck and thankfully the screw in the tire was a little bitty tap screw that didn't even pierce into the tire. No mesquite thorns either. WoooooHoooo !
                              The down side .... I'm not accustomed to riding in my son's Camry very often and when I got out at the tire place, I went to shut the door, and with the high wind as a factor and the fact that I was leaning too far down, the upper edge of the door slammed into my face, hit my upper cheek bone and temple and damn near laid me out on the fracking pavement. HOLY CRAP ... I walked into the place and I guess I was walking wobbly, coz the guy looked at me and immediately said "I think you should sit down."
                              Have some interesting bruising going on. I normally don't hit the Advil, but I did a few minutes ago. Dayum this just fracking HURTS.

Wind is so high today and with the moon last night, going to skip hunting today and get back out tomorrow. I don't have a lot of land Flaura, but it's mine and it backs up to the creek, and it's been in the family for generations and happily the deer are there now.
                              Last edited by Orannhawk; 11-10-2011, 05:19 PM.

Comment

• Sore as hell today, hurts to move my face, smile ... laugh ... eye lid, upper cheek bone, temple area is still swollen and bruised. I feel like I was hit with a car (door) or something ... WAIT .... sumbitch, I was !
                                LOL ... at least laughing on here doesn't hurt my face ! WOOOHOOOO !
                                Sat outside most of the afternoon and worked on a gourd drum and enjoyed the birds at the feeder.

Meals are basic
                                4 eggs, bacon, two big handfuls of raw spinach
                                chicken, olives, onions on a huge pile of spinach and baby kale, light drizzle of olive oil
                                chicken, onion & cabbage 'salsa' stuff, spinach and romaine mix

Comment

Working...
                                X